Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
OP Offline
P
Hey There,
I'm a happy new user of BIAB. I have been using the prog as a home practice tool so far (2 months), and now am looking to use it on some duo gigs.

We play jazz stds mostly and I am generally familiar with song form. I also found a fairly full collection of RealBook BIAB files on the web, so that was a cool find.

Whats driving me nuts is how to rearrange an existing chart to add a 16 bar (or longer) 2 chord solo vamp between the 1st time through the chorus and the last time through and out.

So, the form I am wanting is:

Intro 8 4 bars
Chorus 32 bars (16 bars with a 2x repeat)
solo vamp 16 bars
Chorus 32 bars (16 bars with a 2x repeat)
Ending

I've got all the parts but the solo section in the "middle" of the form. I know it's right there in front of me somewhere, but I have not been able to see it int eh tutorials or help files anywhere.

Thanks

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The way that BIAB treats choruses and repeats probably isn't going to work for your custom format. So do it long form. i.e. put in all of the chords for the whole song in a linear fashion. You can select bars and copy and paste them, so it won't be too hard. Also make use of the insert bars and delete bars in the Edit menu. Make sure you're set to 1x chorus with BIAB, and the end bar is set to your end bar.

I don't relate to how BIAB uses the word chorus and the repeat is only any good if you have one repeating chunklet in the middle of your song. i.e. intro - {repeatingsection} - end. It's just not that flexible.

I hope this makes sense, good luck, Mel

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Easiest way is to copy it out as "one long song" and ignore chorus repeats within the program. It will sound right.

--Mac

A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
I am not sure if I understand what you are saying, but if it is what I think, you can turn off the fake mode first. That way the whole song will kind of expand (so without repeats). Then you go to the bar where you want to insert your own part and insert the 16 bars by going to "edit" in the menu and click insert bars. Does this help?

Ah not quite right, you also need to make the repeats then after that by rightclicking and change stuff in the repeat codas settings. So it is possible, but in that way I think Mel's way still is easier...

And for the inserting part well that now speaks for itself... Sorry to mix things up here...

Last edited by abaudio; 03/23/09 07:17 PM.

I'll be back...
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Hi P Schimm,

Since you're adapting existing files, the above advice about unfolding may be the most useful. But just so you don't get the wrong idea, starting from scratch, it's quite simple to lay out your structure. Set the song length to 48 bars, one chorus. Use the repeats function to insert a repeat for the first and last 16 bars - separate operation for each one, and keep the "generate" switch enabled each time. Add in the intro and ending: voila done in a few seconds. As a bonus, with fake mode off, you can set different chords for the second time through each repeat.

The trick (for me, anyway) to understanding "generate" is to realize that the song is always layed out linearly in the piano roll (sequencer), so creating a repeat is technically the insertion of bars. Generate accomplishes that. If you omit the "generate," the software will still create the repeat, but it will use the second 16 bars for the second time. The only actual looping done - confirmed by watching the piano roll - is for the entire "chorus."

HTH, Ron

P
OP Offline
P
thanks to all for the replies, very helpful.

I tried the system on a live duo gig on Tue night with reasonable, but not perfect, results.

Some updated and now more informed comments.

I get the "linear" arrangement idea, and alternately, the use of into's, repeats and even endings. The linear way was the only way I could get a solo section into the middle of a tune. So I did:
intro - chorus x2 - 32 bar solo section with different chords than the chorus - chorus x2 - ending

I will have to try and understand generate .. not sure I get that just yet.

I did end up just doing my own arrangements and not copying or editing existing ones. That ended up being a much easier and faster way to go.

Also, playing with the "machine" was interesting because you have to play to it, rather than having a band play together. It seems to be a fine matter of carefully laying out the song form and then also being able to hear it well enough through whatever PA you have running (I clearly need some work on volume/balance).

I bumped into the Conductor tool, and I feel I should figure that tool out, because it seems as if it could be used to control the song flow in a live situation a bit better than the laotop keyboard I used on Tue night.

Can anyone talk to me about how you control BIAB in live playing situations. I am a bass player, so I need both hands on the axe while playing .. at least some people think so ;=)

R
Expert
Expert
R
Quote:

Can anyone talk to me about how you control BIAB in live playing situations. I am a bass player, so I need both hands on the axe while playing .. at least some people think so ;=)

Check out a footswitch to control a few keystrokes and Jukebox to go through a playlist of your set. A delay can be set at the end of each song and/or you can use the switch to stop and start at your choosing. Seems like something with Conductor may help. Someone else may remember.

Rachael

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am also new to BIAB. I've played around with the demo and just purchased the full product. I've created a 3-chorus song with an intro. I noticed the first time through the chorus it is rather "plain". The second time through there is some additonal "fill in" and the third/last time goes back to "plain". Is there a way to have a 3 play with the "fill in"?

Thanks

R
Expert
Expert
R
What you are hearing is the difference in 'Part Markers'. A Blue marker is subtle and Green is busier. By default, a 3 chorus song plays the middle chorus using the Green markers. The outer choruses use whatever markers you have in your 1st chorus. To change a marker, click on the measure number and it should change from Blue to Green.

For total control over all of your choruses, you can 'Unfold' the song into one big chorus and place the markers exactly where you want them.

Veteran
Veteran
The Conductor can be very useful but you have to have a free hand just for a second or two to hit a number key on the laptop. If you can manage that, you don't have to worry about setting repeats ahead of time because the Conductor allows you to set song sections and tie each section to a number so for example the A section could be 1, the B is 2, the solo vamp 3 etc. You can also set how the Conductor handles the jump. It can jump immediately even if it's in the middle of a bar (very awkward), the next bar on the 1, the next part marker (the way I do it) and maybe a couple more. It's very flexible. That means if you're playing the verse and you want to repeat it, you hit whatever number is set for the verse ahead of the jump point and it will repeat. It will do that forever as long as you hit the number before the jump point. If 7 is a tag ending you can jump to that anytime you want as well. Using the Conductor allows you to play whatever arrangement of the parts you want live. Obviously, try this at home before you try it on a gig. There's a lot of ways to use it and you have to find what works for you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks, I'll give the Part Markers a try. Are the changes to the Part Markers reflected in the Lead/Fake Sheets when they are printed out? I play the guitar and can "get by" with just lyrics and chords typed out over the lyrics. I've got a piano player who needs to SEE music and can't just "wing it" with some chord progressions as fill-in for backup.

Veteran
Veteran
Pick a style with a piano in it and then instead of the M button hit the P button for piano.

This will show you how the piano comping goes for the song.

Note that those wee buttons include a D for Drums B for Bass, etc.

John Conley
Musica est vita
R
Expert
Expert
R
Yes. If you use measure numbers they will say stuff like 5a or 21b for A/B markers. Enable this is the Lead Sheet options Show Bar #s at every part marker. Also each part marker change will be notated by a double bar (||) at the measure of change.

Try it

R

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks. I certainly have my work cut out for me. I just finished downloading BIAB/RB. Now all I have to do is install it, find a style that is "close" to what I want, input the chords (the easiest part, since I already have them on my "cheat sheets"), generate the song and print. ALL BEFORE EASTER. This is for our Easter celebration at church.

Oh, I forgot about learning how to actually use BIAB, since I've only played with the demo version for about two days prior to purchasing.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
geetarman:

Regarding this
"I noticed the first time through the chorus it is rather "plain". The second time through there is some additonal "fill in" and the third/last time goes back to "plain". Is there a way to have a 3 play with the "fill in"?

There is also a setting which allows BIAB to "embellish" the song on the "middle chorus".
If that is enabled, it acts the way you noted above. Otherwise it plays through the song and only adheres to the Part Markers.

Good Luck!
LLOYD S

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,651
Posts735,446
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176