Go To
#211878 08/11/13 02:09 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
I have ONE user style which I created. However in my understanding, that should not have any impact on my q. i.e. it should work for any style.
The sty has (B-RT/P-midi/RD/G-RT/S-midi)
Try as I might, I can't Erase the Piano track. I have tried "Right click on P and chosen erase track.". regened the sty, unfrozen all, made it to 'no patch" etc etc. but the piano just won't go away frown. And it stays yellow. I expect it to turn white. Am I right?
(What I want to do is to load a diff instrument to the P track,..... later. First I want to know how to erase what's there and make it a blank track.)

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
I can't remember how I got to this point. Just history from memory is...
I started with a new age sty and made some changes to the B and G. I liked what I heard, so created a User sty out of it.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The Style is regenerating the track every time you hit Gen/Play button (called just play in versions older than the current one).

This is by design and will happen on all the autoaccompaniment tracks that any style addresses. Typically, the Melody and Soloist tracks are the only two that remain static and don't get overwritten by the Style file.

If you don't want the Piano part to load at all, try using the "Save Song with Patches and Harmony" window, found under the File menu in BB, then only check the tracks you want it to generate on the LH side of that window (UNcheck Piano in this case) and Save the song from there.

Another method would be to use the F5 Bar Settings command and choose to MUTE that piano track for the entire song. This method might mean a slightly slower loading time if the muted track is a realtrack, because it will still load every time, but won't be heard at Playback.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
You can try muting the track, then freezing it.

A more elegant solution is to use stylemaker to import the piano instrument from one of the four BLANK styles dependening on if your style is based on 3/4 or 4/4 time and has even or swing feel. The BLANK styles are listed in the "Utility / Miscellaneous" style category. The 4/4 BLANK style memo states, "In the Stylemaker, you can easily delete an entire instrument from a 4/4 style by importing that instrument from BLANK.STY. Also use when importing an entire tune into BB."

The "Utility / Miscellaneous" category has 77 styles that you may not need often but it's nice to know they're there when you need them.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Another quick method is to save the track with a volume of 0.

This is a workaround for the Mute status not being saved with the song (which is a current Wishlist item). This method also has the disadvantage mentioned by Mac that the part will still take time to regenerate.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
If there is a Hi-Q or Super midi on the track.
You must go to that track setup and set the instrument selection to NONE.

Also sometimes Thru and Audio in the mixer can carry stuff with it.
Simply mute them...

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thank u all. I will use those suggested solutions.
But......May I know what the "Erase Track" command is used for? Can u provide a "...for e.g. if you want to...." type of statement please?

Veteran
Veteran
In the case of my posting above.
After you perform mentioned suggestions,
Then you use the erase track.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Guys,
Thanks for the workarounds. And yes I can use them.
BUT....
Here's my dilemma.
I get a song ready. Have RT/RDs in Base Piano and Drums.
Strings and Guitar are in yellow but supposedly have nothing in them because I have used a workaround to somehow 'mute' them. So now I have to mute all tracks and play the P and G all thru the song to confirm that there are no sounds in those tracks! And there is still no guarantee of that the next time I play it because they are still yellow.
Bottom line question is...Is there no way, having used workarounds, to make the "empty" tracks turn white?

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
There may be a way to turn them white, like maybe editing the Style file such that they are completely deleted and remembering to save that style file under a new custom name so that you don't overwrite the original style and thus lose it. In other words, I think that the Style file is what is turning on the Yellow color. To me, that is not a huge issue, but I can see how someone may be wanting to see the track color indicate here.

You don't have to listen to a track from end to end in order to find out if there are any MIDI notes on it. Just hit the big 8th note icon to the right of the songtitle window in the toolbar and take a look at the Notation Window, making sure that you have selected the track in question using the letter marker blocks for each track at the top of the Notation Window (B for Bass, P for Piano, etc.).

If you don't see any notes on the staff, then there aren't any MIDI notes being generated.

However, using the various MUTE commands for a track is not the same thing as Erase or Delete track. Muting simply turns the audio output of a track off, but leaves the MIDI notes intact. This command is often handy if, say, you yourself wish to play a particular instrument instead of allowing BB's autoaccompaniment to play that line. Thus the Yellow indicator is correct here, there ARE MIDI notes on that track, they are just not being heard at the time of Muting invocation.

These are not really workarounds, BTW, that is a matter of how you may be viewing things at the time. It does take a bit of experience with this program and there is a bit of a learning curve in order to understand the reasoning behind many of the commands. I do know the feeling, believe me. *grin* But this program would not be the great program it is if things were as simplified as we'd like them to be or assume things to be when first starting out trying to figure things out. We often make assumptions about the way things should be in our own way of thinking, rather than give pgmusic and BB the benefit of the doubt as to the reasoning behind many of the features and implementation. Everything is there by design and for a specific reason, though. At first it is a bit perplexing if you haven't been acclimated to such. Patience, experimentation, Help Files, the BB FAQ page, this forum, and the pgmusic Support Team are all there to assist, though.

Have Fun,

--Mac

T
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hey Mac,
Thanks for the long reply.
Your tip on "Just hit the big 8th note icon" was great. And you have helped me a lot. Thanks.

Re your reply "These are not really workarounds, BTW, that is a matter of how you may be viewing things at the time. It does take a bit of experience with this program and there is a bit of a learning curve in order to understand the reasoning behind many of the commands. I do know the feeling, believe me. *grin* But this program would not be the great program it is if things were as simplified as we'd like them to be or assume things to be when first starting out trying to figure things out. We often make assumptions about the way things should be in our own way of thinking, rather than give pgmusic and BB the benefit of the doubt as to the reasoning behind many of the features and implementation. Everything is there by design and for a specific reason, though. At first it is a bit perplexing if you haven't been acclimated to such. Patience, experimentation, Help Files, the BB FAQ page, this forum, and the pgmusic Support Team are all there to assist, though. "

Completely agree with you sir. And I am discovering more and more via the various forums as you may see from my posts etc. Re. BIAB 2012.5...It is undoubtedly the best thing that happened to my life. At the appropriate time, I will send a glowing note of appreciation to PG and his staff with much appreciation. That really includes people like you vets.

But to things at hand...I have not seen any reply yet to my question in a previous post...
"May I know what the "Erase Track" command is used for? Can u provide a "...for e.g. if you want to...." type of statement please?" .

I am trying to avoid holes in my learning... you know what I mean. smile
Cheers,
Chris

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If you are trying to ERASE TRACK on one of the Autoaccompaniment Tracks and are also using a Style File that is et to write an autoaccompaniment for that Track, then the Style will regenerate notes on that track when you hit the Gen/Play (or Play in versions older than the current, does the same thing).

Maybe that's what's going on?

Remember, only the Melody and Soloist tracks won't get rewritten by Style files.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,638
Posts735,344
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182