Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
"Realtime" plugins are non-destructive because they can be removed and remixed. Or changed and remixed.
Effects in the 'Edit' pulldown (for audio) are destructive. They get hard wrote and replace the original data.

Realtime effects play through the effect every time it plays (or mixes down)
But RB does contain some destructive FX out of the bos in the Edit-Audio Effcts menu.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Destructive editing, applying plugins etc all involve either resampling, dithering, etc and that introduces digital artifacts ...

Now, in a previous thread, I was told that onboard, plug in effects, are NON DESTRUCTIVE editing because they can be reversed by removing them from the track and the original will remain intact. So which is it? Destructive or non destructive?

Plugins are non-destructive (meaning you can go back to the source) -- but the output of them "involves either resampling, dithering, etc..."

Maybe he should have said "Destructive editing or applying plugins"

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
RealBand
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

applying plugins etc all involve either resampling, dithering, etc and that introduces digital artifacts

Really sorry, Bob, but we're still some way off a meeting of minds here. Re-sampling and dithering occurs only when there is a change in bit rate or frequency and this isn't the case with the trim plugin to which you refer.

The basic trim plugin is just another volume control and has no more effect on the signal than moving the channel fader. It is the digital equivalent of the gain control and pad switch which sit at the top of the channel strip of an analog mixer. These are there because the mixer is receiving signals from an external source, not necessarily the tape recorder and they allow the channel to be calibrated for optimum efficiency.

In a DAW, the mixer is an integral part of the recorder and it's not possible to record anything onto a track which that track's mixer channel is unable to play back. That is, a track which has been recorded and normalized will still not overload the input to that track's mixer channel. The sum of the channel outputs can overload the master buss, which is why watching the meters is so important.

Dithering will occur when a recording is made in 24bit, but the end result is destined for CD at 16bit. This is why some engineers prefer to work in 16bit for CD, particularly as the majority of recorded music doesn't require the extended dynamic range of 24bit. Whether or not the artifacts caused by dithering can be heard is the subject of another debate.

ROG.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
you replied to me and quoted someone else there ROG

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Popping in here again.

I can't speak for RB's internal audio mix engine, but as far as I know, with most DAW software, when one renders the project to .wav, the output faders are very often automated and by golly they have an effect on how much a particular track contributes to the overall mix level.

I record at 24 bit because it lets me be lazy. I used to sweat the details when all I had available was 16 bit. I would almost always record as close to zero dB on the meters as possible, because on each and every track, that gave me the best signal to noise ratio. With 24 bit A/D, there's an additional 48 dB (6 dB for every bit) of quantization signal to noise ratio available over recording in 16 bit. If I can't make good use of somewhere in that 48 dB then I kind of shouldn't be in the hobby.

The output mix VU meter in any DAW software should tell you if you are into digital output clipping territory. Go red=bad. Stay out of the red=good. It's really that simple. If the render to .wav option inside of RB doesn't simply map this to whatever bit depth and sample rate you choose, then there's a problem.

You should be able to mix to your heart's content inside the PG software. If you have to mix in a different software than what you record, either one of three things is happening: the record software needs some work, or you need to learn how to mix properly inside of it, or there is some feature in your other DAW you should be pounding on PG to include inside RB.

RB, as far as I can tell, is pretty capable to handle the mixing task. Mixing is one of the simplest functions of any DAW software. Why one should have to go outside of it is a bit beyond my comprehension, to be honest.

I think I'm really missing something here. Also, for nearly all intents and purposes with computing power and capability of the last 5 years, you should be able to mix entirely without destructive editing. All of this discussion about the destructive edit aspect of things is one of those things that should quickly fade to the past in your toolbox - that is my experience. It's faded into memory as computing power has increased and DAW software takes advantage of multiple computing cores.

Used to be I did alot of rendering of individual tracks and effects to audio to keep the CPU load down in a project while mixing. However, with my track counts of normally under 12 or so, it's rare that I'm killing the CPU on my lappy which has a quad-core processor, with several VSTi and VST all saying to the CPU "Hey, I need to use you for a second" simultaneously. Keep in mind the effects that are nearly always most CPU hungry are time-based modulation effects like reverb and delay. This is because they require CPU calculation not only on the current sample, but all of those previous samples that are still in the 'tail'. Very CPU hungry. Learn how to bus them to keep CPU happy. Fader changes are just about the least amount of CPU churn that's possible. If I remember my rudimentary digital arithmetic from way back in about 1987 or so, fader changes are simply a gain change which is simply a multiply or divide operation. Bit shifting, I believe. Way simple for the CPU. Guess why multiply and divide were on some of the first digital calculators? It's simple for the calculator. Doing a destructive gain change is just not a good spending of your time and it's destructive. You can't ever change it back - not saying that going back and changing one's mind is always productive - usually it's not.

I read on here lots of folks that say something like: I use RB to record and compose, then I take all my tracks over to XYZ for mixing (insert your 2nd DAW of choice here for XYZ). What a pain in the bum! What is it about program XYZ that is so much better than RB, or PTPA?

I haunt KVRaudio quite a bit and there there are folks using everything from tracker type sequencers to ginormous ProTools rigs and all manner of stuff in between. It's a VERY rare occurrence to read anything there about people regularly transferring projects from one DAW to another just for mixing purposes. Here, it's talked about often. There you'll read more arguments about folks doing tape transfers into ProTools or Logic or something, or mixing using purely outboard busses like the Dangerous audio summing boxes and such, but rarely are there project transfers from one DAW to another simply to mix and render to either 2 track or whatnot.

You must have your reasons for keeping your head wrapped around two different DAW softwares. I have a hard enough time learning one deeply. I'd like to hear what your reasons are because that transfer of a recording project from DAW to a different DAW as at the very heart of this discussion.

For what it's worth, I've collaborated with folks sending me rendered audio from these DAW softwares in the past and used them with zero issue with me providing tracks back to them:

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Mastertracks (I think that's what it was called - it's the other DAW Mac uses also)
ProTools
Cubase
Reason
FL Studio
Tracktion
Garageband
Logic

there may be others, I just don't know. It's never been an issue. Never been a signal to noise ratio issue importing or exporting.

You must have your reasons for doing this. If one is simply just using RB to generate the band tracks, then I can understand the appeal of this specific use, and then using the workflow of a different DAW software. But if you are doing ANY mixing in RB, and then moving to a different DAW, then I don't get it.

Just curious to hear reasoning from anyone who has bothered to read this rather long sermon.

-Scott

RealBand
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

you replied to me and quoted someone else there ROG

Sorry about that, rharv. It was after midnight at the end of a long day and I forgot to click on the reply box, so it defaulted to you. It was just coincidence that the quote was from another Bob.

I wouldn't try to involve you in a discussion involving dithering - I seem to remember it not being your favorite subject! (Not mine either, actually.)

ROG.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Didn't someone write a song "dithering the day away"?

I'm finding this discussion fascinating. I still wonder then why all the advice from all these pros about recording at such low levels? I completely believe you guys that it's fine to record as hot as is appropriate for a particular part and simply adjust the faders for mixing. I threw out my comment about resampling or whatever just as a guess but apparently that's not it either.

I just did an experiment in RB. Starting with a new blank project I put in one chord on bar one then in track view highlighted the first 12 bars. I then generated a rock Real Drum part and it generated very low, I got one bar at the bottom of the VU meter about -24db. Then I generated a strong RT guitar track, a Brent Mason solo and it came in at -18, much louder on the meter. Now here's where a problem can be, the edit window shows individual peaks at 0 for the drums and -3 for the guitar but that is not reflected in the VU meters. They never went above -18 or -24 and that's where the recording person has to know what they're doing because I saw the exact same thing on my live remote band sessions using my Akai HD recorder. These meters are not sensitive enough. Another example of getting bit by consumer level gear and not pro level gear. I'm sure there's remote equipment with good meters that cost triple what I paid.

These levels that RB generated for guitar and drums are exactly correct per these websites so RB is doing it right. For drums RB is making sure the peaks are not going above zero even though that makes the overall track almost inaudible because the dynamic range on live drums is so high. This is also why a lot of live recordists put a compressor on the drum inputs. I never did, I just applied compression later. RB "knows" that as far as raw tracks are concerned an engineer doesn't want any manipulation going on the he didn't specifically ask for.

In conclusion to all this for Eddie, if you've already laid down some live tracks like your vocals, keyboards and sax and then have RB generate new tracks don't get upset that RB is generating them too low, understand it's actually doing it right. You need to first turn up your monitoring system and then use the mixer faders to pull down your prerecorded tracks, not manipulate the new ones up. At least not yet. A good engineer is going to want to hear what those new tracks sound like in the mix with no changes at first, just raw. Then he'll decide what to do, apply compression, EQ, all of that stuff. And for the future record your live tracks lower to avoid this. In other words follow RB's lead, it turns out Jeff knows what he's doing. And, it looks like I just answered my question at the beginning of this post.

I have to say these discussion with me throwing in some correct stuff and getting others wrong, I've learned a lot.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 10/26/12 01:36 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Okay so now I get to the climax.....

Let's say for sake of saying that I have recorded drums, bass, guitar, piano, organ, strings, vocals, 2 tracks of BGV, and a guitar solo. As I solo those tracks, they are all this hot on the VU meter.

| |
| |
|X
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

When I play them back together, will that level stay right there or will the level with all tracks summed become X x 10 and go off the charts?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Bob. I think we're getting there!

Just to expand on your comments about VU meters, all music contains what are called instantaneous peaks which can last for milliseconds, but will effect the overall level. The VU meter is designed to give a more average view of the perceived volume and has a damping factor which ignores these peaks. In effect, anything which lasts for less than about 300 milliseconds won't register on the meter. Some "posh" desks have meters which will switch between VU mode and PPM mode (Peak Program Mode) to enable the engineer to get a more comprehensive view of what's going on.

A small amount of upward limiting can be applied to most tracks to get rid of the instantaneous peaks and increase volume without overly effecting the sound. As you correctly say, RealTracks are recorded to give the engineer the option of treating the track, or not.

ROG.

RealBand
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie.

It's good to have the tracks recorded hot, but yes, if you push all the faders up full you'll have the main VUs off the scale. Just ride the faders and keep an eye on the meters. Alternatively, use the main subgroup fader (A1) to bring down the overall level of the mix before it hits the main output buss.

ROG.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I wouldn't try to involve you in a discussion involving dithering - I seem to remember it not being your favorite subject! (Not mine either, actually.)

ROG.

http://izotope.fileburst.com/guides/Dithering_With_Ozone.pdf

Good basic explanation

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Ouch, me brain are sore from reading dat! Glad it twere only bay-sick! Me use Dithering but only because it is a default setting in Logic Pro 9. What me know won't hurt I! I go nappy now. Peas Oot!

RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Page 11 in December issue of Electronic Musician magazine addresses this in a concise answer to a reader question. Assumes 24 bit recording, says record at around -6 dB peak on your DAW's input meters. Also says to mix to -6 dB on the output bus meter to leave a little headroom for changes in mastering.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
To address your question Scott about why would someone move a project from RB to another DAW for mixing.

It's workflow for me. Audition does edits much faster than RB does. Example, cutting, pasting or sliding audio tracks. RB does that just fine but does it slowly while Audition does it almost instantly. I could not figure that out until I realized Audition creates some kind of temp files and is working with those initially. When you're finished with your project in Audition and save it that's when you discover it. Audition will ask you what do you want to do with all those edited temp files. You could save each and every one of them into a separate directory if you wanted to. If you don't and just want to save your result as your primary project then you click "no to all" and it will go through a very elaborate "flushing temp files" thing that can take 10-15 minutes depending on how many edits you did. For me working with live band recording tracks it was a ton of edits and one song would take maybe 20 minutes to save. RB apparantly does not do that, it handles the edits in real time so it "appears" to work much slower but then saves the project in a few seconds. In reality when you include the save time in Audition, I think both programs are about the same in the total time it takes to edit, mix and save the same project. It's just that the initial workflow is much, much faster in Audition and I like that.

There's other things like the audio edit window is full screen in Audition, you have much more control over it with the mouse than you do in RB, stuff like that. So, bottom line I stopped importing those projects into PT/RB and started with Audition several years ago.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bob, that makes sense. Feature requests submitted?

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I think I may have stumbled on to something that has been at the root of a lot of this conversation. We have different schools of thought, but I think there has been a lot of "cross conception" going on here.

I believe we need to differentiate between RECORDING hot and MIXING hot. It seems like different responses are using those two terms interchangeably and that is not what the original question was about.

My past practice (and present practice for that matter) is to RECORD tracks with a good deal of gain on them, so they reach a top level of about -3db. So the gain stage when recording is rather hot, but not reaching 0 or clipping at all.

However, when I MIX those tracks, I pull them down until the channel slider is totally off and then bring them up to where they rarely go beyond -6db or -4db. I record them hotter so there is some meat there if I would want to go any higher when I mix.

Once again I restate this thought and maybe it hasn't been presented in proper context. When mixing down, I can always cut a hotter track, but I can't boost a weaker one. When the slider is as far up as it can go, it's done and then I have to start looking to pull down the other 9, or 12, or 16. Why pull down 9 or 12 or 16 channels because one is weak when, recording that one hotter would prevent that? Digital, analog, digilog or anatal (I made those up!!)... whatever. As long as there is no clip anywhere it is fine.

Thing is, if I mix something down and dump it into a merged stereo wav file, as soon as I get it into Audition I am going to use the gain feature anyway and make it swell up to the full size of the window and see if the VU meters clip or not. I can handle some yellow. Orange is pushing it, but I never go so far where I see any red.

Is that just restating what has been said here or has there actually be a terminology gap about recording hot vs mixing hot?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Quote:

... Once again I restate this thought and maybe it hasn't been presented in proper context. When mixing down, I can always cut a hotter track, but I can't boost a weaker one. When the slider is as far up as it can go, it's done and then I have to start looking to pull down the other 9, or 12, or 16. Why pull down 9 or 12 or 16 channels because one is weak when, ...

I thought we covered this one in the other thread. There are three or four ways to boost a "weaker" track. In most DAWs you can also group tracks together and by moving one fader, ALL the faders will move with it. Can RB do that? It is a quick and easy way to bring down a bunch of tracks at once to start off with a more balanced mix.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I think I may have stumbled on to something that has been at the root of a lot of this conversation. We have different schools of thought, but I think there has been a lot of "cross conception" going on here.

I believe we need to differentiate between RECORDING hot and MIXING hot. It seems like different responses are using those two terms interchangeably and that is not what the original question was about.

My past practice (and present practice for that matter) is to RECORD tracks with a good deal of gain on them, so they reach a top level of about -3db. So the gain stage when recording is rather hot, but not reaching 0 or clipping at all.

However, when I MIX those tracks, I pull them down until the channel slider is totally off and then bring them up to where they rarely go beyond -6db or -4db. I record them hotter so there is some meat there if I would want to go any higher when I mix.

Once again I restate this thought and maybe it hasn't been presented in proper context. When mixing down, I can always cut a hotter track, but I can't boost a weaker one. When the slider is as far up as it can go, it's done and then I have to start looking to pull down the other 9, or 12, or 16. Why pull down 9 or 12 or 16 channels because one is weak when, recording that one hotter would prevent that? Digital, analog, digilog or anatal (I made those up!!)... whatever. As long as there is no clip anywhere it is fine.

Thing is, if I mix something down and dump it into a merged stereo wav file, as soon as I get it into Audition I am going to use the gain feature anyway and make it swell up to the full size of the window and see if the VU meters clip or not. I can handle some yellow. Orange is pushing it, but I never go so far where I see any red.

Is that just restating what has been said here or has there actually be a terminology gap about recording hot vs mixing hot?

You are 100% correct in what you're saying here.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I thought we covered this one in the other thread. There are three or four ways to boost a "weaker" track. In most DAWs you can also group tracks together and by moving one fader, ALL the faders will move with it. Can RB do that? It is a quick and easy way to bring down a bunch of tracks at once to start off with a more balanced mix.

Yes, RB has subgroup routing ..

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,636
Posts735,303
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181