Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi,

To tell the truth I got BIAB on floppy disk the first time and it has been so long ago I can't remember why I got it.

Over the last ten years I have almost stopped playing live for many reasons, not the least has been old age and health.

In retirement I have had the time to get involved learning to use "home studio stuff". BIAB fit right into that program.

The longer I use BIAB the more it becomes a learning tool on several levels.

If you live past seventy there are certain things that I assume happen to most everyone. Most noticeable is that most of your friends and band mates die. Also things you loved to do are no longer possible, like flying my airplane and running my boat. Music is what I have left that I seriously like.

In many ways BIAB has been something of a replacement for the people I have played with who are no longer with us. Of course it does not replace anyone but at least is something to play with.

I have younger friends and play in their bands from time to time but it is and never will be the same. There is no way to truly recapture the past with 99.999% of the younger people. My history is just not relevant to them any more than I really understand why they like the things that have been popular in the last few years.

I sometimes wonder if living my life vicariously through a computer really makes any sense...lol

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
i bought BIAB on floppies to create backing tracks for a duo i played in. all midi in those days and the freebie with BIAB was PowerTracks. can't remember how i got on to BIAB but i think it was the music store in london who originally mentioned i could download backing tracks from the internet or 'there's band in a box and you can choose who is in your band.' which wasn't quite accurate but got me interested. all the styles were built in and i remember buying floppies with new midi styles from PG over the internet.

in fact when we played live we used PT DOS version to play the type O files on a laptop connected to a roland sc7 through a serial port.

funny in those days how much we used to have to know about pcs etc - eventually transferring to Windows 95 and having special versions of config.sys and autoexec.bat for different tasks like music and playing games. none of which i can remember and couldn't do these days.

but some of the basic lessons - rough out in BIAB and finalise in PT (now RB) taught me things that people coming to BIAB these days have missed out on and have great difficulty doing something which is quite simple.

and like you i can't sail my boat any more. parkinson's disease means i would probably fall overboard. it also means my guitar playing is getting severely limited and pc music more the norm for home consumption. playing out no longer happens.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I bought it to use as backup for practicing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the Parkinson issue. I spent a year going through all sort of test because I had "Parkinson like symptoms". At the end of all that the Dr. said "I don't know what is wrong with you".He told me that that I did not have Parkinson but I may have something related and if I did it would be fatal and not treatable. Well...I did not die, so who knows...lol

I still go out in my boat sometimes on calm days but not alone and wear a auto inflatable life jacket.

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice question. I haven't see this asked in many years.

I play almost all wind instruments but no rhythm instruments, so I needed something to generate chords and rhythms to compose and arrange music. I had been using the little Yamaha sequencers including the QY-10, and although they were incredible at the time, they were limited in variations. I went into Sam Ash in New York City to ask if there were newer models, and they steered me to a software approach, BIAB. This was back in, I think, 1993.

Many here on the forum do not know that there was an earlier BIAB forum that ceased in summer 2000 when new forum software was installed. All the early posts, and post counts, were lost. Some of us have been here a long time...

When I'm in the nursing home someday, all I will need is a laptop, headphones, and BIAB.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I got it mainly because I am a misanthrope. I don't want people coming into my house for ANY reason. Real Band (what I prefer) gives me quality players who are available to do tracks whenever I feel like working, with no schedules to coordinate. The "players" play very well, do more takes if I want them, never complain about it, never show up drunk, and are always on time. And I only had to pay them once. My CD was 90% tracks and 10% me. I have done a few songwriter showcases and got nothing but compliments about my "backing band".

I like computers (and dogs) SO much more than people. Covid quarantine has actually been quite enjoyable for me. I order stuff, people bring it to me in a day or two. Once I retired from work, I retired from people too.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Way back when BiaB was available for PC (DOS only), Motorola Mac and Atari computers on floppy disks I bought a copy to practice improvisation on my saxophone with.

To practice improv I had been using recordings, but this gave me the ability to play virtually song I wanted, and try out ideas without embarrassing myself in front of other band members.

Later on when BiaB started allowing end users to make styles I tried my hand at it. I made about a dozen and gave them to my friends. My friends told me they liked them better than the BiaB built in styles (aren't friends great?).

I wrote a few more, took out an ad in Electronics Musician and sold a few. One day Peter Gannon called and offered to convert the Atari formatted styles to PC (it was called IBM format back then). Before long I had a side business selling styles and I am still writing style e-disks and fake e-disks today.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Matt,

It has been obvious to me from the start that you have been around here for a good little while. The 20K plus post sort of give it away. lol How you do dat??

I think needing some instrument that you don't play is most likely a pretty common reason for buying BIAB. I only know a few musicians who can play drums, guitar, bass and keys must less play brass and woodwind. I was kinda hoping I would fall overboard while being on my boat alone before I was required to go to a nursing home. Look at all the money my wife would save if I drowned fifty miles off shore...lol

Hi Eddie,

I guess I like most people or a least tolerate them . lol I do like some dogs better than some people I have met. Animals in general trust me more than humans. Dogs and cows like me for some unknown reason. Birds have landed on my head or shoulder many times, especially on my boat.

I wonder how many people buy BIAB who do not play any musical instrument.

Seize the moo-ment
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Due to terrible timing, I could not find anyone who would play along with me.

BIAB bands don't complain about timing and eventually I did get better.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
like Matt i remember the old forums and the willingness to help was the same. and we're all growing older with PG Music!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
like Matt i remember the old forums and the willingness to help was the same. and we're all growing older with PG Music!

Huh? Would speak a little louder so I can hear ya grin grin grin

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I first bought BiaB on a floppy for my Atari computer and to be honest I didn't like it. IIRC I thought the styles were too stiff. There were not many styles back then. So I stayed with Dr T's sequencer and did my own MIDI stuff.

After our wedding band called it quits I still wanted to keep playing, but not in another band. I wanted to play what I wanted when I wanted. I tried BiaB again and have been with it for many years now.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
I thought BiaB might save me time.

I had been doing mostly MIDI arrangements of my tunes since the advent of MIDI.

I got the MegaPAK in 1999, I think. Along with GigaSampler (the forerunner of the now-defunct GigaStudio) I was able
to construct arrangements at relative light speed.

I totally underestimated how BiaB would impact my musical (creative) life.

Biggest surprise:

"How easily I could get (had gotten) into a rut."

Typically, I'd begin with the way I originally imagined the tune / song and try to match it with BiaB. (I still do that.)
My breakthrough came one day when I wasn't completely satisfied with the results, and listened to what I had come up with through all the styles, even sometimes with different time signatures.

I was amazed at some of the results (most sounded terrible).

What resulted was a creative explosion for me.

Today, over 20 years later, I still regard

1. GigaStudio 4
and
2. BiaB

as the two greatest pieces of music software I've ever purchased (I started in the 1980's.)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
First time I tried BIAB 10+ years ago, in hope to find a continuation of my Yamaha QY100 sequencer/arranger, which was an excellent piece of hardware 20 years ago. I tried it for an hour and uninstalled it.

Couple of years ago I decided to give it another shot, and got frustrated again. GUI scared me to death! I could not understand, why software so creative has this outdated design. I was about to close the door on BIAB but couple of senior members convinced me to be more open minded. In a couple of months I realized that this will be my main to-go software for music inspiration.

Before I moved to college I played with couple of bands, but it was never my intention to perform for crowds. I enjoy making songs for the joy of creating, not aiming for perfection. My thinking is, you can always expand on quality if you have good "bones". I was pleasantly surprised to find that many members here are also putting the concept of idea, composition and arrangement in front of judgement of production quality.

To draw the line. With very limited time I have for my music hobby, BIAB allows me to experiment with different styles on the fly, without sacrificing the quality. To be able to make those wonderful musicians play what I want them to play, without hating me for it.

Plus, forum members, that for the most part are wonderful people and musicians that will try to help and explain things without poisonous sarcasm. (*sarcasm can be good if applied in homeopathic dosages, like cyanide in B12 vitamins)

P.S. I do think I am lucky in the way to jump on the wagon at the time I did. I do see major improvements being made in relatively short period of time I was around. Hoping there is more BIG ones to come in the next year or two smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I first learned about being able to buy and download midi backing tracks I went laughing and kicking down the road. That must have been in about 1996. I didn’t even have a computer or access to the internet. Had to go over to a neighbor and sit there to find and download.

I used to copy these onto a stiffy disk and play them on my Yamaha keyboard.

In 1999 I had an pocket sized external sound module thingy, with a keyboard, sounds and styles ( it was made by Roland and I called it “Phillip”). I took it with me when I sailed from cape to rio and spent hours in my bunk exploring the possibilities of computer generated accompaniment.

From 2001 till 2010 I took a break from music completely and then in 2010 I took some vocal lessons... that lead me to a duo... which lead me to song writing and recording... which in 2011 lead me to Biab.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad it did. Keep on doing what you're doing.

You're making music much more accessible to a ton of people.

It helps all of us who enjoy playing music by having listeners who can better appreciate what they're hearing.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I had decided to record my songs and I wanted to do it myself. This was about ten years ago. I had dabbled with Audacity and then bought Sonar. I thought the bundled vst instruments were what I needed to add drums and bass to the guitar and vocal tracks I'd record myself. I guess they were, but I wasn't interested in learning midi.

Then I heard some of the productions Guitarhacker posted in the Cakewalk Sonar forums. They were wonderful. He recommended I check out BIAB and he went on to explain how he used Real Tracks in his original songs. I was sold. Thank you, Herb!

I posted 'One of Those Days' to the Showcase in December, 2013.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
<...snip...>So I stayed with Dr T's sequencer and did my own MIDI stuff.<...>

I used Master Tracks Pro on my Atari, which got ported to Mac and when Microsoft went with windows 3.1 I jumped on it there as well.

I still use MTPro for doing pure MIDI sequence work. Unfortunately it's been abandoned and there will be no more updates. It's still very powerful, has a nice set of tools, and there is no Audio to complicate the menus so my work gets done much quicker than it does with Cakewalk, or Power Tracks Pro Audio (two other fine tools when I need audio as well).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
For many years I would create my own midi tracks for the odd bit of music for myself and my ex. All my live playing was done with fellow musicians. We rarely used other types of tracks although I did put some MIDI songs into a keyboard I had. I did know some guys that spoke of BIAB and I had seen it a number of years ago but it was not for me.

After retiring about 6 years ago my wife and I moved from Tasmania up to a retirement village on the Gold Coast. Not long after I arrived here folks asked if I would do some songs for them. I needed some backing tracks pronto and got BIAB Pro. Then in a short time discovered RealTracks and have been creating backing tracks ever since until March this year (I did my last show and everything shut down).

Lately I’m back to playing with MIDI and have spent a small fortune on things such as Kontakt and VSL Synchron Orchestra stuff. But BIAB is still there generating bits I want albeit with an increased use of MIDI. I do this mainly to maintain some form of sanity in this new age of shut downs and to see how far I can push it for myself.

Thanks to PG, BIAB and the Forum Folk.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Back about 20 years ago I purchased a Roland keyboard and figured out that I could create some pretty good backing tracks to back my guitar playing using it's accompaniment styles. As I began to get more gigs I wanted to improve the quality and flexibility of the back-ups and purchased my first version of BIAB from Bob "Notes" Norton. I've been gigging with BIAB ever since (although I'm on hold at this time due to Covid-19). Due to the variety of styles that BIAB offers, I've been able to play in several different genres without having to hire a new band each time. Although I haven't gotten rich, the money I've made has more than paid for the yearly upgrades.

Thanks Peter and BIAB!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,416
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 97
dcuny 89
rsdean 72
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.