Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Hi all,

Recently in my guitar studies, my teacher has reminded me of the concept of tetrachords.

After many years of lessons and reading guitar method books, I've often seen the concept of tetrachords for explaining theory under different scales, but not in terms of developing a knowledge of one's instrument through them. Typically, most books give a full scale (on the guitar at least) fingering at least in one octave, or in an entire position (e.g. frets 3 through 5, all notes that fall within the scale).

But recently, the thought has occurred to me that one can mix and match a variety of tetrachords to build a variety of scales and soloing strategies with less mental effort, e.g. easier to combine 2 well understood tetrachords than memorize whole new scale fingerings - of course the outcome is the same (or maybe not ?).

Does anyone apply tetrachords in real time during their soloing, or do you think separate full ocatve scale tones (e.g. 8 for the modes, 5 for the pentatonics, etc.) ?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I was taught the tetrachords years ago when confronting the basic scales.

All Western Music Scales are actually derived from stacking two of the tetrachords in one way or another.

For example, the Major Scale consists of a Tetrachord, in steps, of 1-1-1/2

Followed by - 1 - 1-1-1/2

Notice that it begins and ends with the same tetrachord and that there is only a Whole Step in between the two.

The rest of the scales, minor in its three guises of Natural, Melodic and Harmonic, simply follow suit, but of course with different note spacings in most of the two spots.

Now here's the deal about using the tetrachords in improvisation, etc. -- We have to become familiar with them by rote practicing them until they are internalized. At that point, I'm not really thinking consciously about the thing much of the time, for there may not be time enough for that. Internalizing them means that we can select them rapidly, kind of like calling a MACRO in our brain, where we are not thinking about those steps and half steps in realtime, we just call it and go.

Then, we must practice all of those scales as well, always striving to make music out of them at the same time rather than rote up and down, up and down, try adding dynamics, try changing meter, etc. try playing the scales in Even and then in Swing, all sorts of rhythms and patterns, always striving to make them sound musical.

And at some point the entire scale then becomes a MACRO event as well. You don't have time to be thinking about which Tetrachord is matched with which in the heat of improvisation.

Tetrachords are but one aspect, though, it is very important not to try to use it as a crutch or shortcut in and of itself, that typically results in, well, bad results.

Ear Training, practicing playing well known to you melodies in all 12 keys without making mistakes, the actual transcribing of solos from recordings (do your own transcription if you really want to get there, purchasing printed transcriptions of solos only helps the person that originally did the transcribing...), developing an efficient practice regimen and endeavoring to keep at it on at least some sort of permanent basis, and, of course a heaping helping of Deep Desire are the only ways I know to "get there".

--Mac

Last edited by Mac; 07/08/13 02:46 PM.
Expert
Expert
Hi Joe,

Hmmm, I've never thought about tetrachords while improvising, maybe it would help me if I did. I've internalized my scales to the point where I can play them anywhere and in any key. That's not as hard as it might sound, though. If you practice anything enough it will become second nature.

To me, the key (at this point in time, anyway) is using chord tones to define the changes. Not for EVERY chord, but enough to define where the progression is going. One goal to work towards is to be able to arpeggiate every scale without thinkng about what notes you're playing. This will open up your ears, man, and make the journey even more exciting.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Joe

The only problem I see in using tetrachords as a basis for solos is that your focus will still be on pre-determined blocks of notes that you consciously impose on the material you're playing, albeit ones of smaller length.

The issue is that improvisation isn't just about using conscious strategies or pre thought ideas/notes to fill in or delineate the harmony of the moment so much an attempt to expand on the direction the tune is taking intervallically and in terms of important target points of resolution and of course it's all important emotional properties. This is the total structure of the tune that you have to get down and its a far more organic and liberating strategy than dividing up tunes into chords and scales that you deal with in isolation.

Often with the latter you often get results that are obsessively focussed on patterns, disjunct in terms of melodic and rhythmic flow of ideas and a feeling of the improvisation not 'breathing' or flowing naturally out of the tune. Knowing the deeper structure and properties of the tune allows your subconscious free reign and the possibility of surprise or spontaneity to make itself felt in your 'choices' for want of a better word. It's actually the music itself that 'chooses' at this point.

Another thing about tetrachords. Due to the fact they are constructed mostly in half or whole steps it can limit your view of the fret board and if you're looking to expand your awareness of all the intervals it would be better to internalise the basic scales as others have said. Then you can learn all the 3 and 4 note combinations the scale plays through. Play them and hear them over and over sequencing them throughout the scale and you'll develop a palette of interval moves your ear and memory guides you towards quite naturally of having to think about it.

The only problem is that this stuff never leaves you and it still becomes a 'muscle memory nervous tic' as it were. This can be variously viewed as a 'personal signature' or a limitation depending on how you view improvisation.

For me improvisation is best when you're not looking to play something that isn't suggested by the melody. it's about opening yourself up to tune letting it and your emotional response dicate the direction of your playing as much as any analytical standpoint.

Regards

Alan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,645
Posts735,412
Members38,526
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
theyearofjess, OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking
38,525 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 183
DC Ron 101
dcuny 89
rsdean 71
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.