Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My music world is keyboard centric. I do other things, but mainly I am a keyboard guy. As I look at the new boards and drool over how great they sound, before I seriously consider buying one I find the manual online. I scan that manual and see if it takes 2 advanced degrees in electronical engineering to use it or not. I don't want to spend several thousands on a keyboard and have it so far above my level to program it that I am stuck with only the stock sounds. A couple of years ago I bought a used Yamaha Motif. I had it for a day. Fortunately for me it had 2 bad keys so I was able to return it, but as it sat on my table I was never so lost as trying to figure out how to do sound layers, keyboard splits, octave changes to make those splits make sense... I just don't want a keyboard that turns into a full time job trying to figure out how to use it.

Where do YOU draw the line? Is your line a moving target depending on what you do? I am of the opinion that if you never play live you don't have a lot of requirements from a keyboard beyond stock sounds. If you just play in a home studio you can you use MIDI data to do any exotic sound stacking and have no use for keyboard splitting because you can overdub on tracks. I am trying to recreate some of what Roger O'Donnell does to play with The Cure, and between what I can hear and what I see on videos he does a LOT of keyboard splitting. One of the videos I have of them shows that Roger is playing 2 of this very Kurzweil. Keyboards can get intense in live situations under even the simplest of circumstances. You need to be turning the MIDI on and off depending on whether you want to be sending data to another sound source or play the boards individually. In the Southside Johnny band I was in the last couple of years I had to constantly change the MIDI channel on my sampler because I didn't always need it to be slaved to the Korg Krome. There were times when I was not playing horns that I played it independently from the Korg and the only fast way to do that was to change the MIDI to channel 2. Then remember to change it back to channel 1 for the next song. And at times I played rhythm guitar parts on the Korg for just an 8 bar guitar solo so I just pulled the volume down on the sampler and then often forgot to push it back on... It can really get confusing when you make changes within songs and takes a lot of concentration that my 8th decade brain doesn't always have anymore.

Oh, the manual for the Kurzweil is 148 pages. The Motif was 294. The more they do, the more they have to teach us. Way above my pay grade.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/08/22 03:22 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When I used to play keyboards live the extent of my programming was just in setting up enough patches to handle what we normally played. I would just set default sounds for each of the 16 MIDI channels on the Proteus and on the Korg N5. So 32 total patches ready to play. We didn't have a huge song selection so the 32 was plenty for me. If I had needed more I could have programmed multiple banks/patches to allow a larger number. I never did much layering as I could find the sounds I liked without doing so. There may have been a song or two where I hit both keyboards at the same time.....

As you say, now that I'm just a home body, I don't need as many keyboards and I'm fine with just the N5 and MIDI to control.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
7.jpg (47.05 KB, 150 downloads)
STEVE - 1999

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
<...snip>
Where do YOU draw the line?
<...>

Since I play music for a living, I draw the line with a cost/gig-benifit decision.

Will this make my gig experience better enough to the audience to justify X number of gig take-home dollars I will spend on it?

I've gotten to the point where my musical instruments are tools, as well as toys, but the purchasing decision, more often than not, ranks them as tools.

Of course, there are exceptions.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
How about time, Notes? The money isn't as much of an issue for me. I really don't care anything about money. I have enough sent to me every month to not have to care. It's the time investment. That Motif I tried was ridiculous. The Kurzweil is difficult but I can make it through this because a former bandmate is a phone call away if I can't figure it out myself (which I prefer to do - like copying homework in school vs doing it). I toyed with the idea of getting a Prophet 10 but thought back to how complex the Prophet 5 was to program and how many players never got beyond the factory sounds.

So in THAT context if you know a piece of gear is extremely complex to learn is that more or less of a factor than price?

Example is that I looked at a Novation Launchpad because it looks cool and I see people use them and they look cool doing it. But I had to factor in "What would you ever use this for?" and I passed on it. But that comes from one who doesn't understand why people still play their songs from this software and not compile them into WAV files. It's not like you are remixing during a live performances. One guy here once replied to a similar comment I made saying he needed jukebox mode to string songs together. Okay. Can you not produce well enough to string songs together in a DAW and then render them as one song?

All a matter of preference, I know.

EDIT to add: I bought the Kurzweil after being in a band with a guy who had one, and seeing so many videos with Roger O'Donnell playing one with The Cure. On some of the videos he is using 2 of them. On others he is using that Kurz and a Motif. Now I need to form or join another band to give me a reason to sit at the thing and create the sounds I need for that band. The stock sounds are great but half the fun of synthesizers is, you know, synthesizing. I ran a vague ad to see what replies I'd get and it as usual it's a bunch of kids who want to form a band and be ready to play in 3 weeks.

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/09/22 06:05 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Software YES, Hardware NO

It started for me with the MOTU Audio Express. I have had it for years and it still has a red light flashing which I have no idea what it is trying to tell me or how to stop it. Otherwise, I just plug into it and it works.

Then more recently it was the Studio Logic SL88 Studio keyboard. Every other month something changes and I have to dig out the manual and get on line searching for how to adjust the programming.

These both are just hobby tools for me so I try not to over stress. First course of action is to tune them off and then back on again and I am usually set.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
What model MOTU do you have and how old is it? "For years" could mean 4 or 22. Do you have a manual that addresses that red light? Is the red light pulsing in a consistent pattern or when you inject input into it as if it is responding to input? Is it on one channel or a global indicator of something?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What model MOTU do you have and how old is it? "For years" could mean 4 or 22. Do you have a manual that addresses that red light? Is the red light pulsing in a consistent pattern or when you inject input into it as if it is responding to input? Is it on one channel or a global indicator of something?

Maybe 5+ years old. It didn't always blink. But it has 24/7 for the past 6 months. It the global main. Just a steady blink. Here it is. I caught it in mid blink so you see the red light on. I can only assume blinking red means all is working fine.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (39.01 KB, 106 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Dan

The answer to your flashing light is (and I quote)

The “+main” LED has three states: off, on, and flashing.
Push the PHONES knob to cycle among three volume
control modes: phone jack only (off), phones+main outs
(on), or main outs only (flashing).

So the fact that the light is flashing tells you that the phones knob is controlling the main outs only.

Kevin smile

Last edited by Kevin Woolley; 06/09/22 07:31 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Kevin Woolley
Dan

The answer to your flashing light is (and I quote)

The “+main” LED has three states: off, on, and flashing.
Push the PHONES knob to cycle among three volume
control modes: phone jack only (off), phones+main outs
(on), or main outs only (flashing).

So the fact that the light is flashing tells you that the phones knob is controlling the main outs only.

Kevin smile

hehe crazy , nothing is obvious to the uniformed. cry

Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Things like that are why I will harp so much on RTFM.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Page 4. Item 6. LOL!!!

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
Things like that are why I will harp so much on RTFM.

Bingo, we have the winner!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Guys, go easy on me. crazy I didn't post here asking for how to fix this. I stated that it was blinking and I didn't how to stop it from blinking. I did mentioned it was working fine so why fix something which was not broken. Trust me I am a busy guy grin.

But I do appreciate Kevin volunteering to provide guidance. smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
How about time, Notes? The money isn't as much of an issue for me. I really don't care anything about money.<...snip...>

It's more about priorities than money.

Mrs. Notes and I spent 5 weeks in a Camper Van exploring the eastern half of Australia, a month in China, 5 weeks in England, a month in Spain with a side trip to Morocco, a month in the Czech Republic, and quite a few other countries. All independent travel, except for China (I took a tour because I couldn't read the transportation schedules in the Chinese characters).

And a lot of that involves music, concerts by Czech Philharmonic, Prague Symphony, London Symphony, Hungary Symphony, Moscow Symphony, Beijing Opera, real (not tourist) Flamenco in Spain, Jazz in Amsterdam, steel band in Jamaica, Salsa festival in San Juan, Opera in Italy, Mariachi in Mexico, and more.

We often plan our dates on music events. We were in the audience for this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFoFxa7Hc04 -- although the camera never found us. It's a symphony seldom played in the USA and one of our favorites.

We were planning a trip to Madagascar when COVID reared its ugly head.

We've been to 49 US States, all but the middle of Canada, through Mexico to South America the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. The only continent we haven't been to yet is Antarctica, and it's on the list.

We never go to the same place twice, we travel once per year, and we have over 50 more places we want to visit, and it's not likely that we will make them all, so we prioritize.

To us, travelling to a foreign country, staying in local non-US hotels, using public transportation when available, listening to local music, and meeting new people are much more interesting than having more gear.

If a new piece of gear comes along that will make a significant difference in what I do for a living, I won't hesitate. If not, there are other things to do that also give me pleasure.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Hey Guys, go easy on me. crazy I didn't post here asking for how to fix this. I stated that it was blinking and I didn't how to stop it from blinking. I did mentioned it was working fine so why fix something which was not broken. Trust me I am a busy guy grin.

But I do appreciate Kevin volunteering to provide guidance. smile

I can relate to all of these statements. The Student never even slightly made a complaint, and one of the team then volunteered a solution. Yep. That's what this forum is all about. Helping each other & team-work. That's what gets results.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well all of that is good to know, Notes, (and a great flex, by the way) but the question really meant "How complex of a piece of gear will you tolerate"? This Kurzweil is a fantastic sounding board but the manual is like advanced calculus. 147 pages of complex information similar to what the Chinese train schedules must have looked like. All I want to do is find out if a screen on the display will tell me how many ROM Blocks are loaded in this thing (since I am not the original owner) and I am on day 4 trying to find out if that is even possible, much less how to do it. Between that manual and about 175 Kurzweil web pages (so far) I have not been able to see IF that is possible. I suspect that deductive reasoning should tell me that with no sounds in the 200s through 770 (out of 1000 sound slots) I don't have all 3 slots filled. BUT, how do I know the cards are not in there and just not populated?

That is what I mean by "geek level".

I am of the mindset that I am going to figure this *&@&*^* *$*#&#% out if it kills me. And if it does, so be it.

You enjoy travel. I hate it. I will never get on a plane again and pay people because I dare to have a frickin' suitcase! And not get a meal on a 5 hour flight. Plus I deal with enough foreigners right here in my city. I am not going out "in search of" to see more of them. Then again, I am an extreme introvert and surround myself with tech to keep me busy. Plus I have no spouse to travel with, and I won't go anywhere I can't take my dog. So no movies, no concerts, no restaurants unless they are dog friendly... This dog, while not officially, is my emotional support system. He comes with me. Period. I passed on seeing Brian Culbertson because after 3 hours away from my dog I would have been an angry, emotional wreck. You don't suffer from that kind of condition, and that whatever god you believe in for that. It is a miserable space to live in.

But back to music, anybody have a Kurzweil by any chance?

Last edited by eddie1261; 06/10/22 05:33 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am of the mindset that I am going to figure this *&@&*^* *$*#&#% out if it kills me. And if it does, so be it.

That was totally me in trying to figure out that multiple M2 SSDs as boot disk. Took me a while but I was determined.

BTW, what was that model of Kurzweil again? I can try some searching too.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I use a guitar and an amp. no pedalboard.

Guitarists at gigs ask me where the rest of my rig is.
I explain I do use a little reverb. i prefer springs.
I like an amp with a minimum of options. on/off, volume, bass,mid,treble, reverb.

Been that way for almost 50 years.

Not saying its better, it works for me.
My tone is pretty uncomplicated.
I try to sound like a guitar.
On a good night, I get most of the way there

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My level of geek with keyboards is .... as long as I can figure out how to get the midi data out and into the DAW I'm good.

Beyond that.... Nope. I use the software synths for everything else.

But then again.... I'm a guitar guy....so......

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Well all of that is good to know, Notes, (and a great flex, by the way) but the question really meant "How complex of a piece of gear will you tolerate"? This Kurzweil is a fantastic sounding board but the manual is like advanced calculus. 147 pages of complex information similar to what the Chinese train schedules must have looked like. All I want to do is find out if a screen on the display will tell me how many ROM Blocks are loaded in this thing (since I am not the original owner) and I am on day 4 trying to find out if that is even possible, much less how to do it. Between that manual and about 175 Kurzweil web pages (so far) I have not been able to see IF that is possible. I suspect that deductive reasoning should tell me that with no sounds in the 200s through 770 (out of 1000 sound slots) I don't have all 3 slots filled. BUT, how do I know the cards are not in there and just not populated?

That is what I mean by "geek level".

But back to music, anybody have a Kurzweil by any chance?

Look around and see if there is an editor/ librarian app for that thing for your computer platform of choice.

Last edited by Byron Dickens; 06/10/22 06:48 AM.

Byron Dickens

BIAB. CbB. Mixbus 32C 8 HP Envy. Intel core i7. 16GB RAM W10. Focusrite Scarlett 18i 20. Various instruments played with varying degrees of proficiency.

https://soundcloud.com/athanorsoundlabs
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,687
Posts735,976
Members38,539
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez, Isrra29, HukoKamb
38,539 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 179