Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I was taught a long time ago about chord formulas. The basic thing of it is that no matter what note you play on your piano you can count the half steps in the formula to make your chord.

For example, if you play a C, that becomes 0. To make a major chord the formula is 0-2-1-1 1/2, so with C being 0, you count up 2 half steps (0, half, one, one and a half, two) and land on the E. Then the E becomes 0 and you count 1 1/2 (0, half, one , one and a half) and land on G. Add another 1 1/2 for a dominant 7th. Minor is 0-1 1/2-2. Again add another 1 1/2 for a minor 7.

And so forth. Did anybody else have a teacher who taught that method? Most teachers seem to teach "Major = 1,3,5, 1, b3, 5" and so forth. My guy actually taught me the half step method.

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/25/15 07:35 AM. Reason: typos

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, not me Eddie. I learned all the chords and their inversions in more-or-less the 1-3-5 method. I hadn't heard of this method until now.

I didn't really understand the statement: "so with C being 0, you count up 2 half steps (0, half, one, one and a half, two) and land on the E. "

If C is 0 and you count up 2 half steps you wind up on D, surely? (C=0, first 1/2 step up is C#, 2nd half step up is D)

I think I like my method better...
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The formula of counting half-steps is used in defining scales, but I never heard it used for chords.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That is really old school teaching and remember I was short of 5 years old when I started. My teacher thought it would be easier on all of us young students to just count half steps. I mean, to a kid not yet 5, to look at the keyboard, and center my view on C, E is not the 3rd key up from the C. There are 2 black keys in there so E is the 5th key up from the C. This was his way of teaching half steps from whole steps. It wasn't "the third in the scale" because at that age, just sitting at a piano on day 1, I didn't know what a C scale was.

So, ANY key you start on, C, F, Ab.... that key is "zero" and you count your half steps from there to figure out that in Ab, C is the third in that scale.

It worked out well for me. Just like "5 lines and 4 spaces". My first question, and I remember this almost 60 years later, was "But what about the big space under and over those lines? Those are spaces too, aren't they? Really big spaces." And he did not let me touch a piano until I knew that stuff. I sat at a plastic molded keyboard and he would point to a dot drawn on staff paper on a blackboard and I had to show him where on that little keyboard the note was that he was pointing to. 6 weeks of that. Then we moved to "If you are playing in D, point to D, and I say move to the 4th, what is the next chord?" He completely BEAT theory into my head for almost about 10 weeks before I could move to an instrument that made sound. And then the ear training started where for the last 15 minutes of my hour he would play a note , with my back turned, and say "Okay. Can you tell me what that note is?" And if I got it right (40% of the time back then) he would play another note and make me identify it. Early lessons were always perfect intervals. Root, 5th, back to root, 6th, dominant 7th, back to root, then 4th.... He had a unique way of teaching and it varied from student to student. I still have at least close to perfect pitch, for sure I have relative pitch. I took lessons from him for 5 years and we often didn't play. We just talked and looked at sheet music and identified more and more complex notation. Tied notes, what the Italian stuff meant.... 7 years old then and learning terms like forte, pianissimo, fermata, grave.... he was intense. Old gruff German guy who I learned later in life was a marshmallow filled teddy bear.

But I digress, as I often will..... That's where I learned chord formulas.

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/25/15 07:23 PM. Reason: typos

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie,

I just recently learned this type of thing for scales in the Jazz Improvisation course at Berklee. Someone here pointed me to the Jamey Aebersold freebie .pdf, and the scales thing starts at page 13 or so.

There's a direct connection, of course, between the scales and the chords.

One of my piano teachers taught it similarly to what you describe particularly for chord theory. But she related it to intervals and how many half steps were in the intervals.

-Scott

Jamey Aebersold reference here btw: http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FQBK-handbook.pdf

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've never heard of this before.

I was taught intervals for scales, and learned them first - major and the family of minor scales.

Then 135 + extensions.

But I can see where the formula is a good tool.

There is more than one right way to do most things.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The half step method is used in pitch-class set theory in atonal music but unless you're into that in a big way most people get by with 1, b3, 5 rather than 0,3,7.

I guess the emphasis in modernist music is on the chromatic scale rather than diatonic reference points and the method allows you to see the relative size of intervals measured by a common unit from a given tonic note.

In Schenker's view this allows you to make a connection between C, Eb G and C E G since the distance in half steps between E and G is equal to that of C and Eb, while both chords end in 7 half steps (G).
That comes more into it's own when you consider sets like C Db F# and C F F# which are linked in the same way. Its like saying a b2nd followed by a p4th is in the same family as a P4th followed by a b2nd; it's just in the reverse order.

Alan

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have never heard of this method before however I can see value in it.

I was also taught intervals, scales (major and minor) then how to form chords from a major scale, i.e. a minor scale consists of 1, b3, 5 of a major scale, etc.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Eddie,

I just recently learned this type of thing for scales in the Jazz Improvisation course at Berklee. Someone here pointed me to the Jamey Aebersold freebie .pdf, and the scales thing starts at page 13 or so.

There's a direct connection, of course, between the scales and the chords.

One of my piano teachers taught it similarly to what you describe particularly for chord theory. But she related it to intervals and how many half steps were in the intervals.

-Scott

Jamey Aebersold reference here btw: http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FQBK-handbook.pdf

Scott, thank you so much for sharing this. I DLed it so that I could not only read it but also to send to a couple of musician friends.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
nope.

I understand theory,,, the steps and halfs and such but don't use it in any meaningful way to construct chords.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/26/15 07:30 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Wait a minute: Nobody else learned that a diminished chord was two minor intervals put side by side and what not? And that a minor interval was 3 half steps etc.?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Wait a minute: Nobody else learned that a diminished chord was two minor intervals put side by side and what not? And that a minor interval was 3 half steps etc.?

You mean minor 3rd intervals. That was one of the ways I learned. Mostly by memorizing and transposing though.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Yes Ray, that is what I meant. Augmented is two major third intervals, etc.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scott, your mailbox is full. Please PM me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I was also taught intervals, scales (major and minor) then how to form chords from a major scale, i.e. a minor scale consists of 1, b3, 5 of a major scale, etc.

The point is that I was not even 5 years old yet and had never sat at a piano to KNOW scales and intervals. As I learned "whole whole half, whole whole whole half" made a scale, then I could start. To tell a kid 2 months short that "Oh a major chord is just 1-3-5", what does that mean? So for me, once I knew half steps, those formulas, all based on half steps, allowed me to learn chords quicker. Same church, different hymnal. 1-3-5 mean nothing to me at that age, but I could count 0, 1/2, 1, 1&1/2, etc. That meant that no matter what key I started at, I could make a major chord with no regard to white and black keys, by knowing 0-2-1&1/2. I didn't have to know that G has 1 sharp and Ab has 4 flats, because remember, I had no idea what a sharp and a flat was yet. Again, same church, different hymnal.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eddie. I don't think anyone is arguing with you. It seems a reasonable way to introduce theory to a child. You had asked if anyone else learned that way and apparently none of us did, but that doesn't mean there is no merit in the method you describe. I found it intriguing.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
If the topic is just chords I figured out early on as a young player (sax) that 3 chromatic steps (or 1/2 steps) is minor and 4 is major and that by combining them you can create maj. minor, aug. dim. chords. Then by adding a 7th 1 half step or 2 half steps below the octave gave me a pretty basic way to understand chords as a 10 yr. old.
Although I am a very good sight reader, I can play an entire gig playing by ear most likely from learning to improvise by intervals.
I guess there is no one "best" way to learn.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As I said before, there is more than one right way to do almost anything.

Different minds retain things if shown in different ways. Perhaps both ways should be taught, and that way the student will retain either the way he/she assimilates it the best or perhaps both to use whichever tool is appropriate for any particular situation.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,719
Posts736,453
Members38,554
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM, Ricki Susic
38,553 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 187