#171620 08/30/12 07:16 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
John L Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
This looks like it might be pretty nice with BIAB. I'm afraid it might be a little pricey.
Integra

John L #171621 08/30/12 07:47 PM
Veteran
Veteran
It does look interesting. I had not seen this before. Thanks, John.

I have the Roland Fantom XR, with five of the 12 possible expansion modules. This comes with all 12. Nice.

At first, I thought that would mean it is just using existing sounds, but it said this:

The INTEGRA-7 has over 6,000 internal sounds plus a new stockpile of enhanced SuperNATURAL sounds.

And it has the 3-D stuff that is new for Roland, I think.

Keep in mind, if you buy this, you'll have to prepare a new .PAT file for it if you want to take advantage of its advanced sounds within BIAB. I've written several .PAT files on the PG Music website and can tell you that, once you get the hang of it, writing one is not difficult but it is tedious work. For this unit, you could probably start with one already written for the Fantom X, but then add all 12 expansion modules and then add whatever new sounds. A challenge, but someone will do it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Looks very interesting. Here are some demo songs: http://soundcloud.com/rolandcom/sets/201208-dome-songs
The only pricing I've seen on it seems pretty salty at $2399 list or @1999 at Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Integra7/ Still with all the SRX mods, it could be a good addition.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
And it all started with the old SC-50, SC-55...

May seem pricey for the home enthusiast, but for the pro out there makin' money, the investment may well prove to be well worth it.

Time will tell.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Two thousand sounds about right when you take the Fantom XR and add all twelve SRX modules, which would cost even more.

I listened to the SoundCloud demo link (thanks), and I immediately recognized most of the sounds. There are good jazz tenor and bari solos on Track 3, Daybreak, that I don't have, but most of the rest of it is possible with the sounds I have now. The demos do sound great; somebody worked hard.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
This new expander is an incredible addtion for any keyboard player making demos and composing music for commercial purposes.

Why didn't I learn to play the piano instead of the guitar in the conservatory when I was a child?

Last edited by LtKojak; 09/01/12 10:52 AM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Expert
Expert
I miss my old SC-55 card....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Mac #171627 09/01/12 04:59 PM
J
John L Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
J
Quote:

And it all started with the old SC-50, SC-55...

May seem pricey for the home enthusiast, but for the pro out there makin' money, the investment may well prove to be well worth it.

Time will tell.

--Mac

Mac,
If you (or anyone else) get one report back later and let us know what you think.

John L #171628 09/02/12 10:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to each demo and overall it sounds pretty good but, I have to say I think my Kurzweil PC3 sounds better especially the orchestral string stuff and the techno arp pieces. I thought those strings sounded weak and you should hear the techno synth sounds that my PC3 can put out. I got my PC3 on a closeout for $1,300 because the new K version was just coming out. Now, the current PC3K is around 2-3 grand depending on which size you want. Anyone looking to spend that much needs to check out the many Youtube vids about the PC3. It's incredible imho. Along with the Kronos too. I know those are keyboards and not modules but still, not impressed with this new Roland for that kind of cash. If it was $1,200-1,500 maybe.

Did anybody else notice that there were no classic songs type styles in those demos? No R&B, rock, funk, country, real jazz? Some of it was good stuff but it shows you where they think the music biz is now.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
This does look interesting but….

I got the heads-up email from Roland a few days ago (actually all their new stuff
http://www.rolandconnect.com/ )

a FEW (no brass or woodwinds) addtional individual patches/sounds here

http://www.roland.com/synth/integra/

and a little more to the point about actual specs

http://www.roland.com/products/en/INTEGRA-7/ go to specs tab

My INITIAL impression, given I currently own a XV-5080 (fully populated), Fantom XR (fully populated), and a SC-8850 (not to mention an Motif XS (great acoustic instruments) ) and Fusion- great VA and all round synth) – this module looks like a hybrid of a XV/Fantom and a Sound Canvas (a la SC-8850). It appears you give up some stuff to get some newer stuff. More output options than a Fantom or XV – but NO internal expansion (unless Roland later adds new, in all likelihood proprietary, USB expansion lib’s for sale - downstream).

No user memory for patches (aka parts)/ performances (maybe that’s because storage is done via USB flash??) and sound wise this is definitely stock Roland sounds. You can take that as good or bad depending on your preferences ( I LIKE most Roland sounds). They talk a lot about the acoustic sounds (SuperNATURAL Acoustic) but very little samples/demos of same on web sites yet.

That said, on the surface, this module looks like a nice package and for some folks this might be “it," albeit a not inexpensive “it.”

Some things I ferreted out by watching video, reading ALL the Roland PR, Roland Specs, (from their web site) and starring hard at the available pics:

The Integra-7 (EDITED 3 Sep changed “does NOT have 12 SRX… “ to…. “looks like today it DOES HAVE all 12 SRX complete.” Still doesn’t change fact you can only access four at a time because there are only four virtual slots to put them in and if you load all four you then give add loading one of the new natural SuperNATURAL banks

EDITED 3 Sep - re-reading Roland literature TODAY for another forum an ad phrase appears to have changed from

• Producer’s “must-have” sounds from the…..” SRX Expansion sound…”

To

• Producer’s “must-have” SRX Expansion sound library….

Of course I could have cut and pasted it wrong yesterday??? Or I was on (off?) my meds yesterday – in any case looks like I put up wrong info yesterday.

Also you must load whichever built-in SRX board set into one of FOUR available virtual slots. Also the SuperNATURAL sets (and there are six) share those same existing virtual slots, if you want to us them as well.

So while you have access to 18 libraries (12 SRX and 6 “natural”) only 4 at a time can be loaded in the virtual slots - plus whatever (???) the native patches consist of (which looks a lot like the XV preset list). Nothing to sneeze at, but in terms total number of on-demand AVAILABLE actually less than XV-5080 (when fully SRX and SR-JV populated) which is less than Fantom XR (fully populated) .

And then there are some details which I don’t see example: the amount of “user” patches/performances memory? Based on “description” looks like those patches/parts that can be edited (maybe on a “by performance mix” only basis ?) can be stored on external USB memory ??? Maybe not at all (but I would like to believe you CAN SAVE what you edit somewhere/somehow)?.

Nothing wrong with storing on external USB media, and I actually see that as PLUS if that is the case. It’s just ill-defined/vague/buried in the descriptions. My Alesis Fusion 8HD is like that, in that the number of “user” patches/performances are virtually unlimited (limited only by mass storage - in my case a 128GB HDD)

All the above, PLUS watching video and trying to read front panel buttons (from pics) this unit reminds me an awful lot of my SC-8850 in operations.

PLUS UP from XV/Fantom: each of the 16 Integra-7 parts can be assigned to its own individual MFX block. The XV and Fantom only had a total of 3 MFX blocks – each part could be routed to any ONE of these but still only had 3 MFX – the Integra-7 has 16 MFX blocks.

You do get both a part Editor for iPad or as a VST plug in.
Finally, If they are pushing the “natural” or acoustic sounds I am surprised at the limited number (actually almost a lack) of the number of sample songs or individual patch/parts available on Roland site so far.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 09/03/12 08:54 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Every sound module has it's good and bad sounds. None of them are perfect. Fortunately there is no significant difference in latency in hardware sound modules (5 or 6 ms is typical) so you can mix and match to your hearts content.

Best sax for this song on the Yamaha? Use it. Best strat guitar on the Studio Canvas? Choose it for the guitar while keeping the sax on the Yamaha. Best piano on the Kurzweil? You know what to do. And so on.........

I still occasionally use voices from my old Roland MT-32 and my old Yamaha TX81z. Why? Because they may be the best for a particular instrument on a particular song.

You can't have too many sound modules, and never-ever get rid of one.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Notes

+1

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #171632 09/03/12 05:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Notes

+1

and yet another +1

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Notes

+1

and yet another +1

And yet another +1 from someone who has and still uses on occasion a Yamaha TX81Z, Kawai Gmega, Roland M-SE1 and a Roland JV880. I have never lost a hardware synth do to OS upgrades from an Atari ST to Windows 7. I’d rather not talk about my software losses!

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #171634 09/03/12 06:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I still have a Yamaha FB-01!!! And a Roland MT-32. They are sitting in a closet, but just knowing they are there....

I have 120 sounds in my ESQ-1, 2 carts with 160 more each, an SQ1 with 200 onboard and 200 in a card, and an EPS16+ sampler, a TS10 with 120, and a VFX with 120, so I think I am covered.

But still knowing those old analogs are there just in case....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Veteran
Veteran
+1 for holding on to hardware synths

with the caveat that, at least in the case of Roland, each step up for me has included all the sounds of the prior one. I used to have an Edirol SD-80, which has the same sound set as what I recall Notes was using, the SD-90. I didn't lose anything moving to the Roland Fantom XR. It seems as if that would again be the case with the Roland Integra7, depending on the points Larry was making.

Veteran
Veteran
My Yamaha organ / 3 manual Electone thing with a jack for a leslie on the back is in the drive to go to the dump. No one wanted it. It sounds good, I never used the beat/drum part, nor the upper little manual, but it served a purpose. I did run an extension cord to it and ran through mac the Knife one more time for old times sakes.

As I told the organist at a fairly large church, I could fool lots of people with a little Korg. With the right speakers and eq they would think a pipe organ was installed, and that some violins were playing.

My 2cents worth. I still have a JV1010 gathering dust, and the Ketron almost never gets used, the Realtracks are the cat's meow. Forget the night screech though, I think that came from the old FM thing!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
I have a half dozen sound modules and a couple of hardware samplers. I too started on the Atari ST computer. And all the sound modules that worked on the Atari, worked on DOS, worked on all versions of Windows, and worked on all Macs from the Motorola Macs to the Power PC Macs to the Intel Macs.

And no upgrades were necessary.

What software from the 1980s works today? Will your software synths work tomorrow?

Sure the older modules have some dated sounds on them but (1) sometimes when doing dated material those sounds are right and (2) they also have sounds that are still very good today and are not covered by newer modules. Example 1: I have never found anything that replaces "Doctor Solo" on the MT32 - Example 2: The FM vibes, Rhodes and other melodic percussion instruments on the TX81z sound great (this is where FM shines).

Plus MIDI is so editable. You can do dozens of things in MIDI that cannot be done with audio.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Well I was around back then. I still see Midi fading away.

The next version will perhaps have backwards compatibility for some things, but the need to use embedded codes to run other devices will find us with an audio stream using some sort of transport protocol.

It's too cumbersome right now for big productions to properly manipulate things.

Something simple like a page turn on a 'reader' for all the people in the 'orchestra'.

Not a lot of new midi devices coming out, there seems to be a dearth of them.

I might not see it, but I'm sure the younger members will laugh at that midi gear. At least what new modules we have are smaller. I contemplated gluing the Ketron SD2 to the bottom of my Korg. So far a big clamp holds it on one end of a shop power bar that has a dozen plugs.

Evolution happens, even in music. The William Tell overture still sounds good, but my wife thinks of bugs bunny. I 'evolved' and forgot that. The idyllic part before the chaos is still cool to my ears.

Thunderstorms are starting, going to last 20 hours. I can hear it in the distance, to the south. Hope to get some sleep despite that...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
OK, now you got me questioning my path forward. I have two Oberheim Matrix 1000's. Used to run them coupled together to get one 12 note poly unit or to get stereo layers. Since I'm driving romplers more these days with the DX7II, was thinking of selling one of the Oberheims and using the funds to buy newer hardware and software. Maybe that's not such a good idea huh? Keep the analog and ditch the digital...maybe the TX802 should go. Its so hard to say goodbye to old friends.

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,665
Posts735,644
Members38,534
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Elizabeth Stephen, Jeffrey thomas, skyanderson3, akbrpra, Benfil77
38,533 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 176