Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Is there a chart showing which features are NOT available in new Mac version that ARE available in the new PC version?

Thanks.

JB

J
J
Great idea, Tackiepro. That would safe me so much time hoovering through the programme!

Cheers

Apprentice
Apprentice
I bought the basic version of 2009 upgrade from 12 dor Mac. I have also a MEGA MEGA versions of everything PG on my Wintel. All styles and melodies play across everything. I have a iMac intel core duo 2GB RAM.

Great stuff, Peter!

Lanny

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi lrosicky,
I have everything BIAB offers for the PC.
I also have the MAcBook Pro. No BIAB yet.
Are you saying we can purchase the basic version of MAC BIAB and copy all our files RD and RT and Styles Disks over to the Mac from the PC and all will work on the MAC?

Last edited by Reed; 06/03/09 05:15 AM.
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
A query -

I've got BIAB 2009 Ultrapak running quite happily via Parallels on my Macbook.

I've also got the OSX version 12 on the same mac.

If I upgrade to the Mac 2009 version, will all my addons including my realtracks and realdrums work? or will I need to get the Mac Ultrapak version?

Thanks

John

Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi John,
I didn't partition my Mac drive. Only using MAc.
I sure hope our question comes back as yes.

Can we copy PC versions RT's, RD's and Styles to the new MAC version of BIAB ???????

Last edited by Reed; 06/03/09 06:12 AM.

BIAB 2010.5 Build 20
Logic Studio 10.3.1
MOTU UltraLite-mk3
Sierra 10.12.4
Mac Mini 7.1 Intel Core i7 3 GHz, Memory 16GB
F
Expert
Expert
F
The RTs and RDs in the new MAC version are Apple compressed audio files (m4a), not WMA files, so you will have to get the MAC versions. Of course, if you want to try converting from WMA or Wav to m4a and see what happens....I am not sure about the BTO files.

Style files are cross-platform.

The cross-grade pricing is very fair and I was happy to put my money down.

Fred

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Sonoma, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
After I don't know how long carping about the continuing lack of upgrades for the Mac, today's email announcing version 2009 came as a very welcome surprise. On several counts.

The first is that it has happened at all. I think that the first promise was for Christmas 2006. Most of us, I think, believed that PG had given up entirely on the Mac. How glad I am to be proved wrong.

The second is that the upgrade almost makes it look like a totally new programme. Albeit one that clings to the original Atari look and feel. That shows how long I've been using it.

Next, by a lucky chance I've just upgraded to a new iMac after 9 years and more on the original revolutionary design. If I hadn't I'd be grinding my teeth in impotent fury, just like all those who still have G3s, G4s and G5s, the latter two capable of continuing to give reliable service well into the next decade. A missed selling opportunity there, although I understand why the decision was made.

Hopefully PGMusic will get out there and actively advertise the product to Mac users. If they don't know about it they won't buy it and there are a lot who have only had Intel powered Macs who will never have heard of BiaB. Review copies to all the Mac publications please. I'm only sorry I don't work for any of them so can't blag a freeby.

All in all then this looks, on the surface to be a monumental improvement on what we've been used to in the Mac BiaB society. Now that the bit is well and truly between the teeth, PG shouldn't shy away from commensurate updates. I had been looking seriously at iTunes new features but I will instead upgrade before the end of the offer period but hopefully after the maintenance release mentioned elsewhere.

As I said, it appears to be a totally new programme, has it been a root and branch rewrite? If so why keep the old look and feel?

That aside, you have at last made me very happy.

Best wishes.

The Last of The Barons
L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
L
Which version of the OS are you on? The mouse sticking was something I was experiencing in OSX 10.5.6 but since installing 10.5.7 it is cured. Before that I would put the iMac to sleep by briefly touching the power switch and then waking it up. No problems since the patches introduced with 10.5.7 though.

The Last of The Barons
K
K
I have a quick question about the Soloist feature. After assigning a Realtracks style, and then a Realtracks soloist, they sound great. The only thing is that the Realtrack soloist doesn't seem to be saved with the file. When I open it again, it loads all the Realtrack instruments within the style, but the soloist is gone, so I have to assign a soloist each time I play the file.

Also, when I access the list of Realtrack soloists and search for an appropriate one (specifically Jazz solos), it's kind of confusing because there are really only five or six jazz soloists (for the specific song tempo). All the rest seem to be additional styles, and if I click on those they change the style I originally selected. Maybe I'm not understanding it.

The Realtrack soloists that I am able to find (I have all the Everything Package, by the way) are fantastic! They not only sound real (because they are), the notes they are playing follow chord progressions better than musicians I've known!

Will there by additional styles and soloists available soon?

Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

Hi lrosicky,
I have everything BIAB offers for the PC.
I also have the MAcBook Pro. No BIAB yet.
Are you saying we can purchase the basic version of MAC BIAB and copy all our files RD and RT and Styles Disks over to the Mac from the PC and all will work on the MAC?

I do not think you can do this for RT or RD as these are acoustic files, not PG "data files".

Yes, I am saying that thing like styles, soloists, music disks like jazz practice or riffs work form me across platforms. There is a difference in the file structures of Mac and PC versions of BIAB so moving across style disks (for example from PC to Mac) is not enough. You have to also find the style.

Long time ago I asked Peter in this forum about this and his answer seemed to indicate PG had no problem with me cross-using styles.

Lanny

PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
kkrekeler ,

>>> I have a quick question about the Soloist feature. After assigning a Realtracks style, and then a Realtracks soloist, they sound great. The only thing is that the Realtrack soloist doesn't seem to be saved with the file. When I open it again, it loads all the Realtrack instruments within the style, but the soloist is gone, so I have to assign a soloist each time I play the file.

The solution there is to not use the Soloist button to generate the solos. Instead, open the RealTracks dialog (or dbl-click on the Melody or Soloist radio button to see the menu to launch the RealTracks dialog), and then assign the RealTracks to the Melody or Soloist track.
Then, whenever you press PLAY, you'll get a new solo generated on the Melody or Soloist track.
That assignment saves with the song, but the actual performance doesn't save with the song, because it is an audio file.
If you like the performance, the only way to save it is to Render the song (press the Audio button), and then you can render the individual tracks. BB doesn't load in the audio files that you've made, but you can then work with the audio tracks in ProTools, Logic, GarageBand etc.

>>> Also, when I access the list of Realtrack soloists and search for an appropriate one (specifically Jazz solos), it's kind of confusing because there are really only five or six jazz soloists (for the specific song tempo). All the rest seem to be additional styles, and if I click on those they change the style I originally selected. Maybe I'm not understanding it.

Yes, for a given tempo, in Jazz Swing Soloists, there are these 6 RealTracks Soloists available: Trumpet, Trombone, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Guitar, Piano.
You can filter the list by typing something like 'Jazz' in there, and sort by type to get Soloist up at the top.

>>> The Realtrack soloists that I am able to find (I have all the Everything Package, by the way) are fantastic! They not only sound real (because they are), the notes they are playing follow chord progressions better than musicians I've known!

Thanks!

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
R
R
Peter:

Let me just add my voice to those praising you for finally releasing this Mac version. I wasn't checking this site that frequently so it wasn't until I got a marketing email last night that I found out it was available. I instantly grabbed my credit card and upgraded.

I haven't even scratched the surface yet of the bits I've downloaded (I'm waiting on my 80GB hard drive) but I've already been very pleased with the BIAB upgrade.

I know some of us were starting to get pretty impatient this last year but it was well worth the wait.

Good job!

--Jim Titus

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Hi Andrew.

Though I 'd share my findings in case any one else had the issue.
Actually the instal location button takes you the actual folder that can be redirected, unlike any installer I have seen. Just point to the folder and you can choose what location. Most MAC centric installers have a pop up menu to which you can redirect. Not complaining but could trip up others.

The 2nd screen capture is the text file for realtrack sets 11-12 with the typo stating sets 1-3 oops. No ones perfect

T

K
K
Quote:

kkrekeler ,

>>> I have a quick question about the Soloist feature. After assigning a Realtracks style, and then a Realtracks soloist, they sound great. The only thing is that the Realtrack soloist doesn't seem to be saved with the file. When I open it again, it loads all the Realtrack instruments within the style, but the soloist is gone, so I have to assign a soloist each time I play the file.

The solution there is to not use the Soloist button to generate the solos. Instead, open the RealTracks dialog (or dbl-click on the Melody or Soloist radio button to see the menu to launch the RealTracks dialog), and then assign the RealTracks to the Melody or Soloist track.
Then, whenever you press PLAY, you'll get a new solo generated on the Melody or Soloist track.
That assignment saves with the song, but the actual performance doesn't save with the song, because it is an audio file.
If you like the performance, the only way to save it is to Render the song (press the Audio button), and then you can render the individual tracks. BB doesn't load in the audio files that you've made, but you can then work with the audio tracks in ProTools, Logic, GarageBand etc.

Using this method, is there then a way to set the song so the solo is heard only during the second chorus instead of throughout the entire song? Or would you have to render the audio and edit in a program like Garageband?

PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
>>> Using this method, is there then a way to set the song so the solo is heard only during the second chorus instead of throughout the entire song? Or would you have to render the audio and edit in a program like Garageband?

Yes. You can get control over which bars or choruses that the RealTracks play, using the Bar Settings dialog. You launch this dialog via F5 key (or Edit-Bar Settings, or ctrl-click on the chord sheet).

From there, you can Mute or Un-Mute an instrument.
For example, you could have an instrument (melody) muted until the 2nd chorus bar 9, where it would play for 8 bars. You would do this as follows.
Chorus 1 Bar 1: Set to MUTE
Chorus 2 Bar 9: Set to Normal Volume
Chorus 2 Bar 17: Set to MUTE

Since there are 7 tracks available (bass,drums, piano, guitar, strings, melody, soloist), you can have a 4 piece rhythm section, and 3 more tracks to be customized in this way, so that soloists can take turns.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks Tonio

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
K
K
Thanks for the tip! That works really well. Now I can even add one-measure solos as fillers when there's a break in the melody. This is a fantastic program.

P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
I was wondering, what can't the mac version do that the windows version can't? If any, why and will this be rectified some time soon?

Thanks.

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
For Macintel users this must be good news. For those who use both platforms and have the PC BIAB, you could probably figure out how to run that on a Macintel using VM Ware Fusion 2 (not emulation, like the sluggish Parallels):

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173