Print Thread
Go To
#49192 12/13/09 10:09 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
dfaris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
For starters, I just got biab and i have never dabbled in home recording. Well, I had a 4 channel cassette recorder 15 years ago that I mixed some stuff up, but thats about it.
I play guitar, Im just getting back into it as I have not played it for around 15 years ago. (marrige,kids, career,etc)

I have a few guitars but my main is a fender strat that I run thru a digitech pedal processor for tones.
Thats about it.

1.What equipment do you guys recommend I need to develope good music? What equipment do you guys use?
----
I noticed in biab that when I do a chord progression sometimes the chord changes are not clean.

2.I have setup biab to vsc dxi with asio4all audio.Is this good? Or does it make the chord changes dirty?

----
This next question probably relates to the first but, I dont have a dedicated soundcard. Im thinking, now that Im dealing with sounds and want great quality, I should get one.

3. Do I really need a dedicated soundcard?

----

I noticed in some of the files that there is tutorials with instruction audio clips.

4. How do I view the tutorials with audio clips in biab?

----

Relates to question 1 but my guitar runs through my processor and gets alot of feedback from nearby electronics, computer monitors,etc.

5.Now that I got biab and practising with it, Im finding the area feedback unbearable at my desk infront of the computer. How do you guys deal with it? what can I do to get a clean sound?

----

I have a few more questions but I dont want to make you guys read a book. lol

Cheers!

6 strings. 24 frets. An infinite amount of possibilities.
dfaris #49193 12/13/09 10:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran
A small mixer (I have a Behringer) and some earphones would solve that pronto. You can record into band in a box, but I suggest you start with the videos. You can find them on the site.

Long and McQuade man.....

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/33/21/0/0/

check the 5 channel mixer 58 bucks, must know the store, Bloor get off at Ossington..not open on Sundays though.

List your gear after your signature, computer, guitars, operating system, best way to get help. I'm a keyboard midi guy with too much gear, last trip to Toronto I got the Bose L1 Model 2, it was only 4 grand. Only.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
by the way look at this thread from a few weeks back and read what Carlos wrote....his english is not great but then listen to his songs.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=7#Post240572

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hi,

I'm a guitarist too, here's what I would suggest:

use headphones to record your guitar sounds and turn off your external speakers and any other equipment you don't use to reduce interference & hum when you're recording

As you have a strat - standard single coil pickups are inherently noisier than humbuckers (premium modern single coils are sold as noiseless however). Make sure your guitar has shielding inside to reduce noise. Also roll the volume and tone pots back on the strat, that might reduce noise too

use quality leads between your guitar and digitech, and digitech to PC

experiment with gain and volume settings on the digitech and pc soundcard input mixer. You might find that a little less gain on the digitech reduces signal noise alot. If you don't get this right, your recordings will still sound distorted regardless of how much you spend on soundcards

To answer your specific question on 'great' sound quality...

Get a decent soundcard, inboard or outboard. You will find the separation of instruments and depth of sounds is amazing compared to a standard card. I have an EMU 0404 outboard - lots of inputs & outputs, mixing of signals etc and the clarity of sound is impressive

Get the best monitor speakers you can, they will bring out the best in your music. Monitor speakers are designed to faithfully reproduce the recorded sounds i.e. there is no coloration that you can get with hifi speakers. I have Tapco monitors by Mackie and again, they sound fantastic

Once you have a decent soundcard, don't forget your headphones may need upgrading. And always use quality cables to hook everything up!

hope this helps

regards,

Martin

dfaris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the link John...

it indeed answer a few questions.

Im off to long and mcquade...

Cheers!

dfaris #49197 12/13/09 11:43 AM
dfaris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks Martin,

Im going to pick up an out soundcard/mixer things. Or at least see whats out there. I havent been to a music store in a decade. I might break the bank!

Cheers!

dfaris #49198 12/13/09 02:54 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
With the Digitech and the Strat, good cables and a fair to good soundcard with Line Inputs on it, you should be able to make a pro quality recording with just that stuff. Not kidding.

As for noise of single coil pups, we Strat lovers wouldn't have it any other way.

Biggest noise prob in home recording with the PC may be noise emanating from your video monitor. You can tell real fast if the monitor is the noise source by switching it off midstream and continuing to record a bit more, then switch it back on and hit Stop, give a listen. Sometimes simply moving away from the monitor a bit or turning a 90 degree angle away from it while recording reduces the interference enough.

It is practice, both at the instrument and with the recording system, that makes good recordings. Equipment is a factor, but not as big a factor as many want to make it to be. You've got two pieces of very good equipment in that Digi and your Strat. It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools.

--Mac

Mac #49199 12/13/09 03:08 PM
dfaris Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
True Mac.
You can have the best equipment in the world, it doesnt make u a better player.
But having the right equipment does motivate one to practise more. And practise is what I need and now is effortless with biab.

dfaris #49200 12/13/09 03:13 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you are playing guitar and wish to record it, you don't really need a mixer.

Matter of fact, it would just be sitting there adding one more level of thermal noise to your signal chain, needlessly.

The Line Outputs, Stereo, of the Digi, into the two Line Inputs L and R of the soundcard and record to a Stereo track.

Why Stereo? Because many of the digital simulations take advantage of the Stereo field. You can still PAN a stereo track L or R in the mix later if need be. This goes doubly so for effects like rotating speakers, speaker simulators, etc. Or a slapback echo that slaps from side to side. Or Stereo Tremolo moving back and forth. etc.

The Digi can handle any EQ or tone situation needed here.

Be sure to use the Speaker Cabinet simulation. Nothing sounds as sparse as a Direct Injected electric guitar. The speakers of your amp are part of the sound. Digital Speaker Simulation is a good thing, allowing us the freedom to use Direct Injection and heaphones so as not to disturb, yet have the sound of as many speaker cabinets as your virtual guitar amp pedal can provide. Totally silent recording technique that plays back like six Marshall stacks in an arena, if that's what you want.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,686
Posts735,958
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 178