Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#16883 - 03/12/09 07:49 PM Some advice for loud parties?
Rachael Offline
Expert

I just had a frustrating gig at a 100+ person cocktail party. Before the gig, I set the PA and volume of BIAB to what I thought was a good level. However, during the party the people got so loud, I could not hear the BIAB backing or myself playing. I got lost playing a few time making it a bad hair night. I figured if I turned up the volume the people would get louder so I just dealt with it.

I'm fairly new to playing gigs by myself. I have an Eon10 PA and Roland KC350 KB amp. I play keyboards thorough the KC350. BIAB also feeds into the KC and I feed the KC signal into the Eon for additional support. I sing only through the Eon. I have a monitor but I didn't use it tonight because I was playing right next to the KC. Perhaps that was the problem.

Just wondering what I could do different or should I do anything at all?

Thanks
Rachael

#16884 - 03/12/09 08:35 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
Lawrie Offline
Expert

Loc: NSW, Australia
In ear foldback is discrete and probably easier to use in a loud environment than a monitor... Can cost for good gear though.

#16885 - 03/13/09 06:35 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
We used Hot Spot monitors and found them to work extremely well in these types of situations. We used the ones with a volume control as it gave each musician control over their monitors and also virtually eliminated feedback. They have a very small footprint, can be placed on a mic stand (that’s how we used them – we raised them to ear level) and only cost around $130 USD.

I hope this helps.

#16886 - 03/13/09 08:39 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: MarioD]
davemilleruk Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Devon UK
Hi Rachael,

I have been gigging for many years and I think the answer is one you touched on, you need to get louder or be lost! I don't use monitors but I always have a good line of sight (or ears) to my PA. I don't intentionally play loud but if it gets noisy, so do I. I like to stay on top. Alternatively you could always scream at them to be quiet ! (Just kidding ;o)

Good Luck,

Regards,

Dave.

#16887 - 03/13/09 10:44 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: davemilleruk]
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Texas
When this happened to me a few months ago, I fired an 1847 Walker Colt replica pistol into the air. People got quiet in a hurry. Unfortunately, I shot out a mini-spot and choked myself on the smoke, so it's not always a practical approach.

Probably not recommended outside of Texas either.

#16888 - 03/13/09 10:44 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: davemilleruk]
Rachael Offline
Expert

I appreciate the replies. I figured if I turned the volume up, the people would talk louder to be heard. Maybe if I lowered the volume, they would talk softer...nah! Well I guess that comes with providing 'background' music. I hate that term.

I think I'll keep the volume low and use my monitor.

Rachael

#16889 - 03/13/09 05:28 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Axegrinder01]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Quote:

When this happened to me a few months ago, I fired an 1847 Walker Colt replica pistol into the air. People got quiet in a hurry. Unfortunately, I shot out a mini-spot and choked myself on the smoke, so it's not always a practical approach.

Probably not recommended outside of Texas either.

Hey Axegrinder, I used to play joints where they issued you a weapon at the door if you forgot your's at home. I know where you are coming from.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#16890 - 03/13/09 05:37 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Danny C.]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Rachael,

The answers are in your question and comment. Your monitor is like your American Express card, never leave home without it. (I use a little powered Roland Cube built into my music stand right under my PA head) The second part is crank'er up man!

I start with what to me is a very nice volume level. One that people can hear conversations over and still hear the music. But as I am in control of the dial, I adjust accordingly. With that said I dare them to get louder than me.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#16891 - 03/13/09 06:38 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Danny C.]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Next time try elevating the keyboard amp.

Like set it on a chair.

Or perhaps tilt it back to the wall such that the speakerboard is at least pointing at an angle upwards.

Can make a huge difference in what you hear in a pinch like that, midrange and treble being most of the information content and directional.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#16892 - 03/14/09 09:39 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Danny C.]
davemilleruk Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Devon UK
Quote:

Rachael,

But as I am in control of the dial, I adjust accordingly. With that said I dare them to get louder than me.

Later,

You got it Danny! ;o)

#16893 - 03/16/09 02:40 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Axegrinder01]
Skyline Offline
Expert

Loc: Warwickshire, UK

Ha-ha! LOL. Love it. I can smell it now!
In the UK that would cause complete PC pandemonium followed by three to five in chokey.

John
BIAB 2014
Sonar X3e Producer
Studio One Professional V2 2.6

#16894 - 03/16/09 02:52 AM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: davemilleruk]
Skyline Offline
Expert

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
In our band we break the cardinal rule and have the pole mounted PA cabs slightly behind our 'ears line' and therefore the mic line. Careful setup is necessary to avoid feedback but it works for us in terms of overall foldback.
Like all of us here I guess we try and moderate levels to the needs of the gig (much louder if there's a lot of soft furnishings and closeup people, etc.) but err on the louder side so we keep people's attention and the level of 'excitement' up. Also, a large Mackie sub helps.

John
BIAB 2014
Sonar X3e Producer
Studio One Professional V2 2.6

#16895 - 04/01/09 03:04 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Rachael]
Ryszard Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

. . . I think I'll keep the volume low and use my monitor.

Rachael

Actually, that is an old soundman's trick--if the crowd is talking too loud, turn yourself down. Sometimes it works.

LOL,

R.

#16896 - 04/01/09 03:17 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: Ryszard]
abaudio Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Netherlands
We used to do the party volume test trick. Well that is, we did it on parties, not on gigs. We would graduattelly move up the volume until everybody was screaming their lungs out. Then in a second we lowered the volume completely. People get a bit embarrassed when they scream and everybody can hear them. We always saw people all of sudden start to whisper and looking a bit around them. then we would put the volume back to a normal level. Ah well, maybe not really a practical approach when doing gigs, it might be your last performance there, but I thought I just share an old story here...

#16897 - 04/01/09 04:13 PM Re: Some advice for loud parties? [Re: abaudio]
Luvs3rds Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I think that is what has irratated me most when playing at a party or whatever, when I start losing their attention. It happens at gigs, or small parties. Keeping audience involvement is hard. It's not easy to keep yourself from thinking, "Why am I even here?" . Probably dialing in the demographics of the crowd quickly, by trying different sets, and mixing the songs up, detirmines what mood they're in. If they're in a raunchy, drinking rock/blues mood, and you play a country ballad, they will light up cigarettes, grab a beer, and talk all the way thru the song. Only clapping when the song is over, because of habit, not because they even heard any of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Shout Box (Live chat with other users)

PG Music News
Take A Look At What We Found!

Do you recognize one of the programs in this "Meet Jazz Sax Man - Elias Haslanger" video by Dell?!

Video: How to Search for and Replace Chords in Band-in-a-Box

Replacing chords in your Band-in-a-Box song is easy! Watch our "How to Search for and Replace Chords in Band-in-a-Box" video and you'll see!

Video: Band-in-a-Box Medley Maker

RealTracks medleys are special groups of RealTracks that play in sequence. Watch this video to learn how you can make your very own RealTracks medleys in Band-in-a-Box.

RealTracks, RealDrums & MIDI SuperTracks Patch

There is a new general maintenance patch for RealTracks, RealDrums, and MIDI SuperTracks. Not only does the patch includes all of the recent fixes and enhancements for files shipped in 2013 and 2014, we've also added "Simple" variations to hundreds more previously released RealTracks. For more information and to download the patch click here.

RealTracks Compatibility Patch

This patch is for customers who purchased RealTracks Sets that were released after their Band-in-a-Box/RealBand version was released, and are having trouble getting the new RealTracks to be recognized by the program. Download the patch here.

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box 2014

You've bought Band-in-a-Box 2014 and you're ready to start using the program! After you install the program you will be prompted to activate Band-in-a-Box within 30 days. This can be done over the Internet or by phone. Watch how to activate your Band-in-a-Box 2014 here.

Video - RealBand: Batch File Convert

With RealBand 2014 you can save lots of time by batch converting your various audio files, RealBand SEQ files, or Band-in-a-Box song files to an audio format of your choice. Watch the video to see how fast and easy you can do this.

Forum Stats
21878 Members
41 Forums
28825 Topics
227197 Posts

Max Online: 1063 @ 07/10/13 09:12 AM
Newest Members
PercyJeffries80, accavazos, nestorcuberos, yorkadan, Marke

21878 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Mac 114
dani48 100