#25034 06/01/09 09:51 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
I have recently purchased Real guitar 2.15L and it has a dll to work in BIAB. If anyone has used RG in BIAB could you share any info on best way to use this plugin or styles that work better in it. I have only entered a group of chords and played thru rg once or so. Thanks Wyndham

F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
Hi, I don't have RealGuitar but I have recently purchased Applied Acoustics "Acoustic Strum" and "Electric Strum" and if RG is anything like these two plugins then it is very difficult to apply them in BB or Real Band, as far as generating MIDI tracks goes. The reason is that they employ Key switches to do your strumming and arpeggios with. So when I'm doing a track with them I just basically hold down the chords on keyboard on the first pass and in the second pass I play the key switches to get my strums. The two main key switches for strumming are C5 for downstroke and D5 for upstroke. For finger picking styles I have Acoustic Legends and that works really well from a generated MIDI track from BB or RB. But this is more of a finger picking style of plugin with great acoustic guitar samples.

Fivehands
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Two words Real Tracks!!!!!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Robh, I love RealTracks, but honestly RG is an incredibly versatile and realistic-sounding instrument. I have to get the new version at some point. Not familiar with the Applied Acoustics products, but they sound great.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
W
Wyndham Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
W
I have RT's but have loved the sound of RG for a long time. I had a chance to get it as a return from Guitar center at a great price. That was ok since i have tried the demos several times.
A few of the style sound good , most are not for RG, but the few that are will do well, I hope.
The new version has midi out and channel select so I need to see how this will fit in with BIAB. A lot to learn but worth it I think. Wyndham

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Any option that upgrades the sound is a good thing!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
I keep trying to generate an acoustic track and I have the HD Audiophile version. No probs generating a nice track but, as I've already commented on this, the time stretch on the audio leaves very significant artifacts and that is the reality of it for acoustic guitar. And it really doesn't matter how close you get to the Recommended Tempo. Everything just sounds shaky. Now I've gone to the actual files on the disk just to check them out and THEY sound pristine, but this is what happens with acoustic real tracks. Depending on what you are using them for I guess it would not really show itself in the mix. To me the shakiness of the tracks is pretty obvious. I think this is just a natural result of time stretching and audio manipulation.

Fivehands
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I think this is just a natural result of time stretching and audio manipulation.

Many of us do not get that, though.

I suspect something on your machine and OS setup may be causing this.

First thing to check is the hard drive. Make sure it is Defragmented and has a good amount of free space.

Amount of physical RAM available is important, too. With today's operating systems, 1gig of physical RAM is the minimum for doing this kind of work with impunity IMHO.

There can be other things that can cause a problem as you describe, also, these are the first two basics to cover.

Again, I've put together some very good sounding AC Guitar tracks using the RealTracks, as have many others around here.

--Mac

Mac #25042 06/03/09 03:50 PM
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Mine sound good as long as i stay within the basic perameters PG suggest.

F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
There's nothing wrong with my OS or my harddrive. I defragment all the time. I'm running 2 gigs of RAM. I run lots of audio and syths in Cubase 4 and 5. I've seen other people mention this on the forums too. It's not PG's fault or anything but I just said that I think it is a natural result of timestretching. I've timestretched many times in Melodyne Studio and, depending on the polyphany of the audio this is what will happen. And I realize too that it isn't only timestretching that we are talking about here, it is also pitch manipulation too. What I'm going to try is to go into the PG harddrive where all the audio sits and take an acoustic file there and bring it into Melodyne and manipulate it and see what happens. Meanwhile I would really like to hear a clean example of an acoustic track from someone. I'm not insisting I'm right, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't my computer that is causing the shakiness. LIke I said in the earlier post, it is hardly noticable at all in a mix.

Fivehands
F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
Well, I was so curious as to what would happen in Melodyne to an acoustic guitar strumming track that I just want to report this as a followup. First I brought in some acoustic file from the PG Harddrive and there must be like a timecode embedded in the audio file because it imported into Melodyne perfectly at something like 129.7 bpm. Something close to that and it was lined up perfectly bar to bar. And it sounded great. So Melodyne Studio has a Transport where you can change the Tempo and autostretch the file at the same time, so I brought it up to like 140 and the bar grid went perfect to the timestretch. AND I couldn't hear any artifacts or shakiness or warbliness in the acoustic strumming. So then I started splitting the file a bit and bringing certain parts up a few tones and a some down. Nothing really in artifacts. The lower I brought the key down the more artifacts I could hear. So, these are the Wav files by the way, I concluded anyway that these tracks are really well recorded. I thought also that with a bit of work I could construct my own pristine sounding acoustic tracks just from importing them like this.

Fivehands
F
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
F
And then I went into Band in a Box, and I had a song laid out that needed a country style with acoustic strumming. And I picked a style with a Recommended Tempo of 85, but my song is at a tempo of 98. I soloed the Acoustic guitar Real Track and I could definitely hear the warbliness at that tempo. So then I reset the tempo at 85, the Recommended Tempo, and I could not detect any artifacts, shakiness or warble in the track. So I must conclude too that, as Rob H. said, if you stay within the recommended parameters the track should be OK. I should say too that the only kind of track that I have heard this kind of warble in is an acoustic strumming track, from which I might conclude that the more polyphony there is in a track then the less flexibility there is with it. BUT, when I brought in the Real Track from the HD earlier into Melodyne I had also raised the tempo by quite a bit and the track was still pristine. So I guess there are many more factors at play within the program itself, and this is more complex than just raising and lowering the tempo along with changing the pitches. I also tried increasing the tempo by the same amount with an acoustic fingerpicking style and I really couldn't hear anything that would be an artifact or anything. Anyway, it was fun experimenting and getting to know what the limitations are. I guess to really know that I would have to raise, as well as lower, the tempo of an acoustic strumming track by 1 bpm at a time until I hear it starting to warble.
I had considered the possibility that this was caused by the USB streaming from the HD to the computer but it has only been detected by me in acoustic strumming Real Tracks. But I don't use the program as extensively as a lot of people do, just for a track here and a track there, so I haven't gotten that deep into it yet.

Fivehands
Apprentice
Apprentice
For an example of an acoustic guitar using Real Guitar (Which I have used for a couple of years now), just click my name (Link) below. Both the songs (country) I made myself using BIAB and Powertrax. I then Used Real guitar as a plug in using a nice steel string with a few tweaks. (I didn't Have real track then). For those Interested the drums are BFD And Bass Is Trilogy

Take Care And Be Happy

Mr Mikey
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,410
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.