Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47558 12/08/09 11:33 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'm trying to decide whether to get my 2010 upgrade on DVD or USB HD. I'm tempted to get the USB HD but I'm not sure how best to back up such a large amount of data. I only have one USB port available so I can't connect 2 USB drives at the same time. I do have a 250 GB LAN drive but the connection via wireless is pretty slow for doing backups of this size.

The thing is, with DVD's I don't have to worry if something goes south since I can just reload from disc. If the USB HD goes south I'd be out of luck.

So how do you guys protect your purchase on USB HD?

Any other good reasons to choose the HD version?

Thanks in advance.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
*Pick up a USB hub expander, they don't cost much.

You should select one that has its own Power supply, though, in order to run the drives.

Use another USB drive to make a backup.

If your machine has internal SATA drive connects, the drives PGMusic have sent me have all been SATA on the inside, but the connect is laptop SATA, you would need a powered adaptor to connect directly to desktop internal or external SATA. I'd go with USB hub for the sake of simplicity anyway. Anyone with only one USB port certainly needs a USB hub.

DVD is very slow.

But it can be of advantage to those who live in countries that charge big TAX on "computer hardware".

--Mac

F
Journeyman
Journeyman
F
Maybe seems a bit obvious but here goes ... why not copy the data from your new USB drive to C:\BB and use BIAB from there? Your new USB drive then IS the backup and can be safely put in the drawer out of harm's way. Even with Vista, it would take only a few hours to copy this much data from a USB drive to an internal hard disk...

Brian

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the idea. I should have mentioned that I don't have enough HD space for BiaB AND the RealTrack/Drums. The way I have set things up is to have BiaB on my HD and RT/D on a LAN drive. There's enough space on the LAN drive but it is really really slow to copy over the wireless.

Thanks anyway. I decided to go with the DVD's for now.

BiaB 2013 b366, RB 2013 b4, WinXP Pro SP3, Toshiba M70, 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 100GB HD. Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Ketron SD2.BiaB Wiki
Veteran
Veteran
I do what Fifer does except when I get a new one like I just erase the old one and use it as a normal backup drive. When I get 2010 160g drive I'll erase the 2009.5 drive. Then Ive got a spare 80g & 160g drive to store songs on.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, HD is the way to go, for the UltraPlus or Everything Pak.

In fact, we're going to remove the DVD option, from the online oredering anyway. If someone "really" wants to oder the DVD version, it can still be done by phone, where the sales staff can verify that the customer would prefer getting 20 DVD's, and installing them one by one, compared to a HD option that is pre-installed, for the same price.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Journeyman
Journeyman
wow - 20 DVDs!!!

K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I have never used a USB hard drive before so please bear with me. Is USB really fast enough for multitracking MIDI and wav files? I suppose they must work fine or people wouldn't buy them.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I have never used a USB hard drive before so please bear with me. Is USB really fast enough for multitracking MIDI and wav files? I suppose they must work fine or people wouldn't buy them.

Plenty of fast, in my experience anyway.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Journeyman
Journeyman
most users will not exceed the bandwidth of USB. just don't use a USB hub unless it's a powered hub and you'll likely not even notice a difference between internal and external USB hard drives.

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Personally I prefer the DVDs still. I just like having them in case something goes wrong. I guess its just a matter of getting confident with a new media type.

The other thing is the time required to back up the data, copy my 3rd party styles to the new drive and get all my personal settings copied will take much longer than simply installing the programs and the 3 new RT sets.

I have had problems in the past that required reinstalling a program or a RT/D set. If that happened with the HD version I'd have to restore everything back to the HD which would take a lot longer.

Perhaps you could sell a version with the HD and DVD backups? You could require entering the SN from the HD as proof of legitimate ownership before using the DVDs. If this were offered I would be happy to pay media and duplication costs above the standadrd price.

Veteran
Veteran
I was considering the DVD's as well ... but 20 ??? I don't think so! LOL!

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Unless your a first time buyer you only need to install 4 discs. The program disc puts BiaB and RB on your HD and three discs install the new RT/D. I have to admit though, 20 discs would be a pain for a first time install.

Veteran
Veteran
Well, 4 is not bad ... I'd be upgrading from 2009.5 ... so ... but, I read that they will take that option away and you must call customer service to arrange for DVD's. Be nice to have an extra backup like that. I have 2009.5 on the USB drive, on my C drive (where I run it from) and another copy (downloads) on a 1TB drive ... talk about backup??? LOL

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have a 250GB LAN drive for backup but it's accessed over a wireless connection making it too slow to handle BiaB and all the RT/D. It would take around 24 hours to copy everything and I'm not confident it'd even get through everything without any errors.

The LAN drive can also be connected via USB which is faster but still around 4 hours. Compared to installing 4 DVDs it's still too long. Even if I had to install all 20 it wouldn't take much more than that. Not to mention that I don't have to install everything in order to use BiaB again.

I guess I still prefer the DVDs. When PGM stops selling the DVDs I'll have to bite the bullet.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Perso

The other thing is the time required to back up the data, copy my 3rd party styles to the new drive and get all my personal settings copied will take much longer than simply installing the programs and the 3 new RT sets.

?

Copmpared to DVDs, copying hard drive-to-hard-drive, even with USB in between, is like lightning...

--Mac

K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
Thanks guys, I figured it would be OK but I just wanted to hear from those who have used it.

I just placed my order for the UltraPak USB upgrade from MegaPak 2009.5 DVDs.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
pwarren Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

?

Copmpared to DVDs, copying hard drive-to-hard-drive, even with USB in between, is like lightning...

--Mac

I wasn't refering to the actual copy speed rather the time to plan and research what files to move and checking each stage to be sure it's correct. I don't have all the steps memorized.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I wasn't refering to the actual copy speed rather the time to plan and research what files to move and checking each stage to be sure it's correct. I don't have all the steps memorized.

The hard drive comes with its own Installer program. Use that and follow the prompts, it is much easier than doing that DVD by DVD.

I think you are just looking for reasons to convince yourself on this issue.

The USB drive solution is really a far, far better deal all around.

--Mac

J
J
Mac, maybe this is self evident, but if the USB drive includes the programs, all tracks, styles, etc., then I simply copy my songs to the BB folder of the USB drive to become completely upgraded. Songs of the same name are overwritten and others are added incrementally. Some initial setup and a new shortcut and that's it? The program will look to the USB drive for songs, styles, and styles automatically? This is too easy. There must be some trap somewhere I haven't thought of.
Joe

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,546
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173