Print Thread
Go To
#215763 09/22/13 12:44 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert

https://soundcloud.com/lawrence-olivier/its-the-simple-things-remix

If you've ever heard of the state of "mindfulness" then this song might make sense. Lyrically inspired by a night of listening to Tom Waits, I wrote the lyric in fits over the course of a night and when I woke up I picked up the guitar and the music wrote itself as I read it back. It's a simple story of a circus that comes to town and sets up in a rainstorm. and the character goes from lying down to sitting up to walking across his room to looking out of his window at the first tent of the circus.

I added a thunderstorm and doubled a piano panned hard left and right. Left is dry and right is wet with reverb, then I recorded the song live - vocal and guitar, and stuck it in the middle.

I could stand here all night/ I could sit here all day
I don't know what I'm doing/ and I like it that way
There's a fan on my ceiling/ right where it should be
It's the simple things in life/ It's the simple things

I keep pennies in a jar I have two piano keys
I've got a crazy brother who gave them both to me
there's a window in my wall right where it should be
It's the simple things in life It's the simple things

Mother oh Mother/ where did I go wrong
was it something I said/ is it something I've done
look where this twisted road/ has taken me
did you know they use cement/ to bind the concrete
There's a footprint beneath me/ right where it should be
It's the simple things in life/ It's the simple things

I could stare at the sun I could lie 'neath the moon
I hear that the circus will be here soon
there's a tent in a field right where it should be
It's the simple things in life It's the simple things

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Gruverider,

I don't know what to say. This song is brilliant. The refrain
Quote:
Right where it should be
It's the simple things in life
It's the simple things
is incredibly powerful with its repetition and lack of rhyme. Then there's the verse development. Wow! It worked for me. And that ending!!! It left me sitting in my chair reflecting on life - absolutely perfect, I thought. I regret not having a glass of Shiraz on hand before I started listening!

I'm sitting here wondering if you tried the guitar in the intro instead of the electric piano. It would be interesting to hear and compare the two. To my ears, the electric piano had a feeling of coldness about it while the guitar in the outro sounded warm and relaxed and reminded me of sitting in front of a cosy fire on a cold and wet night.

Ok. I've got to head back for another listen.

All the best,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 09/22/13 02:05 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi gruverider,

+1 what Noel says.

Brilliant

George

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
+ 2 to what has been said.
Your voice has the lilt of Randy Newman and the song itself is hauntingly beautiful

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Gruve, What a great song. Nicely written and performed. I agree with Noel about the intro. It seemed excessively long and I don't know that it added anything to set the mood. But I don't want to take away from the fact that the rest of the song was excellent. It just took a long time to get there. Thanks for posting. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
you really know how to turn a phrase! The common denominator in your songs is the interesting terminology used to say what you have to say... and you do it so CONSISTENTLY!

I'm impressed

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the vocal. Cool lyrics.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Gruverider,

this is a beautiful song and it really
makes you think.
I like the voice.
The thunderstorm is a great idea. It adds a lot
to the mood.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow what a cool song. I love this style of music. Very well done. Neat story in lyrics

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lawrence,

Hopefully a night of Tom Waits included a lot of "The Heart Of Saturday Night" and "Closing Time".

If I had to have guessed, it would be you that spent the night listening to Randy Newman. But you can't go wrong with either...

I love everything about this. Man! this is good!!! Every single line. What a fine piece of songwriting!

Excellent vocal.

I liked the long opening, actually. I would have liked to hear a lonesome sax instead of the piano (tho' the piano was well done) - just seems more appropriate in the storm - something similar to the trumpet in Springsteen's "Meeting Across The River"...

Let me say again... MAN! This is good!

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah man, it's the simple things. And a relatively simple thing like this arrangement can be as powerful as that thunderstorm when it includes your vocal and lyrics. Wow. Janice and I enjoyed this immensely.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hi, Lawrence !

All evening I have been listening
to the ending of Sibelius 5th
and 2 nd symphonies (and some more
beautiful music), so I am in the mood
for listening to beautiful music like your
little sweet tune, which I found
just wonderful ! smile I liked everything about it !

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 09/22/13 02:06 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
And that ladies and germs is how to sell a song!

Excellent performance.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Lawrence
Outstanding vocal (I guess I am always biased towards good vocals!) I haven' read all the comments and don't know if it has already been said but it reminds me of Elvis Costello.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I really, really like that song. I'd definitely lose the piano intro and let the guitar start it.

I could hear this playing in a movie.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Riveting. Sparse. Bravo!

User Showcase
new user here. first post. good sound on this cut, nice song... sort of like if Randy Newman joined THE BAND. I think you should work on the bridge/chorus 'oh mama/mother' or whatever it was. the chords/changes seem too similar to the verses to me. I think you need more differentation there, might take it from being a really good song to a really really good song. just an opinion for whatever it's worth, still a really good song. +Rj

+Rj
memphis, guitar,keyboards, BIAB/Realband
... I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink ... matthew 25:35
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Beautiful vocal, the backing track simplicity was PERFECT for the song. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to listen and comment. It is a joy to be able to share my passion and to participate in a community with fellow song writers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is very special Lawrence. The song drew me in like a tractor beam. First class music from the heart, thanks for bringing this to us. The unresolved guitar motif at the end is a masterstroke. After I heard it all through the piano intro kind of made poignant sense.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,637
Posts735,343
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182