#35026 09/03/09 08:03 AM
RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
I have in the process of developing a number of songs for a CD decided to use RealBand as the recording vehicle. When using Audio > Merge Wave and DXi Tracks to Stereo Wave, I get a message advising me to set up a DXi/VSTi plugin for the Midi Tracks. This is irrelevant to merging Wave tracks only which are highlighted and with the original Midi Tracks frozen. I expect that some users will want to mix both wave and midi at the the same time, but I do not and get irritated having to cancel the message everytime.

After the Mix has been finished, there is another message displayed, asking if I wished to hear it and if yes the wave is played via the Windows Media Player. Personally, I don't. I prefer to download the wave into RealBand to be able to study the actual wave form while listening to the mix. Why not add these as options in Preferences or perhaps add a box in the message boxes which can be ticked to stop future messages being displayed????

Lyn

LynB #35027 09/03/09 04:30 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lyn

As to your first point, whether or not you need MIDI, you still need to set the MIDI settings. Do it once and you can forget about it forever.

As to your second point, it makes total sense that when you state that you want to hear it that it should play back in something OUTSIDE RB so that you can hear what has actually been output. If it were to play back again in RB, you would not know whether it had actually output correctly or not. Makes sense.

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
WienSam #35028 09/03/09 08:35 PM
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I understand what LynB wants.

Sam -- Those of us who use hardware MIDI solutions don't like having to load that darn DXi just to Render or do a mixdown. And afterwards, we do have to set things back to hear our hardware synth once again. Lyn is likely using his new Ketron SD2 over there.

Tread carefully, Lyn is a super-user who has been at this game a long time and KNOWS.

--Mac

Mac #35029 09/04/09 07:31 AM
RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Sam,

I use Midi extensively having one external synth (Ketron SD2) and four internal synths linked (via Soundcard and VSampler). In addition, I use a number of DXi and VSTi for specific instruments. I convert all my Midi Tracks to Wave to enable audio processing to take place and only Merge Wave Tracks for the final Mixes. Consequently, the above messages are irritants and, if considered necessary for some users, would be better treated as Options.

Hi Mac,

Yes I am using the Ketron SD2 and am very pleased with the range of patches and quality. One issue is the way the Sound Module loses the Alternative Bank setting and decides to revert to the GM Bank patch on occasions. Typical Bank 2 Patch 99 = Clarinet (good sound) but reverts to Bank 0 Patch 99 Crystal sometimes when Play is stopped and restarted.

One excellent attribute is the splendid Drum patches which I find is better overall to other GM banks and to my BF Drums (quicker to set up too). My eldist son's day job is designing computer courses to train programmers to use the latest computer chip design software. Spare time, he is a sound engineer working with a number of live bands, choirs and even weddings. He has in the past disparaged my original Drum sets, mildly approved of BF Drums, enjoyed the RealDrums used in their context, but thought that the Ketron Midi Drums were the best he had heard to date.

Lyn

LynB #35030 09/04/09 07:38 AM
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

One issue is the way the Sound Module loses the Alternative Bank setting and decides to revert to the GM Bank patch on occasions. Typical Bank 2 Patch 99 = Clarinet (good sound) but reverts to Bank 0 Patch 99 Crystal sometimes when Play is stopped and restarted.

I would have to think that this would be a program problem and not one that is taking place inside the SD2 as it is a simple State Machine awaiting commands. If that bank is changing when you hit play, then the software is either not sending the bank change or perhaps at a wrong time or something like that. Check also to see if there isn't the bank change followed by the lingering original patch change command lurking in the Event List. If the SD2 is working, and it is in all other instances, then it really has nothing volatile like that inside it that would cause a change like this.

Quote:

but thought that the Ketron Midi Drums were the best he had heard to date.

Well, you know how subjective these things can be, but I also think that the SD2 has some pretty good drums in it.

--Mac

Mac #35031 09/04/09 07:12 PM
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Lyn, I bow to your superior knowledge. NOI. I was just trying to help.

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
WienSam #35032 09/06/09 03:09 AM
RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Hi Mac,

Glad to hear that it is probably a program setting somewhere. As regards to rogue Midi controllers, these are all removed at the start and no Patch changes are retained at the Event List level. I will continue to watch this funny and try a few other settings etc to try and resolve the problem.

Lyn

LynB #35033 09/06/09 05:58 AM
RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Something all SD2 owners should be made aware of (forgive if you already know this) -- Cycling the power on-off switch on the SD2 forces a hardware Reset in the device, which will clear any rogue commands sent to the unit and put things back to "square one" or ready to receive again.

This can be a powerful troubleshooting tool in some instances, for you can rather quickly find out if the program is sending *anything* to the device that you don't want sent.

Turn the SD2 OFF, then wait about a slow count to 5 before turning it back on again. This will always clear the State Machine and boot it up in GM mode again.

--Mac

Mac #35034 09/07/09 08:22 AM
RealBand
L
LynB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
L
Thanks Mac - a very useful process which I use frequently whenever in doubt.

Lyn.

LynB #35035 09/07/09 12:58 PM
RealBand
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Quote:

As regards to rogue Midi controllers, these are all removed at the start and no Patch changes are retained at the Event List level. I will continue to watch this funny and try a few other settings etc to try and resolve the problem.

I've found that the Midi Monitor will show events not evident in event lists. Patch track parameters sent when playing an .mgu, for example. Sure you know this, but FWIW.

-Ron

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,898
Posts738,606
Members38,612
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TwoHandsDown, reidmakesmusic, smokeybirdsept2679, Barry Thibault, jodanko
38,612 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 147