Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
A
After trying out several similar programs (ok,BIAB is a very unique program,but that does not make it necessarily the best) , I have realized a few things about BIAB.
Not everybody will agree,but here's my list of the things I'd like to see in BIAB,and the things I really dislike (ehm,hate ,actually ) about it. Let's start with what I really like about it:

1. It's an invaluable learning tool. Very educative. I am certainly no beginner in the music field,but I always like to learn. I wrote a commercial a few weeks ago by analizying a Django Reinhart tune that was feature in BIAB.
I don't claim that BIAB wrote the music,I take the credits for creating my music (in fact,this feature of BIAB even coming up with a TITLE for the tune,is a bit too much, I think!
But hey,if you don't want to use the feature,no one forces you to,right?'

2. Loads of styles and loads of add-ons. Great choice: there's a bit of everything. Classical,jazz,etc

3. A very good manual,and best of all, a stellar collection of videos,an area that even years ago,
PG Music was miles ahead even compared to Steinberg and Cakewalk,whose absolute disregard for free videos but no disregard for 'passionless' manuals always make me think these people never actually made any music.

3. You can type in the chords ! That to me was a real innovation.

4. VST and ASIO support

now,the things I really dislike about it:

1. The program is overbloated with options. Changing a zillion little things isn't the way.....
I remember that years ago,someone said this,and I disagreed with him. Sorry man! You were 120 per cent correct!

What matter is directness and speed of implementation,and a certain economy in the interface. A composer wants to get to the nitty-gritty. (who has time for everything? There's only time for the most important things. ) I think that people that have to meet schedules,would all agree that a feature is only good if it helps to stimulate inspiration and if it stimulates the user to actually write music,and bypass all the 'wordly' concerns....in other words,I want to carry out whatever operation on the program,in a few steps as possible.

I have used BIAB for years,but did I ever 'explore' all the zillions options? No,I didn't, I had other things I had to learn and deal with : harmony,etc....and I am glad I did

Writing music is ALL that matters. A clean interface stimulates concentration and clarity.
What does a good student does,when he wants to study a certain topic? (whether or not it's music).
He'll clean his desk and get rid of all the distractions. It helps to focus.

The guys at PG Music are great because they try to make their customers happy and they care about their users. It is demonstrated by the constant additions to the program. That's really great,I am not saying 'don't add features' ,but I think they should be added with great care.

2. I don't like the mixer. I don't like these numbers,I 'd like to see a row of SLIDERS and something that looks like a mixer. We want to move sliders,to change the volume,not enter numbers.

3. The Sequencer.....
God. The one on my 1989 Ensoniq SQ1 looked almost as bad. I press Seq,and that terrible little Windows thing comes up. Where are the tracks? I mean,graphical tracks?

4. The intros.....they are really lame. I think that this philosophy about making a program that 'always plays something different when you hit ,again, Play ' is a bit of a limitation. Yamaha arrangers are not as 'interactive',but the intros sound great.
I mean, this 'endless possibility' thing about BIAB always playing something different,is a bit of an illusion. I want to hear ONE intro that sounds great,not 30 of them where all that is happening,are two bars with a tonic and a dominant chord.

Don't get me wrong, BIAB is a fantastic program,and it's not to be compared to other ones,because it does his own thing. But the fact that One Man Band can import Yamaha styles (and thus great intros can be heard -and studied- ) or that the interface in Songtrix Gold is so incredibly 'musical' ,clear,clean ,and 'to the point' make that program have something unique too.
You just click on a bar and you hear the part played by that instrument. It feels like a musician is playing it because you asked. The piano roll shows events separately for each track. In BIAB, i import a midi file,I hit Piano Roll,and I see a wall of notes from all the instruments at the same time.

The mixer in Songtrix looks like a mixer.
BIAB eats Songtrix for breakfast as far as number of styles and add-ons go. The add ons are important....you are given the choice to implement something in the program,but only if you want it.

Also,Songtrix doesn't even support ASIO and VST instruments yet,although I think that the guys at Songtrix are working on it.

But I still love that interface. I wrote more music with that in a week than all the music I wrote in 6 months.

I love BIAB and this post is only intended as a contructive criticism. Obviously I am underlining the criticism more,but BIAB also has fantastic innovations that other programs can only dream about....Realtracks,for example.
BIAB is a great program and an invaluable learning tool....i just hope it will be more direct to use ,more oriented toward stimulating musical composition (I mean written by the user! )
I'd start with a cleaner interface and a mixer....

So what do you love and what you like less about BIAB ?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I understand what you are trying to say, but the problem is, for every user that hates a feature there are ten who love it. So why even discuss it, for the larger part it won't change anything, really. I personally find it easy to use, and not cluttered at all. There are many features i do not personally use, but there are many who do use those. The mixer is fine to me, as it is small and does not take up space. If I want to mix and master a song I will do it in a true sequencer, like RB, PTPA, or Sonar, or whatever floats my boat.

I realize that BiaB is not written for me, but for a large cross section of people. If you like songtrix for some purposes use it, then use BiaB for what it does you like. I use three programs regularly, BiaB, RB, and another DAW i find does the final mix better.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
There are a lot of decent points in that first post, but in the end there is ONE thing that has botherd me for years....since V4.......the endings..:(..they flat out suck, and brings down the entire program IMHO.

Listening to the Real Drums/Tracks I was hoping to finally hear some real endings....but no go. The 4 bar Intros are fine by me, and yes, you can always fade out the end. But there are times that you want and ending to stop on certain chords, etc.

I love the program, and even with the nasty endings I am still going to get the Ultra Pack for the Real Tracks. There is NO other program that does what BiaB does...a lot of copiers, but IMHO no one comes close...I just wish they would get this ending thing sorted....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am a BIAB user and a songwriter. While I am writing a song I often save different styles with the song until I finally decide on the one I will use permanently. Now I have several songs by the same title showing up on my song picker and no way to delete any of them without going through the process of using the Windows explorer which does not show me the style like it does in the song-picker so I have to bring up each song to see which style it is using. This is a lengthy process that I think could best be avoided if we could have a delete button added to the song-picker page. Please, Please, Please! Have I missed some instructions somewhere for an easier way to get those songs off my song-picker list?
Val

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
W
W
I WAS a BIAB user. It's a great program as long as you use Windows. I hate the fact that:

1) Mac users have been waiting 4+years for a new version
2) PG refuses to tell us anything about what's going on.
3) PG keeps saying 'we're working on it' but then doesn't ever release anything.
4) PG keeps selling an obsolete product for ridiculous prices without a clearly warning Mac users that it's a crippled version, out-dated version.
5) Peter rarely ever answers these kinds of posts and when he does he prefers to be as vague as possible.

Yup....

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a long time user of BIAB. I don't use any of BIAB's intros or endings. Read the manual and learn how to compose your own. As far as deleting songs, try using F3 - BB - right click what ever song you want to delete and delete. Later. Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
I cannot overstate how much I love what BiaB (and RB) does.

But by the same token, the interface is well overdue for a complete remake.

Freelance Rider Company
http://frco.wordpress.com/
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

5) Peter rarely ever answers these kinds of posts and when he does he prefers to be as vague as possible.

Well, I see it this way:

Some companies like to over promise and then under deliver.

Peter Gannon is quite the opposite.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Hard to tell for me what I don't like since I just work with it for a few days. I see lots of pro's still and not so many con's (yet). I can though after reading this see what you mean. The interface could absolutely use a make over. In those few days I found it negative ,that it has no option for spreading over two monitor screens, except for taking the screens that are floating, apart in the other screen.

I have some soundcard related trouble, but that is obviously my own setup I need to work on, but what I don't like is the fact that and that is mainly because of the many options mentioned before, I got a lot of midi in- and especially out trouble. I don't need midi out, I use some plugin for MIDI for now at least, maybe I will hook up my yamaha keys later on still, but for now I don't want to be bothered all the time for midi connections that not seem to work while I said "no midi input/output... Maybe I still need to learn more about the program, but well being an audio-engineer, I follow the ways of logic trouble shooting, but that is pretty hard if the system is not really transparant and making "studio-sense".

Last edited by abaudio; 03/19/09 08:50 PM.

I'll be back...
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
D
Hi:
I have used BB for a long time now, and I have not upgraded yet, due to 2 reasons:
1. the styles have not improved yet for DRUMS. I feel that the drums section is the weakest link of BB, for example the rolls before going to a chorus, or going back to a verse, is so limited, that it does not give the song much legitimacy.
I woould like to see the DRUMS section improved, such as an user can specify how busy the drums or vice versa will be, as well as different styles of rolls before changing verse or chorus, etc...

2. and I also wish that BB has the ability to arrange the harmony following the melody that you input in. For instance, how can we have a block chord style, if the arrangement does not know how to follow the melody. For normal arrangement, the melody should give an indication as to where to be busy, and where to be not. Based on what other plug ins and samplers can do, I think that BB can achieve this with not much difficulty.

Until then, I continue to use what I have.

Sincerely,
dan le

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Dru Offline
D
Like many here, I too, have been using BIAB for a long time (version 6 on the Mac). BIAB works for me for the type of music my band plays (love songs) but...

1. I would love to be able to start the click intro and then have the program 'hold' until signaled to start from that point. [For example - If I want the singer to sing 12 measures a cappella and have BIAB come in on the downbeat of measure 13.]

2. Fade outs would be a great addition to the Mac version of the program

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Citaat:

Like many here, I too, have been using BIAB for a long time (version 6 on the Mac). BIAB works for me for the type of music my band plays (love songs) but...

1. I would love to be able to start the click intro and then have the program 'hold' until signaled to start from that point. [For example - If I want the singer to sing 12 measures a cappella and have BIAB come in on the downbeat of measure 13.]

2. Fade outs would be a great addition to the Mac version of the program

The fade outs I just have been reading is still possible. There is a very recent topic about it. I copied it here for you:
help for fades

I'll be back...
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I agree ( if anyone actually said this) that its all about the interface. Dont add a host of new features like triple harmony auto generate, just give us a clean easy interface this will do the basics -- generate a credible intro, let you tweek the middle chourses easily, and generate a credible ending. That's it! Do it in a very simple interface that works like a wizard. Keep the complex stuff for those who want it but dont force people who are more muscian than computer head to use it to get good results.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Quote:

the interface is well overdue for a complete remake.

As stated a while back, + 1

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
E
Expert
Expert
E
Greetings all,

This topic comes up every so often. I would first like to say I admire Peter Gannon and PG music company for the way they treat their customers......

A. Loads of help here at the forum (No nasty vibes either.....nice!)

B. Live help (How many companies do this for free?)

C. NO COPY PROTECTION!!! (If I had 1 $ for every problem Ive had trying to authorize other software, Id be rich!)

D. Great upgrade packages.

I first bought BIAB in 1990 for the Atari. BIAB has changed dramatically in that time. In my opinion, here is what needs to happen to make BIAB better:

1. A new GUI, the current GUI is dated, confusing and WAY to busy.
2. I still am not happy with the midi timing in BIAB, it was rock solid on the Atari, I blame the Windows OS for this, still, it should be possible. And at least 480-990 PPQ please.
3. BIAB needs multiple VST support. I would love to use Ivory, Trilogy & BFD at the same time for example.
4. Rewire support. It would be so cool to use BIAB with Reason.
5. The notation is still Ïffy............Take a look at Sibelius or Finale. Although the lead sheet print out is good, the whole Triplet swing issue is annoying.
6. Intro´s and Endings really need a makeover.
7. Serious updates are needed for the Sequencer and Mixer. Take a look at Logic, Pro Tools or Sonar, it would be great to get some of these features into BIAB.
8. Update the PROCESS of making new styles. The current method is confusing and difficult.
9. Real Tracks: Vocals (Uu´s, Ahh´s) String lines, Be Bop soloists, Funk and Rock Horns, etc.

And, a BIG thank you to Peter and Co. for finally beta testing and bringing out the new Mac version. Can´t wait to use it!!!

My 2 cents,
Ed

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Take a look at Logic, Pro Tools or Sonar PRICE$ too...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
I love the program and use it on a near daily basis.

I love the price. I think the program is easily the biggest software bargain that I use.

I hate the endings.

The harder I work the luckier I get.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Hate" is such a strong word.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I am always confused by the request for making BiaB more like Logic, protools, and Sonar. First off it is nothing like them period, it is an autoarrangment software, they are sequencers. Those other softwares do very little of what Biab does, so to me it is not important to have Biab do much of what they do.

Isn't that the job of powertracks and now Real Band? to grow into a competitor of the big name DAWs? In my opinion the only thing holding both RB and PTPA from being a direct competitor of Sonar, or Logic is the fact it is a bit behind in VSTi implimentation.

As far as multiple VSTi output that might be nice for the play live crowd with BiaB. To be able to use better synths would help, but i would hate to see it head directly toward the full DAW market. I like the fact that it does what it does. I have four different DAW programs on my system for tracking, one RB allows me to send BiaB files directly over and add what i want to them.

When you go to forums like Sonar, or Logic, one of the biggest complaints is that the programs are becoming so big and bloated that the are not stable. With all that Biab does not to add Something like Sonar into it, would be to me a kiss of death.

I would rather see what can become of RB for the next two or three years, and let BiaB make some samll tweaks for the time being.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
Quote:

"Hate" is such a strong word.

The endings generated by Biab are so weak compared to the rest of the program that I think the wording is appropriate.

The harder I work the luckier I get.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I don't hate the endings. But, three times out of five, I have to seriously rework them, and one of the other times I have to add something to cover a problem.

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
As do we all, filkertom.

But I ain't wastin' any of my time and resources on hatin' things nor people.

--Mac

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

As do we all, filkertom.

But I ain't wastin' any of my time and resources on hatin' things nor people.

--Mac

Roger that, Mac. Sorry I haven't been around much lately -- how you been?

Best,
Tom Smith
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Ah'm feelin' good enuff to stir up trubble now 'n again, my friend.

You?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Vertical and conscious. Physically I'm pretty much recovered, although since I was practically handicapped before I hurt my leg that ain't saying much. I'm trying to get Medicaid and SocSec disability income; we'll see how those go. Musically, I'm not yet really back in the groove -- even the smallest projects are tough to get started, and the larger ones I want to do aren't inspiring me right now. But all will work out, and performing is still a blast.

Best,
Tom Smith
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,692
Posts736,082
Members38,542
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
KWADWO FRIMPONG, hcginjections2024, carloncho, jofigueroajr, Zunzez
38,541 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 173