You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#160379 - 05/22/12 07:49 AM [Off-Topic] The idea of perfection and us.
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Quotes like this abound on the "Users Showcase"

Quote:

...with some real musicians, etc., this song has some real potential.

Who are we fooling here?

Doesn't nearly every song have "potential" in the hands of a Giant Media Conglomerates? "All you have to do is polish it and..."

Fame and fortune can't be why we create music. If your rationale for creation is to "Make it Big", you are going to crash and burn.

We create music because we cannot NOT make music. We share it because we want others to enjoy it.

If we drop the idea of PERFECTION that society dumps on us through the media; If we drop the AMERICAN IDOL mentality that we are good enough to be "discovered", than we can start to enjoy each others music for what it is... US.

#160380 - 05/22/12 08:22 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: PRearden]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
True, Dat.

--Msc

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#160381 - 05/22/12 08:26 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: Mac]
Skyoma Offline
Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with aspiring for something more. Personally, it makes me hold off on releasing something over and over and over until I just love it. Thus I am sure (hopefully) the world will too.

Skyoma

#160382 - 05/22/12 09:06 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: Skyoma]
WienSam Offline
Veteran

Loc: A corner of Vienna, Austria, t...
Mac is right again...

Man! Is there NOTHING you don't know, Mac?

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what

#160383 - 05/22/12 09:16 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: Skyoma]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Nothing wrong with aspiring for something more. Personally, it makes me hold off on releasing something over and over and over until I just love it. Thus I am sure (hopefully) the world will too.

Skyoma

When you say "aspiring for more". my first question is "more WHAT?" More personal satisfaction? More accolades from others? More money?

There is no perfect way to be... not in music, nor relationships nor opinions etc etc etc. Life's a big circle of possibilities. No matter where you are on the circle, there are some people in the same quadrant as you who like what you're doing, and many more people on the opposite side of the circle who hate what you're doing.

Trying to get more appreciation by changing position on the circle only changes the people who like and hate what you're doing. Therefore, it makes most sense to pursue your passion wholeheartedly, for yourself and not for others. If it sucks, at least you had fun. If it's good, the people near you on the circle will like it.

No matter WHAT you do, the people on the opposite side of the circle won't like it, so don't be discouraged by criticism. Accept the fact that criticism is a natural part of living in a world where lots of people have lots of different opinions. Their opinions speak more about themselves than about you.

#160384 - 05/22/12 09:17 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: WienSam]
eddie1261 - gone Online   content
Veteran

Definition of "Potential" - you haven't done jack s4it yet....

#160385 - 05/22/12 09:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: eddie1261 - gone]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Definition of "Potential" - you haven't done jack s4it yet....

I guess that's one definition... although there are talented AND untalented people who haven't done anything yet. In a physics sense, potential is the presence of enough energy to accomplish a specific amount of work. In a musical sense, I think of potential as the presence of enough talent to accomplish specific musical goals better than the average person.

One person might have potential enough to play in a garage band, but not enough potential to be the opening act for a hot touring band. Another might have potential as a songwriter, but not as a performer. Some have potential as a vocalist, but not as an instrumentalist.

Potential is like trust. Each is true only in certain situations, and rarely across the board.

For example, I might trust a friend with my wallet, but not with my wife.

Likewise I might trust a friend to master my CD, but not to sing on any of the tracks.

#160386 - 05/22/12 09:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: Pat Marr]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Music is fun and can be enjoyed by myself or shared with others. Some will like it; others won't. Even "perfect" songs are NOT enjoyed by all.

I'll get wrapped around the "perfection axle" when paid public speakers stop saying "uhhh" in the middle of sentences or overpaid baseball players start batting 1000 or politicians keep their promises.

In the meantime, I'll have a blast making music that I love and that many of my friends and family at least tell me they love, too. And even then, if I'm the only one that seems to be enjoying it, well that's not my loss. I'll just keep it for myself.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#160387 - 05/22/12 07:15 PM [Off-Topic] Perfection and Failure [Re: jford]
PRearden Offline
Apprentice

Loc: <----- behind here
Perfection and Failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eTRZv6cx4

Although this is about improv, I think it also applies to music (or any other art).

#160388 - 05/22/12 07:31 PM [Off-Topic] Re: The idea of perfection and us. [Re: PRearden]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

If we drop the idea of PERFECTION that society dumps on us through the media; If we drop the AMERICAN IDOL mentality that we are good enough to be "discovered", than we can start to enjoy each others music for what it is... US.

it has been my observation that most people who are actively pursuing a goal have already abandoned the perfection mindset.

Those who believe there's no point in doing something unless they can do it perfectly will never get past the woodshed stage of the game. They'll make a job out of it instead of a game, and in so doing they'll get discouraged and quit from exhaustion.

But those who PLAY at it seem to have fun... and people keep doing what's fun...and when you keep doing something you tend to get better at it. Continuously.

so, yeah, +1

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 520 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 250, here.

Summary of changes for Build 520 since 519 (July 17 2018):
Added: Save As style feature has support for MIDI velocity changes if volumes aren’t 90 on mixer when saved.
Added: Support for MIDI velocity changes in styles. Use the Misc-More dialog in StyleMaker to set velocity changes in MIDI styles.
Fixed: [Style Memos etc] button was not visible in the Style Editor -> Misc dialog.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: Hitting the Return key while in the Audio Edit window might trigger Loop Screen mode.
Updated: PDF Manual and Help.

User Blog - Recording and Processing Vocals Using RealBand...

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post is a "start to finish" of how she records and processes vocals for her songs using her three "go-to" programs: RealBand, Melodyne, and Nectar from Izotope (with a little help from Band-in-a-Box...)!

Check out this blog post here.

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Save Notation Window as a Video with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Did you know... Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac allows you to save the Notation Window as a video? What a great way to share your songs with users, and LEARN from the notation as you listen!

From the program manual:
[Save As] | Save as video
-In the Make Notation Video dialog, select a track at the upper left corner. (Note: The dialog title says “Make Chord Sheet Video” until you select a track.)
-You can also set the dimension (width/height) of the video and select the number of frames per second and a specific codec.
-Press the [OK - Render Video] button to start rendering the video. When the video has been created, press the [Show Video File] button.
-You can then double click on the file to watch the rendered video.

Note: A special use of this feature is to combine a Video RealTracks (new with version 2018) with the corresponding notation in a single video. This creates an educational video, which shows the actual performance with notation/tab, playing over your chord progression! To do this, right-click on the Master button or one of the track buttons at the top of the main screen and select Render Video(s) from the menu.

Forum Stats
27717 Members
50 Forums
52608 Topics
436000 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
LaurieS, jigelaz, gerry logan, jack homburg, perljazz

27716 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 156
Al-David 153