Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#187751 - 01/06/13 02:00 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Don Gaynor]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
What makes ya think that Google search is honest or trustworthy?

One can simply pay them to come up first on a search...

But its not just Google, per se:

Online results in general have often been skewed by nefarious use of scripting and robots, too.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#187752 - 01/06/13 02:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: rockstar_not]
jcspro40 Offline
Expert

Loc: Ohio-USA
Quote:

It would be a boring world if market research was done only by listening to and paying attention to current customers.

I disagree. When I go looking I want to hear how the software/product/ etc is working now, in today's world, and not how it worked "back then"...

Just sayin'
Custom Core2Quad 3.2Ghz, 8gb memory, 1gb nVidia dual monitor card, 1tb OS HDD, 2 2gb Internal HDD, 8tb External HDD, dual LG 27" Monitors, Win7 x64 Ultimate, BiaB/RB 2017, Reaper 4.75, Mixbus 32C, IK Multimedia / iZotope / Plug & Mix VST-VSTi Collections

#187753 - 01/06/13 05:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Mac]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

What makes ya think that Google search is honest or trustworthy?

One can simply pay them to come up first on a search...

But its not just Google, per se:

Online results in general have often been skewed by nefarious use of scripting and robots, too.

--Mac

good point... I DON'T think its completely trustworthy. But I also don't think its completely UN-trustworthy. IMO, it's at least as irrational to completely disregard data as it is to completely trust it. Those rankings look about right to me.

#187754 - 01/06/13 06:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Pat Marr]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

another issue with this "poll" is that they chose what software products to include in their analysis rather than discovering all available products and then ranking them. so, if they left out a product, either inadvertently or intentionally, their chart might be a whole lot less useful. to me for example the fact that Reaper was excluded is an issue. because Reaper is so much less expensive than Pro Tools and because they essentially deliver a fully functional trial that never expires it is difficult to estimate how popular Reaper is but many folks have estimated it is now #2 behind Pro Tools.

#187755 - 01/06/13 07:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Pat Marr]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

...MO, it's at least as irrational to completely disregard data as it is to completely trust it. Those rankings look about right to me.

What happens in a court of law if and when a defendant or witness is found to be telling one lie?

All testimony from that person is considered to be nonvalid.

As to whether data "looks right" to somebody, well, that is hardly the scientific method either, Al Gore the ManBearPig excepted.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#187756 - 01/06/13 07:25 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Mac]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

...MO, it's at least as irrational to completely disregard data as it is to completely trust it. Those rankings look about right to me.

What happens in a court of law if and when a defendant or witness is found to be telling one lie?

As to whether data "looks right" to somebody, well, that is hardly the scientific method either, Al Gore the ManBearPig excepted.

--Mac

"I'm super serial!"

#187757 - 01/06/13 10:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Mac]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Quote:

While that may be true in a court of law, applying that analogy to almost ANY other principle or circumstance would not only be riddled with fallacy, … it would in some cases be downright dangerous.

Imagine if we applied that analogy all the way from a simple white lie, …(like the answer to the question of “does this dress make my butt look big?”), all the way to up to governments and religion of any faith.

Imagine if we applied that principle to the sources of all simple, dominatorial and extravagant lies. All personal communications, all governments and all religion would be invalid, … or as you said, ...“nonvalid”.

Talk about opening a can of worms! Hehe.

#187758 - 01/06/13 11:21 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Don Gaynor Offline
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Bobert, Amico, welcome back from retirement. You have been missed by at least one flatulent old Oyrishman. I honestly expected you to pop out of your gopher hole when I misspelled Bill Munroe and suffered brain fade while naming flat-pickers. I know that you can name dozens of Bluegrassers that I missed. Should I say: "Welcome back?", or are you just here until the cherry harvest?

I assume that you have heard that Mike Auldridge died December 29th? A long bout with prostate cancer.

I tried sending my condolences to his wife, Elise, but his email address is already closed. Mike also has two daughters, Michelle and Loren. Can't find them either.

#187759 - 01/06/13 11:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Mac]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

--Mac

Ok... you got me on that one....
I can't trump the ManBearPig card, so I'm gonna have to surrender now

But, FWIW, Peter Gannon presented the data. You'll have to set ManbearPig loose on him.

#187760 - 01/06/13 11:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Don Gaynor]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Don,

Quote:

I assume that you have heard that Mike Auldridge died December 29th?

I hadn’t heard that Don. My condolences to you as Mike’s friend and to his family.

The music world has lost a very talented musician who not only played from the heart, but helped push his chosen instrument into national prominence.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I’ve watched and listened to him play live several times.

He will be missed.

#187761 - 01/07/13 12:07 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Mac]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I just couldn't sleep so I was reading.

1. Scot says he has no way of getting in touch with who? Wow, I used google, the website here and came up with lots of ways.

2. Google just was exonerated of putting it's own interests first in searches. They now have the right to shove their own sites up to the top, and drop the rest down.

So it's on to getting more companies.

I note that if I google, 'ear mites dog'.

I get answer dot calm and the rest of them first. The grab all the responses to the question and shove them at you. Nice. But I hate that.

Things must be taken with a grain of salt, or a block like the cows lick.

And someone who plays and instrument but does not have Band in a box is broke. Golly, that's the first thing you need, it keeps you motivated, playing and practicing, and improving. There are too many reasons to buy it and own it.

I understand if you don't have dime one. But I have the ,3, 5, 7, 9 and 11.
Don't ask.

#187762 - 01/07/13 10:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: John Conley]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Me personally i lioke the fact that PG music is not aimed at high schoolers and dubsteppers. I spent a ton of time early on in theis hobby over at Acidplanet.com it was unrulely, and crazy there. Tons of fighting, and fussing. Bad manners and the lot. A pile of good music stuffed in the cracks around a bigger pile pf ... er well let's just say Stuff!

I do agree that PG needs to address the VSTi timing issue, and i have spoken out on that one, also the automation needs updating. If those two issues were dealt with to give us a basic automation node based feature, and the timing issue was addressed so programs like Jamstix could sync i do not think i would even need to load another DAW. Actually i have not record a single track in another DAW in months. Still i look forward to those two things being brought to fruition.

As far as Scott not using the program, i also hung around cakewalk long after i stopped really using the program, mostly due to friendships, and familiarity. I also hoped some really good things might happen with the first music software i ever owned. I still pop in once and again to say howdy over there.

Peter i do commend you for even wieghing in here on this. I am sure you read a lot of slack on these boards, and sometimes want to smack us in the head, but are mostly very restrained i might say.

Having said that, I am sure you can understand Scott's point a bit as well. there are in his opinion a couple deal breakers in the process for him as least.

Maybe you could sometime, at least address why these issues continue to be ignored, and please know that if that whatever the reason, most of us do appreciate the direction the system is going, and understand priorities in business. It is just that the VSTi timing and automation have been on the customers list for a looooong time now. So many people clamor for a GUI upgrade, but in reality it works great even with a "dated" look, but these two issues would bring in a few more customers, and really help the ones you have.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#187763 - 01/08/13 03:39 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Robh]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Well, here's today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mus...gulars-20130107,0,701810.story

Appearing in Vegas: "Zedd, Def Leppard, Bassnectar, Skrillex, Diplo, Nero, AVICII, David Guetta, will.i.am, Afrojack, Rusko and Madeon, among dozens of others."

Any who are familiar with these artists, raise their hands.

When they're headlining in Vegas, that's as mainstream as you get. Remember when Elvis settled down at the Hilton for 7 years and how that was the beginning of the end of the big band style orchestras there? I really hate to say it but our stuff including "hip" jazz fusion is basically dead as far as the big picture goes. We're on the periphery looking in.

Bob

#187764 - 01/08/13 06:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: jazzmammal]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Quote:

When they're headlining in Vegas, that's as mainstream as you get. Remember when Elvis settled down at the Hilton for 7 years and how that was the beginning of the end of the big band style orchestras there? I really hate to say it but our stuff including "hip" jazz fusion is basically dead as far as the big picture goes. We're on the periphery looking in.

If we only look at pop music, that's true, Bob

But some of the most successful businesses are those that focus on niche markets, because they are often the only presence in that market. People who focus on whatever is mainstream end up dividing the pie among all the contenders for that market.

That's part of what makes this niche interesting. The baby boomers are still one of the largest economic special interest groups of all time, especially as we approach retirement and have time and disposable income on our hands. Whether or not it's their target I can't say, but PGMusic's products have strong appeal in that market, while everybody else is dividing the pie in the "contemporary" music arena.

But, what is contemporary? A lot of Christian and country music sells quite well in todays marketplace, and PGMusic products are a better match for those genres than anything else.

And you COULD make a hip-hop, TECHNO or TRANCE song in BIAB, but I'd hate to have to make a country song in FLStudio.

Also, among the products that appeal strongly to young 'uns, I wonder how much product they actually SELL, as opposed to how much gets bit-streamed. I would guess that a high percentage of PGMusic's users actually paid for the product, whereas I would bet that A lot of the online activity for those other products is stirred by people who didn't pay for the product

#187765 - 01/08/13 08:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Why not more 'regulars' that are in their teens, 20's, and 30's that actively participate in PG forums ? - or are there ? [Re: Pat Marr]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Pat says>>> I'd hate to have to make a country song in FLStudio.

This has been an interesting thread. I think Pat answered the question right there...

I came (back) to Band-In-A-Box because I needed A BAND!!! I wanted REAL drums (not something going BSHSH..BSHSH.. over and over). I wanted someone playing piano. I wanted a fiddle. And a pedal steel!!!! Didn't even know I wanted a cello - but try to make me give THAT up now.

Teens and 20's, etc, "making music" today don't NEED a BAND. There is no longer a need (in that world) for musicians of any kind. They don't WANT it to sound real.

I, for one, hope that PGMusic NEVER, NEVER, EVER begins catering to that crowd.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

PG Music News
Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

Forum Stats
27128 Members
49 Forums
50309 Topics
412876 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Stephanus L, thatsastrat, Michael R. Boyce, Pierrott, Albert Galathea

27128 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 260