Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#160438 05/22/12 03:49 PM
Off-Topic
Skyoma Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I am preparing a song to post on the user showcase. All I need, basically is an adequate vocal.

I'll let BIAB do the harmonies, guitar, bass, drums, and piano, but ultimately I'll want real instruments.

I have to know what people think about this song before I can proceed because I have a problem. Maybe some of you BIAB forumeers, who are experienced in the industry, and reality, and discouragment, could help.

I have written some lyrics, (forget the instrumentation for now), that I just love. I have said exactly what I want to say. And I thought it was said in a way that the lady in question would appreciate.

Then, as I was considering hiring a professional vocalist to sing it, I was told by his LA producer that she thought it was a childrens song. I was so hurt, because it is most definately not meant for kids.

I understand this is not a lyric-writing forum, but I kinda like it here.

Would it be ok if I posted my lyrics before I post the completed song on the user-showcase, and you all tell me if it is childish?

Skyoma

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't see why not, but don't forget that all we can provide are personal opinions, not cosmic truth. If that's good enough, then post away!

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Well I, for one, am curious enough to want to see them. Be warned, though, the forum can be brutally honest - are you sure you're ready for this.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Skyoma, you can post whatever stage of song development you want.
Lyrics are often changed after posting. That's the beauty of the feedback from the User Forum and the others.
It's also the nature of the music business. You should never be surprised by unexpected reactions - in fact, expect the unexpected.

Did you get further info as to why the lyrics in question were considered as a child's song?

Usually a song is better posted as music and lyrics together for a better overall feel.

Good luck working this out.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Skyoma,

I would be happy to offer an unbiased opinion. I am not a lyricist by any stretch but I listen to the words of a song giving them as much weight as the melody, perhaps more. I look for "the story line." Even the most beautiful melody does not tell a story without the word picture that is told by the lyrics.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I have written some lyrics that I just love. I have said exactly what I want to say. And I thought it was said in a way that the lady in question would appreciate.

Then, as I was considering hiring a professional vocalist to sing it, I was told by his LA producer that she thought it was a childrens song. I was so hurt, because it is most definately not meant for kids.

bear in mind that you know the person to whom you were writing, but the producer doesn't. YOU are in a better position to know what would work for this specific person

Off-Topic
Skyoma Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
SOFTY
by: Skyoma

[V1]
Affectionate purrs, warm and adorable/
velvet skin, smooth and explorable/
You're all melty, dozy, privately cozy/
snuggling close, your tenderness sweetly imposing/
My goodness your cheeks are so awfully pinchy and rosy/

[V2]
You're a squeezy pillow, down of a feather/
steamy soup in Antarcticy weather/
tinkling ivories down my spine/
scherzo con brio now lento legato assai/
and those beautiful bonifide hopelessly starry eyes

[Chorus]
Softy/ Softy/
all pretty and pressed and bleachy clean/
cottony dress so peachy keen//
Softy/ Softy/ soft as a cloud, a little lamb sighs/
soft as a marshmallow, my oh my//

[V3]
An image remains in my brain/
that childlike gaze, and feminine grace/
But that innocent look in your eyes/
spurious people sway you with mumbles or sighs/
and I can't get my mind off you all through the daily grind//

[BRIDGE]
When (when) (when) we grew up and went to school/
there were certain things that we were taught.//
never cry a drop, tears you gotta block/
fight to be the strongest see cuz kindness is a crock//

But girl I wanna be like you/
I'd rather be a softie than a rock//

[Chorus]

[V4]
Weepy old willow can't witness pain/
kindness and mercy deeply ingrained/
and your bleary brown eyes all teary and glazed/
tummy is churning, trying so hard to be brave//
Is it poor starving children,/ the pets at the pound,/
P T S vets all alone in a crowd?//

[Chorus]
[Chorus]

Off-Topic
Skyoma Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
When the music plays with the words, I love it so.

Tempo 77-80 12/8 time except the bridge which is 4/4

Skyoma

Last edited by Skyoma; 05/22/12 04:17 PM.
Off-Topic
Skyoma Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm gonna sing it and record it, right now. Heck with the LA pro. My voice is bad though, but I really want y'all to hear the music.

I'll post it today or tomorrow on the showcase.

Skyoma

Skyoma

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Skyoma,

Another option is to join Just Plain Folks or 50/90 songwriting communities on-line. You'll find many more songwriters there as a percentage of forum participants - generally very supportive and honest. Here, there are a fairly large percentage of folks that are doing cover tunes. Nothing wrong with that, but the percentage of people with experience writing effective lyrics here is smaller than at those other communities.

50/90 forums aren't live right now. It's a yearly challenge to write 50 songs in 90 days. The forum will go live in probably 2 weeks.

The JPF lyric writing forums are fairly active - you'll get real usable results there. http://www.jpfolks.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/112/page/1

I think that lyrics can be posted either with or without music. If you are intent on keeping the music as is, then post with the music. If you are flexible on the music, then post the lyrics by themselves.

I've written perhaps 150 songs in my life, about 75 or so with lyrics and usually the lyrics come to me first. Out of those 75, I say there are about 15-20 for which I have received very positive feedback from people I respect; after several edits.

Here's an example of a lyric I wrote after experiencing Los Angeles for the first time in many years. BTW, Mulholland refers to Mulholland Drive in LA. Hopefully the lyric stands by itself as a thought provoking chain of words. The link to the song is at the bottom after the lyrics. I wrote many of the lyrics on the plane ride back to my home state after being mesmerized by seeing the un-ending incoming flights into LAX, the mass of humanity that one can see from certain vantage points in LA, etc.

View From Mulholland Copyright 2005 Scott Lake

Verse 1
Above the City of Angels on this ribbon I ride.
The Golden Web of Edison stretched out on every side.
Looking sideways at the stars and jewelled threads hanging in the air.
I pause to think what You must feel and if I can really care.

Chorus:
What do You see, different from what I see?
What do You see in your view from Mulholland?

Verse 2
I see a sea of humanity lost in their anonymity.
What is it that keeps You interested in each one
Like I believe You are in me?

Repeat Chorus

Bridge:
Where I see lights, You know each life.
I try to care but cannot dare to imagine the pain You must bear
when You see each one, and what we've done.

Repeat Chorus

Verse 3.
The granite palace behind me as a tribute to man-made beauty
And below on Rodeo they're buying the latest thing
that they don't really need.....
just to carry more money.

Repeat Chorus to end

Link to what I call the song story:
http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/vfmstory.html

and the song itself

http://rockstarnot.rekkerd.org/songs/newer/View%20From%20Mulholland.MP3

If you like the lyric writing, I have some experience and can give you my opinion for what it's worth. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Generally speaking lyrics that grab me make a point that is common to man, but from an angle that is fresh and new.

Examples from this song (in my opinion and from what I have heard as critique from others that like this song):

"Looking sideways at the stars"
In an airplane ride at night, when the plane banks and you are on the outside window of the turn, you look out the window and there are the stars, that for most folks living on flat places on the earth have to look up to see. Now that I live in Colorado, I get the exquisite pleasure of looking straight ahead at the stars all of the time. At the time I wrote this song, I lived in Michigan.

"Jeweled threads hanging in the air"
Refers to the chain of planes inbound to LAX at night with their landing lights on. To me, I imagined a thin thread connecting them all.

"Golden Web of Edison"
Here it is visually: http://www.bentmachine.com/photos/0303/DSCN0173.jpg

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Well I, for one, am curious enough to want to see them. Be warned, though, the forum can be brutally honest - are you sure you're ready for this.

ROG.

interesting to hear this comment Rog. Not long ago there was a long thread about how the forum members tend to offer meaningless praise rather than helpful criticism. I think this group is very honest and very kind.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Frankly, I can't identify the object of your affection. The target drifts out of the reticle. Is it intended to be a love ballad? Perhaps the melody is vital to the storyline. I can't quite grab it. Some syntax is very mature while other parts seem rather juvenile. Which is it?

I only promised an unbiased opinion. Sometimes the truth is brutally painful. Opinions are like anal apertures, everybody has one. Take mine with a grain of salt. As Pat said, they are only opinions.

All the best on the song's development.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I see you posted when I did.

Here are the points that sound somewhat Dr. Seuss-like:

'Antarticy'
'Squeezy'
'softy softy'
'pinchy'
'tummy'

etc.

In my opinion, there's far too much use of the letter 'y' as a rhyming trick and to convert verbs to adjectives. Here's a suggestion, see if you can turn each line around; put the end at the front, and find other rhymes.

Some tools to go after that are available for free:

1. www.rhymezone.com
2. McGill Rhyming Dictionary (actually go here first). This one is excellent because it includes lines from famous poets utilizing the words you are trying to rhyme. Might as well learn from Keats, Yeats, Blake, Shakespeare etc. while you are at it!

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
on the other hand, if the person you have in mind uses such words (many women do), and if you are writing for her rather than for a general audience, the unique attachment of those words to the person who says them might provide an endearing touch

If you have a very specific audience, and you successfully play to that audience, it doesn't necessarily mean that the performance will be embraced by others. Decide who your audience is, and go for it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You're obviously very fond of your cat. And they love it when you talk to them like this, ...especially if you use that high squeaky baby voice.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

... I was so hurt, because i ... -- Skyoma

You need to banish those feelings from critiques of your artistic work. If you don't, I can't see how you will be able to grow as a writer. I think you have gotten some good feedback (except from bobcfp, who is just universally nasty these days) and I can see where that LA producer is coming from. You have to remember that someone like that has seen 100,000 songs and this might be only your 100th song that you have written. You have written 100 songs, right? If not, then join 50/90 and get on with it.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Skyoma,

Since Kevin told you I was being nasty, I’ll explain my wording in the prior comment.

While reading your lyrics, I felt like I was peeking into a little girls diary since the vast majority of it reminded me of something a little girl would write for her kitty cat. It then made me envision that little girl reciting the poem to her kitty in a high, squeaky, babified voice.

When the “LA producer (said) that she thought it was a children’s song”, I can understand why. It doesn't sound like it was written by an adult or for an adult.

As ROG said earlier:

Quote:

Be warned, though, the forum can be brutally honest - are you sure you're ready for this?

The "critiques" are just my honest opinion. Kevin never likes anything I have to say, so his opinion of my comments doesn't mean anything to me. I just thought I'd clarify them for you, Skyoma.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I'm gonna sing it and record it, right now. Heck with the LA pro. My voice is bad though,...

check out the thread on Melodyne. Its on sale for the lowest price I have ever seen. Nobody has to be out of tune anymore.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I think it's all going to be down to how you perform it. It could go either way.

Quote:

and I can't get my mind off you all through the daily grind

You might want to re-think this line - it could be misinterpreted.

ROG.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Skyoma.

Don't worry about bobcflatpicker. "Ordeal By Bob" is a sort of rite of passage here - if you survive it you come out stronger at the other side. If you can see past the bluntness, there's a lot of wisdom.

Every forum should have a Bob to cut through the cr-p!

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,638
Posts735,345
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182