Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi,

yesterday I received an e-mail from someone I had contacted to see if she was interested in recording any of my songs. I gave her a link to where I have 49 of my songs posted and this is a copy and paste of her exact reply... "Oh my goodness - these songs are great! I would love to record some of these!! I am still listening to some of them but after I pick a few out I will email you what they are and we can go from there!"

Could someone point me to an article with {or give me} very specific advice on what my first steps should be if she gets back to me. The songs are all mine but I don't have a publisher or anything like that {I can't find one}. I'm not looking for generalities, as they are often a little confusing, but rather a 1 2 3 type of thing if that even exists.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cavemann

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't have any specific advice for you -- but if that person asks for money to produce a demo in their studio, then it might be a scam. Might not be, but it is probably be a good idea to be skeptical. ... And to google info on this person/company (if there is a company involved).

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Kemmrich.

There's a lot of people out there taking advantage of aspiring songwriters. The internet now makes it a whole heap easier to investigate the legitimacy of these people.

If this was me and money was involved, I'd run a song or two past a professional songwriter/performer for a second opinion before committing myself to anything. One such person is Craig Bickhardt. He will give you detailed feedback on songs. He's a Nashville songwriter and has had a few number 1 hits. He knows his stuff. I regularly have songs critiqued by him and found his input very valuable. Be blunt, ask him specific questions, e.g. if it's worth getting demos done, etc. His site is...

http://www.craigbickhardt.com

Once there, you'll need to follow the resources for songwriters link.

One of the toughest things that faces us songwriters is the ability to be objective about our own work. I always get at least five professional opinions on any of my songs before I even consider putting them in the demo queue

Good luck with your songs
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 01/26/09 04:19 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the warnings, I found this contact through Songwriter 101. At this point I have no doubt about her sincerity, just trying to find out what the usual first steps are, are there standard contracts, should I wait for contact from her agent or stuff like that.

As for the money aspect, I have none. I'm not interested in spending a fortune on demos for something that's as subjective as 'what's a good song'. I am constantly looking for someone interested in recording a song or two, but if they can't get a feel for what I've posted then they're not what I'm looking for.

This woman has a band that is looking for material since she is not a writer herself.

This is what she has to choose from http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=803693&content=music

Cavemann

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If she's recording for her purposes - to sell CDs, etc., then you should look at getting a contract organised. You're entitled to some income from sales.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
I strongly suggest that you REGISTER your original songs. You have an 'automatic' copyright when recorded or when put into written form, but you need to protect your work. Registration sets a specific date for the work in case someone tries to rip off your masterpiece. This is invaluable if you sue for copyright infringement, etc.

There are several reliable sites which provide this service. If you don't mind the bureaucratic mish-mash, you can apply for registration with the US Gov.--however, this process can take several months for the Gov to get the docs back to you. It is pretty cheap: $35.00 for a bunch of lyrics, etc. You can check it out.

Fire, the wheel, and the I IV V -- foundations of civilization.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Talk to a lawyer, particularly a lawyer who specializes in copyrights, and the music industry. Seek professional advice to protect your intellectual property. If your songs are that good, then it's worth the money you will spend to get that advice on how to deal with this situation.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
On a good day and with a strong tail wind I'm still more than a day's travel to the nearest place that might have an english lawyer specializing in the music industry. I'm not sure how to take that extra step. I'm pretty isolated.

Cavemann

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A book that you should get hold of that will explain all you need to know is The Craft And Business of Songwriting by John Braheny.

I've just had a look and there are some cheap, secondhand copies on www.amazon.com. This book is split into two halves. The first half covers the craft of wiritng songs, the second half covers things like publishing, song contracts, copyright, etc. (all the business-side of things). It's well worth getting a copy. I have an old copy presently on loan to a friend.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You may be able to schedule a phone consultation with an entertainment attorney then have them fax or mail you the contracts. It's not that expensive - likely won't take but a couple or three billed hours - and worth it. But I'd wait until I knew more from her end. What songs, when record session, distribution etc.

For the time being you can save money by registering your songs as a compilation through the copyright office.

Meanwhile you should read up on the biz and that's a good book.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey cave dweller if yer songs are like that one starts

UGA UGA chucka whatever that was covered LoL ....

Our cave dwellers come out about the start of Feb to check the shadow and decide on getting out and about or going back to sleep.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
You don't really need an attorney to REGISTER your songs. In most civilized countries you have a copyright on your original works as soon as they are written down or recorded--this is under the relatively new international copyright laws.

Registering your work is simply a way to put a legal time stamp on it showing the date that it was created. If someone else subsequently claims your work as theirs, then you have legal proof of the date the work was created by you.

An attorney is certainly advised if you intend to sue someone for a copyright violation of any of your original works, but you better have some legally binding proof of the date that the work was created by you: registration!

Note that sending an envelope containing your creation to yourself is foolish, as this method has never held up in any court of law anywhere. There are several web sites which will register your work at a pretty reasonable price. One I like is songregistration.com. as it's maintained by some experienced lawyers.

In any event, get your stuff registered if you believe it's good enough. There are a LOT of slimey folks in the music biz. I'm not talking about the musicians, but the A&R and promoters, etc. Protect yourself.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sure an attorney is not needed, but here in the states, a "weak" copyright, is not going to hold up in court. Registering with the copyright office will. There is wisdom in getting all things in writing. As axegrider01 says, you need legally binding proof.

Some promote mailing an envelope to yourself, or using the time stamp of the internet or websites. But all these things can be altered, faked, or argued. Nothing works better than a registered copyright.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
J
JEP Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
And songregistration.com is of course ok? If the music biz is full of "slimey folks", why not set up a site, make starry eyes musicians pay, and sell the best stuff themselves?

- Jepster

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
SASE and registered mail to yourself and any of that kind of hoopla won't even make it to deposition.

Register with the copyright office.

Period.

--Mac

Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
Registering with the US copyright office is fine, and it's pretty cheap if done online. However, there are a LOT of pages to scroll through, and it's a time consuming affair at best. Also note that it may well be 6 months or more to get any confirmation back from them on your submissions. There is a disclaimer on the US copyright office website which specifically states that you are NOT granted a copyright by submitting a request to them--that is done automatically when the work is recorded, published, or written down, etc.

To Jep...songregistration.com is a very reputable site. I did a lot of research on this stuff, and could find no negative information concerning them at all. Remember, all they do is provide a legally binding 'time stamp' for any work submitted. They do this virtually immediately, unlike the US copyright office, which usually takes months to confirm your submission, if they don't reject it for some arcane reason. Note the US copyright office will keep your money in any event...I must say that the one big advantage of the US copyright office is that you can submit and entire 'album' online for the price of a single song, so it's pretty cheap [ $35.00 online, I believe ].

The bottom line here is that however you decide to do it, PROTECT YOUR CREATIONS! There are some very talented folks posting their stuff in these forums, and it would be a crime and a shame if those great works were hijacked.

Off-Topic
J
JEP Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
Thanks for you reply, Axegrinder. I've got nothing against songregistration.com. I hadn't even heard about the site before you mentioned it. If they are able to secure one's property rapidly, they no doubt fill an important function in a high-speed internet environment. Thanks for pointing that out.

- Jepster

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,663
Posts735,569
Members38,532
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77, William L
38,532 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 163