#108392 03/12/11 04:47 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
As the subject title suggests, when I render a song, just the drum part for now, the wave file plays, but slows down a bit, gets stuck (hiccups) plays correctly then gets stuck again etc etc.

First time it's happened.

Using BIAB 2011 Dec version. Is this a known bug?

I rarely use this program, so when I need to use it (now) it's frustrating when all hell starts to break loose.

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
BIABguy,

What are you computer specs? (operating system, processor speed, RAM)

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Pentium-M 1.86G 2G RAM
WinXP

If anyone wants to listen to this weird .wav file I'll be happy to send it to you!

I thought 'Merge in Audio track' was the culprit, but I unchecked the box now and still got the same results.

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Hi again,

Something that often fixes problems with the older, slower computer processors is to turn off the fast regeneration of Realtracks. It sounds like your computer is trying to generate RTs and to render a wav file at the same time.

Go to Opt | Preferences | Realtracks and on the right side of the pop-up menu, disable "Speed up generation of Realtracks".

When you render a song with this diabled, it will take around 20 seconds before anything happens. This is because BIAB will now wait until the whole song is completely generated before it starts to play. Fast generation of RTs works the processor to the maximum and this is sometimes beyond the ability of older processors.

Hope this helps,
Noel

P.S. Make sure that you generate the song completely before you render it to a wav file.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Hi again,

Something that often fixes problems with the older, slower computer processors is to turn off the fast regeneration of Realtracks. It sounds like your computer is trying to generate RTs and to render a wav file at the same time.

Go to Opt | Preferences | Realtracks and on the right side of the pop-up menu, disable "Speed up generation of Realtracks".

When you render a song with this diabled, it will take around 20 seconds before anything happens. This is because BIAB will now wait until the whole song is completely generated before it starts to play. Fast generation of RTs works the processor to the maximum and this is sometimes beyond the ability of older processors.

Hope this helps,
Noel

P.S. Make sure that you generate the song completely before you render it to a wav file.

Thanks for helping out Noel!
I tried everything you suggested above but it didn't work unfortunately. So my 'slow computer' isn't the
problem.

Even before the song play, just the count-in itself starts to lag/stick.
There is no 20 second delay before anything happens.
Immediately there is writing to disk and then the rendering to disk. Two quick processes that take just a few seconds each.

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Does this happen with other songs or just a particular one?

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Does this happen with other songs or just a particular one?

Well I just tested it out with a couple other songs and it's doing the same thing with them.
This is really disconcerting, because it used to work just fine before (prior to BIAB 2011).

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
I sympathize with your frustration.

I'm quite puzzled because the behavior you describe is identical to the behavior experienced by people who use fast generation of RTs on machines that find it difficult to keep up with processing demands.

When you disabled the "Fast Generation of Realtracks" as I suggested above, did you exit BIAB and restart?

Some people have found that once changes are made it's necessary to physically shut down the computer for changes to kick in.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Whenever BiaB stops doing something that it has already done in the past, there are two things to try, in this order:

1) Reboot the machine. Sometimes long edit sessions or the like can chew up resources and a reboot can get all those ducks back in a row.

2) If the reboot doesn't restore proper operation, inside BiaB, go to Options and pick Return to Factory Settings. Try the first button there first. If no joy with that button, try the second button, which also resets soundcard and MIDI synth choices, etc.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Check out the -> FAQ for more potential clues ...

Martin
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Whenever BiaB stops doing something that it has already done in the past, there are two things to try, in this order:

1) Reboot the machine. Sometimes long edit sessions or the like can chew up resources and a reboot can get all those ducks back in a row.

2) If the reboot doesn't restore proper operation, inside BiaB, go to Options and pick Return to Factory Settings. Try the first button there first. If no joy with that button, try the second button, which also resets soundcard and MIDI synth choices, etc.

--Mac

Thanks for helping Mac.
I tried the reboot but it didn't make a difference.
I've done the factory reset many times for other issues. In all cases, it didn't fix the problem and I lost all of my previous settings that took hours to get set up just right.

This is not a system resource type problem.
I play the song in BIAB and it plays just fine. I render the track I want, and the render gets stuck/lags.
It has something to do with the rendering process.
I opened a fresh BIAB file, copied the chords to it and the same results happened.

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Tell us again which synth you are using for the render.

Double check which one is being used in the MIDI devices dialogue. Then the DXi synth selection.

Note that even if you use a DXi/VSTi synth for rendering, support has recommended selecting the GSWavetabe synth in the device window as default (not MIDImapper or such).

Last edited by rharv; 03/13/11 12:57 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Tell us again which synth you are using for the render.

Double check which one is being used in the MIDI devices dialogue. Then the DXi synth selection.

Note that even if you use a DXi/VSTi synth for rendering, support has recommended selecting the GSWavetabe synth in the device window as default (not MIDImapper or such).

OK, this is very complicated now.
Anyone who isn't comfortable with complex things should probably just avoid reading this post altogether

I was using the DXI synth but turned it off now.

Now there was a strange situation.
I could hear the midi file being played because sound was coming of my speakers, thus my internal sound card was being used.

When I tried to render, it went through the process, but nothing was heard when the wave file was played.
This is because it was trying to record through my Logitech camera mic, and I had set it to mute as I didn't want to record live sounds from it.

I didn't have any option to record the midi that I was hearing through my speakers.
(my internal sound card drivers don't load 99% of the time)

So I plugged in my UA-25EX Edirol once again.
Now it was showing up as a Midi option in BIAB.
I selected it for Midi In and Midi Out in BIAB.

Here is where I discovered something weird from another thread (How to force a Part B section to play? ).
I tried to change Substyle marker at the begininng of the song from 1a to 1b and although it showed 1b on screen, when the song was played (or replayed) it played substyle 1a !!!

But then I selected Audio, top right of screen and then mute and tried to play the file.
Nothing was heard at all!
This meant that what I was hearing was audio and not any Midi after all !!!
Not Midi from my sound card, not midi from my UA-25EX.

I confirmed this by changing Substyle 17b to 17a (bar 17) and replayed the song. Sure enough bar 17 played Substyle b, despite it showing Substyle a.

So it was definitely playing an audio file, there was no midi. But why wasn't I hearing midi from the UA-25EX now?
I was using an all-Midi quintet style (BOS_250 Bossa) after all.

Simple, I didn't know how to set up my UA-25EX properly. No one ever showed me how!
I thought, naively that if you plugged in the USB cable to the unit, everything would work automatically. All the sound would come out of the USB cable!
I thought it had a built-in Midi module (like most internal soundcards do). It just has Midi (ins and outs), that's all!

So I connected the Ins and Outs to my Roland SC 55mkII and turned on my external amplifier and replayed the BIAB song. Now I could hear the midi!

I tried once again to render the drum track.
It recorded, but when I played back the track was empty again!

Changed Midi Output from UA-25EX to MS wavetable.
It recorded, but when I played back the track was empty again!

This is where I currently stand....

BIABguy
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Automatic "Rendering" can only happen if you are using a DXi or VSTi software synthesizer.

When using an external hardware MIDI synth, the only way to make an audio file of that "performance" is to hook up the Audio L & R outputs of the MIDI synth to the L & R Line Inputs of your sound device and then play back the MIDI performance while simultaneously recording it in stereo to the Audio track.

Audio tracks recorded in BiaB will be given the same filename as the songfile that is currently loaded, just changing the suffix from .mgu/.sgu etc to .wav. When there is a .wav file of the same filename as the BiaB songfile, it will load automatically onto the BiaB Audio track and will play back along with the BiaB backing traks. To hear only the Audio file, you can either disable the Style by rightclicking on the Stylename window and choosing Disable, or you can Solo the Audio track by rightclickin on the Audio trackname. You can also change the filename of the .wav file to prevent it from autoloading with the song.

As for the Return to Factory Settings changing your settings, take the time to read what's going on there and when things are working correctly in BiaB, do what it tells you to take a snapshot of your settings so that the next time you have reason to Return to Factory Settings you can return to YOUR personal settings instead.

--Mac

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Automatic "Rendering" can only happen if you are using a DXi or VSTi software synthesizer.

Thanks Mac, I learned this eventually yesterday. I paid my dues to learn about it!
In my case, it was suggested that the hiccups in my song were due to rendering with DXi software.
This is why I started experimenting with my UA-25EX last night. But I could never play back the rendered song with sound so at this present moment, don't know if it will cure the hiccups.

Quote:

When using an external hardware MIDI synth, the only way to make an audio file of that "performance" is to hook up the Audio L & R outputs of the MIDI synth to the L & R Line Inputs of your sound device and then play back the MIDI performance while simultaneously recording it in stereo to the Audio track.

I did not know this, thanks Mac! I will try this shortly.

Quote:

To hear only the Audio file, you can either disable the Style by rightclicking on the Stylename window and choosing Disable, or you can Solo the Audio track by rightclickin on the Audio trackname. You can also change the filename of the .wav file to prevent it from autoloading with the song.

Thanks again Mac this is also very helpful!

Quote:

As for the Return to Factory Settings changing your settings, take the time to read what's going on there and when things are working correctly in BiaB, do what it tells you to take a snapshot of your settings so that the next time you have reason to Return to Factory Settings you can return to YOUR personal settings instead.

Thanks Mac, I didn't know about taking snapshots of your settings.
That should prove very helpful as well!

BIABguy
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Thanks Mac, I learned this eventually yesterday. I paid my dues to learn about it!
In my case, it was suggested that the hiccups in my song were due to rendering with DXi software.
This is why I started experimenting with my UA-25EX last night. But I could never play back the rendered song with sound so at this present moment, don't know if it will cure the hiccups.

Tonight I'm continuing to experiment with the song.

I have hooked up my external midi module as Mac suggested (sound out to my Edirol sound card ins).
I have gone into BIAB and tried to set my UA-25EX as my external MIDI module but it won't accept it!

It shows the following on Midi Output Driver Wizard Page:

- Use my internal sound card
- MS GS Wavetable

- Use my external midi module
- UA 25-EX

I check off the second (external and 25-EX)

but when I go back it reverts back to the internal sound card!

I don't remember what I did differently last night, but I was able to get sound from my UA-25EX + my external midi module!

Any ideas?

TIA

BIABguy
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

It shows the following on Midi Output Driver Wizard Page:

- Use my internal sound card
- MS GS Wavetable

- Use my external midi module
- UA 25-EX

I check off the second (external and 25-EX)

but when I go back it reverts back to the internal sound card!

I don't remember what I did differently last night, but I was able to get sound from my UA-25EX + my external midi module!

Any ideas?

TIA

Well I continue to be more than a bit confused.
I got the sound to happen again with my UA-25EX.

I had to change the hookup a bit from what Mac was suggesting though.
He suggested I take the out from my external midi device to the input of my sound device.
I tried that but didn't get any sound.

Here's what worked:
I took the out from my external midi device to the input of my mixer.
I then took the tape output of my mixer to the input of my sound device.
Of course my sound device was connected to my computer via a USB cable so the chain was complete.

With this setup (sorry it's not intuitive for a novice like me) I was able not only to play the BIAB song, but also render a .wav file.

And here's the best part.
The hiccups were gone!
So this proved that the hiccups were coming from the DXi software synth.

That's both good and bad news. It's good that I found out what the problem was.
It's bad that I now have to hook up all of this external sh_t just to render a midi file!

BIABguy
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you truly selected the term, "Render" in BiaB, it could not have created the MIDI file from the external MIDI synth, it must use a DXi or VSTi synth.

If, however, you meant by that statement that you were able to *record* the MIDI to .wav file successfully, that is what can be done.

About USB devices: Don't expect to be able to open and run BiaB first and then plug in your USB sound device. It will no get recognized by BiaB.

First always plug in the USB device and wait for your system to recognize it.

Then start up BiaB.

This is because when BiaB first opens, it looks for and then displays all the available sound devices. Bypass that and you can have problems.

Yeah, when I'm using USB device here, I often have to shut BB back down again and then hook up the USB device, then start BB again because I forgot to first have the USB device hooked up and recognized before starting BiaB...

--Mac

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

If you truly selected the term, "Render" in BiaB, it could not have created the MIDI file from the external MIDI synth, it must use a DXi or VSTi synth.

If, however, you meant by that statement that you were able to *record* the MIDI to .wav file successfully, that is what can be done.

--Mac

Actually I did truly select the term "Render" and it did create a file (a wav file, not a midi file) from the external MIDI synth.

When you go into the Render to Audio File screen you are presented with two choices for rendering:

1. DXi - Direct Render (save WAV file)
2. (Re)- Render to WAV File

In my case, since I wasn't using DXi I had to select the second choice for Rendering.

BIABguy
J
J
I believe the poster means that the "WAV" file gets stuck.

I am certain that this is a program bug... I have the same problem with BIAB 2011.

When I create a BIAB file I use either the Forte or Coyote DXI plugin together with Real Tracks and Real Drums.

The tune plays just fine in BIAB, but when you go to render a WAV file, the result is horrible!!!! Hiccup city to say the least.

I've done everything suggested (unchecked fast generation of real tracks, gotten the latest ASIO audio drivers for my ASIO USB ports (XIO 25 from M-Audio), tried different songs, reinstalled BIAB and the plugins. I also downloaded all updates... You name it, I done it!

So, I rendered a separate wav file for the solo track (sax) and, additionally, made a midi file. When I imported them both into Fruity Loops, I used the DXI plugin that came with Fruity Loops. The result was a perfect WAV file could be generated.

So, gentleman and ladies at PGMUSIC, I have been a devout customer for over 20 years and have spent thousands of dollars on your incredible products (which I love), including but not limited to the audiofile versions. Please take my word for it. There is a flaw in rendering to a WAV file when using the ASIO USB port (XIO 25). This is not a DXI problem, or computer problem. IT IS MOST LIKELY A FLAW in BIAB!

Note, I am using a Rocket Ship for a computer. The fastest i7 chip money can buy, with 7200 rpm drives and 6 gigabytes of memory. Also, 2 gigs of video memory. So, please don't be picking on my computer in your response. The quickest way to resolve the problem is to turn inward and look into your program!

Thanks in advance. I really want to be able to use the DXI/VST plugins together with Real Tracks and Drums to generate a WAV file. Is this really too much to ask?

Thanks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.