#377637 11/27/16 08:46 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V

Hi,

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or advise me about starting a song with a drum fill/roll.

I have been trying to follow this video https://youtu.be/xf-MZ1B37L0 that creates a backing track for Sultans of Swing.

I lose him when he makes that drum intro at bar 1.

All I get is a choice between the A part, and the B part.

How do I get the same result as the video

Thanks in advance.

V

Vincent7344 #377690 11/28/16 03:44 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I don't have BIAB open right now.
Try F5, mute all instruments except the Drums.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
Vincent7344 #377696 11/28/16 04:09 AM
Veteran
Veteran
He showed it right there. It seemed pretty straightforward and simple to do using his method.

You can also select the instruments to play or mute measure by measure.

I have used a similar method.... I don't know that I split the bar out but I do think I had 2 blue marked bars in a row and muted everything except the drums.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Vincent7344 #377773 11/28/16 09:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran
The 'biggest' fill occurs when going from a green part marker to a blue, but the choice of markers for you depends on what type your intro is. In most of my songs, intros are green, settling down to a blue part marker for the A section (verse). You might want a different colored part marker in bar 1 (muted via F5) than in bar 2. Or the same. You just have to experiment with that particular drum kit.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Guitarhacker #377894 11/28/16 03:24 PM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V
It might seem straightforward to you, but it isn't to me.

Stopping all instruments, and just leaving drums on is easy. Starting all instruments again is easy.

What I cannot get is a drum roll on the first bar....can you?

What I get is one bar of regular drums, ....no nice little roll. I can get either 'A' pattern, or 'B' pattern, but no intro roll

Have you actually tried it?

Vincent

Guitarhacker #377895 11/28/16 03:28 PM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V
Yes, it did seem easy, but I couldn't get it to work. Which is the reason for the question.

I seem to be only able to choose between part 'A', or part 'B'.

Neither of these one bar patterns sound anything like the intro drum roll that is heard on the video.

Obviously I'm missing something, I'm just wondering f anyone knows what it is.

Can anyone duplicate it?

Vincent

DEddy #377897 11/28/16 03:34 PM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V

The muting of instruments, and then making them sound at bar 2 is easy enough using F5.

I can actually do that.

What I can't seem to get is the same drum roll he gets in Bar 1. I am using the same drum RT that he is using.

I know the part marker is supposed to induce a drum fill in the previous bar, but I don't get a fill, I get regular verse drumbeat.

Vincent

Matt Finley #377899 11/28/16 03:40 PM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V
Muting and unmuting instruments works fine.....it's the content of the first bar intro that I can't duplicate.

No matter whether the part marker is green or blue, I don't get that intro roll.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who answered. I didn't post here at the first complication. I spent a couple of hours with the manual and online trying to sort it out myself, before I posted here.

Vincent

Vincent7344 #377920 11/28/16 05:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I didn't listen to the video (bad cell service). What is the BIAB drum RealTrack you are using?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Matt Finley #377922 11/28/16 05:27 PM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V
Thanks for the reply.

The drum track Is RockBritDriving Ev16.

Vincent

Vincent7344 #377928 11/28/16 06:41 PM
Veteran
Veteran
If you find the actual real track in the /BB/RealTracks folder, you can listen to the raw audio file see if any such drum roll was recorded for that style track. It may not be there.

Matt Finley #377948 11/28/16 08:56 PM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V

It's definitely there.

If I do a four bar generated intro, I get the roll on the last two bars.

I can then mute the first two bars, and it sounds as per You Tube, but of course the whole thing is two bars away from the count-in.

If I cut the first two bars of the generated intro, then I lose the drum roll.

Vincent7344 #378004 11/29/16 03:29 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Ok. Is the two-bar displacement a problem? I do that all the time.

Matt Finley #378041 11/29/16 04:54 AM
V
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
V

No, it's not going to be a problem.

I was just a little worried I was doing something wrong, and I'm still wondering how that guy did it.

Thanks for the replies though.

Vincent

Vincent7344 #378051 11/29/16 05:25 AM
Veteran
Veteran
The thing I have noticed is that every time you generate, unless you have a track frozen, it generates a bit differently each time. Try a few regenerations. You might get lucky. I have. Freeze it when you get it.

Try splitting the line like was shown in the video, and change the bar to blue/green as needed. Experiment.

You can also CHEAT. I hate to use the word "cheat" because it's not cheating, it's being creative. There's no law that says you have to make it work completely to your satisfaction in BB. You can and should have a DAW. ( Real Band is a DAW ) It's generally pretty easy in a good DAW to find a fill or two elsewhere in the track and copy them out, splice them together in the first measure and create the fill or the roll for the drum intro/pickup. I can not count the times I have done this very thing. Not only at the start, but also in the song where I needed a bigger fill than was delivered by BB/RB.

It doesn't matter how you get to the final mix, just as long as you get there.

Just a peek inside my work process: The original sketch or rough draft I create in BB sounds nothing like the final mix that I put up in the showcase for people to hear. I have worked on it and made edits and cuts and splices and overdubs, and all sorts of things have happened in my DAW to get to the final mix with the polish and shine you hear. If I can get BB or RB to do something, it's all well and good, but as is often the case, they won't do exactly what I want so I have to figure out a way to get it done some other way. The only limit you face in getting something done in music today is the limits you set for yourself. Think outside the box and find a way to create what you need.

I have several examples but I won't bore you. You can figure out how to do this if you really want it. And, you will learn so much in the process.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,681
Posts735,867
Members38,538
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb, adolesentcodger, Elizabeth Stephen
38,537 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 177