Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I just tuned in at SJ only to find two teenage girls chatting to another girl on their cell phones. No music within 10 minutes lost me as a viewer.

I fear that we will see too much of that abuse in the future. Isn't that what Skype is for?

This is up to the entity running the site to police this. This would be one reason to somewhat avoid this site if it's not policed.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I tuned in the other day and there was a guy just sitting there noodling on his guitar. He wasn’t playing a song or improvising. He was doing what a lot of us might do while watching TV, just holding the guitar and messing around. He never even attempted to play a song.

Then today I went there and started watching a guy and he was just playing the last bar or so of a song. He then said “I had to click ignore on my phone just a minute ago during the song so I’m gonna go return that call now. I’ll be back in a few.” He then checked his hair to make sure it looked good and then turned the camera around and kept broadcasting a picture of his bookshelf.

Needless to say, I tuned out. I don’t know how prevalent that kind of thing is on StreetJelly, but it’s not good for their rep.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
... This is up to the entity running the site to police this. This would be one reason to somewhat avoid this site if it's not policed.

What's up with all the negativity? The founders of the site have visited almost every show I have put on. The site has a family feel to it. Some things happen that might not seem "kosher" but kids (and adults) can't seem to stay off the phones these days, no matter what!

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
The site has a family feel to it.

Although I do not see it as you do (above) I didn't take the post as negative.
He was referring to those being on the broadcast and doing nothing but taking up band width just to be seen on line.
To me...that defeats and clutters the purpose of the site.

That's my take on it....but, I've been wrong in the past. smile

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/08/13 11:36 AM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
... This is up to the entity running the site to police this. This would be one reason to somewhat avoid this site if it's not policed.

What's up with all the negativity? The founders of the site have visited almost every show I have put on. The site has a family feel to it. Some things happen that might not seem "kosher" but kids (and adults) can't seem to stay off the phones these days, no matter what!

Kevin,

I guess this is one of those situations that body language or something else would be helpful - because this comment wasn't intended to have 'negativity' associated with it. It was an opinion, that if the moderators of the streetjelly site want it to be used for what appears to be a noble purpose of offering a live online music performance venue - then they will need to keep the non-intended use to a minimum.

I'm at a loss as to why that is seen as worthy of an 'all the negativity' comment from you. I would think that if they kept the folks off the broadcast part of the site that aren't doing actual performance, that would be better for both the real performers and the site in general. That's all I was saying.

I think it's a cool idea. An idea that if it is to take off, probably needs some oversight.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
even though I've chosen to participate at streetjelly, I can't disagree with anything that's been said.

Far from policing the content to create an image of quality, they actually seem to go the other direction, positively reinforcing any warm body that gets on stage. I've asked myself why, and the only answer I can come up with is that they are still trying to build momentum, still trying to get to a point where there is something going on 24-7

But they're far from that point... so until then, they focus on quantity. As participation increases, they can be pickier about who and what they encourage.

I can see the site going either way. If it goes up, the faithful members who hung in there until it clicked will be in on the ground floor, charter members more or less.

If it stalls, my personal goals will still be met: I'm using it as a way to ease back into performing in front of a "live" audience, refining my trax, all without having to schlep any heavy gear to and from gigs. Everything stays setup, and whenever I feel ready, I turn on the web cam. Easy. And fun.

It meets my needs perfectly, but I acknowledge that the site could be a PR liability for somebody who is trying to make a reputation for him/herself.

Having said that, there are a few killer musicians on there who have reduced their set to an acoustic and a voice. I've heard their recordings, and I'm trying to convince them to reclaim their full sound by using their own trax.

It will be interesting to see how the site evolves

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Far from policing the content to create an image of quality, they actually seem to go the other direction, positively reinforcing any warm body that gets on stage.
There are a few killer musicians on there who have reduced their set to an acoustic and a voice. I've heard their recordings, and I'm trying to convince them to reclaim their full sound by using their own trax.

BOLD 1: That is exactly how I see it.

BOLD 2: I look forward to catching said 'killer musicians' you refer to.
I have watched many over the last few days and have somehow missed all of them. smile

I hope the site becomes successful and the venue works for all BIAB'ers that participate.

Respectfully submitted.

Carry on.....

EDIT again: I've tried to listen to a couple performers and it plays for 10 seconds then stops. Same on my new 4gig memory laptop. Been that way for the last few hours.
I do have the latest Flash installed, tried opening FF safe mode and disabling AV and no luck.
Just tried IE (current) and exact same annoying behavior.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/08/13 07:11 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I tuned in the other day and there was a guy just sitting there noodling on his guitar...

Quote:
I look forward to catching said 'killer musicians' you refer to. I have watched many over the last few days and have somehow missed all of them. smile

one of the guys I was about to write off as a noodler, because the first time I saw him he was just dialing in his settings for about an hour playing misc nothings and apologizing about not knowing the words to any songs.. he turned out to be one of the best people I've found on there.

I wouldn't have known unless I scrolled down and played some of the links he had posted to his songs.

http://www.streetjelly.com/mikeconde

music is very subjective, but I like most of his songs a lot.

Also keep in mind the fact that Streetjelly's paradigm is open mic, only online. Open mic doesn't pretend to be a major venue populated by pros. Its a grass roots community access performing opportunity, more of a hobby than a profession. And so is SJ.

Most of the people there are the same people who would show up at an open mic. Likewise, people who look down on open mic will probably also look down on this. Its not for everybody.

It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't... but I think it is a great idea that is making its creator some money, and giving a variety of people a place to scratch a variety of itches. YMMV

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
The site has a family feel to it.

Although I do not see it as you do (above)...

I'd have to agree with Kevin on this. Your family usually loves you whether you deserve it or not, and the owners have done an outstanding job of making every performer feel welcome, appreciated and even financially valued. The vast majority of tips the performers get comes directly from the owners. They've got to be pouring most of their revenue right back to the people who are helping them keep the music flowing.

Consequently, the core group of participants there are fiercely loyal to the owners and to each other. It rivals this forum for its civility and comfort level of being there. I've spent a lot of time on internet forums, and only a few that I've seen have managed to achieve that level of comraderie

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think it’s a great concept and may already be a great thing. I keep checking back to see who’s playing. Today I checked in after my last post and all I could see was a large beer belly on the left, a guitar on a stand in front of a wall in the middle, and occasionally a black and white cat would walk by the camera.

I kept leaving and coming back. Same thing, same cat. Then Kevin commented in the SJ text box informing the guy about our discussion on here. The next time I came back the guy, (I think his name was Robbie), had stopped broadcasting his beer belly and his cat.

No doubt the cat was relieved. wink

Maybe SJ can let it’s performers know they shouldn’t broadcast unless they’re going to play or their cat is really talented.

So far, Pat, John and Kevin are the only ones I’ve seen that actually take it seriously and played sets.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
EDIT again: I've tried to listen to a couple performers and it plays for 10 seconds then stops. Same on my new 4gig memory laptop. Been that way for the last few hours.
I do have the latest Flash installed, tried opening FF safe mode and disabling AV and no luck.
Just tried IE (current) and exact same annoying behavior.

that usually originates with the sender's lack of bandwidth, not with SJ. SJ is actually very well programmed. It is cloud-based and dynamically acquires its own resources as needed. From their end there should be no decline in performance if there are 2 or 22 performers streaming audio and video simultaneously.

But, if the sender is streaming from a coffee shop with wifi, and the available bandwidth there is being divided among all of the patrons, The senders available bandwidth may not be sufficient to stream both audio and video in real time.

In that case, SJs system prioritizes the audio and lets the video have whatever is left. So if you see choppy video, its the performers resources that are lacking, not SJs

But, regardless of the reason, it is frustrating to watch.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Maybe SJ can let it’s performers know they shouldn’t broadcast unless they’re going to play or their cat is really talented.

lol! clever and funny observation. I agree.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
... Today I checked in after my last post and all I could see was a large beer belly on the left, a guitar on a stand in front of a wall in the middle, and occasionally a black and white cat would walk by the camera.

I kept leaving and coming back. Same thing, same cat. Then Kevin commented in the SJ text box informing the guy about our discussion on here. The next time I came back the guy, (I think his name was Robbie), had stopped broadcasting his beer belly and his cat.

No doubt the cat was relieved. wink...

LOL -- there is a chance that the guy forgot that he was broadcasting???? Of course, one time I caught his act and he was feeding his cat treats! ... and then he ate a sandwich on screen! Those kinds of things are super irritating -- but I think you have to take the good with the bad.

My favorite act so far was a male/female duo call The Folk and The Feeling (or something like that). They were broadcasting under the guy's account called "Ezerlance". They were amazing, both great musicians and singers and writers. They were far above and beyond anything else that I have seen there. I "favorited" them, so if they rebroadcast in the future, I will let you all know.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
[quote]that usually originates with the sender's lack of bandwidth, not with SJ. SJ is actually very well programmed. But, if the sender is streaming from a coffee shop with wifi, and the available bandwidth there is being divided among all of the patrons, The senders available bandwidth may not be sufficient to stream both audio and video in real time. But, regardless of the reason, it is frustrating to watch.

I was just hoping it wasn't on my end for some enigmatic reason.
I was getting that annoying behavior with all three 'on air' people I was checking out so I gave up.
Thanks for clarification.

As stated, it's an open mic for anyone and those that are comfortable with their song writing and musicianship have a site to do it.

Yes Pat....the operative phrase "music is very subjective".
Personally, I have no interest in watching someone practice, ad-lib, noodle or fuffle through songs with intermingled small talk.
My observation, I've seen much of just that so far but I'll keep checking for other BIAB performers. smile

It will be interesting to see how the site evolves.

Carry on....

EDIT: Pat....I just read your SJ Bio.
This criteria "The goal is a presentation that flows seamlessly without "dead time" is what would pique my interest to listen to those that participate.
Good luck on you 10/12 date. smile

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/09/13 10:28 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
EDIT: Pat....I just read your SJ Bio.
This criteria "The goal is a presentation that flows seamlessly without "dead time" is what would pique my interest to listen to those that participate.
Good luck on you 10/12 date. smile

interesting that you picked up on that in light of the current discussion. I set that as a goal after watching way too many SJers NOT flow seamlessly.

thanks for the well-wishes.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
interesting that you picked up on that in light of the current discussion. I set that as a goal after watching way too many SJers NOT flow seamlessly. thanks for the well-wishes.

You're welcome....

Although I don't recall what I had for breakfast I'm going to try and remember that 10/12 @ 09:00 left coast time you will be courageously performing smile
I remember the sweating palms during my very early live band days during the Pleistocene Epoch.
In a band I have no inhibitions.
Playing solo and me perceiving my vocals as a dull chain saw puts my stomach in tightly wound knot.

Well...'in light of the current discussion' I do look at all bio's and I'm still going to peruse the site.
One never knows what one may find.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/09/13 02:29 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Darn I missed da cat!

My 2 cents . . . Since Kevin turned me on to this site I have clicked in many times and have found a lot of what some of you guys have already mentioned regarding acts not being ready, too much down or even chat time involved, here comes "da but". But, when I take into consideration the participants and yes many are talented songwriters and/or musicians but I have seen very few who IMHO have either no experience performing before live audiences or just feel so relaxed with their SJ audiences they maybe they feel they do not have to perform a well planned set. Now this is pure speculation on my part.

Keep in mind I am not saying either is a bad thing. In fact I give kudos to the site because of not holding the participants to meet any preset criteria.

With this said, and I did not catch Kevin's show yet, this is why (in my mind anyway) I know Pat's set/show was a well planned set because it was well performed and entertaining as well. I can't wait to catch John, Josie's, Joanne's and Kevin's sets, in fact I may be doing something myself in a few weeks. (Shameless plug)

Later,

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
it would be cool if someone could ask PG to add a sticky just for posting updated schedules of performances. I keep meaning to check some of you guys out but end up forgetting or cannot find the post with the date, etc.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
DannyC.....

In all my subjectivity my perceptions are a bit different than yours . smile

So...I'm only going to say best to you with your upcoming gig on the site.
I can easily relate to the excitement of playing to an audience.

Do keep us informed of your booking date and I'll try to add to the 'viewer' field.

Carry on....

EDIT: John3x has good suggestion IMO.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 10/09/13 05:56 PM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Lani Lei is on right now, nice voice - singing into her headset mic, but her background music is not playing.

Kurt- is also live, and he has a decent mix going and some nice woody sounding fingerpicking acoustic guitar.

What I'm wondering - what benefit does this have over simply recording videos for playback on YouTube?

Here comes his first transition - flipping through sheet music while the drum machine and 4 chord sequence goes on and on.....noodling, noodling....

This has been going on about 5 minutes - same chord sequence, and the words 'frozen generation, we are', repeated ad nauseum. This guy is clearly trying to write this song live in front of his online audience.

Is this typical?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,639
Posts735,351
Members38,524
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
OlvaJownDay, Tranner Track, Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR
38,524 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182
DC Ron 98
dcuny 89
DrDan 70
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.