Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
My first computer, long before the IBM PC was even invented, used a portable cassette tape recorder for storage.

Anybody have BIAB on cassettes? (kidding)

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
That wouldn't happen to be the Radio Shack Color Computer (aka CoCo) would it? I still have soft spot for the CoCo - it got me through grad school (a CoCo and a TI-59 with more than a few of the library modules) . (I was a late bloomer I didn't attend college for a long time after high school)

But then in late 70's early 80's more than a few "PC's" used cassette as "mass storage" - what was the blinding baud rate again?

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 08/15/12 10:06 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I still have a Color Computer in the closet, but no, that came out in summer 1980 and ran LOGO, among other things. I started in 1977 with the TRS-80 Model 1 and then a Model 3. Before 1982 I worked for Tandy and was selling these computers to IBMers among others and demonstrating them on TV, and I managed the first retail computer store in the Albany region. I then became their regional educator before teaching computer science in college for the next twenty-five years.

The data transfer rate of my first modem, which had suction cups to fit over a telephone receiver, was 300 baud. It was a happy day when the 1200 baud unit came out.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
I got my first taste of BB back in 1982 when a friend of mine from a musical show we were both in gave me a boot-leg copy of BB/DOS version on 5 1/4" floppy. I liked the program so much that I've since bought every version on a yearly basis since then and am waiting for Christmas to get 2013 BB. By the way, I still have every version except the 5 1/4" floppy version.
Great Product, Great Company. Thanks Peter for 30 years of joy.

Last edited by David Walker; 08/16/12 07:04 PM.
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
My first computer was something called an "Elf". Had a full 256 bytes of ram. Not even enough to store this post. Disks were 8" floppies at that time and drives were were so expensive, you only saw them them at your place of employment.

My first "midi" computer was a Commodore64 with a home built midi interface and Dr T's sequencer. There was also a very crude music creating program around at that time that produced some type of rythm loop, if I remember right. Later moved up to an Atari ST, also with Dr. T's sequencer. The sequencer would crash any time you entered an invalid quantity.

Never knew BIAB went back that far. Glad to see they made it.

Veteran
Veteran
My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI99/4A and it had a cassette storage device. "Brrr-brrr-brrr-brrr-brrr-brrr-brrr".

My first edition of BiaB was the first version they put out on Atari. Second version was a PC pre-windows DOS version and I also had one for a Mac with a Motorola chip soon after I went into business.

I do remember working BiaB on a PC with 5.25" floppy disks but BiaB itself came on a 3.5 disk.

And before the TI I had a slide rule, and actually knew how to use it (but I don't remember now).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hey Bob, I remember your ads in an audio recording magazine from sometime in the 90s. When did you first start marketing BIAB add-on styles?

Veteran
Veteran
Ahh..slide rules - got me through high school, AF tech school, and part of college, I suspect quite a few on THIS forum used them as well and in the same "venues!"

I also collect them and have a fairly large collection, a few can be seen http://sliderulemuseum.com/ (look under Dietzgen).

I had more in Mike's gallery but he replaces virtual collection (ones not physically at the museum) with ones the museum actually owns (some bought, some donated which is where my collection will go some day). There are some manuals that I passed along as well (they didn't have and or the correct version wasn't on the web anywhere).

I still carry a pocket SR in my bag. Sometimes it's a Nestler 0130 MultiMath Duplex but most of the time it's a Pickett N-600ES, becasue that particular model went to the moon on Apollo missions (SR's, paper and pencil got us to the moon; not 64 digits of "precision"

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 08/18/12 05:23 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Larry, you are a man to mine own heart *grin*.

Along with the Slide Rule, I also sometimes load the Sextant into my kit when doing TechRep work on GSAT systems.

You should see the faces of the younger set when I pull that thing out of the case and step out onto the flybridge...

"What's he DOING?"

"I think he's DIVINING our postion. From the STARS..."

"Can that be done?"

Does anyone remember the scene in the movie "Apollo 13" where the engineer confronted with in-flight emergency is shown with a TI Calculator?

Hard to find that scene anymore as so many of us contacted the Producer, etc. to tell them that there weren't any TI calculators at the time of Apollo 13. So they actually redid the movie and inserted a clip of the guy using his slipstick...

Then, of course, there's this digital code, the only one that can be translated using nothing more than the human brain. "Morse Code" -- Yet another skillset which should not have been allowed to languish.

--Mac

Last edited by Mac; 08/18/12 07:44 AM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I taught myself Basic programming on a ZX81 monitor was the TV, all of 16k RAM, programs was saved to cassettes. Upgraded when the ZX Spectrum came out 48k RAM....

I remember the tricks we tried to keep the programs lean to fit it all in!

I tell the youngsters at work how a pal of mine and myself wrote a complete PC Board productiion control system in the 80's on a Sharp MZ80B using dBase II (yes not dBaseIII). This also had 2 cassettes, one for the system, one for data....could'nt pick it up myself, so heavy ..

I'm doing allright for Country Trash ....

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2022W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The ALTAIR was my first personal computer.

Mid 70's -- and you ahd to be able to follow schematics, directions, solder and pretty much built it from scratch.

The Output was a row of LEDs and many of us home experimenters dedicated a LOT of time and resources towards getting the Altair to display ASCII on a screen. When I finally achieved that using a standard old television set, man, it was time to dance around the ham shack.

http://oldcomputers.net/altair.html

My first Music Machine was an Atari, running the incredibly powerful, even by today's standards, "Bars 'n Pipes" MIDI sequencer software.

(Still keep a running Atari around here because sometimes the MIDI editing capabilities of Bars 'n Pipes can streamline delivery in certain projects. The ability to roll your own scripts to do any sort of batch work is still incredibly powerful despite all the sequencing softwares now available.)

--Mac

Journeyman
Journeyman
My first computer was a Timex-Sinclair with 2K of memory. Added an external keyboard and 16K memory and thought I was really "Cookin'" Graduated to a Kaypro -- remember those?

Bob Coy
HP Desktop
Windows 10 Home, AMD A6-7310, 6GB Ram 1TB Hard drive. Radeon Graphics & Sound
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hey Bob, I remember your ads in an audio recording magazine from sometime in the 90s. When did you first start marketing BIAB add-on styles?

When PG Music offered version 4 for Atari, it was the first version to allow end users to make user styles. I believe that was in 1991 or 1992. It only had 3 instruments. Drums, bass and piano.

The basic 24 'built in' styles were very limiting, and especially the Latin American styles wouldn't do down here in South Florida, so I wrote a number of styles for myself. Better Latin styles, more rock styles a couple of country styles and so on.

I gave my styles away to a few of my friends, and they all told me they liked my styles better than the PG Music styles (aren't friends great!). So I took out an ad in Electronic Musician magazine, I think this was in 1992, but I could be off a year.

A few months later, Peter Gannon called, and encouraged me to write for IBM compatible computers (that's what we called PCs back then) and offered to convert my Atari styles to IBM styles (Atari and IBM shared the same floppy disk format). So I sent him the disks.

Then when I sold enough style disks to buy an IBM compatible computer, I got a 386 / DOS 5.0 / Win 3.1 IBM compatible with a 5.25 floppy and a 3.5 floppy (BiaB was DOS only then, the first Windows version hadn't arrived yet). Then came the Mac Classic II running system 6. I've upgraded all but the Atari quite a few times. Though I do remember getting a 10M hard drive for the Atari that was about the size of the Manhattan telephone directory.

So I'm guessing 1992. I never thought I'd still be doing it 20 years later but I am thankful for PG Music for the product and all my loyal customers for the support.

I wonder if Peter Gannon had any idea as to what would become of that great but clunky little infant program that was developed back in the early days of the PC?

Notes

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com

Veteran
Veteran
What was the original publishing/sales date of BIAB?

Thanks

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks

Peter,

I'd also like to know - Come on go dig out your records (both kinds I suspect like me you still have/play vinyl?) and report when the first BIAB for "PC" sold (intel x86 platforms because I think PG

Veteran
Veteran
I remember seeing little ads in EM and Keyboard on the PC when all I had was an Atari (if my memory is correct but then, that was a loooooong time ago). I tend to think it started as a DOS program (again, I could be wrong about that). I've been using it since it first came out on the Atari. I might even have the floppy disk somewhere

I don't know the edition of DOS I started with, but when BiaB finally came out in Windows, they re-numbered it to Version 1 again.

So I would guess either late 80s or early 90s would be the origin of this great app.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Expert
Expert
I've still got a copy of version 1 for DOS. I have it installed on an old HP Vectra 486 DX/25. It works with my MPU401 plugged into the computer but otherwise will not run if it doesn't find an interface it 'likes'.

Kevin

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Thanks

According to information from another area of this webiste, http://www.pgmusic.com/about.htm Peter formed PG Music in 1988.However I suspect that BIAB in an earlier form was around prior to that, judging by some of the above comments.

Cheers,
Keith
Veteran
Veteran
Bit more info nailing down your date Keith for the Dos version...
http://www.alisdair.com/gearsoftware/biabdiscussiongroup.html

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-st-band-in-a-box_21902.html

Click bottom pictures.

Last edited by seeker; 08/21/12 09:52 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Expert
Expert
The package shown must be later than version 1 for DOS as it has drums, bass and piano. The version I have on the HP only has drums and bass.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,305
Posts731,336
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213