Go To
#55549 01/11/10 04:23 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I just installed the new patch #293 and I still cannot run 2010 with the Roland UA 700. It has worked for the
last 10 years with bb and Sonar but generates an " Access Error " every time I click on ASIO.
On my gig laptop I use a Audigy 2zs with Creative ASIO and have no problem. I am running off of the 160 gb
hard drive and using real drums and bass only. I have tried using Sax and Trumpet real tracks and have had
crashes when I tried to freeze them and re open them.
BIAB 2009.5 ran without glitches and I will probably go back to the old program until the bugs have been worked out.
Dave

davem7b5 #55550 01/11/10 04:40 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yea, I had no luck with asio drivers and BB either. However Im glad its all working fine in RB which is fine with me.
I just hooked up my old yami keys and im glad to have them in play again.

Your access error means that your asio driver is being used by another program or held in memory by it. Asio 4all gives you a small control panel that lets you direct the driver where you want it to go. You can try that.

6 strings. 24 frets. An infinite amount of possibilities.
dfaris #55551 01/11/10 05:49 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Why not try the MME drivers in BiaB for the time being?

If you are not trying to play a software MIDI synth in realtime, bia MIDi controller of some sort, there would be no advantage to ASIO.

If you are, then try the ASIO4ALL drivers as a temporary workaround until the program gets fixed.

--Mac

Mac #55552 01/11/10 06:19 PM
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I have been using MME but the volume is affected. It just sounds different. When I first
plugged in the hard drive to my laptop I had to change to MME and the program stuttered
and would skip beats. I change it back to ASIO and everything works.
I am just tired of fooling around with it. Instead of practicing for a gig on Fri. I end up
closing and opening the program. It isn't worth the effort. I'd rather play music.
Dave

davem7b5 #55553 01/11/10 06:24 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Try turning any software faders in the sound device's Control Panel or mixer all the way up.

There is no difference in sound between ASIO or Windows Sound Drivers unless something like that is going on.

--Mac

Mac #55554 01/11/10 08:10 PM
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Thanks for the help Mac, but I have tried that. I always keep the vol. wide open.
I just hope that if enough people are having problems it will eventually be taken
care of. Like I said I have been running the program for a long time and never had a problem until I loaded 2010 on top of 2009.5. I have been struggling for three weeks
and have run out of time. All I need is the bass and drums. It should be simple.
Thanks, Dave.

davem7b5 #55555 01/12/10 01:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks for the help Mac, but I have tried that. I always keep the vol. wide open.
I just hope that if enough people are having problems it will eventually be taken
care of. Like I said I have been running the program for a long time and never had a problem until I loaded 2010 on top of 2009.5. I have been struggling for three weeks
and have run out of time. All I need is the bass and drums. It should be simple.
Thanks, Dave.

Sorry man it's you or more to the point, your system. It is simple. Enough people are NOT having problems, if you're reading most of the posts here you would know that but of course the program and configurations are not perfect, there are still some bugs but they are very specific with no show stoppers like what you're talking about. Most have it working fine, if you need some detailed analysis of your problem start posting descriptions of your exact setup as in what's in your midi device window, your audio window, your exact computer specs, make, OS, cpu, memory, soundcard and how it's set up, stuff like that.
And, no comment about whether or not you even need ASIO? You do understand what it's used for, right?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #55556 01/12/10 03:23 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I run my keyboard in and thru and out to the Ketron with no asio drivers and have no problems at all. I would like Band in a Box to bring me a beer or coffee but that part only works if you have a band with people at the moment, I'm a one 'man' show.

John Conley
Musica est vita
davem7b5 #55557 01/12/10 03:31 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

It's curious that everything worked for 2009.5 but not 2010. From what you are saying, your system has not changed, it's only the program that's changed. I agree with you that this almost certainly indicates that it's something in the program that is causing the problem. I recently came across a bug that not everyone else experienced so it is possible that you might have discovered another. That bug was one of the main reasons for writing update #293.

I wonder if the fast (re)generation of Realtracks might be impacting on your system's performance. Fast generation is a background process and CPU-hungry. To test this, try turning it off (Opt. >> Preferences >> Realtracks >> Speed up generation). This process could certainly cause the stuttering you are describing.

Have you checked if Windows might have automatically installed some new drivers for your sound card or your graphics card? These might also be potential sources of error? (I disable all of Windows automatic processes on my computer.)

One last thought... Did you follow the PGMusic documentation when you installed BIAB to run from the USB hard drive? The installation process requires about 20 megs of internal hard drive space. Sometimes when the USB drive is plugged in, Autorun takes over and gives the impression that BIAB is all set to go. This has caught a number of people. There's an RTF file (ReadMe First.rft) on the USB drive that describes how to run the installation process. To be honest, I'm clutching at straws because I get the impression that you have done this; I thought I'd check anyway.

Just some thoughts,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 01/12/10 04:56 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #55558 01/12/10 04:30 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I was called out to provide support to a bar who ran Xp and they had a gina system. It had worked for years. Microsoft updated something and the card would not work AT ALL. That was about 8 months ago. I grilled the DJ about all the stuff that they were using and it turned into Winamp, and the old Echo Gina card. He ususally left the computer running but it updated itself and rebooted. I downloaded drivers, messed about and nothing worked. The computer was rack-mount weighed over 60 pounds, the fan was making noise, and it was really old. I replaced it with a Vista system, onboard sound system, dropped in his mp3 hard drive, and the sound was 100 percent better than on the old system (according to the DJ). Of course I did walk around, make notes, and reset the volumes on the 20 speakers that were being run by a mixer/eq/crossover, patch bay, and 10 amps.

The other problems was the system was saying the version of XP was not valid. When I tried updating drivers crazy stuff happened. I'm not sure what in the Microsoft XP update killed the soundcard, but I do know they didn't need that Echo Gina thing for a DJ booth. I told them (I made this up but it might be right), that they had an illegal version of windows and Bill Gates latest updated messed up the drivers. They are happy and called last week wanting 2 new big speakers and an amp.

The point of the story is unless you know what Microsoft is doing to your system, you can have all kinds of problems. Especially if you have some sort of one off setup. I'd turn off the ability to update your computer, and evaluate the need to do it at all if it's working.

Being net savvy goes a long way to keeping a system stable. I don't open attachments in emails, nor surf to places I'm unsure of on my 'music' system.

John Conley
Musica est vita
jazzmammal #55559 01/12/10 06:06 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If davem7b5 says he is having problems then he's having problems.

Just because others haven't duplicated the same problem is no reason to believe that the problem does not exist or that it is not the fault of the host program.

I've experienced a few problems with BiaB where, at least for a certain period of time, measurable in months, I seemed to be the only one experiencing that problem, even the folks at development had to put the "could not duplicate" label on the problem at the time. It got pretty hairy one time during the beta testing for one of those. At the time, I was accused of "torture testing" instead of beta testing (grin). However, it was indeed a bug that was corrected in a (much) later program update.

Anyway, let's try not to be so harsh sounding, 'K?

--Mac

Mac #55560 01/12/10 06:37 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

If davem7b5 says he is having problems then he's having problems.

Just because others haven't duplicated the same problem is no reason to believe that the problem does not exist or that it is not the fault of the host program.

I've experienced a few problems with BiaB where, at least for a certain period of time, measurable in months, I seemed to be the only one experiencing that problem, even the folks at development had to put the "could not duplicate" label on the problem at the time. It got pretty hairy one time during the beta testing for one of those. At the time, I was accused of "torture testing" instead of beta testing (grin). However, it was indeed a bug that was corrected in a (much) later program update.

Anyway, let's try not to be so harsh sounding, 'K?

--Mac

Same here Mac.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
silvertones #55561 01/12/10 06:41 AM
Veteran
Veteran
It has been documented that because ASIO bypasses the windows sound apalate the quality is better however it takes a very discerning ear. At 60 I don't have that.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
silvertones #55562 01/12/10 06:46 AM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

It has been documented that because ASIO bypasses the windows sound apalate the quality is better however it takes a very discerning ear. At 60 I don't have that.

Been through that argument too many times.

The only difference comes in when someone doesn't know how to properly use the Windows Sound Mixer applet.

That's why I simply tell people to go in there and turn the faders all the way UP.

Empircally tested, on the bench.

Incidentally, that is how I run my Record Input in the Properties, also, preferring to set my levels for recording externally using a mic preamp or a mixer that has analog level controls. The software fader is post converter, you see...

If you NORMALIZE your system like that, then "what goes in is what comes out".

dave is savvy and has already addressed that in this thread, his is already turned all the way up anyway.

--Mac

Mac #55563 01/12/10 07:21 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Been through that argument too many times.

The only difference comes in when someone doesn't know how to properly use the Windows Sound Mixer applet.

That's why I simply tell people to go in there and turn the faders all the way UP.

Empircally tested, on the bench.

Incidentally, that is how I run my Record Input in the Properties, also, preferring to set my levels for recording externally using a mic preamp or a mixer that has analog level controls. The software fader is post converter, you see...

If you NORMALIZE your system like that, then "what goes in is what comes out".

dave is savvy and has already addressed that in this thread, his is already turned all the way up anyway.

--Mac

Like I said can't prove it by me. If you've tested it then that's good enough for me.
It's sort of like telling the difference in speaker wire!

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
davem7b5 #55564 01/13/10 10:36 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Dave,

Quote:

I just installed the new patch #293 and I still cannot run 2010 with the Roland UA 700. It has worked for the
last 10 years with bb and Sonar but generates an " Access Error " every time I click on ASIO.
On my gig laptop I use a Audigy 2zs with Creative ASIO and have no problem.

Do you have this problem with 2009.5? How about with a fresh install of 2010 to a new folder?

Quote:

I have tried using Sax and Trumpet real tracks and have had crashes when I tried to freeze them and re open them.

You may have been using a Soloist track - there has been a bug fix related to freezing the Soloist track:
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#293

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hello Andrew,

I have used BIAB since VER.7 and always installed over the top of the old program.
After trying twice to install over 2009.5 all I was getting was access errors and then the program reverted back to 2009.5. I then installed to a new folder and that is when
I could only run with MME drivers. If I touch ASIO I get an access error. I have had 2009.5 and all of the previous versions running with ASIO without a problem. I use a midi guitar
to input horn parts and I think that I need ASIO.
I have an old Dell laptop with an Audigy 2 zs card and if I use a MME driver the program
stutters and skips beats at every repeat. I am running off of the 160 gb external hard drive. When I change to Creative ASIO the program runs flawlessly. I only use Drums
and Bass real tracks . This is my gig computer.
I never had a problem until I loaded 2010. The program is running with MME drivers.
My desktop is a dell dual core, 3gigs and Vista 32.
Dave

davem7b5 #55566 01/13/10 02:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Dave,

I use Vista 32-bit, too, and I needed to disable "User Account Control" to get BIAB to operate properly (Control Panel >> User Accounts). Despite what Windows might lead you to believe, UAC is not needed if you run anti-virus software.

Just another thought,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
davem7b5 #55567 01/13/10 05:51 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Hello Andrew,

I have used BIAB since VER.7 and always installed over the top of the old program.
After trying twice to install over 2009.5 all I was getting was access errors and then the program reverted back to 2009.5.

There's a big clue in this somewhere. It should have installed. Maybe you've got a corrupted installer file or something.

What happens if you try running BB2010 off the hard drive on the computer that chokes on ASIO?

--Mac

Mac #55568 01/13/10 07:56 PM
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I finally got it to work. I plugged the ext. hard drive into my desktop and the info box
asked to install ASIO driver. I clicked on UA700 and it installed. I loaded files for a gig
on Fri. night and played a few tunes. Everything worked great using the ext. drive.
When I opened the " C " drive the ASIO was installed and worked without a problem.
Next I plugged the ext. drive into my laptop and loaded a song and the " Access Error " popped up. I changed from ASIO to the MME driver and it played, albeit badly. I rebooted the computer and it played with the MME driver. After a couple of tunes I installed the ASIO and it actually worked. I don't understand what the secret was but it WORKS.

It is nice to know that help is available and knowledgeable people take the time. I have
read the forum every day and never really needed help. I would like to give a special
" Thank You " to Mac, Noel , Silvertones and Andrew.
Dave

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,662
Posts735,550
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 171