T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Hi again out there.
I am making some slideshows, and want to have some background music on them
Together with some commentary (voiceovers)
On the old Zoom studio that I had ( which I sold) there was a mastering preset called ( Background music)
But like I said I sold the studio, so it is not possible to go back and look at the settings for that preset.
I have tried to find something about how to master for background music on the net, but was not able to find anything useful.
Is there someone out there who can tell me a little about how it is done?
and also, would you "carve" EQ holes for the voiceover in the music. ( The voiceover is done in a later and seperate stage)

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Where will the slideshows be used? Online? At seminars? What will they play back over?

I would leave the voiceover iself to be handled by ducking if possible, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern.
Background music is just that; background. Don't try to bring out the bass, or cymbals, or anything that may distract from the voiceover, the idea is to have the music there, but not have the user notice it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Quote:

Where will the slideshows be used? Online? At seminars? What will they play back over?

I would leave the voiceover iself to be handled by ducking if possible, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern.
Background music is just that; background. Don't try to bring out the bass, or cymbals, or anything that may distract from the voiceover, the idea is to have the music there, but not have the user notice it.

Thank you rharv.
I have not thought to much about where the slideshows should be used, I thought that bacgrond music should be treated the same way no matter where they where used?
I agree with you that background music should like you said be in the background without the listener notice it. but I thought it was more to it than just take the volume down. I remember when I listened to the preset "bacground musik" on the zoom studio that it sound "distant" not only like a track where the volume was down. There seems to be a "rule of thumb" for mastering any genre of music, and I thought there might be some guidelines also for background music on documentary films.?
But maybe it is like you said only to not bring out the bass or symbals.
Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Video editing programs have multiple audio as well as video tracks. Place your background music on one audio track and the voiceover on the other. You should be able to edit the audio within the program also, i.e. levels, cut and paste, etc.

Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Quote:

Video editing programs have multiple audio as well as video tracks. Place your background music on one audio track and the voiceover on the other. You should be able to edit the audio within the program also, i.e. levels, cut and paste, etc.

Thank you Ikmuller.
The editing, like audio levels,cut and paste etc is not a problem.
It is more a question about EQ I guess.

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
rharv is correct in that you should think about the playback systems for your slide shows. Are you simply going to provide these online, or will they be shown using PA systems for playback or in movie theatres with a full multi-channel surround system, etc.?

If you cannot specify the playback system, then more important is the orchestration and arranging; not the EQ settings.

rharv again is right that the voice-over should be handled by either ducking, or manual volume envelope adjustment of the music tracks in the video editing suite that is being used.

If you are just shooting for the 'distant' kind of a sound, an easy way to do that is both with volume as well as EQ. Just put a fairly steep downward to the right slope on an eq to simulate a sound coming from a distance - coupled with a decrease in volume.

High frequencies attenuate in air more rapidly as a function of distance, than do lower frequency content. This is why distant thunder sounds just as a 'boom and rumble' while thunder that you hear from a nearby lightning strike has all the 'crack and snap' in it as well as low frequencies.

But likely this is not exactly what you want to accomplish - particularly if your soundtrack will be played over laptop speakers, which have nearly no low end capability.

What is the type of slide show, where is it played, etc. help to determine the type of orchestration and arrangement needed.

Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thank you Rockstar-not.
It wil probably like you sai mostly be plaed over Computer speakers, but Like every music I would like it to sound good on most systems. The orchestration will be symphonichal. ( Chlasic music. It will not be a soundtrack, but more a "Score" ( A musichal "bed" that "Runs" in the background.)

Last edited by Tono; 02/17/11 12:54 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What you need to do isn't really mastering. The background needs to fit a certain niche and is 'pre-mastering' really. You want the track to sound as good as it can on the system it will be played on, and in the context of the finished product. . Then the mastering would occur as the final step, including the vocal narration. Zoom may have called it a mastering preset, maybe even just to save space...

Many manufacturers, if you know the model, have a lot of those preset settings included in the manual. It may be in a format you are not used to, but it is sometimes there in all the MIDI information near the back. If you know the model, it *may* be possible to see what settings they were using, then at least have an idea of a starting point to emulate.

Last edited by rharv; 02/17/11 06:55 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My team made many videos / powerpoint / slideshows.

It is preferable to write the objective in clear language.

Then the program is designed to achieve your objective.

I/ we worked in 3 areas, different teams.

1. Fire Officer or Recruit Training.

2. Service Employee Training (hospitality, hotel, bar, restaurant, etc)

3. Masonic type education.

I will expand on item 1. We (a team of 6) designed the courses for a 16 week (one week every 4 months) officer training program.
It was very obvious to all of us that there was a huge resentment factor to having to take any training as their peers got there by seniority.

Thus the initial day was to get these people to buy into the whole program.

Imagine a bunch of macho guys walking into a building, not understanding the ...is it really...flower scented candles. Then dim lighting, classical music, louder, images, slideshow and video, a disaster from a large fire dept. that lost a bunch of guys. Why.? But the music was selected based on how it affects you, the volumes ebb and flow with the slide show. We met our objective, for after 1.5 hours of a program none of us spoke. The images, the video and the music did their thing.

Rachmaninoff, Mahler, and others were all part of the program.

In a video editing suite (Avid or Pinnacle are what I a familiar with) you can pull up or down the levels. It is good to boost them first and then pull them down when you need to. Any Avid or the Pinnacle program will let you do this, a voiceover, and 2 sound tracks.

We called a break after the intro and it was rare to see a dry eye. Guys who thought it was BS realized that they were going to put other people's lives on the line, that it could kill people who were brothers and friends. In fact, not one word of introduction or orientation took place for over 2 hours, it was music, and images. Change images on the beat. The whole thing was a canvas.

Once we got the concepts right it was extrapolated to all our programs, and turned into a huge positive. The Training Department went from a joke to a respected and cutting edge organization, all because we fought budget cuts by demanding high end technology. They took 250 k out of the budget and we got 55 of it back for cameras, computers, software, etc.

Never sell short your ability to use music as a lever. Our approach was classical oriented, but depending on who is you audience, it can be anything relative.

Pay very close attention to dynamics. Eschew modern attempts to make everything loud, music has far more impact with the proper use of pianissimo and forte.

Even if you are aiming for lighthearted, music is the key. Life without music is an unimaginable tragedy that I hope I never meet eye to eye or ear to ear.

The sad thing is that as the music dies your brain makes up stuff you never wanted to hear. I have been thinking of making a recording of that, for it should wake some folks up, and make them take care of what they have, rather that heading to that of which they know nothing of. (the latter phrase with a tip of the hat to William Shakespeare.)

TC and remember, all the world is a stage, a canvas, go work on it. Write the script, get help to polish it, and unleash it. Great Fun. Don't forget the soundtrack stuff PG put forward a few years ago, with a Ketron that stuff is great.

If you get stuck with an idea and the music you might use, shout out here. Lots of good help.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thank you for good answers.
First, I liked the distand thunder thing This gives me some ideas to work with when I want the music to sound "distant" or coming from inside a building etc.
The Zoom studio that I talked about was a ZOOM MRS 1608.
Also the ansver from John Conley gives many ideas to work with.
Thank you for help and inspiration :-)
Then again about music for films. Do any of you use BIB for creating such music?
The BIB has a "style" called "soundtracks". Do anyone of you use them? If so, what is your experience with these tracks,?

Best reards
Tono

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Tono,

Try doing some websearches for how to use a SIDECHAIN COMPRESSOR as a "DUCKER".

The sidechain compressor is applied to the music track, but has an extra input for the voiceover track.

When properly set, this will "DUCK" the music content underneath the voice but only when the voice is speaking. It will also allow the music to come back up between the spoken parts. Settings are critical beause we don't want the thing "pumping" or breathing in and out too rapidly.

While I like to use a hardware compressor and multiple input/output soundcard for this work, there are some plugins around that will do the sidechain compressor job of Ducking.

The Ducker is how the pros do it.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Note the soundtrack styles reflect a mood or set a scene. This varies depending on your target audience. I would be lost trying to teach any group other than my own at this point in life. I know my son was teaching one of his first university courses and discovered HE was out of touch, trying to explain something in the terms of MASH and Klinger as it related to our concept of 'dressing' male or female when to his horror the first year university students knew nothing about MASH. Relevance. My kids think me irrelevant and that is probably true.

If you are my age you'll remember that the one thing that can cross lines is classical music. When bugs bunny needed to convey energy, William Tell Overture.

And guess what, classical music (for the most part) has not followed the model where you boost everything into a narrow range. One of the most intriguing side trips you can take on this issue is to put on Symphony No 3 by Górecki. Use good headphones. Don't turn it up at the start and leave the room, you might have your system blow up. You cannot listen to that in a car unless you are in a Bentley, perhaps.

I have provided some training to the Canadian independent film industry. (Mostly documentaries) You'd be surprised to learn that they use Band in a Box a lot. You can set how long you want your snippet, pick a style, and Band in a Box makes the music. This works very well, the speaking is done and you want 2 mins 10 sec for credits. You can do that.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thank you Mac. ( Good to hear that you are still there :-))
I will take a look at the "Ducker".
Best regards from
Tono.

Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thanks for your reply John.
I Think that classic music is the best for background music in most of the "situations.
And yes I was a little surprised that the pros used BIAB a lot.
I have used BIB as backing tracks for songs, but the there was a voice or acoustic solo instrument as a lead, and the BIAB was the backing tracks. I have found that it is much more difficult to make a realistic "instrumental" and I dont understand how it is possible to make a believable classic piece with BIAB alone.
If somebody have some examples or sugestions how this can be done please tell me.
I played the Symphony No3 By Gorecki. An it was a sad thing, but wery useful if we want to make a documentary from a nazi consentration camp. Do anyone have a sugestions what cind of Classic music express beauty?

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For anyone wanting to fire up discourse on music:

To help you out describe your mood based on turning everything off but think of a style.

Grab the style, no chords no notes.

Go to the Soundtrack Icon.

Put in to make chords, it's gonna change the style no sweat. Put in the check box for time and put in 4 minutes and 33 seconds.

Now mute all tracks and come in, sit down and hit play.

At the end of 4' 33 seconds you have just delivered a famous piece of avant guard classical music.

If you need to figure this wonder out google John Cage 4' 33''.

Who said you were no good at classical right!

What environmental music did you hear?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto n. 2 in C minor especially the part from 1:30 to 2:50 or so.

I love the signature riff at 7:30 ~ depending on tempo of who you listen to....

Next I think of Beethoven, Pathetique. op 13, the 'Midnight blue...'

A nice waltz, Die Fledermaus...note the actual waltz is slower than in the intro, wife and I saw that at the Met. Lovely.

Again the end user is the target. Sergi R. has some great stuff, but it would be called Northern Vast sweeping expanse, and you have Sibelius in somewhat the same boat, though you could argue the Tzar's influence on Finland was responsible for the 'russianization' of a country. And Sibelius spent many years going from that perspective with Swedish / Russian influence being contrasted with the traditional Finnish, where did that culture and language come from...thing.

The advantage of using classical music or chords from some other song with the soundtrack function is you end up with something that is not under copyright.

There are some classical music pieces included with band in a box. Have a look. Change out the style for a soundtrack one, lots of those are midi so it's dependent on how your synth sounds. Violins, synth pads etc. sound on as good as the hardware or software in the syth.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In thinking about this the #1 most romantic need to hear, give her champagne, chocolate, and put on the Adagio for Strings by Barber. It's not long, and it's maybe too sweet, but a gem.

Some people just can't get over the man, and give credit for the music. But then what do you do with sir Elton? I just can't be that narrow minded.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Tono Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thank you John.
Now Ive got a lot to look at

Best regards
Tono

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Listen to the Adagio. Great stuff. My tastes bounce here and there, I have full scores for a lot of stuff, from Bach cantatas, to some modern stuff I'm not so fond of.

I love to listen and watch a score. I guess that is still an hour a day at least. My family settled in to watch the Grammy's and they were on me because I don't know anything about the last 10 years. Well a bit but I can't say anything about pop,rock, rap, country, hip hop. Not my thing.

Oh, well.

Just keep going. Plugging. Plodding. It is a lot of work, but there are rewards.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,274
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181