You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#166849 - 07/24/12 07:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: Pat Marr]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Loc: NSW, Australia
G'day John,
I haven't piped up before 'cos so many others were already there, but a thought has occurred to me that I think is worth sharing:

I cannot imagine what you are facing or going through, but I do have a good mate who has been alone pretty much all his life. It is terrifying seeing how his personality disintegrates every so often from the sheer loneliness of his life. The reality is that though he craves company he also inhibits it by his behaviour, learned defense responses to hurts I guess.

PLEASE, please don't allow yourself to travel that path. I'm not particularly a "doggie" person, although we do allow ourselves to be owned by a cat, so I can't really comment on the value of getting another dog, but I can advise you to make sure you never allow yourself to disconnect from people around you. I think you already know that as evidenced by your reaching out here, but an online relationship is no substitute for having someone physically close.

You have a real advantage over my mate, he couldn't play a note if his life depended on it, whereas you have a skill that is welcomed by most people - you make music. I can't think of anything better than getting involved in a local group (or ten) of musos and entertaining people.

One group I play with is called "Big Band Therapy", and believe me, therapy it is - both for us and our audiences

Be blessed mate, be shaped but not brought down by your past and present, and look forward to the next adventure.

#166850 - 07/24/12 07:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: Lawrie]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

G'day John,
I haven't piped up before 'cos so many others were already there, but a thought has occurred to me that I think is worth sharing:

I cannot imagine what you are facing or going through, but I do have a good mate who has been alone pretty much all his life. It is terrifying seeing how his personality disintegrates every so often from the sheer loneliness of his life. The reality is that though he craves company he also inhibits it by his behaviour, learned defense responses to hurts I guess.

PLEASE, please don't allow yourself to travel that path. I'm not particularly a "doggie" person, although we do allow ourselves to be owned by a cat, so I can't really comment on the value of getting another dog, but I can advise you to make sure you never allow yourself to disconnect from people around you. I think you already know that as evidenced by your reaching out here, but an online relationship is no substitute for having someone physically close.

You have a real advantage over my mate, he couldn't play a note if his life depended on it, whereas you have a skill that is welcomed by most people - you make music. I can't think of anything better than getting involved in a local group (or ten) of musos and entertaining people.

One group I play with is called "Big Band Therapy", and believe me, therapy it is - both for us and our audiences

Be blessed mate, be shaped but not brought down by your past and present, and look forward to the next adventure.

You are right on Lawrie. I see myself sort of able to slip that way. Sort of getting caught up in the blues.I have a couple things I will be doing that I haven't been able to do before:
1.Going to a church(Unity) that I really enjoyed but had to stop because I couldn't leave Lucy home & too hotin the car.
2. There's a local Flea Mkt were musicians get together on Sat & Sun & play.I've played a couple of times and although the music is not quite up to what I'm used to,the people are all really wonderfull. I just separate the two.
3. If I find myself settling in here, remember this is not were I'm from & is sort of alien to me, I will be getting a dog again.I've already been sort of fantasizing about it.Maybe pat's dog and I will be connected.Fate will dictate.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#166851 - 07/24/12 07:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: silvertones]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Maybe pat's dog and I will be connected.Fate will dictate.

John,

I'm not working this week. Feel free to stop by and see the dog and visit. I'll send my address and phone # by PM in case you want to do that. No pressure, though. If you visit it doesn't mean you need to take the dog. You're always welcome here under any circumstances and at any time. Likewise, I understand if you have other things to do. Its an open invitation, not an RSVP kind of thing.

#166852 - 07/24/12 09:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: Pat Marr]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
John, i feel for you, my friend. it has been a rather difficult road for you. It is so great that so many folks here care about your well being. What a great community. Props to all of you, and your kind thoughts for a friend in need. It is so cool that you have recognized that you have friend here that not only listen, but share their hearts with you.

I gotta say music really is the language of love, and not just in the romantic way, but in real true brotherly love.

Play a set of music tonight! and we are all singing along!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#166853 - 07/24/12 10:38 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: Robh]
multitracker Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Hibbing, MN
Well said Robh. It is a thing to behold observing so many here reach out with not only heartfelt emotional support and advice for John but also with schemes to meet up with him. Says a lot about ya'll.

Terry

#166854 - 07/24/12 11:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: MarioD]
Curmudgeon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Henderson, NV
John, I just want you to know that I have been thinking of and praying for you.

1Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Don S.

#166855 - 07/25/12 08:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: Curmudgeon]
yjoh Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Australia
Hi John,

I went through the same heart wrenching decision a few years back and it still hurts to remember. I read the posts yesterday and I'm so sorry but it has taken me until today to be able to say how sorry I am, without breaking down myself.

I haven't as yet been able to get a new dog but when the time comes, I think I would like to give an older dog or rescue dog a new lease on life.

My music has gotten me through so much and I'm sure yours will too. It takes time but the grief does lessen.

It's good to know there is so much support for you. I hope it bring some comfort.

[i]Music...a joy for life.

#166856 - 07/25/12 11:45 AM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: Lawrie]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Big Band Therapy. I like that one, Lawry. Music is perfect therapy because it's as complex as you want to make it. You can never perfect your playing and then say ok, I've done it all, time to move on. It's great to play with other people because they motivate you do work at it so you can play your parts properly and not mess them up.

John, that sounds like a nice little trip for you, to go visit Pat. Do it asap, I kinda doubt it's like your days are all booked up for the next month, ya know? Let us know what happens.

Bob

#166857 - 07/25/12 03:15 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: yjoh]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Hi John,

I went through the same heart wrenching decision a few years back and it still hurts to remember. I read the posts yesterday and I'm so sorry but it has taken me until today to be able to say how sorry I am, without breaking down myself.

I haven't as yet been able to get a new dog but when the time comes, I think I would like to give an older dog or rescue dog a new lease on life.

My music has gotten me through so much and I'm sure yours will too. It takes time but the grief does lessen.

It's good to know there is so much support for you. I hope it bring some comfort.

Thank you for that understanding of where I'm at and why I'll not get another dog in haste. Losing my wife and my four legged child,I have no others,has left me in a fragile state of mind were no important decisions should be made.
15.6" Monitor

#166858 - 07/25/12 03:22 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: jazzmammal]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Big Band Therapy. I like that one, Lawry. Music is perfect therapy because it's as complex as you want to make it. You can never perfect your playing and then say ok, I've done it all, time to move on. It's great to play with other people because they motivate you do work at it so you can play your parts properly and not mess them up.

John, that sounds like a nice little trip for you, to go visit Pat. Do it asap, I kinda doubt it's like your days are all booked up for the next month, ya know? Let us know what happens.

Bob

It would be however it won't happen for awhile for a few reasons:
1.I can't even go to the neighbors for dinner without getting so jangled that I had to leave after an hour.
2.I don't have the proper setup for his pup & I'm not ready so it would break my heart to see him.Like the picture does every time I look at it.
3.His wife is dying of cancer and I'm sure not ready to see that again.

Pat and I most certainly will get together at some point when he moves on to part 2 of his situation.
15.6" Monitor

#166859 - 07/25/12 04:13 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: silvertones]
GHinCH Offline
Expert

Loc: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
Hi John,

whatever you choose to do, do it.
Your neighbors will understand when you need to leave for sentimental reasons.
Your friends will understand when your eyes start to get wet.

After my first wife's passing I dedided to live "with the past" not "in the past". It is painful at times to be alone, but there is also a sort of new freedom. Memories come up front and go away again, they haunt you at times when you don't have use for them. The first year is the hardest, because you have to go through every activity alone for the first time.

The best therapy is probably: Do what you want, when you want it to do.

I wish you all the strengh to have when you need it to ride the emotional roller coaster.

Guido

#166860 - 07/25/12 04:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: I need help again [Re: silvertones]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
May I speak to the power of Music Therapy? It is rapidly becoming recognized in the medical community for it's powerful healing potential on the human psyche. I am the unofficial music therapist here in my nursing home and I have seen it work countless times.

Well stated, Guido!

Edited by Don Gaynor (07/25/12 04:33 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

Forum Stats
27139 Members
49 Forums
50329 Topics
413068 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
smily, jeffkepner1, Robert Jordan, Hazyjames, Kozy

27138 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 252