Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
doremus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I hate to be the voice of paranoia, but... I currently have BIAB 2009.5 (and Real Band) on a 500GB, 7200RPM drive that I use exclusively for my audio programs. What's been the general experience with you folks as far as the responsiveness of the drive that the programs are shipped on? And what if the drive fails?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
mine just did.

I was having problems from the start and dl'd everything to my c drive. Then biab went corrupt for a reason and I plugged in my hd and it wont load.

I need to send it back.

6 strings. 24 frets. An infinite amount of possibilities.
Veteran
Veteran
My BIAB 2009 HDD was bad out of the box. I contacted PG Music by email. They shipped a replacement upon receipt of the UPS tracking number for the bad drive. I believe I received the replacement in two days from the time I gave to package to the shipper. The replacement drive is still going strong.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
Here's the deal, and I hope that maybe I'm not misreading... When Biab, or anybody for that matter, sends something on a hard drive, it's merely a convenience for storage space, as opposed to sending out 20 DVDs of stuff... You get the hard drive.. You use it to install the program on the hard drives that you are using for your programs presently, from the hard drive you got from pgmusic... Once you install the program, you put the hard drive away that you got from pgmusic... that's the equivalent of in the past receiving 20 dvd's... Do not use the hard drive as another hard drive to use wiht your programs...

My experience with the hard drive has been very good... I received it, I installed the new program, there were some, files that I realized I hadn't copied over so I took it out of it's leather pouch again, and afterwards, it's been sitting in a drawer now...

However, as another suggestion, because I had this problem and it had nothing to do with the hard drive, after you install the new 2010, download the upgrades cause they're going to fix some bugs that are with the program right out of the box... But this is not unusual with any new release so it's par for the course...

Veteran
Veteran
I received the USB drive in Australia in 5 days and all worked excellently. I did not try the drive to see how it performed over usb, I simply used it as an installation drive and put all the programs on C: Rightly or wrongly, I reasoned that since it's quicker to copy files from one location to another on the hard drive than it is to copy from flash disk to hard drive (or hard drive to flash disk), my 7200 rpm hard drive would be faster at running BIAB.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Tradivoro,
You CAN run BIAB from the external hard drives, and from what I've heard, it isn't that bad. In fact, I'll be setting my laptop up to do that, instead of installing it to the hard drive.

However, I would agree that you should probably install it on your main computer.

As always, read the licensing agreement.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Veteran
Veteran
Here's what I do.
I received 2009 on an 80G drive, 2009.5 on a 160G Drive & 2010 on a 160 G Drive. I installed 2009 on the C and put the drive in the drawer. I installed 2009 to the C and put it in the drawer. I erased the 80G and use it as a backup for my songs. I installed 2010 to the C AND updated the older 2009.5 drive to 2010 put them both in the drawer. I now have TWO copies for backup and they just sit in the drawer.
Next update I will do the same. Erase one of the 160G drives and update one to the next. This way I'll always have two backups and I'll accumilate drives for son storage and backup as well.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
The hard drive version (particularly this year at 80 odd gig) has been a treat. I also managed to get about 5 years of updates deleted from my C: drive, and just run BiaB and RealBand from the USB drive - great idea by PG!!
Roy

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I ran 2009, 2009.5 and now am running 2010 from the PGMusic supplied hard drives with no problems I couldn't solve.

Of course, the first thing I did was make a complete backup of every folder and file on the drive to another drive, just in case. All you need do is copy and paste Select All from one drive to another.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Like Mac the first thing I did was to back up the PGMusic HD to another external USB drive. Then I loaded BB and RB onto my computers C drive. I kept the RTs and RDs on the PGMusic HD and use them from there.

All HDs will eventually fail so it is very important to back them up IMHO.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

That's not exactly true.

The only time the HD will fail is when the user has not backed up the data.

That is one of those "Murphy's Law" situations, of course.

if you back up the data properly, the drive will then last forever.

It will still be running fine long after the format is no longer supported by any current OS, long after any files on the thing are no longer needed, it will run *forever*.

But -- If you attemp;t to run that same drive only one time without backup, it will crash and burn on ya.

Of course.

--Mac

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
<<Tradivoro,
You CAN run BIAB from the external hard drives, and from what I've heard, it isn't that bad. >>

Oh, there's no question about it that you can, that's not the point I was trying to make... The point is, that's your backup, that's what you bought and if in the future you get a new machine, you install the biab from this drive to your new drive, or if you present system fails and you have to reinstall all your programs, you use the hard drive you bought from pgmusic to reinstall the program, just like in the old days, you would use floppies and now CDs...

I would never use a program delivered on hard drive and use that hard drive as a drive... If it dies due to use, you just lost the entire program and you gotta go out and buy it again... I have various orchestral libraries that I've bought that came in hard drive and they're still in their hard drives, however, I transferred them to the hard drive that I use to store musical instruments... What I bought from the manufacturer, that stays as the backup for always.. Just like CDs and floppies..

K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
My BIAB HD wouldn't always get recognized via my hub so I decided to install it on another USB HD that seems to work fine.

I like having the original HD stored safely away just in case.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
D
doremus Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thank you all for your input. I'm embarrassed to admit I never thought about actually transferring all the files from the HDD to my computer and using the USB drive as backup instead of ordering the discs to do the same thing. DUH! Happy holidays!

Last edited by doremus; 12/26/09 06:10 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

That's not exactly true.

It will still be running fine long after the format is no longer supported by any current OS, long after any files on the thing are no longer needed, it will run *forever*.

But -- If you attemp;t to run that same drive only one time without backup, it will crash and burn on ya.

Of course.

--Mac

Maybe, just maybe, my last laugh from the forum in 2009.

Very funny Mac!

Later,

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

That's not exactly true.

Of course.

--Mac

This is so true

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
My views are exactly like doremus. Now, I see how the external hard drive is used----or at least the purpose most are using it for. Guess I'll go that route next time instead of the DVD discs. Since I use BIAB for live play, I just saw the external drive as another piece of gear to keep up with, to plug in, etc.., and I didn't want to go that route. Less is more for me.

S
S
I love this forum.
I'm picking up my HD tommorow, and will now take everyone's advise and load BIAB onto my computer, keeping the HD safely put away in case I need it down the road or for upgrades, etc.
If I hadn't of read this post, I probably would have just used it from the HD.

It's better to keep quiet and appear stupid, rather than speak and remove all doubt.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
You have options.

I like using the USB drive and have been doing so for the last several versions of BB that have shipped on the USB drive. This way, I can work on songs on my desktop computer and transfer everythng over to the laptop for performances or travel very easily. Of course, the first thing I did was copy a complete backup of the shipped USB drive to another drive, for archival purposes, just in case.

--Mac

S
S
Thanks for that post Mac.
I was thinking that my best bet would have been to load BB onto my laptop since it's newer and faster. But, I see that if I work from the portable hard drive, it doesn't use much space after all.
The other reason for putting it on my laptop is that I'm using it for practicing the upright bass. There's no way that the bass will fit into my computer room. Good idea of transfering what I want onto the laptop though.
Thanks again. As I mentioned, I'm learning so much just from reading the posts online here.
Scotty

It's better to keep quiet and appear stupid, rather than speak and remove all doubt.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,697
Posts736,154
Members38,545
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Oraus, KlaasB, Sid S, Uncle Hemi, KWADWO FRIMPONG
38,545 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173