Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hello folks.
I am a guitar player who uses BIAB. I am trying to find a solution to get me away from the computer keyboard entry. I don’t play keyboards, but am pretty facile on the fretboard.

I am looking at buying a Godin Multiac and Roland Synth and patch into the midi that way. However it is costly. Good gear, but expensive.

The Godin rep has suggested I look at the following:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godintripleplayp.htm

do you have any experience with it? Does it work with BIAB?
And if so, any feedback.

Many thanks.
RB

S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Hi, check this video discussing FretLight Guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXfHDYw2sk

I believe the price is reasonable considering all that it has. You can also hook this up with Guitar Pro 6 (software).

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=product#/outils

So FretLight guitar will work with BIAB and GP6.

Hope this helps.

added text: FretLight uses a USB cable.

Last edited by soolan; 03/26/14 02:31 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Check out the Fishman MIDI interface: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriplePlayPU

This is a MIDI controller that should work with BiaB.

If my old Casio Strat MIDI controller ever dies this is what I am going to get. I will attach it to my guitar but if I get rid of that guitar I will pull the Fishman out and put it on another. It looks like this is very cost effective plus it is getting very high ratings.

Good luck.

PS – but be forewarned that you have to be very meticulous when playing a guitar MIDI controller. Strumming open chords can lead to false readings. Also be prepared to do a little MIDI editing. Cleaner playing will yield the best results.

Think of playing a guitar MIDI controller as a new instrument. It takes a little time to learn what you can and can not do.

Been there – done that!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: rbsoulman
Hello folks.
I am a guitar player who uses BIAB. I am trying to find a solution to get me away from the computer keyboard entry. I don’t play keyboards, but am pretty facile on the fretboard.

I am looking at buying a Godin Multiac and Roland Synth and patch into the midi that way. However it is costly. Good gear, but expensive.

And if so, any feedback.

Many thanks.
RB

I don't have experience with that specific guitar, but have used a Roland GR-20 guitar synthesizer with Band-in-a-Box (recording MIDI, chord detection, etc.). As long as you are connecting to the computer via MIDI (eg. a USB to MIDI interface) then it should work with Band-in-a-Box.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Was a techie gopher for good friend of mine using
Shadow guitar midi pickup(now obsolete). About 4-5 years of support.

Not BIAB, but did drive first a Korg I-40 first class for
about 4 years with him. Then set it up, driving a Yamaha PSR-3000.

Quote:
MarioD PS – but be forewarned that you have to be very meticulous when playing a guitar MIDI controller. Strumming open chords can lead to false readings. Also be prepared to do a little MIDI editing. Cleaner playing will yield the best results.

Think of playing a guitar MIDI controller as a new instrument. It takes a little time to learn what you can and can not do.

The guitar tuning was extremely crucial, but as Mario mentioned, you
learn it.

Last edited by seeker; 03/26/14 02:12 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Expert
Expert
Mario...
Ahh, so true, about having a
smooth, but determined (clean) touch when jamming with a mid guitar.

Your talent for recording with a midi guitar was self evident...sort of "Easy Does It", like Sinatra would sing it!

Remember about your asking me about my "Pat Metheny" midi ax, the Roland 303, and the accompanying midi conversion unit from Roland, the GM-70 rack unit.

Well, you know I still have it, and used it on six albums I recorded in my own mobil studio, when MP3.COM, the number one source for recording destinations, especially midi types...was "the rage, in the "early years" of sites, before the Clouds swept into the current scene for recoding sites for us.

Last edited by GDaddy; 03/26/14 02:58 PM.

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Expert
Expert
Mario...
Ahh, so true, about having a
smooth, but determined (clean) touch when jamming with a mid guitar.

Your talent for recording with a midi guitar was self evident...sort of "Easy Does It", like Sinatra would sing it!

Remember about your asking me about my "Pat Metheny" midi ax, the Roland 303, and the accompanying midi conversion unit from Roland, the GM-70 rack unit.

Well, you know I still have it, and used it on six albums I recorded in my own mobil studio, when MP3.com was owned by Bartelsman in Europe long ago, as a destination for uploading your midi material, and then, for a small cost, producing these en-masse, for not much money for self distribution, and also teir web site was great for showcasting individual tunes you had in your album. Sort of far ahead of the times in the 50's and 60's...but, lots of fun and easy production on that now defunct site.

Long live midi recording...I've got to get into it again. Nowadays we can look at PG and others, including "n-Tracks.com"l to offer some nice and easy ways to "get into it"!!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: rbsoulman
Hello folks.

And if so, any feedback.

Many thanks.
RB

The Godin MIDI guitars are an excellent choice IMHO.

Be advised that for MIDI use, the style and type of guitar is not all that important, really, things like a Strat shape and accompanying magnetic pickups and etc. are handy if you are onstage and need to switch back and forth between MIDI and "real" guitar quickly. In the studio, a dedicated MIDI guit that maybe does not have to ever be used as a real guitar may represent a better value, especially for someone who has already invested in their guitars that sound and look great.

The Godin MultiAC can sound exactly like any of their other MIDI guitars, simply because the guitar itself does not have anything at all to do with the sounds produced in MIDI.

Another path to investigate would be the Roland GK series of MIDI pickup along with any Roland GR Guitar synthesizer - the synthesizer is needed here to convert the pickup output to MIDI and plug into the computer - but you can use even the very first GR models for this, ignoring their internal soundbank if desired. GR-20s are available used for next to nothing these days. GK pickup can be mounted on just about any steel string guitar you already own, either temporarily via double-sticky backed tape, or it can be rather permanently mounted to the guitar via screws as well.

Its already been mentioned that the MIDI Guitar involves a slightly different playing approach. But with a bit of time spent practicing on the thing, that should go away in about a week or so for most, if they are of the mindset that they want to be able to get the work done.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Any midi controller should work with BIAB. However most guitars claiming to have built-in midi only include a hex pickup and a Roland (not midi) standard 13 pin connector for use with a hex to midi converter box. The midi converter box traditionally also includes midi sound module or synth audio output in addition to midi output.

Another solution is adding midi capability to an existing guitar. The Fishman Triple Play is the newest addition to this product family and is receiving good reviews.

Third option is a purpose built guitar midi controller. Casio owned this product family in the eighties and early nineties but currently offer no products which is really sad because they offered some good and affordable products. The only product I currently know of in this family is Inspired Instrument's YouRock Guitar, also called the YRG-1000. It offers both din (five pin) and USB midi out connections. Editor software is available for firmware upgrades and customization.

Both the Fishman Triple Play or YouRock guitar might suit you and are available from Guitar Center or Musician's Friends online for about $300 US.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Starr Labs http://www.starrlabs.com/
is another guitar controller in the style of RockGuitar, that is contact keys in place of strings and frets. I didn’t mention them before as they are quite expensive, in the thousands USD.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Great point Mario.

StarrLabs has been building midi guitar controllers since the early nineties so their products should be mentioned. Their engineering and innovations raise the bar for other manufactures.

I just don't agree with their vision. I think their products are visual works of art but are not that useful to most guitar players that are also interested in using midi. I think there is too much of an adjustment required when buttons are intergrated into the fretboard instead of strings. The YouRock controller fretboard has six raised surfaces running the length of the fretboard that have a look and feel similiar to strings. There are also raised "frets".

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Howdy all.
It’s a glorious morning here in rural Yukon.

Thanks for all the suggestions and directions.
I head ’outside’ on tour next week and will be ordering my ‘solution’ – not sure what yet – before I leave so it’s here when I get home at the end of April.

If the group is interested, I’ll post what I end up buying and how it seems to be working.

Again, many thanks for all the help.
RB

Veteran
Veteran
Yes please post what you get, how you like it and a recording of you using it.

S
Expert
Expert
S
PG should be using something like this when recording any RealTrack guitars so you would get "Real" RealCharts and the assocated midi file with the RealTracks.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Originally Posted By: solidrock
PG should be using something like this when recording any RealTrack guitars so you would get "Real" RealCharts and the assocated midi file with the RealTracks.

As I understand it, they do. But not for eery guitar realtrack.

Peter G. was excited about getting their collective hands on one of the Godin guitars several years ago, BTW.

But we also have to consider that various artists may greatly prefer to use their own guitars when recording the realtracks as well, so it is likely a mixed bag in that respect.

--Mac

S
Expert
Expert
S
Not sure where they are really using it as none of the RealCharts have any bends etc. when played back thru a VSTi and none of the midi super tracks have guitar.
The good thing with the TriplePlay is it just holds on with double side tape so I think any Session muso could easily stick it to their guitar in a few seconds.
There is even pickups for Mandolin Violin Bass.

Veteran
Veteran
I finally got around to watching the demo video for the triple play, and I thought it was awesome!

I have a different Godin Midi guitar and also a Roland GK- type setup, and I have found the cables to be problematic. This wireless model would eliminate that problem completely... you'd never have glitches from a cable that has an "iffy" connection. You also wouldn't have to worry that moving around on stage might cause the cable to pull loose.

Also the cables must be plugged into a proprietary Roland 13 pin MIDI input, which means you also have to buy a device that has the right MIDI jack (not the same as all the reasonably priced 5 pin MIDI to USB adapters you can buy everywhere)

The USB connection would get you going without having to buy additional gear. And it's a really nice guitar that would retain or grow its value, if you ever decided to sell it later. Some of the other options are interesting technology, but they are niche products that might be harder to resell.

Everything stated above is based on my own preferences and observations, not on empirical data... I think all of the suggestions in the thread have been excellent, and any of them would provide you with a solution that works in BIAB.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The 13-pin connect is not because Roland did anything "proprietary" to the MIDI connect, its just that the GK pickup is just that, only the pickup, with a separate magnetic pickup for each string.

That's not MIDI data.

The 13 connections = 2 wires for each string's separate pickup plus one for the grounded shield around them.

The conversion of that analog audio single string output to MIDI note data takes place in the synthesizer box, it is quite a bit of electronics in order to do that.

Things have gotten much smaller since that Roland design, today the electronics to convert the analog string output to MIDI data can be done in a much smaller footprint.

But today we now also have other options, that can take the same Analog 1/4" output of any good guitar pickup and convert that to MIDI data via a tiny USB connector.

Check this out:

http://shop.sonuus.com/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=9552eac0ffe309c318bf919a4a533f58

Good Times

It can only do Single Notes, though.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Hey, COOL device, Mac!

Price is right too!

The ad Mac posted didn't have ordering info, but here's a link to musician's friend's ad for the sonuus G2M
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/sonuus-g2m-universal-guitar-to-midi-converter

the device in Mac's video was the I2M, and here's a link to it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/sonuus-i2m-musicport-universal-midi-converter-and-usb-interface?pfm=sp

Both devices provide an awesome "bang for the buck" compared to just about any other guitar-to-MIDI solution

Thanks for posting, Mac!

(it still wouldn't break my heart to find a Godin Triple Play under the Christmas tree though....)

update: reviews are mixed. You may want to read them before buying.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 04/08/14 09:02 AM. Reason: product reviews
Veteran
Veteran
and if you just want to add Fishman's Triple Play wireless system to the guitar you already have...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fishman-TriplePlay-Wireless-Guitar-Controller-108750076-i2944624.gc

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,389
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.