Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
I have a new I7 laptop (Geekbench 5900) and build 429 has improved the stuttering but I still get it with multi real style songs when the chord page refreshes and sometimes at the start of a song. I can prevent the page refresh by shrinking the bar size so there is only one page but that's not a practical solution.

Here is what I have tried, these are all various suggestions I have seen.

Laptop is dedicated to BIAB and is running literally NOTHING else other than BIAB 2016.
Virus protection is disabled
I am using an external synth so latency is zero but it doesn't help to go up and up to 1000.
Using MME and the laptop audio driver (not MS Soundmapper)
All tracks are frozen
Option "speed up re-generation of real tracks" is NOT selected. I cannot run like this indefinitely!
bbw.exe is set to high priority in task manager and is run as administrator.
User account control is set to "never notify"

I have emailed all this to tech support but I wonder if anyone else has, or has solved the problem

Thanks
Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Tony
I am also aware that PG Music are familiar with the issue. However, I'm not aware that there is a workaround available yet. Let's hope the next release might sort this out.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
A
A_R Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
I was getting a major stuttering on my laptop when I used the external USB drive, what I ended up doing that solved it for me was going into Device Manager, selecting Disk drives > Properties > Policies > and changing the Removal Policy from Quick Removal to Better Performance the stuttering I was experiencing is now completely gone.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Might be worth checking (I'm sure you already have), but in general do (not using BIAB) music files play ordinarily without stutter, e.g., mp3 / wav through media player or the sound off a youtube vid etc., does it get worse if you move your mouse when playing or anything like that ?

Mike.

SongBrain - AI Generator
Shiny Emeralds - Latest Single

Win 10 Home 64bit - Ryzen7 3700x / 32Gb
BIAB / RB 2024 For Windows
EWQL Composer Cloud X
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Mike. R.
Might be worth checking (I'm sure you already have), but in general do (not using BIAB) music files play ordinarily without stutter, e.g., mp3 / wav through media player or the sound off a youtube vid etc., does it get worse if you move your mouse when playing or anything like that ?

I don't know about other music files but when playing a BIAB song it stutters once when I click on the top of the metronome window to re-position it. However I think BIAB has always done this so it may not be a 2016 issue.

Tony

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Tony,

For that kind of audio stutter (Eg. clicking on a window bar to move it), you can usually prevent it by increasing your audio latency setting:

1. Click on Options > MIDI/Audio Driver Setup...

2. Type in a bigger number for "Driver Latency" (Eg. 500 - 1000 should be good enough... but this can go higher if necessary)

3. Click [OK]

Note that this only works if you are using an MME audio driver instead of ASIO, although the behavior you are describing is usually an indicator that you are using an MME driver. In the setup window (opened in step 1 above), there is a button in the bottom-left that says "Audio Settings...[MME]" or "Audio Settings...[ASIO]". If that says [ASIO] then the Dirver Latency setting won't have an effect.

Last edited by Blake; 01/04/16 01:57 PM.

Blake

PG Music Inc.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Tony,

I have this kind of issue too with BiaB 2016, but only on songs where I have filled the notation and lyrics lines (a new 2016 feature). When the chord pages change, I get a "clac" and a short delay then the tune continues.

I almost eliminated this issue by unchecking the case "auto adjust #rows" in the options but I still have it sometimes.

Pascal

No hay banda! There is no band! Il n'est pas de orchestra!
No hay banda! And yet we hear a band !

(David Lynch - Mulholland Drive)
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Blake
Hi Tony,

For that kind of audio stutter (Eg. clicking on a window bar to move it), you can usually prevent it by increasing your audio latency setting:

1. Click on Options > MIDI/Audio Driver Setup...

2. Type in a bigger number for "Driver Latency" (Eg. 500 - 1000 should be good enough... but this can go higher if necessary)

3. Click [OK]

Note that this only works if you are using an MME audio driver instead of ASIO, although the behavior you are describing is usually an indicator that you are using an MME driver. In the setup window (opened in step 1 above), there is a button in the bottom-left that says "Audio Settings...[MME]" or "Audio Settings...[ASIO]". If that says [ASIO] then the Dirver Latency setting won't have an effect.

Hi Blake

You may not have noticed the following in my original post.
Quote:
I am using an external synth so latency is zero but it doesn't help to go up and up to 1000.
Using MME and the laptop audio driver (not MS Soundmapper)

So I have already tried your suggestions.

Also the build 430 list makes no mention of improving a stuttering problem so I assume this hasn't been addressed? In any case I am no longer an "early adopter" of BIAB downloads.

Tony

Expert
Expert
Have you tried ASIO? There is ASIO for all, but it was not the best ASIO a few eyars ago, or an external sound card?

A USB sound device can only be a few bucks. Things are improving all the time, but last time I investigated a year or two ago, on board sound for laptops was not that good.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I have the same issue. The song has a short pause each time the chord page refreshes to the next group of visible bars. I have tried the fixes mentioned but it still happens. I am not using layers and it's just the default chord sheet. I have done a factory reset also. At first I thought it might have been the two instances of Amplitube 64 bit bridged on the guitar tracks but after removing them the issue remained.

At this point it's just annoying as I export all my BIAB tracks to my DAW and the WAV files are not affected with the pause. The 2014 version worked fine and the problem only showed up with the 2016 upgrade. I am sure PGM will get it sorted out but It is a problem that should be addressed sooner than later.

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero
Have you tried ASIO? There is ASIO for all, but it was not the best ASIO a few years ago, or an external sound card?

A USB sound device can only be a few bucks. Things are improving all the time, but last time I investigated a year or two ago, on board sound for laptops was not that good.

I stopped using ASIO years ago because it introduces lots of other issues like latency. Also the advice from PG is to use MME for my problem.

I have tried using an external SoundBlaster USB sound card but it doesn't help.

Quote:
I have the same issue. The song has a short pause each time the chord page refreshes to the next group of visible bars. I have tried the fixes mentioned but it still happens. I am not using layers and it's just the default chord sheet. I have done a factory reset also. At first I thought it might have been the two instances of Amplitube 64 bit bridged on the guitar tracks but after removing them the issue remained.

At this point it's just annoying as I export all my BIAB tracks to my DAW and the WAV files are not affected with the pause. The 2014 version worked fine and the problem only showed up with the 2016 upgrade. I am sure PGM will get it sorted out but It is a problem that should be addressed sooner than later.

Thanks for confirmation of the problem. It is definitely something to do with 2016 and happens on two quite different computers. One workaround is to use the 2016 feature that allows you to shrink the bar size until the whole song fits on one page - bingo, no refresh needed so no stutter! I still sometimes get a stutter at the start of a song with multi RT songs.

There is no mention of the problem solved in build 430 and it is too soon to know if there is any difference.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jeff S
...The 2014 version worked fine and the problem only showed up with the 2016 upgrade. I am sure PGM will get it sorted out but It is a problem that should be addressed sooner than later.

Jeff, I know that PGM are aware of the problem and are working on this. Maybe next release should lick it.
Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:
I stopped using ASIO years ago because it introduces lots of other issues like latency. Also the advice from PG is to use MME for my problem.

I have tried using an external SoundBlaster USB sound card but it doesn't help.

I'm sorry to disagree, but ASIO does not introduce latency. if using ASIO driver mode introduced latency compared to MME, then either:

1) your soundcard did not have well written native ASIO drivers
2) your computer has some drivers installed which cause dpc latency spikes
3) you added something extra at the same time which caused extra latency (like adding plugins)
4) your ASIO hardware buffers were set too high (possibly by default and you didn't change them after switching to ASIO driver mode)

#4 is the most likely scenario in most users' case when ASIO has higher latency in a music software program than using MME driver mode.

ASIO, by spec, HAS to be lower latency than MME driver mode. if you're interested in reading through the spec, the Steinberg 2.3 spec is here: ftp://ftp.evl.uic.edu/pub/INcoming/cristian/CL%20CPC/pa/src/hostapi/asio/ASIOSDK/ASIO%20SDK%202.3.pdf

When you switch to ASIO driver mode, you must also be careful that your soundcards' software does not have the hardware buffers set to something which is too high. the hardware buffers are set in the soundcards' software (which can be accessed by BIAB or other software programs directly, usually). When setting the soundcards' buffers to 128 samples, your total roundtrip latency shouldn't be more than 10msec total. this is a completely workable roundtrip latency.

This is true for ALL soundcards, however, as I said above, the drivers for the soundcard must be well written ASIO drivers in order for this to happen.

I own a MOTU MK3 Ultralite. it can use USB or Firewire (400). I can get down to 64 samples without popping/clicking or stuttering on my computer which gives me a little over 5msec round trip. VERY low latency.

understandably, the MOTU is out of reach pricewise than a lot of users can afford. however, I also have a backup soundcard which is a Presonus Audiobox USB which can use the 128 samples easily. they cost about $100.

I'll probably get bashed for this, but soundblasters are NOT the best soundcards for recording. they're great for playback, so if all you do is playback for backing tracks or if you're using them for listening to music, they're fine, but not so much for recording.

NOTE: I understand this may not be the problem from the OP since it has been stated that PG is aware of a latency introduced between 2014 and 2016, however, what I am addressing is the quote above just to clarify for everyone reading that ASIO driver mode itself does not introduce latency just because it's ASIO.

NOTE2: sampling rate of the recording will also affect latency. the higher the sampling rate the lower the latency. 44.1kHz is the CD and Wave file "redbook standard" so that's what most people use (including BIAB), but most modern RECORDING soundcards are capable of higher sampling rates usually up to 192k, which will give you much lower latency. it will also, however, put a higher tax on your computer system which will increase the likelyhood that you will experience pops/clicks and stuttering the higher you go.

Last edited by Beagle; 01/06/16 09:25 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
We are fortunate to have Beagle posting here, and all should heed his advice. He is a welcome fixture on the SONAR forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
We are fortunate to have Beagle posting here, and all should heed his advice. He is a welcome fixture on the SONAR forum.

thank you so much Matt! smile

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
My post http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=329734#Post329734 is a demo of how the screen updates are incorrect, but does show stuttering as well. I didn't highlight the stuttering because, at the time, I had a mess of other applications up (FPGA development environment, several different browsers with multiple tabs, spreadsheets, virtualbox running linux) and all of this on a Celeron laptop.

Generally, I don't experience the stuttering. I'm also using MME on a laptop with no external sound device. MME picked because setup was easier on install going that path (I think I picked ASIO drivers during setup - was asked some questions that I scratched my head over - backed out and picked MME which involved no setup/additional install - and continued). Although my perception has always been that a well written ASIO driver is better.

3/2/2017 - Win 10 BIAB 2017 Build 460 (1), RealBand 2017 (4)
Prior - Sig can't fit a running list - so just showing current version
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It should be mentioned that the user (Tony) is using an external MIDI synth, not the usual soft synth Dxi setup. We're not sure why this issue is happening on his machine, and we can't duplicate it, either with soft synths or an external MIDI setup.
So we plan on sending Tony a test version to see if it fixes it, and at least provides us some diagnostic info.

Tony has a fast machine (Geekbenchy=6600). We've tested on fast and slow machines (Geekbench=1,000) and also can't duplicate any problem.

There are issues with some video cards and video acceleration, where they take over the whole system during redraws, and if that is the case disabling video acceleration makes the issue go away. info here: http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-off-Hardware-Acceleration

Also, if Tony is running from a USB drive, he might try this:
"was getting a major stuttering on my laptop when I used the external USB drive, what I ended up doing that solved it for me was going into Device Manager, selecting Disk drives > Properties > Policies > and changing the Removal Policy from Quick Removal to Better Performance the stuttering I was experiencing is now completely gone." (tech info: that restores write caching to the drive).

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
I have always run with Write Caching off for regular hard drives, for data safety. The only time I am willing to turn it on is for SSD drives.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Good point Matt. I was just repeating a user's post that solved his problem, and I've never needed to do that myself. It would be useful as a diagnostic test, and it also just applies to that specific drive.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Right - I just thought it would be useful to you to point out that my machine has always run BIAB fine with write caching off (although my boot drive and my BIAB program drive are SSDs). My Geekbench single core score is 4400 (bad only because I use the Intel CPU graphics).

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,409
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.