Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#185525 - 12/21/12 10:58 PM [Off-Topic] What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ?
Joe V Offline
Expert

Loc: NYC
What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ?

I'm into the classic rock and pop from 70's and 80's, as well as singer/songwriter stuff (from the same era - I'm old), and would also like to get into some of the more recent rock and pop.

Quite some time ago (many years!!!) I downloaded everything that "?Allanah?" (forget the exact name) had compiled, and found some really great stuff in there. Many years have passed - I need to update my Karaoke Library - one of my favorite uses of RB is "Karaoke" night using RB in conjunction with downloaded Karaoke MIDI transcriptions, with the option of recording (have any of you tried it ? - it's a real crowd pleaser).

Regards,
Joe V

#185526 - 12/21/12 11:56 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Joe V]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
SoundCloud

#185527 - 12/22/12 12:51 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: MusicStudent]
CountryTrash Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Benoni, South Africa
I also use karaoke-version.com the nice thing about them is they have instrumental versions available where you can download each instrument track seperately.

I used to care, but things have changed (Bob Dylan)

BIAB 2017W + RB
M-Audio FastTrack C600, Rode NT2-A
Digitech VoiceLive 4

Epiphone Sheraton, Ibanez 12str, Washburn 6str, Cort 6Str Nylon
Yanagisawa Tenor Sax

#185528 - 12/22/12 06:05 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: CountryTrash]
Joe V Offline
Expert

...just curious about the copyright issues with distributing accurate MIDI transcriptions of other artists' coprited songs - do the authors of such MIDI files have to pay royalties ?

#185529 - 12/22/12 09:41 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Joe V]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

...just curious about the copyright issues with distributing accurate MIDI transcriptions of other artists' coprited songs - do the authors of such MIDI files have to pay royalties ?

Well,we do pay the site for the downloads (very cheap for what you are getting) so we can only assume they are paying on their end also.

Although, maybe just like the new pot laws, you can use it but you can't sell it or buy it. In this case you can sell it and buy it, but the laws prevent you from using it. What a country

#185530 - 12/22/12 10:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Joe V]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

I'm into the classic rock and pop from 70's and 80's, as well as singer/songwriter stuff (from the same era - I'm old) . . .

Whippersnapper!

#185531 - 12/22/12 11:11 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: MusicStudent]
Pat Marr Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I'm curious to know why you want to do that when you have BIAB/RB, which provide the absolute best way to create your own high quality backing tracks?

I USED to do what you're doing... but I decided long ago that BIAB/RB could get me to an end product that pleased me MUCH quicker. The karaoke files start out strong, but I always ended up at a point where something I wanted was missing, and there was no way to get it back.

#185532 - 12/22/12 11:20 AM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Ryszard]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
there are a lot of cool files in this site just make sure if you want scrolling lyrics to practice with that you download .kar files or you have to enter them separately

http://www.vanbasco.com/

here is another

http://www.nifter.com/midi_karaoke_songs_free_downloads.htm

what you do is right click and save to a folder.

Also to find more just do a google search for "free .kar files"
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#185533 - 12/22/12 06:47 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Robh]
Shastastan Offline
Expert

Loc: CA
I agree with all of the above and I also use karaoke downloads from Amazon sometimes--Only 99 cents each. I mostly do it when I can't find a decent midi song or chart to do my own.

#185534 - 12/22/12 06:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Ryszard]
Joe V Offline
Expert

Quote:

Quote:

I'm into the classic rock and pop from 70's and 80's, as well as singer/songwriter stuff (from the same era - I'm old) . . .

Whippersnapper!

Funny I used that term the other day when asking a guy (probably in his 20's or early 30's) who recommended a website with some great price drops on computer games which particular games he would recommend. He replied that these computer games were "not just regular old - they're very old". I reminded him to be careful - that I remembered when electronic pinball machines came out, as well as pong, space invaders, and asteroids, and proceeded to call him a 'whipper snapper' (which was also a term before his time). BTW - if you haven't done it already, and if you look up the origin of whippersnapper, you might find it quite interesting : )

#185535 - 12/22/12 07:02 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Pat Marr]
Joe V Offline
Expert

Quote:

I'm curious to know why you want to do that when you have BIAB/RB, which provide the absolute best way to create your own high quality backing tracks?

I USED to do what you're doing... but I decided long ago that BIAB/RB could get me to an end product that pleased me MUCH quicker. The karaoke files start out strong, but I always ended up at a point where something I wanted was missing, and there was no way to get it back.

...because I'm more of technician than a creative artist, and obsessive enough that anything I come up with and play doesn't sound nearly as good to me as the original arrangement...and most people that ask to hear a song often expect something really close to the original. But for musicianship, creativity, or artistry - I would be less concerned with the original arrangement and more interested in putting a personal, creative stamp on it : )

#185536 - 12/22/12 07:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Joe V]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Quote:

Quote:

...because I'm more of technician than a creative artist, and obsessive enough that anything I come up with and play doesn't sound nearly as good to me as the original arrangement...and most people that ask to hear a song often expect something really close to the original. But for musicianship, creativity, or artistry - I would be less concerned with the original arrangement and more interested in putting a personal, creative stamp on it : )

I'll give you a different view than what Pat did. I'm a HUGE fan of BIAB and RB, but it's EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming to make accurate backing tracks that contain all of the hooks, phrases and nuances of popular tunes.

If you just want backing tracks in the style and genre of a particular song, but you don't need the hooks, phrases and nuances to go along with it, it's easy to do with BIAB and RB.

It just depends on what you looking for.

I'll probably catch some flak for saying that, but I don't think we should mislead folks about the products.

#185537 - 12/22/12 07:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Veteran

Quote:

I'll give you a different view than what Pat did. I'm a HUGE fan of BIAB and RB, but it's EXTREMELY difficult and time consuming to make accurate backing tracks that contain all of the hooks, phrases and nuances of popular tunes.

snip

I'll probably catch some flak for saying that, but I don't think we should mislead folks about the products.

well.. actually, I think it is FAR easier to add the hooks in real band, simply because of the work flow.

If you start by adding the original song to its own track, then use ACW to get the chords, and real tracks to approximate the rhythm section... you can finish up by merging any portion of the original recording with your part.

Typically signature intros, solos and endings occur in parts of the song where there is no singing. Just raise the volume on the reference track and lower the volume on the rhythm tracks, and bingo... you've got ALL the signature sounds.. and they sound better than anything you'll get in a karaoke track.

we could argue about whether this is legal, but the discussion is already about how to duplicate somebody else's (C) material. I'm not saying you SHOULD do it this way, only saying that it isn't misleading to suggest that these products are the easiest way I've found to get from point A to point B (point B being a finished cover song that sounds just like the original)

#185538 - 12/22/12 08:10 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Pat Marr]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

I told you I’d catch some flak for saying that! LOL.

If a new BIAB user forks over $399.00 to $569.00 for a first time purchase of the Everything Pak and then sits down and tries to make a backing track for Eric Clapton’s song “Cocaine”, they’re probably gonna be ready to pull their hair out after umpteen hours of failure to get anything that even remotely sounds like the song.

I didn’t say it’s impossible, just extremely difficult.

Quote:

they sound better than anything you'll get in a karaoke track

Not all “karaoke” tracks are created equal. Some are terrible, many are pretty good and some others are hard to distinguish from the original recording.

Also, not all “karaoke” tracks are .kar files, (MIDI). A lot of the better quality ones are actually MP3+CDW’s. I was surprised to find that virtually all of my karaoke songs were in that format instead of .kar. (I just found that out yesterday).

Back to the OP’s original question:

Quote:

What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ?

I wouldn’t even consider answering that question by telling him to “make his own”.

#185539 - 12/22/12 08:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
If you don't think only in terms of MIDI or KAR files, there are available a rather large amount of purchasable backing tracks CDs for just about every popular tune. These are royalty paid, well the legal ones are, and they are recorded with topnotch studio players.

A websearch should bring up vendors.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#185540 - 12/22/12 08:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I told you I’d catch some flak for saying that! LOL.

Bob, now this is one time you have got it entirely correct. BIAB is not for covers, unless its a jazz stardard. Not sayin it can't be done, but lets be real here. Just the way it is.

#185541 - 12/22/12 08:37 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: MusicStudent]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Dan,

Quote:

Bob, now this is one time you have got it entirely correct. BIAB is not for covers, unless its a jazz stardard. Not sayin it can't be done, but lets be real here. Just the way it is.

Ditto Dan. If I was a new user to BIAB, I would be thoroughly pissed if someone mislead me into believing something that isn't true about BIAB, ... especially if I purchased it based on their recommendation.

Instead, I came to the program looking for a good practice tool and was pleased by what I found.

#185542 - 12/22/12 08:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Joe V Offline
Expert

I would pay to see Pat do this with some of the more sophisticated songs from my favorite artists - like Queen, David Bowie, Steeley Dan, Mark Knopfler...yada yada. (not sure how much I would pay, but I would pay : )

If Pat's the type to prove a point, you could just share some for free ; )

#185543 - 12/22/12 10:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Joe V]
Veteran

Quote:

I would pay to see Pat do this with some of the more sophisticated songs from my favorite artists - like Queen, David Bowie, Steeley Dan, Mark Knopfler...yada yada. (not sure how much I would pay, but I would pay : )

If Pat's the type to prove a point, you could just share some for free ; )

maybe I'm just one of those people who is too dumb to know what's impossible, so I went and did it. Repeatedly.

Regarding the request for free songs: what you're asking for is impossible! Everybody here knows that!

#185544 - 12/22/12 10:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: What are the best sites to download Midi Karaoke or Song files that are truest to the original arrangements ? [Re: Pat Marr]
eddie1261 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

If you start by adding the original song to its own track, then use ACW to get the chords, and real tracks to approximate the rhythm section... you can finish up by merging any portion of the original recording with your part.

This has always confused me on 2 fronts. When you say "adding the original song" by that do you mean importing a wav or mp3 into RB? The reason I asked this question that way was if you are importing, okay I understand that. but if you are programming a chord chart..... huh? You knew the chords to put them in the chart, so....

And then point 2, I have tried to use that chord wizard thing probably a half dozen times and never saw it even CLOSE to the right chords. I did it on one of my own songs and it was WAY off. A couple from our band's CD. Same thing, WAY off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Forum Stats
28070 Members
57 Forums
54416 Topics
449872 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ugtk, helenmai, chuckster55, KeithR, Andreu Casado

28070 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 156
David Snyder 155