Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi all.
BIAB and Realband = great programs. Use them every day; have made a lot of music with them.

I have to say, however, as a not-terribly tech savvy musician I do find, at times, PG Music's approach to releases bordering on the amateur.

So, now I have a 64 bit version of BIAB but only a 32 bit version of Realband.

If I want to run the 64 bit version I have to hunt around for the exe file and set up my own shortcut on the desktop.

I flash the cash for the new realtracks and extra styles but find some of them don't have audition files yet.

And, most confusingly to me, while everyone goes wow the 64 bit BIAB can load 64 bit VSTs, there don't appear to be any version of the BIAB Native Plugin FX available to the 64 bit version.

I've only tried the VST BIAB plugin once, so far, in Reaper. On the face of it is sounds great but the operation - particularly how multiriffs are approached - feels enormously clumsy.

BIAB is like a terrible aunt who you love despite her being a total social nightmare.

I love it and hate it in equal proportions!!

Rant over

Bestest all

Phil

Veteran
Veteran
I hear you, Phil. But this is all new and they clearly wanted to get it out in time for Christmas. I know they will continue working the issues over the next month, so patience is in order.

FWIW, you can still run 2018 alongside 2019, if you wish, so you don't lose anything. But by having 2019 installed, all you have to do is apply the patch updates as they come.

The native PGMusic FX are all DX effects and actually haven't been updated in about a decade. But, I understand that they are looking them to modify and recompile as 64-bit plugins, so we should see them; we just don't have them now. Of course (and I know this doesn't help), most of the world has moved away from DX/DXi in favor of VST/VSTi, and even that is evolving as things are moving away from VST2 in favor of VST3. Nothing stays still, does it?

I also understand that we will hopefully get a new 64-bit Coyote synth (both the WT and the Forte), which you may or may not use.

I've found my BIAB 64-bit works nicely with my 64-bit Cakewalk TTS-1 synth (which you can get for free by installing Cakewalk by BandLab, which also gives you the DAW too).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
BIAB is like a terrible aunt who you love despite her being a total social nightmare.

I love it and hate it in equal proportions!!

Thanks !! I had a good laugh, still laughing as I'm typing, it's true.
But yeah, I can see it was a big year of change, a Quantum Leap !!! and yes getting it out there was the priority and a lot of things still need doing that would of been done if there was not such a big change. As Johns says it should all be done soon.
I usually give them a hard time and gave a lot of nagging for 64 bit and a VST, so with this release I'm very proud of the Quantum Leap they have achieved and the new website to go with it.
Buy yes lets get them fixes happening and that VST working like gold.
In all the years from RealTracks till now I think this is the best and biggest.

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Everything you say is right. I know I'm just having a whine. Over the years BIAB and Realband have become my most useful tools for putting together show music at low cost for small theatre companies - and I do treasure them.

But every year PGMusic drive me nuts with an enormous fanfare at release time, making claims of exciting developments some of which take a full year of support updates to try and achieve.

Because they make such useful tools I'm in for the long haul with PG Music, but it can truly be an annoying ride sometime.

Ah well, my wife's new car is being delivered today. I'm looking forward to telling her that the wheels should be available soon when the company get round to releasing support upgrade 691e.

Kind regards to everyone!

Phil

Veteran
Veteran
Great info here by Jford. Phil, keep in mind that you can open a song with either the 32 or 64-bit version, and even alternate if you wish. At some point PG Music will either update those effects for 64-bit, or perhaps even come up with something better we didn’t expect.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Phil Babylon
..... Ah well, my wife's new car is being delivered today. I'm looking forward to telling her that the wheels should be available soon when the company get round to releasing support upgrade 691e. Phil

Its the same with Steinberg usually, and Toontrack ... only the wheels come around the bend a lot faster when you drive a PG, sometimes even a personally adapted spare, even still square, wheel is sent in advance .. F

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
They need to have a gap year, where all they are doing is FIXING things for the whole year. I'm just trying to create some UserTracks at the moment but still so many problems, I remember now why I gave up on UserTracks and they were released in 2014.

Band-in-a-Box® with RealBand 2020 for Windows is here!

500 exciting new fixes !
All things working how they should !
No time spent on new features, ignoring the existing problems !
We spent the whole year playing catch up doing nothing but
fixes, YES the whole year !

Veteran
Veteran
Pipeline, You got to be fair.
Considering and comparing features of past updates, this one is huge as an elephant. I initially lost the hope for serious change from PGmusic except for new RTs and minor fixes. This update proved me wrong. I am sure this release will have a hefty load of bugs, but at least now I can see where it is heading and the dark scary unknown became a much friendlier place.... at least to me smile

Best regards,
Misha.

C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
They need to have a gap year, where all they are doing is FIXING things for the whole year. I'm just trying to create some UserTracks at the moment but still so many problems, I remember now why I gave up on UserTracks and they were released in 2014.

Band-in-a-Box® with RealBand 2020 for Windows is here!

500 exciting new fixes !
All things working how they should !
No time spent on new features, ignoring the existing problems !
We spent the whole year playing catch up doing nothing but
fixes, YES the whole year !

Absolutely.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes, that's what I said in my previous post, it's a Quantum Leap, the best release since RealTracks, the happiest I've been, but now a year fixing things is needed to get it all working like it's color, GOLD.

Journeyman
Journeyman
If they have a year of just fixing everything so it is perfect are we all happy to pay for it though? They do need some income to support the whole operation.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes 200 more RealTracks with only a few cosmetic changes to the software.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,705
Posts736,255
Members38,548
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
guylamar2006, John Hunt, Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S
38,547 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181