Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Dear Musicians --

Please help.

I have this mixer...

Behringer XENYX 1202FX Premium 12-Input 2-Bus Mixer

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-XENYX-12...NYX1202FX+Mixer

...which has 2 outputs, both 1/4", for L and R.

I want to know what hardware I need to get from that mixer to my computer and put the digital recording into Audacity or Reaper or something similar.

I looking online and found this nice article...

http://m.wikihow.com/Record-Live-Music

...and it suggests that I need an "audio interface" like this.

I found this audio-interface online at Amazon...

Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface with Digital Output And Massive Software Bundle

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-U...o+interface+usb

...and I am wondering if that is good enough.

Of course, I need to stay within a tight budget here.

I definitely need at least live-recording capability such that all the instruments playing into the mixer get put on 1 track and pushed into Audacity.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a live-recording capability such that each instrument is saved on a separate track.

This is just for rough-cut, live-to-tape, basic recording to capture jam-sessions and rehearsals for our own personal review-- this is not for recording-studio-quality track-recording-- this is just for live-recording and the only re-touching that I would want to do (if any) is to set volume levels so the parts are balanced in volume.

My computer is Windows 7 with USB connectors.

So, I think the questions are...

(1). What hardware do I need to connect my mixer to my computer to record live-recordings as single-track?

(2). What hardware do I need to connect my mixer to my computer to record live-recordings as multi-track?

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mark.

1) This is easy - the mixer you have plus the interface you mention will work to record in stereo into Audacity.

2) This is more complicated. Firstly you need a much more expensive interface which has multiple inputs - as many as the number of tracks you want to record simultaneously. Then you need a new mixer with direct outputs on each channel, so that these can be connected to the interface. Finally, you need software which will record several tracks at the same time. Something like Power Tracks is as good and cheap as anything. If you decide on this route, there are lots of people on the forum who will recommend interfaces.

ROG.

EDIT - Some interfaces will allow you to connect mics and instruments straight in without the mixer, but you lose the facilities which the mixer has, such as EQ and effects.

Last edited by ROG; 11/02/12 11:51 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Multi meaning left and right or multi meaning more than 2?

If you want to record multi tracks where you mean laying track upon track upon track, we'd need to know more.

Is what you are doing recording a band in the room with everything running through your mixer and you want it to record on individual tracks?

Do you have a credit card with a lot of room on it, because you are now talking about multi track capable hardware. Somewhere in the bowels of these forums you will find a thread about my experiene with Mark of the Unicorn hardware. That would required a fairly expensive interface card for your computer (I think it cost me like $175 used) amd a couple of hardware interfaces (MOTUs were fine for me, but the will do only 8 tracks of analog audio each, so you'll need at least 2. $85-ish used on Craigslist or eBay.) And a bunch of patch cables, one per channel. Then some kind of DAW software that will record multitrack input, unless you play in perfect tune, time and balance on the first take. If you just record those many tracks mixed down to one left and one right into Audacity, you are cool with just Audacity running and you can mix the levels at the mixer. If you want to do any dubbing, redos of a section, etc... remember that with just a L and a R you have no control over just the bass, just the piano, just the guitar.... everything is ganged together.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Save yourself a lot of time, money and aggravation and do a lot of reading before you buy anything. Here is a good place to start:

http://www.audiominds.com/index.html

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
As others have said, it's not a necessity to use a mixer in between your signal sources and a multi-channel audio interface.

I've been doing home recording that way for nearly 20 years - never had a mixer in the system.

Mixers can be useful, but not necessary. And since they are powered and so forth, they do add a source of noise into your recorded signal chain - if that matters to you.

Depending on how many channels you want to record, you need to consider how many condenser microphones you will simultaneously record for separate processing in your software, as these need phantom power - The number of phantom powered channels in an audio interface is probably the main source of expense, as a general rule of thumb.

If you want to bus down drum tracks into two-channel pairs - then you can use your existing mixer to provide power to those condensers and record drums by themselves as a two track then overdub other stuff - that's a way of working that is also well-worn and proven out - and the interface will be less expensive.

Best wishes and welcome to the home recording world.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mark, if you just bought that Behringer you could return it and get this one:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEH1204USB

Same mixer but with USB so it is it's own interface plus they give you some good looking software to go with it. If you need more inputs then go for the next one up.

Scott is also correct, any good interface that is not a physical mixer comes with a software mixer so everything is handled inside your computer but if you need 4 or 6 or more mic/line inputs for live recording then those are expensive and this Behringer is a better buy money wise.

I also agree don't be in a hurry to buy anything just yet, do some reading first. Whether or not you'll be using condenser mic's is merely one thing for you to think about. Condenser's require phantom power and if you don't know what that is and you're new interface you just bought doesn't have that then that's a big oops. There's lots of those floating around. You have to really think about exactly what you're planning to do and how you're doing it then understand what equipment is required for that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
rsdean 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.