Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#35190 09/04/09 12:09 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Part one:
A lingering problem I've had for years with the midi soloist involves it not doing what I tell it to do. The majority of Biab songs I download from various sources have the melody playing on all choruses. If I click on the midi Soloist button the window opens. In the middle of that window is the area about when to solo. Under the heading "solo which choruses?" are three combo boxes. To the left of the first box is "First", I have it set as "No Solo", the second is "middle", it's set "Yes Solo" and the last is "No Solo". Below that is a line with a checkbox that says "mute melody in middle". Why does that never do anything? I can click those boxes all I want and the melody still plays. The only way to not have it play is to go back to the main screen, hit the melody button>edit melody>kill melody in middle choruses. That's the only way to get rid of the melody for the solos unless you manually mute it. Also, at least half the time when I open another song and create a midi soloist in spite of clicking the box - First "no solo" it plays anyway over the melody so either the melody is playing in the middle choruses or the solo is playing over the melody during the first chorus most of the time. What's the point of those boxes in the Solo window? I've "returned to factory settings" plenty of times and I'm using the latest build 2009.5. I don't use the soloists all that much and I've learned over the years different workarounds for this but it's been bugging me for a long time and thought I would finally ask about it. I've been going through some big directories I downloaded and experimenting with the soloists and this is happening pretty much with every song. Another thing is with the solo instruments. Quite often if the solo is playing in the wrong place or just doing something weird, clicking on the instrument or changing to a different one will fix it. There's been glitches in that solo window for a long time imho.

Part two:
The RT styles with soloists. Why do all the RT styles that have soloists as part of the style have the solo playing on the first chorus? When's the last time anybody starts soloing on the downbeat at a gig?? Most songs have melodies and the solo starts playing over it. I don't get this at all. Peter, Oliver, Miles and the rest are total pros. Nobody solos right from the start with very rare exceptions. Songs have heads and everybody plays the head first, right? I can see it for a demo song maybe but not embedded in the style. All it does is force me to immediately mute it when I'm auditioning styles. I have a few more lingering comments but this is enough for now.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Why does that never do anything?

Works somehow here without a hitch

Martin
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Are you talking about the checkbox next to the line "mute melody in the middle?" Martin? If so, then this is a real mystery to me because that has done nothing in I don't know, 30-50 tunes maybe that I have with melodies.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Just checked here for you and it works here also.

Quote:

Are you talking about the checkbox next to the line "mute melody in the middle?"

Yes. Be sure to specify the 1st, Middle and Last chorus parameters in the three dropdowns above it, though.

*Maybe you could try manually deleting those files that reset to factory, check the FAQs to find their names.

*As for the RealTracks Soloists, I think they know about this at development, but it is related to the reason we have to currently use the "Mute at Bar" command workaround for RealTracks rather than the automatic chorus selection routine that works with MIDI.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Are you talking about the checkbox next to the line "mute melody in the middle?" Martin?

Yes, Bob, just checked on all aspects within the area 'Solo Which Choruses?' in the 'Select Soloist' dialog, viz. First -> No solo, Middle -> Yes solo, Last -> No solo, activated checkbox 'Mute melody in middle'. Loading the demo file of ZZJAZZ.STY the song plays as expected. Checked even on a RealTracks soloist, which works as expected, too.

Martin
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
There are 2 settings for Mute Melody in Middle Choruses.

1. The one in the soloist dialog will mute it for that generation only, and will stop muting it the next time you generate the song (by pressing PLAY).
So if you generate a solo, it plays automatically, and the melody is muted. But if you press play again, the melody is not muted. That is intentional (because of availability of #2)

2. The other one is on the Melody menu. That will mute melody on all songs, until you turn it off.

There's also a dedicated menu item to ERASE the melody in middle choruses.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you, Peter. This explains it. I never caught on to the difference between the first play and the solo doing what I checked off in the soloist window and the second play. I jump around so much trying different things that I simply thought this was a random glitch. I just tried it with a few tunes and of course, you're correct. I admit I don't understand the thinking here because the soloist window is song specific while the "melody menu>mute melody during middle choruses" is global. If I have that box checked in the soloist window why doesn't it just do it every time? When I'm experimenting with the soloists, I'm opening and closing that soloist window multiple times and that checkbox is looking me right in the face. See the confusion here? It says "mute the melody in the middle chorus", yet it plays from the second time on. What does the melody menu have to do with it? Still, as long as I know what's happening, it's cool.

Bob

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, it makes sense as a convention to me.

What happens in the Soloist generation window stays there and is only for that one generation. Hitting Play button forces a regeneration. Makes sense.

I like the Melody Edit item, "Kill Melody in middle choruses" and also first the "Copy Melody to all choruses" because then I only have to record the head one time and thus place it on all choruses to get it on the last chorus, then kill the middle choruses for the soloing and then I save the song that way. From there one, it doesn't matter about the Soloist muting, so I prefer to work that way.

--Mac

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Well, it makes sense as a convention to me.

What happens in the Soloist generation window stays there and is only for that one generation. Hitting Play button forces a regeneration. Makes sense.

I like the Melody Edit item, "Kill Melody in middle choruses" and also first the "Copy Melody to all choruses" because then I only have to record the head one time and thus place it on all choruses to get it on the last chorus, then kill the middle choruses for the soloing and then I save the song that way. From there one, it doesn't matter about the Soloist muting, so I prefer to work that way.

--Mac

How does forcing a regeneration make sense when for that regeneration, the melody now starts playing over the solo when the first time it didn't?

Good tip about only entering the melody one time then using the "copy melody to all choruses".

Anyway, here's another one. I used the melody menu>mute melody in middle choruses. Works fine. The tune has 5 choruses, I changed it to 4. The window opens up saying "adjust melody to fit # of choruses?" I said yes, then the other window opens asking the same thing for the soloist. I said yes, play the tune. The soloist keeps playing on the 4th chorus. ???? The soloist window is still set to "no solo on the last chorus". Fwiw, I'm using the tune Oleo with the Monte trio style with the Monte piano midi soloist and the Clarke RD and bebop bass RT. That soloist is really good btw. I should solo that well.
It's easy to ignore this kind of thing because I normally use Real Band anyway and this is not an issue with all the cutting and pasting I like to do. It's very hot and muggy here in So Cal because of the hurricane off Mexico and I'm not going anywhere this weekend. I'm kinda bored and I don't have A/C (usually not needed) and I'm dyin' here. Yeah, I know poor baby.....please bear with with me, the weather is usually almost perfect around here and I'm a bit cranky Where's that beer...

Bob

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

How does forcing a regeneration make sense when for that regeneration, the melody now starts playing over the solo when the first time it didn't?

Well, the Soloist dialog is for generating solos. So opening it again or even regenerating the song again is a new instance. I guess the stuff in the Soloist dialog was meant for trying out soloists until you got something usable?

At any rate, there are other things that regenerate when you hit Play without doing a Save or Save with Patches and Harmony first, too. Without doing the Save routine properly, the songfile has no way of knowing what to reload on regeneration. It therefore reverts back to whatever is in the file in the first place.

--Mac

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Mac - I am late in getting in on this-but I cannot get my soloist file to display in the lead sheet window. will show up in th notation window. this has just happened in a month or so since I have used the file. suggestions please

Expert
Expert
Might it not be easier to use one chorus and then use CUSTOM to select the bars for your solo and then use REPLAY or FROM to hear what you just did - if you don't like it then go to EDIT|UNDO (in this case) SOLOIST, or EDIT ERASE from...To and knock out the Soloist Part you just generated. That would avoid hitting PLAY and regenerating the whole shebang.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Mac - I am late in getting in on this-but I cannot get my soloist file to display in the lead sheet window. will show up in th notation window. this has just happened in a month or so since I have used the file. suggestions please

Whenever BIAB stops doing something that it was doing before, I first reboot the machine and if it still isn't doing it then I try Opts -> Return to Factory Settings.

--Mac

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Mac I did what you said to no avail-I am not getting the soloist lead sheet, only the notation window. I followed the displays for the entries into the soloist file. there is a custom item I can mark and get that one to work as it has a small menu to complete. I am somewhat confused.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
**I this a RealTrack?

**If it is a RealTrack, is its green trackname underscored at the top?

**Can you see notation on the Notation Window at bottom but it does not appear in LeadSheet view? if that is the case, have you clicked on the right letter at the top to display Soloist and not Strings or some other track?

--Mac

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
I am using styles 66 Alan, though I did try with real tracks, liked the steel, but still only in the notation window. I have had biab for several years, no problem til I updated to 2009 .5, was wondering if something changed I didn't catch? I give up. I also checked with office
to no avail. maybe I should re-download program. do get some funny things.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You should see the notation in the notation and the leadsheet window. I just tried it with 2009.5, and it appears to be working fine. Make sure that you have clicked the "S" button at the top of the notation window, which is the for the Soloist track.

If still not showing, press the OPTIONS button the leadsheet window, and click return to Default, maybe you've got a strange setting like only show bass clef.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Looking at this again in an attempt to help maxbear solve the problem, I just discovered that the Lead Sheet Soloist view won't show notation for Soloist here if I have "Fake Sheet Mode" checked.

MIDI soloist, can view the notation in Notation View, I switch to Lead Sheet View and no notes on staff.

I unchecked "Fake Sheet Mode" and the notes appear.

This is reproducible here, and it must be a BUG.

--Mac

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M

Max, you are brilliant- you are correct-unchecking fake sheet mode does the trick. I bet I spent the better part of 3 days on sthis stupid thing-thanks again. I can get my trumpet out again.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's amazing, isn't it? Sometimes people complain that the program is too complex but all of these options really do have a purpose, it just takes time to learn them.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,713
Posts736,351
Members38,552
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BabzColl, bluejaffa, SLM, Ricki Susic, kcowmusic
38,552 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181
rsdean 113
DC Ron 111
Noel96 81
dcuny 76
WaoBand 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.