Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I've explored all the FAQs and searched the forum for this issue but haven't find any pointers yet...

I'm discovering that ALL the songs for which I've produced wav files are MUCH quieter than the professionally-produced backing tracks I've purchased - so when I'm playing back I have to keep drastically adjusting the volume control.

The answers I've found are:

1. Adjust the windows sound card settings from the WAV button in BIAB - but this seems to have no effect on dxi, which I'm using.
2. Add a dB audio boost of 10dB in the WAV creation dialog - but this is surely simpl to adjust comparative volume for pre-recorded real tracks, and doesn't seem to affect the overall volume.
3. Use my CD burning software to adjust the final volume comparatively with other tracks. But I have over 150 tracks in total, only 10 of which are from BIAB. They are stored as files on my computer, not on CD, so I can't adjust during the burning process. If I was to get my player to adjust them it would take forever for it to optimise all 150 tracks to the same level.

Is there anything else I can do to make the output volume significantly louder when using dxi?

Thanks

R
Expert
Expert
R
Make sure your part and combo volume is up. 90 is the default and can go up to 127. You can also use a DXI plugin such as PG Dynamics. Be sure to use the PG PeakLimiter also in the last slot.

Rachael

Last edited by Rachael; 03/24/09 05:21 AM.
Expert
Expert
Many people do a final remix in RB, PT or audacity, making an adjustment to the file to bring it into consistency with other reference recordings. You might try that on you 10 or so BIAB tracks. You would only have to post process these to make them consistent with the others that you already own.

PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The difference between your files and those purchased pro files is in the MASTERING.

They are Mastered, yours has not been Mastered at all.

--Mac

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
For a quick and reasonably easy solution, look at Ozone 4 at www.izotope.com

and while you are there, read their free guide on mastering at http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html The first three pages of the text will clear it all up for you.

With Ozone, you can make subtle improvements, or (horrors) slam your audio right to the max.

Ozone is not free; it costs $250 for new users, and it is available as a DirectX or VST plugin. Many of us who use SONAR highly recommend it as a one-program mastering solution. It bridges the gap between nothing and hugely expensive mastering tools. Plus, it requires no PACE or dongle (undesirable forms of copy protection). It may be the quickest and easiest way to improve home studio recordings.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Like PapaMike said.....I think Audacity is free. I use WavePad which is also free. When I'm done rendering, I pull the file into WavePad and "normalize". I also eliminate the "tics", fade out the ending, etc..This has worked as a quick fix for me.

Cornet Curmudgeon
N
N
I've been having this problem for years. Anything I render produces a very weak signal--generally peaking at about -18dB. I use Audition to normalize all my BiaB WAVs, but this is just not right, because when you do that you also raise your noise floor. I've maxed out every fader I can find (soundcard in/out, DXi, inst==127, etc.) and it still renders way too low. I figure I must be still missing something.

Has anyone been able to directly render a healthy-level WAV file? If so, what's your setup or secret?

Nate

A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Did you try to compare it with the original files? I mean if they also are softly recorded, then that's just the way it is. And yes normalizing brings up the noise as well, but it will be the only way if this is standard level. If you do it through a normalizing or a volume control, the effects remain the same. You in both way lift all information in the recording upwards. I must say the recordings I made up to now, have not been the best quality always in volume or in sound/colour, but good enough to fix it in the mix. But well in fact this doesnot really answer your question I guess...

I'll be back...
Journeyman
Journeyman
I had this problem with the very first wav file I tried to render. Someone posted to add +10 Db at the bottom right of the rendering page, before hitting render. This has worked for me as far as volume only. Not quality of recording. That I try to do with effects and especially the Pg dynamics plug in seems to really add punch. Especially in RB where you can BEEF up individual tracks in the mix. (Not just volumes here, but quality, effect wise.) As Mac says, we will never achieve a true mastered quality sound at home, probably, but many I have heard on this forum are very close.

N
N
> ...add +10 Db at the bottom right of the rendering page, before hitting render...

+10dB would be nice. +15 even better. I looked for a place in the Render dialog box to put that and the only place was for the merged audio. I tried that anyway and it didn't help. It's weird because both RealDrum output and VSC/DXi output are low. Luvs3rds,
did you find a way to boost MIDI and/or RealDrums/RealTracks to a normal level?

One thing I've just noticed, though, is if i bring up the VSC/DXi window and put all the volumes to 127, they stay there until I do a render. Then, right when the render is done, they all snap down to 90. Does that mean they were at 90 for the render session? If so, this may be part of my problem. How do I get those volumes to stay at 127?

I am ok with the general quality--I just want dry tracks, and I can sweeten them up in Audition. It's just this volume thing that's driving me nuts. A little weak and I would just live with it, but with a -20dB puny signal, I just gotta think something's wrong with my setup.

R
Expert
Expert
R
The 'Adjust Audio track volume by' should adjust any audio including RealDrums and RealTracks. As far as Midi, the volume is determined in the style as programmed. Raising the Master (ctrl alt D) or part volume should reflect in the Render. Be sure to save with patches (Alt F2) and have Save settings for Volume checked. As a last resort you could try Normalizing in Opts|Prefs|Arrange but you would be overriding the mix BIAB has put for the instruments.

Rachael

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sounds like the RECORD level fader of your soundcard INput is turned down too low.

Remember, when you click on the little speaker icon, the first faders you typically see are the PLAYBACK faders.

Record fader is usually accessed via a menu there, like File -> Properties or the like.

--Mac

R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
I've spent hours trying to fix this with no results at all.

Everything is up to the max and it seems to make no difference. I can see the difference in the play and record meters in BIAB, but no matter what I play with, it has no effect at all.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Have you located the Record Properties of your soundcard?

R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Quote:

Have you located the Record Properties of your soundcard?

Yes the recorded properties are all maxed out.

It really seems to be something with the audio settings in BIAB.

Probably has something to do with the DXi settings, but I can't put my finger on it.

Or there could be no solution at all, except to go to an outside force like Audition or Sounbooth.

R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
It has to do with the real tracks for some reason.

I just tested it with the midi instruments and the sound is perfect.

It would explain why the bass is so loud, when I use the default midi bass instead of the real tracks bass.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi,

Someone else suggested the PG Peaklimiter plugin - have you tried that? It should help - add it to a slot in the Synth track tab of the DirectX/VST window, below where you have the VSC selected.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
My knowledge is limited on this, but what I noticed is I will have a song completely dialed in, as far as mix, and volumes. I go to render, then hit the TEST WAV button, and invariaby, the midi will be really LOUD compared to the realtracks. I delete the wav, go back in and lower the midi to like 50, max out the Real Tracks. . . Then add 10 or 15 Db in the render window, then save to wav. This is if I am going somewhere else like RB, to do a final edit. This is usually where you can use the musician's favorite line of "Fix it in the Mix". So far, it works good if you are going to another program. If you are doing it all in BIAB, sometimes I have changed numbers 2-3 times before it sounded "kinda like" I originally saved it.

Bottom line, I have maxed out to 127, and then imported to RB or whatever, and just fixed it.

Expert
Expert
Hi rlefebvr,

I found this problem in the early days of this version and after trying 10 takes to get base settings of the differences - I decided to record in real time to get the exact Midi/RealTrack balance I needed

I do this using the "What you hear" feature on soundcards like the SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and others - it takes more time than rendering but you only do it once

You can even do adjustments like decrease/increase volumes or fade endings whilst recording in real time
jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Quote:

I decided to record in real time to get the exact Midi/RealTrack balance I needed

I do the same. I sing and play guitar so run everything through a mixer, then normalize the resultant WAV file (I use Audacity on another laptop to record). Final result is a reasonably good mix with volume equivalent to commercially mastered tracks.

I use a lot of intros from the original recording if I do the song in the same key, and have found that I have to reduce the volume from the commercial track by -10db to get it in the neighborhood of the volume in BIAB (with default 90 levels).

pete

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,660
Posts735,513
Members38,528
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
gman97040, kadju, theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track
38,527 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173