Print Thread
Go To
#356872 07/10/16 05:20 PM
Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have recently aquired another monitor and would like to run dual monitors. My current graphic card is an outdated AMD Radeon HD7480D that only has one vga output. Any suggestions for a reasonable priced card with the three different outputs. My application is mostly BIAB, I do not game, twitter, skype, or watch movies on this unit. I was looking at something similiar to an AMD Radeon R7 360 graphics card. If there is something that will do the job for less money,naturally i would be interested. My usb ports are all filled so using an usb adapter is not a solution. My thanks for any attention given this query. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
DennisD #356942 07/11/16 06:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Try sites like microcenter.com or newegg.com to find deals. Just make sure you get a good view of the outputs so you know it will work for the number of screens you have.

I've kind of stuck with the EVGA brand of NVIDIA cards over the years although AMD has good stuff too.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
DennisD #357220 07/13/16 01:46 PM
Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Steve, thanks for your reply. I assume from your reply that as long as the card meets the output requirements that I am looking for, any graphic card will do. with that in mind I can get a:
NVIDIA GeForce GT730 64bit 1GB VGA/DVI/HDMI DDR3 PCI-E X8 2.0 Graphics Card F6S8 for about $80.00cdn. I was just concerned that a certain type of graphic card and/or memory would give me a better screen result when using RB or PT. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
DennisD #357227 07/13/16 02:54 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
None of the PG Music programs are graphic-intensive. For one thing, there's no 3D. Any modern card that gives you the outputs you need should be more than fine for the screen refresh used in BIAB or RB etc.

More memory on a graphics card probably won't be any benefit to you for these programs, but just in case you were referring to general RAM, more could help in other ways. Multitasking many programs is an obvious benefit. Using RAM-intensive software synths for MIDI is another. BIAB does load RealTracks into RAM as a song is regenerated, so having enough is important. As far as I recall, though, the minimum needed isn't that high.

As an aside, for a long time AMD and NVIDIA cards were pretty equal. More recently, the trade magazines seem to favor NVIDIA.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
DennisD #357362 07/14/16 02:54 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good stuff Matt, big NVIDIA fan here.

Dennis, that card would do you well and you can't beat the price. Another thing to note is to make sure the card you buy will fit to your PC. Nothing sucks more than to order a card with a connector type that doesn't match what you have available.

I use a NVIDIA GeForce GTX970. I need the higher graphic requirements to do my flight sim stuff on the 3 screens I use. So my PC is gamer/musician. I configured it first to handle the gaming and the music stuff was good as soon as I got a good sound interface.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
DennisD #357513 07/16/16 05:23 AM
Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Steve and Matt, thanks for your replies. That is the information I have been looking for. I will confirm that my computer has the room and compatible slot type to accommodate that care or any other I may choose. What a great resource this forum continues to be for people like myself who need information. Thanks again guys. DennisD

DennisD #360001 08/08/16 11:55 AM
Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well, my saga continues. I purchased the following card from ebay-NVIDIA GeForce GT730 64bit 1GB VGA/DVI/HDMI DDR3 PCI-E X8 2.0 Graphics Card F6S8. Installed it in the pci slot. booted up and got a distorted screen. went into control panel etc. and did setting to match monitor (Acer G276HL abid), which were 1920x1080.60hZ.2ms reponse. I couldnt load the drivers they sent me because they were for win8, vista.I managed to locate drivers for a different model in win10 and loaded that.The resolution appeared corrected but i get an annoying flicker. It has been quite frustrating because the manual is in Chinese, and the drivers were for win7, win8, and vista. No where in the sale description was the previous stated. I have emails back to the supplier about correct drivers but am wondering if any forum members have any helpful experiences. thanks DennisD

DennisD #360004 08/08/16 12:19 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
sorry to crash the thread, but I noticed it was on graphics cards. Anybody here have experience with the GTX 1060 or 1070 card? I've been looking at them, but the fact that many companies make their own version of these cards really confuses the pricing. I don't get how a GTX 1060 can cost anywhere from $249 to almost $400 depending on who made it.

DennisD #360009 08/08/16 01:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
DennisD, I assume you have rebooted by now, to finish the installation. It sounds like you aren't running at 59 or 60 frames per second refresh rate, but something lower. Look up how to check your refresh rate.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,
Did you mean 60 Hertz?
That seems more common than 60 frames per second, at least as far as video settings.

DennisD,
Check it using Control Panel - Display - Change Display Settings - Advanced .. then the Monitor tab

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
DennisD #360015 08/08/16 01:25 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DennisD
I purchased the following card from ebay-NVIDIA GeForce GT730 64bit 1GB VGA/DVI/HDMI DDR3 PCI-E X8 2.0 Graphics Card F6S8.

Sorry to hear about the issue Dennis. Who's the brand on that card? Their site should have drivers. (EVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, etc) Did you buy from an unpopular vendor? That could make finding drivers difficult.

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
But the fact that many companies make their own version of these cards really confuses the pricing. I don't get how a GTX 1060 can cost anywhere from $249 to almost $400 depending on who made it.

I've been through half a dozen EVGA cards during the past 15 years. Never had an issue with them, my favorite. Found this question with the Google dated 2011:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Q. I need to know which brands are reliable for Nvidia.

A.
EVGA
GIGABYTE
XFX
ASUS
Galaxy
Palit Microsystems
PNY Technologies, Inc

Please simply delete the ones you think are NOT reliable, that simple, then Ill get a feel of which ones are reliable
----------------------------------------------------------------

Steve

DennisD #360017 08/08/16 01:30 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Matt alluded to this, but you may want to remove the old drivers and do a reboot, install new, do a reboot and then check it.

Sometimes it is important to reboot between removal and install.
Not all programs/drivers act the same in the removal process.

I assume the system will revert to the original factory drivers after the first reboot (removal), so if you've already removed those original drivers, I'd have to rethink my idea.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
DennisD #360029 08/08/16 02:40 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, yes all around. Refresh rate of 60 Hz is a complete redraw of the screen 60 times per second. It's not so much of a problem now with LCD/LED screens as it was with the old CRTs, but when people mention monitor 'flicker', it bears checking.

DennisD #360078 08/09/16 02:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just about any dual output card should work fine for a DAW dual monitor setup. I bought one of the cheapest video cards I could find when I built my DAW. IIRC, it was about $15 and had dual outputs but I only use the VGA out for my viewing monitor. IIRC it also has an HDMI on it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
DennisD #360188 08/09/16 11:52 AM
Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Further to my earlier posts I had an "eureka" moment and solved the problem. Even though an earlier post on Youtube suggested that always plug your primary monitor into the vga I output, I plugged my new 27" monitor into the hdmi output as the primary and got a beautiful signal. I then plugged my 19" monitor into the vga output, and simply using the display wizard set up for two monitors.A pretty simple solution once recognized but getting there was a challenge for a dummy like me. What a pleasure using RealBand and Reaper with the big monitor is so easy on the eyes. Thanks to all of you for trying to answer my cry for help. DennisD

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,686
Posts735,929
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177