Print Thread
Go To
#132056 10/27/11 12:13 PM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Anyone have any experience with the Korg PA-588. I'm looking for a new arranger keyboard, and love the idea of 88 keys with [what's advertised as] real piano-like keys. The sound samples on the web sound great and there's a lot of features for the price, but was curious if anyone had any experience with it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #132057 10/27/11 12:22 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Gary Curran knows the Korg line well.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
jford #132058 10/27/11 11:29 PM
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

.... and love the idea of 88 keys with [what's advertised as] real piano-like keys.

I'm not familiar with that model, but I really like the sound of the korgs. Sounds like you know what you want, but just in case this is your first weighted keyboard, I would highly suggest you try a weighted keyboard first. They're great for piano sounds, both electric and acoustic, but not so good for almost everything else. Good organ playing is virtually impossible with weighted keys imo. On the other hand, piano playing is pretty easy to adjust to on a good simi weighted keyboard. Again, I don't know your history, so I'm mentioning this just in case.

I just wish the price wasn't so high on these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2gptBlabEA&feature=related

jim111 #132059 10/28/11 10:32 AM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Jim -

I already have a Kurzweil Mark 10 Digital Piano in my living room and it has weighted keys, which I actually prefer. I'm a piano player, not an organ player and prefer the heavier feel of weighted keys. But I like that this instrument has all the other sounds, styles, and features, but like a piano. While still heavy, I can still take it with me. The Kurzweil takes several folks to lift, so it stays in the living room.

I was just hoping someone here had some experience with it and could tell me any pros and cons. I also considered the PA800, but i like the fact that the PA588 has 88 keys and plays more like a piano.

Hopefully some folks can respond.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

jford #132060 10/28/11 09:41 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
I have the PA800. Great sounds. The sounds that you hear on Korg's website are direct out of the keyboard with nothing in between.

For piano playing the weighted 88 keys would be great, but I tend to agree with Jim, if you're going to do any sort of other instrument playing, a non-weighted or semi-weighted keyboard is preferable.

Having said that, I think I prefer the piano sounds of the Yamaha Tyros over that of the Korg. Yamaha has always done piano sounds right.

THe PA800 has some very wonderful sounds, and with the DNC, or Dynamic Nuance Control, they're even better. RX is Real eXperience sounds, and give a more live feel, but you're still dealing with sampled sounds.

Of course, you might also consider the new PA3X, which has a 76 key semi-weighted keyboard, which gives you a lot of space for piano playing, the semi-weighted keyboard for playing other instrument sounds, as well as a full set of features for song writing and public performance.

Good luck to you!

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
jford #132061 10/29/11 06:09 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi jford,

**If you live anywhere near one of the big music emporiums, such as Guitar Sinner, you should see if they happen to have the target keyboard on display where you can play it and audition it for yourself.

**As far as the weighted keyboard playing patches other than piano patches, which can be problematic, I solve that problem on gigs by using a second 61-note controller keyboard that has the typical nonweighted "organ" type keys and jack its MIDI output into the Input of the main 88 key weighted synth's MIDI input. By programming the two boards such that the smaller keyboard sends on only one desired channel, you can have the Piano on the main deck while having, say, the organ or strings patch from the big piano on the smaller deck at the same time. Doesn't necessarily have to be a dedicated Controller only situation, I've used older keyboards that have built in synths but just ignore the built in synth in the little keyboard, using it solely as a Controller for the newer 88 key unit.

--Mac

Mac #132062 10/29/11 08:48 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John, I have the Pa1xPro arranger and love it. The newer Pa2x is essentially the same as the Pa800 but with 76 keys and no built in speakers. I've played a Pa800 and the sounds are really good. Since you already have that Kurzweil you may think the Korg's pianos are not quite there but I'm picky also and I think they're pretty good even the ones on my older Pa1x.

Two forums for you to haunt are the Korg one that you can access right from Korgs PA website and Synthzone's General Arranger forum. There's lots of opinions of course but generally a lot of folks like the Korgs because they have more and more varied styles than Yamaha or Roland has. Plus people talk about how much easier it is to create your own styles plus the sequencer is much better in the Korgs. That may or may not matter to you. Other features can favor one over the other but for gigging players, a lot of folks including me love the Korgs. One friend of mine uses a Roland G70 and I like it a lot but we both think my Korg has slightly better styles and slightly better overall sound. He's even told me when he upgrades he may get the new Korg Pa3.

The Pa588 from what I've read is somewhere between the Pa500 and 800 but with 88 keys. Sounds like a winner to me for what you need.

Just had a thought, give me the names of some songs you like and I'll do up some MP3's from my Korg and send them to you. If you like them then I suspect the Pa588 would be slighty better soundwise.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 10/29/11 08:56 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #132063 10/29/11 05:10 PM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow thanks for the offer. Instead of a song list I would be happy hearing something with solo flute, solo trumpet, solo acoustic guitar, brass section and grand piano. Those are the instruments I use most.

John

jford #132064 10/29/11 11:49 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
There are several demos built into the PA800, these are the same demos that are on Korg's website, but I recorded them directly out of my keyboard so you can hear that there is no difference.

The only thing that I've done to the wave form is in some areas I've increased the volume by 3dB to bring it up so it's easier to hear.

File size is about 22MB.

http://www.catsmeowcafe.com/Music/PA800Demo.mp3

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #132065 10/30/11 05:54 AM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cool, thanks Gary. I just listened to a little bit and it sounds great. Gotta head to church now, though, so I'll listen more when I get back. Thanks again.

John

jford #132066 10/30/11 07:41 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You've got mail. I don't use a web service for posting stuff so I just sent it to you.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #132067 10/31/11 06:47 AM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi, Bob -

I received it and so far everything sounds really good. I'm very impressed by the Korg sounds and the instrument articulations. Very cool.

Thanks also to Gary for his submission of the sounds. I've listened through once and will put my headphones on at work and go through a few more times.

The 588 is looking better every day.

John

jford #132068 10/31/11 10:13 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just took a closer look at the PA588 on a couple of websites and while I can't find a pic that I can blow up to the point I can actually read the control buttons, there's a lot of missing stuff on that 588 that I have on my Pro model. First, I have 9 drawbars and at least twice the number of style select buttons on the left and sound select buttons on the right but the biggest thing to me is no STS buttons at the bottom of the screen. STS is Single Touch Settings and those are what I used to switch between the trumpet, guitar, sax and organ patches when I did Coming Home for you. The PA800 has those as well so those demo's that Gary sent you may not be too relevant either. STS is the heart of my keyboard for live playing. It's what allows the player to completely change up the patches while the song is playing with no glitches. Without it you have to fumble around hitting the touchscreen, navigating to the soundbank, picking another lead instrument all the while you're trying to play the tune. Just sitting in your living room, you may not care about that but this is a heads up.

It seems like the basic overall sound of the 588 could be the same as my Pro and they talk about having a better piano sample from their home digital piano unit but those demo's I sent you may be deceiving, there's lots of missing controllers and maybe some of the styles I used are not there either. It could be that while it has sounds from the Pro, it doesn't have all of them like that cool flute I used on Ipanema.

I'll be happy to help you out further if more questions develop.

Bob

jford #132069 10/31/11 10:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
I remind you that the sound clip that I put together are professionally sequenced tracks that are the factory demos, and hence projects what a pro can do with this keyboard. They in no way reflect what *I* can do with the keyboard.

Gary

Gary Curran #132070 10/31/11 11:39 AM
Off-Topic
jford Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
@Gary -

Yep, figured that it was the demos, but it still shows what the keyboard can do. The sounds are really cool.

@Bob -

The description of the keyboard includes the following:

Quote:

Need to switch sounds fast? STS (Single Touch Setting) buttons allow you to have up to four sounds split and layered across the keyboard and switch them all instantly with a single button press. Four STS assignments can be saved independently for each Style. Each of the 256 Performance settings can instantly recall the Style, Sounds, effects, tempo, key and scale used to perform a particular song.

I presume that's what you are talking about.

You can see all the other features here and the product details here.

I realize the 588 will have fewer features than the 800, but I suspect a lot of that is represented in the fact that the PA-800 costs $700 more than the PA-588.

John

jford #132071 10/31/11 02:01 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
Nice thing about the PA800 and PA588 is that the STS buttons are actually ON the touchscreen, and furthermore, they're actually labeled, unlike the PA1X Pro and the PA80. So, you know that when you're reaching for the piano sound instead of the sax sound, because you forgot which button was which.

The display is customize-able to allow you to display that page you want. Mine usually sits on the STS page, which to me, is kind of like the 'Home Page.'

The four sounds layered across the keyboard is kind of a misnomer. In Style Play mode, you can split the keyboard into upper and lower sections and then have one sound on the lower, and layer up to three sounds on the upper half of the keyboard. So, you could have two grand pianos, offset by an octave on the upper, with a set of strings behind them, and an organ pad on the lower half of the keyboard.

One other thing that I don't use, because I don't play live, is the Performance capability of the keyboard. It's possible for you to set up and save your own Performances, hundreds of them. They can save styles, keysplits, sounds (patches), a complete STS system, style variations, pad assignments, and most anything else the keyboard can do. Just select the Performance you want and everything gets loaded.

Another nice thing about the PA588 is the Songbook capability. You can save settings, backing sequences, even MIDI files for a particular song. Press the Songbook feature and scroll to that song and choose it, and everything is ready to go. If the song includes a MIDI file, that file will get loaded into the on board sequencer, and you can play the file from Song Play mode, and play along with it. Gives you a full BIAB orchestrated background, saved as a midi file, with all the patches and such of the PA588 playing, and all you need to do is play your part.

The PA800, and I believe the PA588 each have TWO built in sequencers, which allow you to have two different songs loaded at the same time, and you can start the second as the first is ending, and then crossfade to the second one.

A LOT of capability built into these keyboards.

Gary

Gary Curran #132072 10/31/11 03:39 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Aha, that's where the STS buttons are, on the screen itself. Even though the STS sounds are labeled and that's cool, there's still 3 upper sounds and 1 or 2 of them are usually muted so that's where you can go in and set that up exactly the way you want for any particular song. So when I was playing those different solo instruments I had 3 to choose from inside each STS. Once you have that all dialed in like Gary says there's a lot to these keyboards.

It looks like the entire sound engine is based on the Pa2/PA500 series and that's quite a bit better than mine. I do have the TC Helicon vocal processor plus I have 10 style and 10 sound buttons and it looks like the 588 has 8 each so maybe it doesn't have the same number of styles and sounds but it still has a lot, or maybe they simply consolidated some of them and it has the same or more. I don't think you would be disappointed at all.

Bob

jazzmammal #132073 10/31/11 05:35 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,
I sent you a PM.

Gary

Gary Curran #132074 11/02/11 06:11 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
And to think it all "started" with the PA-80...cough, cough...!

Even put a hard-disk in it myself, and I still love the ol' thing's super sounds...

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
GDaddy #132075 11/02/11 12:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, GD, it started with the i3, which totally blew me away when I first heard it. My first keyboard was an ix300, and then I moved to the PA80, and now have the PA800, and would, as I said, love to have a PA3X.

Gary

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.