Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#138973 - 12/07/11 08:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: Cerio]
alan S. Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Scotland
I wonder if the 2012 edition has managed to fix certain bugs I flagged up in the past. Like minor riffs playing over Maj7b5 chords. Or the shell voicing option in the style wizard .. just two that come to mind.

My feeling is that certain wish list items will be taken up.. as long as they don't involve any serious re-write of the midi engine. That's why I think requests like 8 chords to the bar or the ability to add/define new chords to the database stand next to no chance of ever being implemented no matter how often they come up.

That being said I still enjoy using the program for what it is.

Regards

Alan

#138974 - 12/07/11 08:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: alan S.]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
regarding the request for more configurable menus:

as I watched the 2012 new features video it occurred to me that while other music software companies are making their menus more configurable, BIAB is all about making the MUSIC configurable.

#138975 - 12/07/11 10:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: Cerio]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Cerio,
I have to share your position on the points you made. It was good that you pointed out these issues such as the Real tracks not looking at the phrases as a whole but in chunks even so much as lose its musical bearings as it hits off notes and the like as well as the screen refresh issues like when you are changing repeats and the like. I get disoriented because once the repeat is added the entire chord window changes.

Like you, I agree that this is a very good product. And I endorse it to any of my students that have gotten to the level where i feel they can navigate it. However, like you said, it would be wise to do a cleanup to make the UI more manageable. There needs to be consideration given to making the UI more user friendly. And sometimes less is more in most instances. I do like what MS has done with the Ribbon concept. It is one way to make options available in categories and yet, remove much of what I call "screen noise" in that of blinding arrays of buttons and text.

However, I do like the roll over offering definitions and examples of the button or option you are considering using. That is a very intuitive feature and has helped me a lot.

And yes, I too, would love to see tracks go into the Funk, and more selections for Latin outside of the jazz options. I agree that as I am pitching this to a younger audience it would be wise for the developers to consider in order to sustain over time they are going to need to consider the genres that pique their interests too. There will come a time where my interests in jazz and rock will take a back seat to another hybrid of styles.

It looks like I will need to continue waiting before my next upgrade as these issues have not been addressed in the current version. Bummer.

#138976 - 12/07/11 10:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: RickeG]
PeterGannon Offline
PG Music Staff

>>> The new video that has been just released has convinced me. Great video! Seeing the new features in action give you another completely different perspective about them and their enourmous posibilites than just reading a list of new features. The Easy selection of Drum Grooves, the support of Loops and (specially) the new Individual MIDI Tracks and its built-in MIDI Tracks Finder are going to be a big help to me, a real a time saver. My god, I need to upgrade RIGHT NOW!!!

Glad to hear it Cerio! Yes, Tobin @ PG Music did a great job with the video!

>> (Btw, could anybody delete my first post here
Sure. I'll keep the thread alive, and just delete the first post.

#138977 - 12/08/11 12:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: PeterGannon]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I too am a little disappointed. I wanted the software to allow me to pretend to play, and fix all the bad notes. Sadly I'm still capable of the bad notes and have to live with that.

I played a b natural about 8 times this afternoon while the whole group was on B flat, and I got it for the last verse. I had a horn with the bell facing my wife and I'm sure she was traumatized. What to do? She had every level of piano, then 5 years of music and 1 of education, and I took timber scaling. Bad decision on my part, but I can tell you how many board feet in a white pine sawlog. Great talent that. (Or not).

#138978 - 12/08/11 04:19 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: rikkisbears]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Hi
what I'd luv to see is some sort of database with song titles & suggested styles that work with it. ( even if it's not part of the program)
The style picker with it's song examples is good, but it takes me forever to go thru the styles till I find one that works, and I'm always thinking there might be a better choice than the one I'm using.

I've often thought the same thing, but... consider the flexible music system that BIAB is... we can apply any style to any song and get a totally fresh version of it! So, in the final analysis, almost every style could be used in every song, depending on the arrangement!

But if you're talking about finding the most suitable style for a cover song, I'm sure a lot of people would like the same thing. Might be a good group project, because its usefulness would grow exponentially if many people participated in making it a dynamic list.

I'm not sure of the best way to execute it. Maybe we could start with a group brainstorm? .

#138979 - 12/08/11 07:30 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: John Conley]
alan S. Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

I too am a little disappointed. I wanted the software to allow me to pretend to play, and fix all the bad notes. Sadly I'm still capable of the bad notes and have to live with that.

I played a b natural about 8 times this afternoon while the whole group was on B flat, and I got it for the last verse. I had a horn with the bell facing my wife and I'm sure she was traumatized. What to do? She had every level of piano, then 5 years of music and 1 of education, and I took timber scaling. Bad decision on my part, but I can tell you how many board feet in a white pine sawlog. Great talent that. (Or not).

B natural against Bb would be okay in some contexts! Might not sound good on a Christmas Carol ..maybe a cover version by Albert Ayler or John Coltrane. They'd surely find a way to make it fit!

Regards

Alan

#138980 - 12/08/11 07:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: John Conley]
alan S. Offline
Journeyman

Incidentally talking about fixing bad notes, here's a link to a program that's taken BIAB's Wizard Playalong feature to the next level. If it's half as good as its cracked up to be it might be worth an investment.

Hotz Midi Translator

What it shows once again is that PG could, if it chose to, develop the midi side of BIAB to new heights. It still has a much larger database of midi styles than Real Tracks even if it hasn't released any new ones for some time. Time to catch up now on what is still possible with midi I'd have thought.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alan S. (12/08/11 07:45 AM)

#138981 - 12/10/11 12:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: Pat Marr]
rikkisbears Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Australia
Hi Pat,
that would be wonderful, if we could get anybody interested.

I sort of lost track of this thread, there's so much activity on the site at the moment, it's hard to keep up. haahaa

Quote:

Quote:

Hi
what I'd luv to see is some sort of database with song titles & suggested styles that work with it. ( even if it's not part of the program)
The style picker with it's song examples is good, but it takes me forever to go thru the styles till I find one that works, and I'm always thinking there might be a better choice than the one I'm using.

I've often thought the same thing, but... consider the flexible music system that BIAB is... we can apply any style to any song and get a totally fresh version of it! So, in the final analysis, almost every style could be used in every song, depending on the arrangement!

But if you're talking about finding the most suitable style for a cover song, I'm sure a lot of people would like the same thing. Might be a good group project, because its usefulness would grow exponentially if many people participated in making it a dynamic list.

I'm not sure of the best way to execute it. Maybe we could start with a group brainstorm? .

BIAB 2015
Korg PA3X
Yamaha s950
Korg PA800

#138982 - 12/10/11 04:38 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: rikkisbears]
Journeyman

Loc: london
I actually found very strange the inclusion of Amplitube. It's a useful vst if you want to record your guitar, but why would anyone choose a realtrack DI guitar with Amplitube rather than a realtrack with the recording from a real tube amp. I much prefer the latter, but hey...

#138983 - 12/10/11 04:44 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: alan S.]
Journeyman

Quote:

I too am a little disappointed. I wanted the software to allow me to pretend to play, and fix all the bad notes.

I like to think that Biab is a program for musicians. B natural will sound good over Bb only if you know what you are doing, e.g. will sound good on top of a B7...

sorry I am just tired to hear of people who pretend that they can make music by pressing buttons. If you want to be a musician, put some work in it, learn to play, and THEN use a program like Biab.

Biab is a tool, an aid to make quick demos, not some sort of virtual superbrain that will fix your shortcomings as a musician.

Sorry for the though love, but it's time for reality check, people. Stop pretending and get real, making music is fun if you want to sing a song with your friends, but if you want to MAKE music, you have to put your backside in gear, no ifs and no buts.

That said, PG Music made a great job with this program, and the new features are making me seriously consider the upgrade.

#138984 - 12/10/11 05:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: avatars_the_titletrack]
JBlue7 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Glos. England
Hi All,
I'm certainly glad I waited for the video demo of the new features, especially the Amplitude VST proceedure. Usually I plunge ahead and take ages trying to work things out. Anyway loving the new features and now my Studio is virtually computer based the Guitar/Amplitude gives me so many more possabilities when creating backing tracks for my own songs.

Yes I agree with avatars my BAND [biab] as I call it, is only another tool, albeit a fantastic one to make your own music or just play with. I would soon get bored if I was just using BAND to create songs without any real input from myself from Sonar mixing, my keyboard, guitar & vocal. Although you can make an instant song in a few minutes it takes a lot of time and effort to create a song of your own from scratch. Not being a natural musician, over the years BAND has taught me so much, especially about music theory, it's a great tool and I am sure everyone uses it differently, the main thing is to enjoy what you do and hopefully get that buzz from the results.
I've only scratched the surface of everything band contains as I guess most of us as with my other software I just use what we need to to get a job done.
Upgrade is well worth it, for me anyway......
Regards. Jeff

#138985 - 12/10/11 05:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: Beagle]
Journeyman

Quote:

Cerio,
I would argue, however, that BIAB is not a full fledged sequencer like Cubase and doesn't claim to be.

why not? Realband was made to offer Cubase-like functionality plus the Biab accompaniment. They are all sequencers. They are all program that allow you to record MIDI or audio and edit it. Never understood this dumb stigma where basically someone says with the nose up in the air: 'uh, no, if it's not Cubase 513b then I don't feel professional enough'

I still use Cubase, mainly because I have my older projects on it. Cubase LE version 1, paid 15 bucks used. Would never spend more than that on it, but on Biab I have no problem spending some money on.

#138986 - 12/10/11 05:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: Cerio]
Journeyman

Quote:

Quote:

You complain about the undo, etc...that's ridicolous, I remember when it wasn't even there.

Honestly, I don't see your point, but well

I don't see your point either....so far I have had no problem with the undo, I don't have a problem with the interface and with 80 per cent of the things you mentioned. My problem about Biab has always been the chord recognition (uncalled for alterations, extensions, etc, even with the options disabled) and the fact that there isn't a MIDI software module that can match the quality of a Ketron SD2 at the very least, without spending a small fortune on a MIDI module.

As for everything else, I can live with it. I don't care about the interface, to me this is trivial stuff, it's unimportant. Who cares? I actually don't want the stuff moved around in a new interface. It takes time to learn your way around such a complex program (and Biab is COMPLEX because it has all these options).
I don't want a new interface. I still use Windows XP and I will keep using it, I don't care about Windows Hasta La Vista or the new 137 bit graphic design and don't have time to waste with learning new crap...life is really too short to worry too much about every single thing computer. What matters are the results, i.e. the music I write. I want to make music happen. I don't care about all the rest.

So far to me the new version offers notable (for me) improvements: I am very curious as how the 'simpler arrangement' works, hope that Biab reads my chord progressions with 100 per cent accuracy without anything extra unless I specify it. This feature only will be reason enough for me to buy the upgrade. A mixer has been added. Yeeeeeh! I was tired sick of that slot machine thing.

Hope you see my point a little better...

#138987 - 12/10/11 06:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: A little bit disappointed with BIAB 2012 [Re: avatars_the_titletrack]
JBlue7 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Glos. England
Hi All,
Yes I agree again Avatar. The interface is not important to me either and the mixer is still a little primitive although I do most of mixing eventually in Sonar so not too important and everything works perfectly on my W7 PC. Been using biab since the mid 80's and I'd be kind of lost if they changed it and don't want to spend time learning where everything is again. A lot of software new versions and upgrades these days are released claiming new version's or upgrades but it's the same old thing in the disguise of a new pretty [questionably easier to use] interface, same with websites. One way of making money I guess.

I think if I have a moan at all with the new upgrade it would be the fact that it seems you now have to buy the bonus paks to obtain all the available new realtracks/drums, I hope not a new trend. I do think it ought to be included in the upgrade even if it cost just a little more in the first place. I had to add mine later not realising this at the time.

Regards. Jeff

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26735 Members
50 Forums
48995 Topics
400433 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
PasUser, zeuxis, dsalbani, axeman49, Jim Psm

26734 Registered Users