Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
True, bug reporting is a tough thing to manage well in any software I use. But I see the BIAB Wishlist as something different.

We generally discuss bugs in two places that aren't here. One place is the main BIAB product forum. Before something is called a bug, we fellow users first try to rule out user error or lack of knowledge. The other place is a beta testing area in active use by a smaller group.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Many of what some may call bugs are not bugs, but a lack of knowledge of how to get to what you want. One should find out first if something works or not before calling it a bug. Lots of things have been called bugs in this forum only to turn out to be user error.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Many of what some may call bugs are not bugs, but a lack of knowledge of how to get to what you want. One should find out first if something works or not before calling it a bug. Lots of things have been called bugs in this forum only to turn out to be user error.

Much of the philosophy behind great UXD (user experience design) is that you design so that the product is usable by your average user without extensive studying of documentation. If your average users consistently fail at a task...that is generally considered a design flaw (bug) and needs to be corrected.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 04/13/16 05:01 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
BIAB is a huge program. Many different uses for many different players. I don't think there is a program like BIAB that covers so many bases. For my purposes I've haven't run into anything I could call a bug. When someone runs into something they can't do or make work, a question should be posted on the BIAB forum before they call it a bug. There are knowledgeable users on the forum who can find out if something is a bug or not. (not me!) There are over 24,000 registered on the forum and who knows how many thousands who aren't registered on the forum. Those who actually participate and share info on this forum are just a few dedicated knowledgeable users.

Last edited by raymb1; 04/13/16 05:57 PM.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Yeah I agree most users are probably not qualified to set status but when I see something that is plain wrong I will still report it as a bug! For example, I found (and reported) that changes in the mixer are saved with the song but changes you make there do NOT trigger the Save warning. Since obviously the intent is to warn me of changes I have made, and it does not work that way for mixer changes, then that is a bug!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: raymb1
For my purposes I've haven't run into anything I could call a bug.

You must be the only person in the world who runs BIAB 100% bug free. Congratulations!

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
What is a bug? Ah, a rose by any other name, etc.

To me a bug is when an advertised function does not work as advertised. That's it.

Things can be sloppy. Fine, but not a bug that's a suggestion for the Wishlist.

The help files don't help much. That's been a big one for me but it's not a bug, just a suggestion to clean them up.

The really old well talked about VST tempo sync issue. Not a bug because they don't advertise that. Another suggestion for the Wishlist.

Biab is a very complex program from a musicial pov because it does so many very sophisticated things that good musicians have wished for over the years. It takes time to figure out how to make it do what you want or what you think it should do.

Many times you realize that while it won't do what you think it should do it actually does it in a completely different way that you simply hadn't thought of until somebody points it out to you. That's not a bug either and it's not user error it's just a non intuitive way of doing something. All kinds of software is like that. Don't get me started on Excel...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
What is a bug?

Bob

How quickly we forget....

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273165#Post273165

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
What is a bug?

Bob

How quickly we forget....

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273165#Post273165

Thanks.

It's very tiring to explain the same things over an over.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A "wish" for a dedicated "Bugs & Issues" section has been made many times before, by myself too. Whether those were seen by staff...well, that's unfortunately anyone's guess. My suggestion, if you go back to page one (which I'll excuse you for not doing, since the system apparently defaults you to the last post), was to address just that by having a simple checkbox, thumbs up/down or what have you, for that sort of thing without having to waste time in hefty discussions.
It would even have benefits for users too, if implemented properly, for how often haven't people seen something in this section which they found rather a pointless idea but resisted the urge to go in and say so, to avoid tedious confrontations or arguments. I know I have (in which cases I usually just skip to the next thread). A handy thumbs icon, up & down, and we'd have a much clearer view of people's views (certainly a faster one, not having to go through loads of reading - unless of course we choose to).

Right, maybe now this thread will get back on track wink

There's only one thing to do in crisis like this - Sleep on it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
No, no, no, no...How quickly we forget what? That thread is a joke.

Jeesh, where do I start? First I'm not about to answer all of these so let's just start with the first one.

The transpose up a half step function. Did you not read Peters answer? Do you not after all this time and use with the program understand how RT's work? It's been explained only 99 thousand GAZILLION times. The RT's take time to generate. Period. Time, you know? Like ticks on your watch? How can you expect the program to generate INSTANTLY a constantly transposing RT woodshed session? Peter told you, use midi for that or buy yourself a $3,000 high end top of the line Intel i7 with a fast SSD so the RT's can generate in a split second. Not a bug.

The next thing is ASIO4ALL. It does NOT work well with everybody, just check out other DAW forums. And besides ASIO4ALL is a completely separate and FREE 3rd party program that you use at your own risk anyway and it most definitely is NOT an advertised feature of Biab. It's merely something to try if you're having latency issues. What serious home studio musicians do is spend the money for a good guality audio/midi interface that has a well known ASIO driver. That's the driver you use. ASIO4ALL is for people running old and slow machines and won't spend the money for the right stuff. I use a Roland Sonic Cell with the Roland ASIO driver. Works fine. People revere and miss Mac. He posted many times he was getting under 10ms of latency with these programs but it took some work which he described in detail. Not a bug.

Third, is all the crabbing about display issues. Most of that is your screen resolution which Cerio glossed over in that so called bug thread. This is the way it is in the modern world with all kinds of software. Programs get more and more complex and they require bigger screen real estate. If you insist on running a small screen then you have to increase the resolution to the point you need a big magnifying glass to see anything. That's all there is to that. If all you have is a 17" laptop well, good luck...Not a bug.

Then all this constant stuff about menu organization and all that. Yes, that could use some work but is that a bug? Of course not. PG doesn't advertise that we'll all love the menu system. Not a bug.

Want to mess with menu's? Try using Word to crop a picture or embed something or work with columns and boxes if you've never done it before and you go menu surfing. Absolute nightmare. Talk about unintuitive.

Since I haven't gone through and analyzed each and every one of those items in that thread, maybe some are true bugs but I doubt it.

Oh, Save and Save As. Do you know what Save As is for? It works as it should and is different from Save. Calling that a bug when apparantly you don't understand this basic Windows function is ridiculous.

Another one the VST save thing. That was recently answered in detail on the forum. Not a bug, you just don't understand how it works.

I using the word "you" generically when I think I should be referring to Cerio because that thread is all him or mostly him but, whatever.

Yes I know I'm coming on strong but when I see ignorant stuff like this it just....well you know.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
No, no, no, no...How quickly we forget what? That thread is a joke.

A lot of us do not think that thread is a joke and we wish many of those issues or bugs or whatever you wish to call them would be addressed in the software!

Maybe you failed to read the very last post in that thread?

Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
This is a very helpful thread. Thanks

Quote:
Oh, Save and Save As. Do you know what Save As is for? It works as it should and is different from Save. Calling that a bug when apparantly you don't understand this basic Windows function is ridiculous.

Not sure about this item from that post but I can tell you two ways in which the Save/SaveAs functionality is buggy!

First, things that are stored with a song when you save are supposed to trigger a Save/SaveAs when you have made changes and then try to quit or open a new song. But the mixer settings fail to trigger that warning. So you can save your song and then change mixer settings and close BIAB without getting a warning. That is about as clear a bug as I could think of!

Second, in Windows, when you have saved a file, subsequently made changes and then try to close that file you are supposed to get a warning. BIAB does this so so far so good. But, if you accept the warning by saying you do wish to save, the system is supposed to then save the file without further warnings just as if you had hit the Save button. But this is where BIAB does not follow the well established Windows convention. Instead it throws a SaveAs dialog which is wrong. And ,of course, when you try to save the file with the same name (as you ALWAYS do in a Save request), BIAB recognizes that the file already exists and prompts you to save as a new file! Confusing and annoying and...a bug!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 04/14/16 10:13 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Follow up on my second Save/SaveAs point above. I am unable to verify this in the latest version so maybe it was fixed. I'll look up my report in the Wish List from some time back to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 04/14/16 10:12 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
JohnJohnJohn: I think the save - save as (bug / problem / issue / thing / whatever) was finally fixed in build 429:

[i]Summary of Changes for Version 2016 Build 429 (Dec 18, 2015)
[...]
Fixed: After editing a song, when asked if you want to save your song, the [b]Save As dialog would always appear even if you had picked a file name for your song previously.

[...]
[/i]
[/b]

Bob: that thread can be a joke for you, but it's not a joke at all for many users who participated on it, including Peter Gannon, who finds it very helpful:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273165&page=all

It's obvious that you didn't made any effort to test the (bugs / problems / issues / whatever you wish to call them) reported on that thread. If you had, you'd realize (for example) that using the "Transpose song each chorus" feature is not working at all when working with Realtracks. And the main problem is NOT the silence between choruses, but the fact that the transposition algorithms are completely wrong. The details are here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=228461#Post228461

(Just for your information, in 2014 I sent an email to support reporting that thread and they confirmed the bug)

So, it's obvious that you didn't test the problem for yourself. From what you say, it's obvious that you haven't tried the other problems either. And you say, literally, that you "haven't gone through and analyzed each and every one of those items in that thread, maybe some are true bugs but I doubt it."

Why take the time and effort to really understand and test what was reported on that thread, when is much easier to just insult the person who made the reports the bugs calling him an ignorant?

Bob: all programs have bugs, and bug report is an important aspect of the software development process, not an attack to the software company. PGMusic (like any other software company) thanks the users who reports bugs and other issues. Please, don't feel the need of defending PGMusic against bug reports. You really don't have to.

And please, stop insulting.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Cerio
Better yet, stop using MY thread for arguing about ANOTHER thread! crazy

There's only one thing to do in crisis like this - Sleep on it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Originally Posted By: Cerio
Better yet, stop using MY thread for arguing about ANOTHER thread! crazy

Yes, you're right. Sorry.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
True, bug reporting is a tough thing to manage well in any software I use. But I see the BIAB Wishlist as something different.

We generally discuss bugs in two places that aren't here. One place is the main BIAB product forum. Before something is called a bug, we fellow users first try to rule out user error or lack of knowledge. The other place is a beta testing area in active use by a smaller group.

I agree, this is wish list for product improvement. An email to PG music or a phone call should be done outside of this site for something you believe is a bug. Possibly PG is unaware of the problem.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
I agree with all the posts above, and sorry that we haven't responded to the suggestions. We do welcome the suggestions, and read them all, and should have responses done soon.

Thank you, Dr. Gannon!

Del
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,642
Posts735,386
Members38,525
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.