You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#100744 - 01/05/11 08:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . .
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Does anyone else find that the Jazz B3 realtracs pedal bass notes conflict with any bass you are using on any given style? Just my personal preference but I would love to have the Jazz B3 without the bass notes included, just wondering if this is possible? And if not is there a way to drop the bass pedal from the realtracs?

Just wondering,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#100745 - 01/05/11 09:50 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: Danny C.]
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Danny, as far as understand, that's the idea behind that particular RT, no need for an extra bass. I have no idea whether you can get rid of the bass pedals sound, but being an audio file like the rest of them, I think the answer is not (I might be wrong). However, on a song I created which even is a Bossa style instead of swing, I added a Bossa acoustic bass and kind of masked the pedal bass pretty good, the bass pedal definitively messed up the Bossa feel naturally. I was pretty happy with the result.

Mike B.

#100746 - 01/05/11 11:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: cubanpete]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

I agree with Danny C. I'd like to use the organ RT's, but do not like the bass part; so, I'm not using them. Would love to see a variety of organ RT's created without any bass.

#100747 - 01/06/11 09:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: J. Larry]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I haven’t used these RTs but could work around be to use a high pass filter to eliminate those pedal bass parts? You would have to use a sequencer and use the filter on the organ track but it should work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#100748 - 01/06/11 09:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: MarioD]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

According to a friend of mine who is a long time jazz player, when you had a guy on the B3 you never had a bass player in the band.The B3 guy played the bass parts.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

#100749 - 01/06/11 10:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: silvertones]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Your friend speaks the truth! I played many years in a B3, guitar and drum trio. I still love that sound! Think of Dr. Lonnie Smith and George Benson and Jimi Smith and Kenny Burrell.

I was just trying to help Danny who apparently wants to use the B3 RT without the bass pedals.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#100750 - 01/06/11 11:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: Danny C.]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sterling, Va
The sound of the jazz B3 is pretty authentic. Just listen to any Jimmy Smith, Joey DeFrancesco or Tony Monaco recording. That's the way B3 bass should sound. I agree though, that there should be an option to use the B3 RT without the organ bass so that you can choose your own bass RT. Maybe for a future update? Later, Ray

#100751 - 01/06/11 12:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: raymb1]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I played in a band 3 years ago. No pedals on the keyboard.

The asked me not to use my left hand as I was walking over the bass player.

Then they asked me to play only short fills, and not on certain verses.

Then they asked me to stay off the melody.

Then I picked up my keyboard, the mixer they were using, my 3 speakers and didn't go back.

They've had 8 gigs with 4 guys, each getting $100 for 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. plus setup and tear down.

The wife and I, despite my taking time off for cancer, have had 12 gigs, $250 for 8 p.m. to midnight, or in an afternoon. 3 of them I got the same money and she didn't play.

About 70 percent of the money was donated back to the organization that hired us.

#100752 - 01/06/11 01:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: John Conley]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Guys thanks for the responses. I should have stated that indeed the B3 Jazz tracs are pretty authentic(including the pedal bass lines) but with todays BIAB and all the wonderful choices of bass styles I find that the B3 pedal bass conflicts with the other real bass tracs and yet is really not strong enough to stand on it's own with no bass at all.

Yo Mario . . . I too was fortunate to play many years with a B3 in our trio and we did not use a bass player either. However there was another draw back with our B3 player back then, you see because of him we could not keep a girl singer, but that is subject matter for another thread someday.

Maybe in the future if enough request come in we may have a choice of pedal or no pedal but until then I sort of feel like I am standing in the bread line requesting French Toast.

Thanks guys,

#100753 - 01/07/11 10:04 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: Danny C.]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Yo Mario . . . I too was fortunate to play many years with a B3 in our trio and we did not use a bass player either. However there was another draw back with our B3 player back then, you see because of him we could not keep a girl singer, but that is subject matter for another thread someday.

Hey Danny, I doubt that the female issue was not the biggest issue concerning playing in a B3, guitar and drum trio. You only had three guys to move that ultra heavy B3 and Leslie! Even with carriers and ramps for the truck it was still heavy

#100754 - 01/07/11 12:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: MarioD]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

My only dislike about the B3 bass line is that it's not fat and full-enough for me compared to the real basses. I agree with the line someone said about "really not strong enough to stand on it's own." I've got all my tunes carefully balanced for live play. The B3 bass line disappears when compared to the others. Increasing the volume of that track throws everything else out of whack. And, I don't want to re-EQ everything just for B3 tunes alone.

#100755 - 01/07/11 08:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: MarioD]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Danny, I doubt that the female issue was not the biggest issue concerning playing in a B3, guitar and drum trio. You only had three guys to move that ultra heavy B3 and Leslie! Even with carriers and ramps for the truck it was still heavy

Mario,

That was nearly 30 years ago and even today my back aches when I see a Leslie! Love the sound but hate everything else about it. The drummer would just beg him to leave the Leslie home, heck he'd tell the organist to bring an accordian instead.

Later,

#100756 - 01/08/11 09:13 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: Danny C.]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mario,

That was nearly 30 years ago and even today my back aches when I see a Leslie! Love the sound but hate everything else about it. The drummer would just beg him to leave the Leslie home, heck he'd tell the organist to bring an accordian instead.

Later,

It was 40 years ago for me and my back aches when I see one also. On a plus side I think I kept BenGay in business for at least 10 years

Today I have NI’s B4II. It weighs a few ounces but contains all of the sounds of a B3! The kids today don’t know how lucky they have it.

#100757 - 01/08/11 03:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: Danny C.]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

The bass on my B3 tracks are more than loud enough. Just as loud as the string bass RTs. There must be something wrong in your set-up. Later, Ray

#100758 - 01/08/11 04:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: raymb1]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The bass on my B3 tracks are more than loud enough. Just as loud as the string bass RTs. There must be something wrong in your set-up. Later, Ray

Ray,

I understand that but the bass pedal and the B3 chord adjust to the same volume. Therefore in order to get the B3 pedal louder the entire track comes up and this in some cases makes the entire B3 track too loud for the rest of the mix. But with that said I am not discounting that something could be wrong with my setup, however every other trac seems to adjust perfectly. But like I stated in an early post this is a very small inconvenience in the overall scheme of BIAB.

Take Care,

#100759 - 01/09/11 12:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: Danny C.]
raymb1 Offline
Veteran

My B3 tracks are very well balanced between the bass and the chords. I practice my EWI 4000s with the B3 and Real Drum tracks. Never a problem with anything being too loud or too soft. Would be nice if others who are using the B3 tracks would chime in here and tell us how they're doing with these tracks. Later, Ray

#100760 - 01/09/11 08:24 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Jazz B3 Realtracs, is it just me or . . . . [Re: raymb1]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
**Just because it is a B3 doesn't mean the track was designed to do the job of a B3 "fill" player, nor does the genre fit very well with styles other than pure jazz/modern jazz/bebop. **

Those wanting a B3 for songs in other genres really shouldn't be trying to use the Jazz Trio B3 tracks for that purpose.

The registrations used are "wrong" for the job for one thing, as well as the style of playing, use of Leslie, Scanner settings, well, everything about the Jazz B is much different from what would be done in a typical Pad setup to accompany a Popular, Country, Rock or Blues etc. song.

What you *really* seem to need here would be B3 RealTracks that are designed as such from the gitgo, rather than attempts to make these examples work in your songs.

It is not just the presence of the B3 Bass part that is wrong for the purpose.

And the Walking Bass is not done on Pedals - that is typically done with the Left Hand on the lower manual, using a particular drawbar setting. Many jazz players then also "chiff" the Pedal at the beginning of each fingered note, typically on the tritone of the note being played or the chord root, to imitate the "pluck" of a string bass on the organ.

So this whole thread should really be a WISHLIST ITEM -> "More B3 Realtracks, Pads, Fills and contemporary solos" or something along those lines.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54389 Topics
449525 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 150