Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I've recently upgraded to version 2012 so as to be able to use BIAB on my iPad, but can't regenerate a piece - after a long pause, I'm told that "Quicktime for Windows not installed, or needs to be updated. You have version Quicktime may not be installed correctly, You need version 7.66.71 or higher".

I have installed the most recent version (7.7), and rebooted my laptop, but get the same error message.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Visit the BB Menu - Windows - BB2Go - and see if it shows that QuickTime is installed and working. If it is, you can make the mp4 files there, to make sure that it is working.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I've uninstalled and re-installed BIAB 2012. The current version of Quicktime was already installed, but when I opened the BB2Go dialog [Window=>BB2Go (prepare mp4 files for iPhone or Android version)...]
I was told "Error: QuickTime not installed or available. Install and reboot."

I downloaded and installed Quicktime again, and rebooted, but I get the same message.

The Band-in-a-Box "Server is running correctly!".

I noticed that when I install BIAB 2012 on my Drive F (an external hard-drive with 200G of disc space) I get a warning that there is only about 1G of disc space available and more than that is required (I didn't record the exact figures. I've ignored this, and the installation appears to go ahead. Is it possible that this is why BIAB2Go isn't detecting Quicktime? I don't think I was offered a choice of installation directory when I installed Quicktime.

Incidentally, the BIAB Server icon in the System Tray doesn't appear after the first reboot when "Auto-run service when Windows starts" is selected, although the BB2Go dialog reports it's working OK.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It seems that QuickTime isn't installed. See if you can find the QuickTime for windows player in the program files folder.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I've gone through another cycle of uninstall/reinstall, this time putting Quicktime on drive C.

It's now recognised by the BB2Go Dialog ("QuickTime is OK. You have version 7.7.1), and the server is running correctly (but not visible in the system tray - this seems to happen after some reboots and not others).

When I try to generate mp4 file(s) for a selected song in the F:\BB\BB2Go\ folder, I'm told that "Rendering of MIDI is completed. File Saved is named F:\BB\BB2Go\African Waltz C_Render.WAV. FileSize is 0K."

I think that's "zero K", not "Okay", because there's no additional file in the F:\BB\BB2Go folder.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
QuickTime is still not working. Did you reboot your laptop after installing it?

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Open the QT player and see if it plays a .mov file. That's a quick yes or no test, don't worry about Biab until that happens.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, and the easiest way to run QuickTime on Windows 7 is Start button and then type "QuickTime" and you will see the player.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Thanks, everyone.

I've rebooted (several times) since installing Quicktime.

I've confirmed that Quicktime is working by viewing a movie file with it.

I'm running this on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a 1.7 GHz Pentium processor with 1.00 GB of RAM. The OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 with Service Pack 3.

BIAB is now recognising that QuickTime has been installed, and gives the correct version number.

If I try to generate .mp4 files for all files in the BB2Go folder, I get the message about the Rendering being complete for the first file, and BIAB then plays the file until I click OK, when it moves on to the next one and plays it. No rendered file of any sort is left in the BB2Go folder.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Strange problem. If you have iTunes installed (it would be hard not to have iTunes installed at this stage since you have installed QuickTime many times)....Try making a m4a or mp4 file using iTunes, to see if it is working.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I don't actually have iTunes installed, but I was able to get BIAB to render a BIAB file to .m4a format in the BB2Go folder.

I was then able to download it and play it on my iPad, but I was unable (for example) to change the key on the iPad and have the piece regenerated in the new key.

About to give up for the night, I tried to shut down BIAB and got:

"Access violation at address 00404FFC in module 'bbw.exe'. Read of address 00000024 at: 00404FFC."

[I'd rather hoped that version 2012 would get rid of these access violations and program hangs, but I had previously got a number of them when I tried running through the first four bars of each piece in a large folder with the Juke Box feature in order to find out from the yellow warning messages what RealTracks I was missing. This is obviously a topic for another thread, and another day!]

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm running this on a Dell Inspiron 8600 with a 1.7 GHz Pentium processor with 1.00 GB of RAM. The OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 with Service Pack 3.

This is an antique computer. Trying to run 2012 with all the new Real Tracks is a real stretch here. The computer I replaced last year was a P4 2.8 with 2 gigs of ram. It was running fine but just didn't have the horsepower to run the latest stuff. It could be so slow that I would be fooled that Biab had hung up when it was still generating. If I tried to do something else during that time Biab would freeze up and throw up error messages.

I couldn't even try to figure out what's happening with your laptop, it's about 8 years old and for a PC it may as well be from the Jurassic. It has a 60 gig hard drive, probably running at 5400 rpm which slows the performance even further. Believe me this machine is another 50% slower than my old one. Have you checked how much free space you have on the hard drive and when's the last time it was defragged? If you have to keep this laptop for while I would wipe the hd and reinstall the OS and see if you can get another gig of ram. At least then you're giving it a fighting chance with a clean slate to work with. Keep it lean and mean with nothing but Biab on it. Also keep it mostly midi with maybe a couple of RT's not 5 or 6 with a RT soloist. And have patience when it's generating the RT's.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Thanks, jazzmammal, I'm well aware that my laptop was part of the navigational system from the Ark, but I've treated it to an external 500 GB hard-drive to beef up its capacity, and allow me to dual-boot Ubuntu. The improvement in the performance of the laptop (and a marginally younger desktop) with the switch in OS was dramatic!

After a year and a half with Ubuntu, I use Windows very rarely now, but I have to use it for BIAB and for iTunes. (Actually, I can run BIAB 2010-5 with Wine under Ubuntu for editing charts and MIDI playback, but not RealTracks; haven't tried 2012 yet).

I play guitar, I don't use my laptop in a live or rehearsal context now, I use MusicReader on my iPad for charts, many of which have been prepared on BIAB. My clarinet-playing colleague uses BIAB for practice at home, and has a subset of our repertoire ready to go in BIAB so that we can go out without our keyboard-player if we have to. I'd like to keep my laptop in step with his as far as RealTracks and charts are concerned to provide a backup in case his laptop breaks down or is stolen.

So you'll appreciate my reluctance to invest in a new laptop if the old one can be pressed into service!

But, it seems to me that the problems I'm having are problems of logic, not of speed or capacity, and that buying new hardware wouldn't solve them. Reinstallation of Windows might be a good plan, though.

Veteran
Veteran
The 500 gig external is just for storage, the processing is still done with your C drive and I'm 90% sure it's a slow 5400 rpm drive. If it's a clean system it will still run the programs fine just slow. Peter has said he still uses an old lappy like this for development. Make sure it's clean, lean and mean. Do all the Windows updates, disc check, defrag, uninstall stuff you don't need and leave at least 20 gigs of space to work with on the C drive. If it doesn't cost too much see if you can put in a 7200 rpm drive, more memory, reinstall XP. Where I live there's tech swap meets and I see old laptop drives and memory for next to nothing, like $10-20 or something. If you're not afraid to open it up and replace it, pretty cheap upgrade.

Bob

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

This is an antique computer. Trying to run 2012 with all the new Real Tracks is a real stretch here.

Well, I intentionally beta tested BB2012 this goround on a laptop with much the same spec, runs like a top. Matter of fact, halfway thru beta, I pulled out one stick of ram to leave it at 1g instead of 2, just to see if that would break it. Still ran just about the same for the rest of the test, and, come to think of it, the laptop is still running only that 1g stick at the moment, just looked in the drawer and there sits stick number two...

I keep the C drive defragged religiously and never let it get so stuffed that there isn't any less than 10% freespace on it. The disk swap tweak, setting the ram cache manually to twice the physical ramsize was also performed.

Only real performance difference I note between this "antique's" performance as compared to my newer machine is that the Realtracks loading times are a bit faster on the racehorse. But the XP machine loads fast enough to use on live gigs.

All of the above assumes use of PGMusic USB drive for the Realtrack storage, with the just BB program and its associated plugins, fonts and, of course the Amplitube plugin installed to C drive.

--Mac

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
500MB is the minimum memory specified here:

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.requirements.htm

from which I conclude that BIAB 2012 has been tested on such a system - I've got 1GB, so memory isn't an issue.

My problem isn't that things are slow, it's that they don't actually work!

Having said that, I've found that I can place a .MGU file in ..\BB2Go, get BIAB to render it to .MP4, then download the .MGU/.MP4 pair to my iPad and have the iPad play the properly rendered song - so the mechanisms are all in place, they just don't seem to work through the Windows=>BB2Go dialog box.

(It seems that .M4A and .MP4 files are interchangeable for this purpose).

Can anyone confirm that he/she can get this sequence to work:

1. Create a BIAB .MGU file with RealTracks (call it MyTune.MGU).
2. Generate the music, complete with RealTracks.
3. Copy MyTune.MGU to the ...\BB2Go directory.
4. Use Windows=>BB2Go to Generate a .MP4 file for MyTune.MGU.
5. Download MyTune.MGU and its companion .MP4 file to an iPad using the Band-in-a-Box Service.
6. Play MyTune on the iPad.

If you can do this, then there's clearly something not right about my set-up - I'd rather know this is the case before embarking on HD replacement, memory upgrade and OS reinstallation!

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I find Geekbench ( http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/ ) to be a good measure of overall performance, since it gives a "single number" that you can use to compare machines.

I know that BB runs well on my old HP Laptop (XP, 1 GB RAM, AMD Turion), and that has a Geekbench of 1,100. I tried to update that to 2GB RAM, but it just wouldn't take it (blue screened until I put it back to 1 GB).

And I have a MacBookPro (running Windows 7/64 under Bootcamp). That has a Geekbench of 4,200, and of course its much faster.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
You're right, we're getting off on a tangent. I don't know if your older laptop is really the problem or not. Since Peter and Mac do a lot of testing using both older and new machines it's probably ok and you're problem is something else.

Bob

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
Thanks, Peter.

My laptop scores 1170 on Geekbench, which suggests that my problems are not resource-related.

F
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
F
I've now got BIAB 2012 with the BIAB2Go export feature for my iPad running correctly on my laptop.

I had to go through a methodical removal of everything related to BIAB first, and I then reinstalled everything with the program files on the (relatively small) C drive and RealTracks and Drums on the (spacious) F drive.

I think my problems arose because I had installed BIAB on the laptop when it only had the C drive, but had to add an external drive when I bought a few more RealTracks. I installed another version of BIAB on the F drive, so that I could run this when the F drive was attached, but run on a restricted set of RealTracks on drive C only for portability.

There are one or two features of BIAB<=>iPad communication which don't quite work the way I expect, but I'll play with this some more before posting any conclusions.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,326
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181