Print Thread
Go To
#273727 12/10/14 05:10 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello all. When I import a standard MIDI file into BIAB, the entire file is put in the Melody track. Is there any way to import the individual MIDI tracks into BIAB for editing? (v.2014).

Thanks,

Bob

90 dB #273739 12/10/14 07:21 AM
Veteran
Veteran
NO (not that I know of)

and if its a type 0 it's all or nothing but at least if it is a type 1 file you should be able to thin the heard to just the track or tracks (channels actually) you want on the melody track of BIAB

I've never tried the import MIDI chords function however

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
90 dB #273742 12/10/14 07:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't done this, but my understanding is you can use the green SEQ button to break out parts if this is a format 1 type MIDI file. I have also read that RealBand will separate out the individual parts.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #273794 12/10/14 01:12 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Well yes and no - I have different idea of "break out" or import individual MIDI tacks than the green "Seq" button performs. But maybe that's what Bob wants, and it probably is (just not as clean as breaking into separate BIAB TRACKS).

I assumed the desired structural outcome was individual MIDI channels placed on the corresponding different BIAB tracks (i.e., Channel 2 goes to "bass" track; Channel 3 goes to "piano" track; Ch 10 goes to "drum" track ) if that's desired outcome take file into RB as Matt suggested, otherwise that is not going to happen. Unless I missed how to do it (always possible)

What the "Seq' button does allow you to do is select which channels to play (all, some, none), which to display, and also allows you to break out/split channels on the LEAD sheet.

However, you can EDIT the whole MIDI file (with or without the Seq button being used) using the "#" key (it is next to instruments lists: B P D G S M S # ) you can edit events: notes, program changes, etc. - but it still all stays on the Melody track.

PS Actually unless, and until, BIAB expands to a FULL 16 channel/track/part "band" it would be dangerous fro BIAB to allow a MIDI Type 1 file to be parsed to separate BIAB tracks/parts: since you might be trying to force 16 channels into 7 tracks (or 8 if you include thru or 12 if you include the harmony channels) - that is 2 pounds into a one pound bag as it were.

I guess BIAB could make a "read" check to see if the .MID file had 7 or less channels then just go ahead and parse, or similar strategy but up to PG to come up with method (or not).

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
90 dB #273863 12/10/14 10:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
This question has come up many times. If a midi file were to go onto the individual Biab instrument tracks, what's the point of Biab generating it's parts on those same instrument tracks? Isn't that the numero uno reason for Biab's existence? It creates parts for you, it's not a simple midi file player except for putting a file on the melody track.

This is one of the primary reasons for the creation of Real Band. Real Band combines the full midi capabilities of Power Tracks with most Biab functions. It will separate a type 1 midi file onto separate tracks with one mouse click. It will also separate a complete midi drum track onto separate tracks with another single mouse click. I did that once using a complex latin drum track that included full percussion in addition to the basic drums. Holy crap, it was something like 12-15 tracks. Just the drums alone took up the whole track view. But this is a big deal for those like me who have a good drum plugin like Jamstix. To have complete control over individual drum kit parts with percussion like that is lots of fun. Once I had my sound and mix of different elements of the drums I recombined them into 3 or 4 tracks.

RB is the midi monster here not Biab. Those who know more about this than I do have said that RB is one of the best and easiest to use midi editors out there which is one more reason why I keep telling people they should learn RB at the same time they're learning Biab. It's a shame so many seem to think that RB is some kind of weak sister that PG just "throws in" with Biab.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
90 dB #273883 12/11/14 01:53 AM
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the advice. I am aware that RB will open Type 1 MIDI. Maybe I should have explained exactly what I'm trying to do. I have a MIDI (Type 1) that contains signature phrases that BIAB will not replicate (otherwise I would just use BIAB for the song). My normal procedure is to open the MIDI in Sonar, replace the MIDI tracks with samples, mix and save. Easy.

In this case, I need to transpose the MIDI, and I want to audition different BIAB styles, to find a better match. I can transpose in Sonar, but I would really like to be able to use a better BIAB style on the song.
How could I accomplish this in Real Band?

p.s. I would never have asked the question had I found a suitable answer in searches.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #273905 12/11/14 04:27 AM
P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P

Bob,

I copied the following from a previous post of mine.
Soloist is interchangeable w/ Melody track.

HTH.

Percy

Here's what I do:

1. Open midi in BB and click on the big green Sequencer button

2. In the Sequencer window,the midi parts are listed, and in the last column is EDIT

3. Click on the little box of the desired part and select 'move to soloist'.

4. When done, at the main menu in BB, go to Edit and click on 'Copy/Move' Tracks

5. Last step is when you move Soloist to the desired BB part.

You can continue to make changes as long as you freeze accordingly and don't regenerate.

This allows me to keep much of my work in BB, if desired.

90 dB #273915 12/11/14 05:41 AM
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Percy, but I'm not seeing the same dialog boxes. Are you using v.2015?
I'm still on v.2014.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #273932 12/11/14 06:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think the sequencer function changed from 2014 to 2015.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
90 dB #273979 12/11/14 09:52 AM
P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
Bob,

Go to the TOOLS Bar; it should be there in 2014- a green button w/ SEQ in the middle.

Percy

percy #273984 12/11/14 10:00 AM
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: percy
Bob,

Go to the TOOLS Bar; it should be there in 2014- a green button w/ SEQ in the middle.

Percy

I'll have to get back to you guys. Got a band practice.

Thanks.

90 dB #273989 12/11/14 10:30 AM
P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
One other caveat- the midi has to be opened in order to see the aforementioned dialogue boxes.

That should do it.

Percy

90 dB #274063 12/11/14 05:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Here are some graphics to go with the above excellent comments.

As you've already mentioned, the first thing to appreciate about a midi file is that it is loaded into either the Melody or the Soloist track. The reason for this is because the Guitar / Piano / Drums tracks, etc., are reserved for BIAB to create accompaniments.

Under normal circumstances, the Melody and Soloist slots are single-channel midi tracks.

When a midi is loaded onto the Melody or Soloist track, that track becomes a multichannel midi player. To access this information, click on “Melody” (#1) and have a look at #2, #3 – whatever has a tick beside it is the one that's selected.

When the Melody, or Soloist, track is being used as a multichannel midi sequencer, it is the “SEQUENCER” button that allows control of those channels.

Here's an example of how I use it …

1. I've loaded a midi file onto the Melody track (using “Open MIDI file” under the “File” menu). When I double-check the channel setting for the Melody track, I see it's set to 16 channels. That's what I need.

2. Now I click on the green SEQUENCER button that's shown in the image that immediately precedes this example.

3. As you can see in the image below, each track of the midi file has been assigned its own midi channel (#1). Each channel has also been given its own sound/patch (#2). These settings would have happened when the midi file was created.

4. Using the above midi control it is possible to isolate specific tracks and to have those play solo simply by unchecking all other tracks (#3). I can also modify any track. Under the “Edit” button, there are a number of options for further control. These too could be useful for you.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
90 dB #274083 12/11/14 08:59 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I'll take the other side, RB.

Open a new project in RB and import the midi and click to separate the tracks. You see each track right in front of you with the instrument names, channel # and all the other info in the track header box to the left of each track.

Leaving all the midi tracks active except for drums, arm the next blank track and start generating some Biab drum parts using midi or the RD's. Since you're in RB you can do both at the same time by putting a RD part on one track and a midi drum part on another track. Since you have 48 tracks you can pretty much use as many tracks as you want just for the drums. Use maybe 4 different styles on different tracks and then mute/unmute different ones while you listen to the midi file.

Then lets say bars 1-3 contain your song's hook on two guitar tracks. Highlight those and copy those 3 bars to another blank track. Then you can isolate just the hook and start manipulating that with different effects, instruments patches and such.

During this process you can also start generating other Biab parts. I think you can see how this can work. You have 48 tracks and you can use them all to put your piece together. You can chop up that midi file, mangle it, change keys, move sections around, transpose individual parts of it to your hearts content. By using RB's copy functions you can do this while leaving the original tracks alone just mute them. It's very cool to copy a part to a new track, change channels and change instruments so you now have your original track playing the original guitar instrument and your new copy using different instruments. You can harmonize the second track or just parts of it too.

And then there's the RB mixer, the aux sends, the subgroups, the effects, all that stuff.

I'm starting to throw out different scenarios but you get the idea. Personally I would never use Biab for working with midi files. RB is much more flexible.

Another very important and useful trick with RB and is the chord grid. You can change the chord grid after every generation of a part. Say you do one drum track and use the part markers to generate a drum fill. Do that once for one track and then change the chord grid using different locations for the part markers and do another drum track. Same with the instruments. Sometimes you can get very interesting results by changing the chords from one instrument to another or using part markers to change the sub styles. In RB each track stands on it's own, it only generates whatever you tell it to generate and each time you do that you can change the chord grid.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 12/11/14 09:04 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
90 dB #274096 12/12/14 01:57 AM
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks guys. I will try both methods today. I appreciate all your time!

Regards,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,389
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.