Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
Masi Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
If I filter for RealDrums with notation and generate tracks only a few of them actually contain MIDI data.

Please fix this ASAP. The real charts for "nearly all" drums has been touted as new feature for 2020. This and the improved plugin (marketing) have been convinced me to buy the upgrade.

The plugin is buggy and the real charts are broken. mad

Masi

Band-in-a-Box, BiaB-plugin, Reaper, Win10 64bit, i7-8565U, 24GB RAM (always latest versions)
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Masi,

Can you give me an example of a Realdrum that should have notation but does not so that I can test it?

I've been using Realdrums notation with EZ Drummer for a few of my most recent songs and I've not a problem with it.

Out of curiosity, are you using the Realdrums on the Drum track or one of the other tracks?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Hi Noel, SurfRockDoubleTwo^01 or most in that area are examples if you pull them into Drag and Drop won’t work in an understandable way. It comes out as rubbish.

If you export the MIDI you’ll get Kick, Snare and Hi Hat but no fills.

That is just one example and on my machine but there are other ways out by going to a different area Say NashvilleEven8 I got something that suited my part. I got to this using QuickList replacement.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 02/23/20 05:46 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
M
Masi Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Actually I don't even get the charts within the notation window of BiaB itselfs for study.

Masi

Band-in-a-Box, BiaB-plugin, Reaper, Win10 64bit, i7-8565U, 24GB RAM (always latest versions)
Expert
Expert
Got the same results with the surf drums you listed. Haven't tested this widely, but have had mixed results with getting the RealDrums to translate into something similar in MIDI drums.

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Actually I don't even get the charts within the notation window of BiaB itselfs for study.

SurfRockDoubleTwo^01 looks accurate to me on the Drums track in Band-in-a-Box. Can you describe the problem you're seeing in more detail?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Andrew, THANK YOU for the quick reply. Am not the OP, but...yes, the chart LOOKS correct for me, too. And BiaB's visual drum kit even plays along with the RealDrums correctly. But the MIDI track dragged into the drop zone doesn't produce anything like that when applied to the EZDrummer 2 drum kit in my Studio One DAW.

For me, I'm looking for more control over the drum track than RealDrums provides. So this would be cool if I could figure out how to make it work...

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
Expert
Expert
Andrew, the issue is when you drag and drop the MIDI it comes out rubbish. If you export the MIDI you get a similar result to the notes displayed but no fills.

Tony

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It works if the MIDI file is opened in RealBand... I think the main issue is that the saved drum notes have a zero duration. Also they seem to be on channel 1 by default. If you change the duration of the notes and set them to channel 10, does the track then play how you expect in your DAW?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Hi Andrew, unfortunately I don't have RealBand set up too well and have no drum VST set in it. When I pull the drag and drop into a DAW (in this case Cakewalk) the file is setup for Channel 1 as you say but that is not an issue Addictive Drums can see channel 1. The file is still an issue if I change the notes to channel 10.

The velocity for most notes is between 5 and 10 or so. The note length can be anything up to the length of the entire song. A Drum hit for 20 plus quarter beats is a bit much me thinks. But a cymbal for over 400 beats is over the top.

Setting the velocity to something better and the length to realistic figures is still rubbish with double hits or none at all. Basically nonsensical rubbish.

I hope to have attached a couple of shots showing what I mean.

Edit: I did manage to get the file to go to Addictive Drums in a RealBand but it was nothing like what the RealDrums were. In fact different hits altogether and all over the shop. I guess if you hit random enough you will get some hits on time.

As I said I found a way around by going to a different RealDrum style.

Tony

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Drum beat.JPG (159.17 KB, 192 downloads)
ride Cymbal.JPG (64.86 KB, 190 downloads)
Last edited by Teunis; 02/26/20 09:28 PM.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
Actually I don't even get the charts within the notation window of BIAB

Just to address the original poster's issue, it doesn't seem like you have the drum notation files at all. I would suggest that you look in one of the Drum folders like SurfRockDoubleTwo^ and see if you actually see an .SGU file in there. If not, that would explain why you don't see the drum notation. I would expect the Band-in-a-Box patch to fix that issue, as long as you select your correct Drums folder in the installer. Also, I see that there may be a bug with Drum notation not appearing in saved frozen tracks, and perhaps this is what the problem is.

Quote:
Basically nonsensical rubbish.

Now let's talk about this issue, since so far I cannot duplicate this situation. I'll explain one test I did, and maybe you could do the same and see if your results are the same...

1. Loaded _HANGTEN and created a 12 bar song, which has part markers (so, drums fills) every 4 bars, plus an ending. The .MGU is in this zip if interested:

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/dn/_HANGTEN_drumnotation_test.zip

2. Rendered this song to audio. Here is the audio file:

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/dn/_HANGTEN_BIAB.m4a

And with ONLY drums:

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/dn/_HANGTEN_BIAB_drums_only.m4a

3. Dragged Drums track to .MID section of drop station. Opened RealBand, dragged from .MID to the Tracks window.

Taking a look at the event list I notice a couple of things - one is that the individual notes should ideally all be on channel 10. I addressed this by selecting the track (ctrl+A), and going to the Edit menu | MIDI | Rechannel...

Also, the velocities of the notes were saved correctly from Band-in-a-Box, however they tend to be relatively quiet. I fixed this by Edit | MIDI | Change Velocities (increased by a couple hundred percent).

Durations of most drum notes is zero (although for some reason there are some that have a non-zero length). Drum note duration is a little different to think about than with other instruments. If you have a drum hit that has a note off a few milliseconds after the note on, you should still hear the hit fully. The duration is more like the length of time the drum stick is in contact with the drum. Maybe there are some differences in how DAWs interpret this. In any case, just for consistency, I edited the note durations in the event list so that they were all 0.

The resulting RealBand .SEQ file is in the zip above, as well as the edited MIDI file, and raw un-edited MIDI track.

4. Rendered this MIDI track to audio, played using the CoyoteWT DXi synth. Here is the result:

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/dn/_Hangten_RB_drums_only_edited_render_MIDI_CoyoteWT.wma

To me, the MIDI notes look to be correct, and sound correct (though still a bit too quiet), but apparently there is some situation that people have encountered where this isn't the case, and I would be interested to know what it is...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
Masi Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Quote:
Actually I don't even get the charts within the notation window of BIAB

Just to address the original poster's issue, it doesn't seem like you have the drum notation files at all. I would suggest that you look in one of the Drum folders like SurfRockDoubleTwo^ and see if you actually see an .SGU file in there.

I find .MGUs, bu not .SGUs, but that doesn't sem to make a difference.

I would expect the Band-in-a-Box patch to fix that issue, as long as you select your correct Drums folder in the installer.

Which patch?

I have made a fresh install and checking alphabetically I miss notations for ethese drums:

BluesRock128^
BluesShuffleHard^
BossaBrushes^
BossaRock^
BossaRockPerc^

And probably many to follow.

Masi

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I find .MGUs, bu not .SGUs, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Which patch?
I have made a fresh install and checking alphabetically I miss notations for these drums:
BluesRock128^

Right it is .MGU's you should see actually.

Any Band-in-a-Box 2020 patch.
So you have the .MGU's, and when you select BluesRock128, the Drums track in the notation window is... just blank? Does it not look something like this?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Masi

Masi
Just checking if this means what I think it might: did you install the program to your boot drive? If you did not, and you are just running off the PG Music USB drive, you don't have the seven PG Music fonts you need (and a few other files). Run the installer and do the mimimum install.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Good point... Masi do you mean you have NO notation at all, even for MIDI tracks?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
Masi Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
Any Band-in-a-Box 2020 patch.

I made a fresh install. Not sure if you call this also a patch. See screenshot one for the list of files have installed on my machine.

So you have the .MGU's,

No, I don't.

and when you select BluesRock128, the Drums track in the notation window is... just blank? Does it not look something like this?

No, just a blank score.

Masi

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
my-bb-install-files.png (13.6 KB, 92 downloads)
BluesRock128-folder.png (8.71 KB, 92 downloads)
empty-drum-score.png (28.74 KB, 92 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Returning to my last point, are you able to see music notes in the Notation View or Editable Notation View?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
So the problem now is clearly that you are missing the .MGU files for some reason.

1. Please download this updated patch and see if it fixes that.
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2020_win_update_build714.exe

2. When you run the patch, make sure that you are selecting the correct Drums folder location. It needs to be the location that you took a screenshot of in your last post. I'm not sure if you are using a custom location for Drums.

Please report back and let us know.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 03/06/20 09:32 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
M
Masi Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
M
The MGU files have appeared now. Hooray!

As I have already downloaded a patch with build 714 (see screenshot above!) I wondered what made the difference.

A quick glance tells me that the file size is not the same. My old file has 236.886KB while the new one is larger: 241.939KB.

Maybe you could add version numbers or simply dates to the file name if the build number of the program is not the only factor that determines the contents of the patch file.

Masi

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,727
Posts736,572
Members38,556
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Rogee, John Dharmawan, hughesai, BabzColl, bluejaffa
38,555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189