Tidying up the repertoire of a band I play in, I'm working on a version of "Darktown Strutters' Ball".

This has a four-bar introduction, followed by four twenty-bar choruses and a further partial chorus of sixteen bars with a ten-bar tag to finish.

The choruses are all very similar, and I want to make a compact lead-sheet constructed thus:

Bars 1 to 4 - Intro - 4 bars
Bars 5 to 24 - Chorus - 20 bars with 4 repeats
Bars 25 to 34 - tag, which starts after bar 20 of the 4th repeat.

Simple, I thought!

1. Delete bars 25 to 100, leaving me with Intro, Chorus and Tag.
2. Set up the 4 repeats of bars 5 to 24.
3. Set up the tag, to start after bar 20 with a jump to bar 25 and continue to the end.

Not so simple! The melody of the tag is blanked in the process.

Obviously, I can just re-enter the melody for the tag to complete the job, but there are several other pieces in the band's repertoire which will require similar treatment, and I'd prefer not to have to do unnecessary donkey work.

I've tried copying the tag before doing any other editing, and then pasting it after step 3, but the wrong melody notes are copied in (I think it's a ten-bar section of the chorus, out-of-phase with the chords, but I haven't checked this thoroughly).

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

PS I've tried setting up the tag so that it starts after bar 24, and that gets the melody notes in the right place - the only problem being that the jump to the tag is four bars too late. Correcting this results in the tag melody being shifted on by four bars, and having bars 21 to 24 inserted into the gap.

Last edited by foxylady; 09/12/14 03:20 AM.