Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
All of a sudden BIAB will not run after having Windows 10 upgrade. I keep having issues with my asio driver in BIAB. It keeps crashing in the program. My DAW and Windows use the audio fine, it's just BIAB that will not work. I sent off a crash report to PG Music. Has anyone else had any issues with this?
It's a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library issue.
There's a big red X Assertion Failed!

Veteran
Veteran
Is this the Creators Update, or regular patches?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
First, I can confirm - "no problems with win 10 updates (even creator update) and sound at this end".

Second, audio drivers can be tricky and finicky at times, which means I have been known on occasion to re-install. And regarding BIAB, return to factory setting is even more frequently used.

Third, I don't use ASIO in BIAB - no need, since I don't record in BIAB. As a result, I can run my DAW (Reaper) with ASIO and BIAB with MME simultaneously.

Good luck

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I like Dan's third point especially. I also do not use ASIO for BIAB. And his step 2 is a must-try.

Just in case it helps, what is your audio interface that uses ASIO?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It was the creators upgrade Matt. The one that said it had new and better improvements sure?

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I use the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 . It has been great with no exception period. BIAB used it fine until I updated Windows. It has the latest drivers and like I motioned My DAW's work fine I use Reaper and Mixcraft 8 I also use Cognitone Synfire Express with no problems. I reinstalled the drivers for the Scarlett and now I'm reinstalling BIAB full installation to see if that helps. I had been using BIAB directing fron the USB hd.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I get this message when I try to run BIAB.
GetBufferSize function failed. Your asio driver may not be installed properly.
Like I said it is installed properly. I reinstalled to hard drive did not work,ran from usb hd did not work. Ran Realband and some of it worked I heard sounds when I generated tracks. I reinstalled Microsoft Visual Runtime also. This makes no since it worked last night, installed Windows update and now this. Makes no since.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: leonard1962
... and now I'm reinstalling BIAB full installation to see if that helps.

Did you do the "return to factory setting"? After turning the computer off and on, this is the next thing to do. Lots quicker than a full re-install, but if you have the time..

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
No, I can't even open the program without it crashing right away now. I also installed latest update to BIAB to no avail. I can only attribute this to the upgrade and my particular machine. Apparently whatever it did only affected BIAB and nothing else. I've run other musical programs like Improviser and Synfire with no problem. I even tried to run BIAB in administrator mode and nothing.

Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like BIAB config is really jazzed-up. There are 2-3 files in the BB directory you can delete to bring all you configuration back to stock. Some one here knows exactly what those files are.

Start with this file:
...to return to default settings, that's especially useful if BiaB won't start, is to rename the file INTRFACE.BBW in your \bb\ folder. If you rename it to ~INTRFACE.BBW BiaB won't find the file and will restore all settings to the factory defaults. If you wish to restore the file it's easy to find it as the ~ will put the file at the top of the files list in explorer.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 05/29/17 06:21 AM.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well, I fixed the problem. I don't know why or how but BIAB decided that my asio drivers for my Scarlett 18i20 were not installed properly even though they were. I went to manage devices in windows and everything was the way it should be. So I took a chance and downloaded ASIO for all and there you go. Back to normal everything is the way it should be. Apparently the ASIO for all driver must have added something to a file because I'm using the asio driver that was installed by Focusrite.
This was all the fault of this latest Windows upgrade. It has to be, because last night it worked, the upgrade was scheduled for after midnight. This morning it was not working.
I wasn't in a panic mode yet because of all the years using Windows, I just knew it had to be something stupid. Thanks for any and all replies.

Veteran
Veteran
I have two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 units, one 1st and one 2nd generation. I have not updated either Windows PC to the Creators Update yet.

ASIO4ALL works because it is not ASIO. It is a wrapper for WDM to make the system think it's using ASIO. You will have greater latency for recording in your DAW.

This is not your permanent solution. I suspect Focusrite will have to release new drivers.

Which 18i20 do you have, 1st or 2nd generation?

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
1st Generation. But, when I go into BIAB ASIO for All isn't even listed, it only shows the Scarlett ASIO driver. That's what I don't understand. But, yea if they update the driver I will get it. I doubt they will though since it's older hardware.

Veteran
Veteran

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Yea, I saw that too. It said it was compatible with both. My problem seems to have been related only too my setup. Who knows, sometimes computers just screw up for no reason. It's working now so I'm happy. I hope they can figure out what was wrong when I sent them the crash report incase anyone else runs into a problem.

L
Expert
Expert
L
I'm on some Beta? version of Creator's update to Windows 10. I've had no problems with Windows 10 since the strange one with the start button dying a couple of years back. My PC works flawlessly as a paperweight! Just joking. I really like Windows 10. Just saw 3 more updates. A bit like Xmas.... I only stream on it. Live would be a whole different ball game.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: leonard1962
I use the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 . It has been great with no exception period. BIAB used it fine until I updated Windows. ...... I had been using BIAB directing fron the USB hd.

I never had problems with USB and firewire with a Fireface 800 and a RME UFX. With Windows 7 64bit.

Then Firewire and USB problems arose when i upgraded windows 10 from within windows 7. So then i did a fresh new Windows 10 64bit installation, stripped from a lot of consumer features of course, and it seemed to run far better and smoother, probably due f.i. a skimmed registry.

Now i experience USB problems, thus with windows 10 only, and especially RME UFX ii USB drivers. These seem to be related to the motherboard's x99 chipset and/or ASmedia USB chips, i installed a now obsolete ASUS u3s9 PCIe card with a NEC USB 3.0 chip, and my UFX ii works better it seems, no dropouts or distortion as i had before.

BTW these windows 10 - USB issues could be related to your Graphics card too; get the latest drivers, and don't use those gamer 's tune up tools and utilities, just the basic drivers ..

MOTTO IMO: Windows 10 can be darn fast, but it STILL sucks. F

Veteran
Veteran
I just did the Creators update two hours ago and the first thing I did was play Biab. No issues at all and I've been doing other things since then and no issues. I haven't done everything that I usually do but so far it's fine.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, terrific news.

What I've read seems to point to specific drivers being hosed, but not all of them. It may take awhile to shake down.

Expert
Expert
Just FYI: I have only just downloaded the latest BIAB so I cant comment on it yet.

But...

Since Creator update I have experienced several issues with my Focusrite LIquid 56, Saffire 3.7 driver.

I think this is sample rate related. Sometimes Saffire fixes on 192ks (far too high) and will not change until you fiddle with buffer sizes. I have found that sometimes utube videos freeze and are silent. If I then go to windows and change the sound device to a generic one I have, then back to saffire, suddenly everything works, though the issue has repeated itself on my system. I reinstalled both graphic and sound drivers. No luck.

I contacted Focusrite and received the following reply that requires a deep reinstall: (I have not done this as my system currently works

"As discussed, at this stage I would advise that we fully remove all Saffire components so that we can cleanly reinstall them on your system. To do that, please follow this procedure:

- With the Saffire on, go to Control Panel > Device Manager
- Locate the Saffire under 'Sound, video and game controllers'
- Right click on it and select 'Uninstall', then tick the checkbox to fully remove the driver
- Once this completes, switch off the Saffire

- Next, click the Start icon and type cmd
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'
- Type the following command

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

- Press enter
- Type the following command

devmgmt.msc

- This will re-launch Device Manager
- Go to View at the top of the screen, then select the 'Show Hidden Devices' open
- Expand 'Sound, video and game controllers', then right-click on any Saffire devices still showing here and select 'Uninstall' (there may be no Saffire devices here, if that's the case proceed to the next step)

- Open Control Panel and go to 'Programs and Features'
- Fully uninstall Saffire Mix Control (ensure that you've saved any presets you wish to keep as discussed on the phone)
- Restart the computer

After the restart, if you haven't already, I'd recommend working through the optimisation steps for Windows 10 that are outlined in the following guide to try to ensure smooth audio performance: Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows 10

After doing this, reinstall Saffire Mix Control 3.7: https://d2zjg0qo565n2.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/25075/saffire-mixcontrol-3.7.exe

Once this completes, restart the computer one final time and then switch on your Saffire. Before playing any audio, please right-click on the Sound icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and then select 'Playback Devices'. In here, double-click on the Saffire, then navigate to the 'Advanced' tab. Set the sample rate here to the desired rate, then do the same steps on the 'Recording' tab.

After doing this, please test again - has this fixed the issue?

Please let me know how you get on.
Best Regards,

Focusrite Technical Support"

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,711
Posts736,323
Members38,550
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SLM, Ricki Susic, kcowmusic, guylamar2006, John Hunt
38,550 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 180