Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#34569 08/31/09 05:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just back from 2 weeks in the cabin in the far north. No power, no phone, no cellphone coverage, just a cabin, woodstove, and propane lights. (Good thing it was -2 C Thursday night. The only problem was the 10 hour drive home (sigh).

My current keyboard is a Roland/Rogers W50, and I have it hooked up to the Ketron Sd2, and use either the direct out to the board or the Ketron, depending on my needs.

The wife plays piano, she took an Honours Music degree in Music Ed with piano as her major, but won't play the keyboard, no 88 keys.

So we want an 88 key keyboard to share, with lots of good sounds, hope it lasts 15 years or so, and probably connect it via usb to biab.

What do you suggest and why?

The only main parameter is that it not be a back breaker to move.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #34570 08/31/09 07:01 AM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hey John, Roland has a new line of stage pianos like this
Quote:

The Supreme Piano for Stage Performance
Step onstage and step up to the world’s most impressive stage pianos, with amazing pianos and EPs onboard, plus audio-play and master control features.

The RD-300GX is powered by Roland’s latest sound engine for incredible sound quality.
Stunning 88-key stereo multi-sampled piano sounds
Highly portable stage piano, equipped with PHA alpha II 88-key weighted keyboard which provides the excellent touch.
Audio playback of WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy onstage control with Audio Key feature
Piano Designer function for creating the perfect custom instruments
Multiple zones for master-control functionality

Perfect Piano
The RD-300GX features two sets of 88-key stereo multisampled pianos sounds from the popular RD-700SX. In addition to their super-expressive onboard piano sound-sets, other essential instruments are built into these new pianos, including EPs. You can even customize and save your sounds for instant recall.

Perfect Touch
The RD-300GX features an excellent PHA alpha II weighted keyboard, which simulates a real grand piano by providing a heavier touch in the lower octaves that gets increasingly lighter in the upper range. This keyboard has many of the same design elements as Roland’s acclaimed PHA II keyboard, but its keyboard-action mechanism is much more compact and lightweight.

USB Audio Enhancement
Play audio through the RD-300GX directly from a USB memory key. Flexible file compatibility enables playback of Standard MIDI Files, WAV, AIFF and MP3s. The "Audio Key" feature lets you use the bottom 15 keys for controlling start song, song length, etc. In addition, you can connect directly to a PC via USB and tap into Cakewalk SONAR LE software, included in every RD-300GX package.

Custom Shop
For those who like to get inside an instrument and customize its sounds, the RD-300GX’s Piano Designer feature is your key to unlocking and personalizing the sound-set, down to the smallest details such as Hammer Noise, Damper Resonance, Duplex Scale, and more.

High-Quality Effects
For subtle sweetening or complete transformation, the RD-300GX offers a wide lineup of 78 multi-effect types to choose from, plus independent effects such as reverb, 2-band digital EQ, and Sound Control. Add sparkle to your grand piano sound, deep-fry an electric piano, add depth and spatial movement to strings ― the choices are vast.

Lightweight, Compact
It has an impressive, heavy-duty body (with sophisticated black brushed metal finish) but the RD-300GX is actually one of the lightest 88-note piano in its class. It’s ultra easy to transport at about 36 pounds (16.4 kg), — yet built tough enough for the rigors of the road.

Included:
Owner's Manual,
Audio Key Utility 2 Quick Guide,
CD-ROM (Audio Key Utility 2, SONAR LE),
Damper Pedal,
Power Cord

I think the is around $1500-$1700.
Our church has the earlier sx model and I wish we had some of the extra USB features this on has. It might be worth a trip to a local Roland dealer to check them out.
Hope this helps Wyndham

Wyndham #34571 08/31/09 07:31 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have a Roland M1+,two Roand M3R's and a Roland G-1000 arranger...just mentioned these for I do personally prefer the Yamaha sound chips and own a Motif 88-key weighted ES model, which can be had now for less than the above mentioned board.
You can look up the specs on the Motif ES88, and they are quite feature-filled, with lots of room (if not present in a used model) for additional PG-based sound cards. The weighted action is great, but this keyboard weighs like a tank and would be difficult to schlep-around-with to gigs, altho I've seen many on the live stage and well as the studio. Out of six keyboards, it's the only weighted 88 I own...wish I had a Clavinova? No!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
John Conley #34572 08/31/09 07:35 AM
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Since you have the Ketron have you thought about going with an 88 key controller. You will probably save a bundle. Here's a piano/controller combo that looks nice, with weighted keys. Might be worth checking out their demo sounds.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProKeys88.html

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
PgFantastic #34573 08/31/09 08:51 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I have a Yamaha DGX. I bought it as soon as I heard its piano sounds. The model I have has been discontinued, but lives on in the YPG models. The different models have different numbers of keys, weight/nonweight, etc, and all have great sounds. All are outstanding value for dollars.

Try out the YGP at a store and let me know what you think.

Here is a link:

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.co...RAND?sku=706176

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
John Conley #34574 08/31/09 09:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

If you decide to go with the Ketron as an external module, the Studiologic SL-990XP 88-Key MIDI Controller is the most cost-effective and high quality solution of which I am aware. I have had my hands on a friend's and can attest to its piano-like feel and durability--he has had it for over three years and uses it constantly in his studio.

It comes with a power supply, but you would need to add a sustain pedal. It retails for $380 USD at Guitar Center. Studiologic have two higher-end versions which retail for $520 and $700, respectively, also at GC. (Search keywords 88 key controller keyboard, then compare the three Studiologic models, which all come in slightly under their M-Audio equivalents.)

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Ryszard #34575 08/31/09 09:45 AM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
BTW Guitar Center is going to have a sale labor day weekend.
Wyndham

Wyndham #34576 08/31/09 12:58 PM
Off-Topic
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
John, As a piano teacher who happily uses the SD2 for midi playback, I would not recommend a controller in your situation. The SD2's piano sound is just not a good as the multi-sample sounds in today's Roland, Yamaha, Kawai, Casio DP's. It sounds as though you want portability, so I'd recommend trying stage/slab pianos from those companies.

I recently bought a Kawai DP myself but it's a console so probably wouldn't meet your needs. For very good bang-for-buck, I'd say take a look at the new Casio's which are being released this week in the US and I assume Canada as well. The PX-130 will be around $500 USD and the PX-330 around $700 but stands and three-pedal attachments are extra. There are pros and cons to these. PM me if you and your wife want more info.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest the two of you do some reading at the Piano World Forum's DP thread.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...20&%20.html

susanmusic #34577 08/31/09 01:07 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
If I were in the market for a piano/do all keyboard, I would definitely look at the Yamaha Clavinova line. Yes, they tend to be heavier, up to 200 pounds or more, so it's not something you're going to throw in the back of the car. On the other hand, the feel and playability of a Clavinova is the same as the Yamaha Grand Pianos. It just FEELS right, it doesn't bounce around on a stand, and it's solid. You can really dig into the keys, and not worry about it falling over or breaking.

There are two lines, the CLP and the CVP. The CVP is what I like, because it's an overgrown Arranger Keyboard, and the sounds are just awesome. Furthermore, the newest ones, like the CVP 409, are now coming with MegaVoices and Super Articulation, just like the Tyros 3.

They are expensive, expect to pay $5,000US or higher for a top end model, but it's something you'll keep for a long time, and your wife will love it.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #34578 09/01/09 06:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Part of the problem is the thing needs to be portable. And I'd like to play it once in a while. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll know better about weight after the next bone scan. Until that comes back better no heavy weights, so I'm taking my calcium and supplements and doing light exercise.

We often play a piano at the venues, but it's often really high, and my wife likes to hide. Believe me, the guys would rather look at her than me.

The other angle is that the 'music' room does not have the accoustic piano in it. Moving stuff around is a pain. 6 months and we are going to start back at gigs together, with an eye to doing that in early retirement.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the casios a try but they used to be toys compared to Rolands, and the Korgs have always intrested me. Price is not a huge issue. There was a Yamaha with a choir function using a mic I like in demos, but have yet to see one in a store.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #34579 09/01/09 12:55 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John, I researched this extensively about 6 months ago with an eye toward finding a lighter fully weighted board and for my requirements there's nothing and I tried them all. Virtually every pro quality 88 key weighted keyboard is from 55 to about 75 pounds and big. Very awkward for us older folks to haul around. However, if your wife is focused on just piano then this could fill the bill
Casio PX-320 I agree with the comment that Casio's have always been basically toys but the new Privia series is pretty good. 88 weighted keys and it weighs about 30 pounds. It doesn't work for me because of lack of different sounds and no midi out so I can't control my Sonic Cell with it but it does have a USB connection so it could work for your wife. Since size and weight are important to you, I think this Casio is the only game in town unless someone has come out with something new in the last few months. Everything else by Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil etc that is fully weighted and 88 keys is big and heavy.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,253
Members38,547
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S
38,547 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181