You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#224563 - 12/01/13 06:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] User Tracks
alfstone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Palermo, Sicily, Italy
I read:

UserTracks added. Now you (or others) can make your own RealTracks (guitars, pianos, strings, etc.). To make your own RealTracks, simply record tracks in Band-in-a-Box, RealBand or any DAW, and name your UserTracks, and add them to the UserTracks folder in Band-in-a-Box (or RealBand). They are now ready to use, the same as you use other RealTracks!

Does it mean that I have necessarily to RECORD a track?

OR

...(since it's written that I can use any DAW), could I use any wav file, even existing one?

An example: suppose I have single backing tracks for an existing song (e.g. Money for Nothing, Dire Straits). Could I use the bass, or the rhythm guitar of that song to make a UserTrack, and then use it in any new song with BIAB?

#224565 - 12/01/13 06:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi alfredo,

I haven't yet had a chance to play around with the creation of User tracks. My understanding is that any audio can be used. How effective it is, I don't know.

One thing you need to be aware of though, is that if you are using custom riffs from backing tracks, copyright applies to those.

As soon as a get a chance, I'll start playing around. There are some sample files that come with the new BIAB so that a person can practise.

Regards,
Noel

#224567 - 12/01/13 06:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Noel96]
alfstone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Palermo, Sicily, Italy
Hi Noel,

just thanks for your kind answers to my questions.

#224577 - 12/01/13 07:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
As I understand it, you could use those tracks but you would need to create a BIAB file of the chords to the song. Noel is correct to be concerned with copyright here, because the resulting playing in a new song could have recognizable licks.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#224600 - 12/01/13 08:52 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

That's a pretty interesting question here. To my understanding, it is allowed to use a few bars of otherwise copyrighted tunes and songs. Cutting up such a song into bits and pieces and recycle its bits somehow differently was never a question in the past - imagine some tune sort of scambled via some grinder - who would have wanted to listed to such a jam.

With bits and pieces recycled via Band-in-a-Box, though, it appears feasible now to jam along in some reasonable sense. First time in history.

Plus it's all about backing tracks and harmonies, which usually cannot be copyrighted. Copyrighting usually is all about melodies and songs.

#224601 - 12/01/13 08:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
User tracks? How did I miss that one? Where do I find the information?

Thanks,
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#224603 - 12/01/13 09:01 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Notes Norton]
MartinB Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Where do I find the information?

Don't pass GO, go directly to the Homepage ...

#224673 - 12/01/13 11:57 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Thanks!

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#224687 - 12/01/13 12:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I would imagine this would add in a very great opportunity to add Ohhs and Ahhs and other harmonies to a song with ease.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#224706 - 12/01/13 01:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Notes Norton]
earl kirby Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mountain Home, Arkansas
I expect to see the Norton user real tracks appearing VERY soon!!

#224716 - 12/01/13 02:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
if this turns out the way I think it will, the free exchange of user tracks could blast some doors wide open. Until I get my brain wrapped around it, it will be fun to see what others come up with.

#224731 - 12/01/13 02:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Pat Marr]
Leon Carpenter Offline
Apprentice

Hi Noel. I updated to the 2014 EverythingPak and looking forward to all the new features. The ability to create UserTracks is the most welcome. My question is: will the RealCharts feature apply to UserTracks?------Leon

#224735 - 12/01/13 02:52 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Hey Leon, that's a great question we forgot to ask (I think). I'm going to guess No, because you are recording audio to make your UserTracks. To have RealCharts, you would have to convert that audio to MIDI. There are utilities that can mostly do that with single-instrument recordings.

But I could be completely wrong.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#224736 - 12/01/13 02:55 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Leon Carpenter]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
I'm betting we will soon see websites offering "Professional" User Tracks as well as the free ones from the upcoming user exchange here on the forum.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#224754 - 12/01/13 04:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

Is there a certain format that rt's follow like 4 or 8 bar patterns or loops

It's been a long time since I looked at a rt as a sound file but I seem to remember something like that.

Would you create several instrument tracks then merge to one?

Could you use loops?
Does anyone know yet?
Hey this is Christmas as far as I'm concerned smile
I just ordered 2014 and looking forward to what this might work into.
Wyndham

#224764 - 12/01/13 04:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Wyndham]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Originally Posted By: Wyndham
Is there a certain format that rt's follow like 4 or 8 bar patterns or loops

John - Silvertones - is likely the goto guy about User Tracks at the moment, he was the first to figure it out and announce success during the Beta.

As far as the patterns go, it seems to be fairly automatic from the way I've worked with it so far.

Quote:
Would you create several instrument tracks then merge to one?

I don't see why that couldn't be done, the way it works is that you either use the PGMusic supplied Template songfiles to play along with, or IMO better, create your own songfile and Chord Progression and then play along with that.

It would then also work with an edited Audio track in place of playing and recording it in one pass.

Quote:
Could you use loops?

If the loops were put together following the chord changes and key signature and tempo of that target songfile in BB, I would answer YES.

Quote:
Does anyone know yet?

Like I said above, Silvertones is the cat who got results first and possibly worked on that the most out of the beta test group.

Quote:
Hey this is Christmas as far as I'm concerned smile
I just ordered 2014 and looking forward to what this might work into.
Wyndham

My prediction is that you are gonna luvit.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#224783 - 12/01/13 05:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

OK here is a simple way to make a basic User RT. I'll give step by step.This will be for a Rhythm/Background Track.
1. navigate to bb/RealTracks/UserTracks
2. create a new folder inside of UserTracks folder & call it test.
4. Open BIAB and open up a song that you have been playing that has a lot of chord variations.
5. Setup BIAB for recording on the audio Track using ASIO.
6. Unfold the song to one big chorus.
7.Hit record and play the chords exactly as written. Different voicings are fine.YOU'RE TIMING MUST BE DEAD ON.
8.When done recording use the "Save As" to save the song to the "test" folder you made in step 2.
(. go back to the "test" folder and you'll see there are now 3 files;
a. *.sgu
b. *.wav
c. *.bt1
We are now ready to try it.
1. Open a blank chord sheet & type in chords or open another song.
2. Right click on one of the instruments
3. Choose "Select a user track for this track".You should see Test in the list.
4. Double click on test.The screen closes.
5. Click on "Generate and play".
^. That's it.
What you'll see is that the more elaborate the chord patterns and chord types are in step 4 the better the RT will be.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

#224824 - 12/01/13 06:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

thanks for the run down.
if one were musically challenged, ah, can't play an instrument, I seen to think , from what you said that a recording of chords via loops or other mechanical means might work as well, right?
Wyndham

#224829 - 12/01/13 06:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: alfstone]
Frankp Offline
Apprentice

User tracks... from a business perspective I can see pros and cons.

Seems to me that PG music is taking a risk on this.

This does make the product better and could create more brand loyalty.

On the other hand, it could devalue PG musics RealTracks as user tracks become available from third parties.

Will folks upgrade now as often as they use too?

#224839 - 12/01/13 07:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: User Tracks [Re: Frankp]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Originally Posted By: Frankp
User tracks...

On the other hand, it could devalue PG musics RealTracks as user tracks become available from third parties.

when you consider the fact that virtually ALL of PGmusic's real tracks are recorded by world-reknowned music pros, I'm thinking that hobbyist-created user tracks won't diminish the demand for the really good stuff.

The real value in the user tracks is that it gives us a way to have tracks that are tailor-made to what we want. Now when you hear it in your head, you can crank out a track that sounds like it instead of searching through a thousand RTs looking for something that's close enough to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows - User Programmable Functions

But, what if you want to be able to tell the program to do MORE than that?

Head to Chapter 14: User Programmable Functions within the online manual, and you'll learn more about programmable features like:

The StyleMaker
Create brand-new styles or edit existing styles!

Making RealDrums Styles
Template file included! You can either record a drummer, or you can piece together a wave file using drum loops!

The Harmony Maker
Create or edit your own (or existing) harmonies!

The Soloist Maker and The Melodist Maker
Define your own Soloists or Melodists in whichever style you'd like!

The Guitarist Maker
The program will intelligently arrange any melody to a guitar chord solo by inserting real guitar voicings throughout the piece. There are many preloaded Guitarists to choose from, or you can customize existing Guitarists’ settings or make your own Guitarists from scratch using this feature.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Forum Stats
28091 Members
57 Forums
54483 Topics
450626 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
sergio2018, Pellegrino, Vladislav, tjohnson1800, RickyWonder

28090 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 203
Matt Finley 144