Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#183621 - 12/10/12 07:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Entering guitar chords with capo [Re: Pat Marr]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
The trick is to look at the yellow caution message reminding you a global transposition is in effect. If you want this to be saved song by song, then be sure to complete the Memo field.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#183622 - 12/12/12 05:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Entering guitar chords with capo [Re: jcland]
FB Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Bréhal France
Hello,
I'm still confused. I know the effect of capo on guitar.
But, first, I don't remember how to find the correct key for this piece of music starting from the guitar chords. If someone would give me a little lesson about that it will help me for the beginning.
The second point is that I would like to keep the chords with capo on the second fret for the guitar track. Because, if I play a D with capo on 2nd fret, counting -2, it is a C but it doesn't sounds the same!
How to say to BIAB that I don't want the "classical" C chord for that track only but an other?
Thanks for your help.
FB

#183623 - 12/12/12 07:07 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Entering guitar chords with capo [Re: FB]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Hello,
I'm still confused. I know the effect of capo on guitar.
But, first, I don't remember how to find the correct key for this piece of music starting from the guitar chords. If someone would give me a little lesson about that it will help me for the beginning.
The second point is that I would like to keep the chords with capo on the second fret for the guitar track. Because, if I play a D with capo on 2nd fret, counting -2, it is a C but it doesn't sounds the same!
How to say to BIAB that I don't want the "classical" C chord for that track only but an other?
Thanks for your help.
FB

if your capo is on the 2nd fret, and the 1st position chord you are playing would normally be a "D" without the capo, then you are actually playing an E chord because the capo raises the pitch of what you're playing 2 frets (a whole step)

The number you enter in OPT>PREFERENCES>DISPLAY>TRANSPOSE (-2) is basically saying that the chord sheet will show the chords 2 frets lower than the actual key of the song. If you move the CAPO UP this number goes DOWN by the same value.

Hope that explanation answers the question you wanted answered. If not, keep asking. We're patient.

PS: The actual key of the song has more to do with the sharps and flats that are required for the melody than it has to do with the chords...but as a general rule, the last chord in the song often indicates the key of the song.

#183624 - 12/12/12 10:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Entering guitar chords with capo [Re: Pat Marr]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Quote:

if your capo is on the 2nd fret, and the 1st position chord you are playing would normally be a "D" without the capo, then you are actually playing an E chord because the capo raises the pitch of what you're playing 2 frets (a whole step)

The number you enter in OPT>PREFERENCES>DISPLAY>TRANSPOSE (-2) is basically saying that the chord sheet will show the chords 2 frets lower than the actual key of the song. If you move the CAPO UP this number goes DOWN by the same value.

FB, the key words in Pat’s explanation is “the actual key of the song”. Using the D fingering with the capo on the second fret example if you want to hear that E chord but want to see a D chord on the chord sheet you must input the song in the concert pitch chords or as Pat said the actual chords you are hearing. Then you can use the –2 transposition option to see the D chord but hear the E chord.

Good luck

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

Forum Stats
27830 Members
51 Forums
52996 Topics
439829 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
yeto, tdh10, Damian Lluch, milesk, alvesbdanilo

27828 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 147
David Snyder 137