You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#144633 - 01/02/12 02:41 AM [Off-Topic] Midi controller
critter Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
Instead of using the old Korg O1w-fd I am thinking of a midi controller, anyone have an idea what to get around the $100.00 range, have been looking at M-audio stuff. Just need the basic controller for inputting Garritan JABB stuff. Need one that works with windows 7. Also one that doesn't have problems loading with Biab etc. Thanks

#144634 - 01/02/12 06:42 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: critter]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I'd check Craig's list first to see what's available. There seems to be an endless supply of people who needed the best instrument a year ago, but now they'd rather have a fraction of its value in cash.

#144635 - 01/02/12 08:36 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: Pat Marr]
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
Critter, why would you not want to use the Korg as a controller? Its got velocity, after-touch, its capable of SysEx, local on and off, can support up to 16 channels, bank changes and has midi in/out and through. Coupled with BIAB / RT or another DAW you should be all set. I work with Garritan GPO and JABB, using a Yamaha DX7 II, and it controls everything just fine. What specifically are you trying to do?
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k@4.6Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB current builds, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 3.7

#144636 - 01/03/12 12:00 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: MountainSide]
critter Offline
Journeyman

First, it would be a long usb run, at least 15ft. and I've read that usb cords should be no more than 5ft.
Second, I have to get an midi to usb cable, another usb cable and junction to conect the two, and I just figured it would be cheaper just to get a midi controller I can put right in front of the monitor on my desk. The way things are arranged in my music room there is no way to rearrange anything. I figure it would be cheaper and more effective to spend $100.00 to just get the controller.

#144637 - 01/03/12 07:53 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: critter]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

First, it would be a long usb run, at least 15ft. and I've read that usb cords should be no more than 5ft.

I've got a 12 foot USB cord for one of my keyboatds, never been a problem. Kind of difficult to find a USB cord that long, though.

But if you consider that you can use standard MIDI cables to go from a USB adaptor to a keyboard, then the MIDI cables can be the longer part of the necessary run. I've run standard MIDI cables from the stage all the way back to the sound booth in some rather large venues, not a problem.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#144638 - 01/03/12 08:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: Mac]
MountainSide Offline
Expert

Loc: Lake Keowee, South Carolina
Critter, I'm running a 15 foot USB cable with no problems. Mac is right though, I would recommend that you find it on-line as the local Radio Shack is less likely to have one that long. I still think that you would save money going USB and, more importantly, have a much better system by using the more capable Korg rather than a $100 controller.
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k@4.6Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB current builds, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.8, SampleTank 3.7

#144639 - 01/03/12 11:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: MountainSide]
critter Offline
Journeyman

Well I guess I will use the old beast, I have tons of midi cables around two for sure are long enough at least 20ft. which I used before with my midi patch bay. I will try and find a midi to usb connecter and update progress in the future. Thanks

#144640 - 01/04/12 06:18 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: critter]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Critter,
I can't answer your original question, but I can add something about the 'why' part of it. I have a couple of multi-thousand dollar keyboards, and an 88 key weighted Yamaha stage piano, and I'm now looking for a small 49 or 61 key controller!

Why?

Because although my main keyboard is not more than 8' away from me, when I sit at it, the computer is behind me, and it's a PITA to turn around and see everything on the screens, as well as reaching for stuff.

So, a small controller can be put on my computer table, or right in front of it, and I can enter melodies and stuff from there. So, yeah, I understand your need.

Gary

#144641 - 01/04/12 11:22 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Midi controller [Re: Gary Curran]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
I've used two 25' usb cables in series with a coupler for an audio recording system that used USB 1.1 spec, with zero issues.

One thing to be mindful of: Key feel of cheap controllers feels pretty darned cheap. If that is not of concern to you then have at it.

I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 that I paid just over $100 for it. Pretty crummy. I bought it on-line. Had I auditioned it, I would have saved my money.

If you must go cheap, then shop Craigslist for used Casio and Yamaha arranger keyboards with USB midi. There are loads of them in the 100$ range in most major cities. Make sure that they have velocity sensitivity. The Craigslist postings almost read like they are from a standard script. "I bought this keyboard to learn piano, but I just don't use it anymore." Make sure to compare price against new models with similar features.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

New Online Band-in-a-Box and RealBand Manuals

Do you hate digging around for manuals as much as I do? Now you can access the most recent Band-in-a-Box® and RealBand manuals with just a few clicks on the new Online Manuals section of our website.

The PDF manuals for version 2017 and 2018 are available now. Plus, we're adding online versions of these manuals too! The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Windows User's Guide is complete, and the Mac User's Guide will be coming very soon. We're even adding a search feature to make it even easier for you to find features that you are looking for - stay tuned!

Forum Stats
27966 Members
57 Forums
53945 Topics
445552 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
visioncl, Graybones, kikesh, RedVampirePrince, rockmarcus28

27965 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 476
David Snyder 148