#237470 01/27/14 07:37 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi There,

I'm working on entering notes for a melody line. Outside of biab, a tie is defined as linking to notes together, but in biab, ties are put in automatically. For me, that automatic tie that is put in biab is in the wrong place, according to the existing sheet music that I am looking at.I would like to position it in a different spot, but so far, Ive looked all over biab and cant find where to change it.

Also, is biab calling a "tie" some other name?

Thanks,
Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
BIAB will automatically extend each note until the next note (unless there is a long space). I'm assuming you are doing your notation entry using a mouse.

You can click on a checkbox for Rest and enter that to prevent a tie.

If you give us more detail about the melody you are trying to enter, we can get more specific.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Matt,

I made a screen capture to understand what I'm talking about. smile

http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=963668&part=2

Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: shannon88
Hi Matt,

I made a screen capture to understand what I'm talking about. smile

http://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=963668&part=2

Shannon

Hi Shannon

I couldn't get your link to work. Can you check and try again?

You can also embed a link into the post directly, using the second button from the left (next to the smiley face), when you create/reply to a post.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shannon

Another thought:

You can also directly attach your screen capture to the post, click the File Manager link below where you are entering your post, search for and add the image file.

HTH
Cheers
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
SnipImage.JPG

Try this. If it doesnt work, I can try your other suggestion.

Thanks,
Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
SnipImage.JPG

Try this. If it doesnt work, I can try your other suggestion.

Thanks,
Shannon

Still no good for me. Maybe try the other method?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2014-01-28_16-19-41.jpg (20.41 KB, 113 downloads)

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Ok, try this.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
biab-tie.PNG (9.64 KB, 107 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Hi shannon,

It might pay to have a look at the link below. It's a Youtube clip on PG Music's site that shows how to edit notation. It might solve your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twyl0qNMhBo

Band In A Box approaches notation entry very differently from any other program. Once you get the hang of it, it's a very efficient process.

Essentially, don't worry about the tie. When in notation mode, just click on the beat of part of the beat that you want the note to be on. BIAB will look after the note values when you select the subsequent note. If you want a rest, as Matt has said, simply click on the "Rest" checkbox and then click on the beat or part of beat that you'd like to have as a rest. Again, when you add the subsequent note, BIAB will automatically adjust the timing.

In relation to your diagram above, if the second E is deleted, the tie will become the red one you indicate.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shannon, exactly as per Noel's good advice, these are the steps:

2014-01-28_18-16-00.jpg (17.23 KB, 96 downloads)
2014-01-28_17-43-58.jpg (170.15 KB, 96 downloads)
Last edited by VideoTrack; 01/28/14 12:18 AM. Reason: Added 'Before' capture

Veteran
Veteran
Good advice and illustrations above. Let us know if this answers your question.

"All of Me"?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Matt, Yes! U caught me, it IS "All Of Me". smile

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
To Noel and VT,

Thank you for written instructions and your efforts. I already watched that video several times before coming here. Last night, when I put the post here, I was having a real difficult time with the notes. Without doing anything with the notes, I looked at the notes again today and what I was having difficulty with, is no longer a problem. It fixed it itself. Im wondering if, when I went to save my work last night, if the notes shifted a bit when I went to save. Who knows. If something happened like this again, being the notes are giving me fits like last night, I will come back here to this post.

I do have another small question though. From the existing sheet music that I am entering into biab, I am entering the exact notes. From the existing sheet music, the notes plays fine on a keyboard, but when I enter it into biab, that same last note in the 3rd measure (that was playing fine on keyboard), sounds like it is an extra note that shouldn't be there. Almost there is a glinch in biab.

Overall, I am concerned about the ties in biab, or lack thereof, because aren't ties, linking one note to the second note suppose to sound like a continuation of the 1st note? So if biab decides not to put a tie in the biab sheet music, when the tie is originally there on the existing sheet music....do u see my point? smile I have a measure like that, and I went into "chord options" under "rests" and put a "hold chord" and the biab song still sounds not right, glichy. Have you run across something like that before?

Thanks,
Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
To Noel and VT,

I do have another small question though. From the existing sheet music that I am entering into biab, I am entering the exact notes. From the existing sheet music, the notes plays fine on a keyboard, but when I enter it into biab, that same last note in the 3rd measure (that was playing fine on keyboard), sounds like it is an extra note that shouldn't be there. Almost there is a glinch in biab.

Check the MIDI data to see if there is an extra note.

This might be determined by whether a Swing or Even style has been selected. Maybe there is a double note.
In image 1: below, I entered your notes over a Swing style,
2: shows the MIDI data note positions for the Swing Style
3: below, I entered your the same notes over an Even style,
4: shows the MIDI data note positions for the Even Style. Note the timing position of the E5 now.

It's worthwhile checking the MIDI data for any duplicated notes.

Overall, I am concerned about the ties in biab, or lack thereof, because aren't ties, linking one note to the second note suppose to sound like a continuation of the 1st note? So if biab decides not to put a tie in the biab sheet music, when the tie is originally there on the existing sheet music....do u see my point? smile I have a measure like that, and I went into "chord options" under "rests" and put a "hold chord" and the biab song still sounds not right, glichy. Have you run across something like that before?

Did you mean Chord Hold as in "C..." ? That shouldn't affect the position or playback of your MIDI note data.

If it is from the MIDI notation, this could depend on how you are entering your data. If it is step entered (manually entered) if might look OK but sound 'mechanical', unnatural if you like. Muso's rarely play exactly on the rigid timing positions that a notation score shows - especially in Swing Styles.

The data entry in BiaB is rather unique, essentially it 'assumes' a note is meant to keep playing until it encounters another note, or encounters a rest. This way, you don't have to enter note length, just pitch, the rest takes care of itself (largely) as further notes are added. It takes a bit of getting used to, but overall works relatively OK.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Ties and positions of same. For MIDI data, the program will play notes exactly where Note ON events occur, regardless of ties. There's no MIDI data for Ties.

HTH

Cheers
Trev

BTW: Matt, Good pickup on "Name That Tune" !

2014-01-29_14-42-01.jpg (58.05 KB, 65 downloads)
2014-01-29_14-46-26.jpg (47.54 KB, 65 downloads)
2014-01-29_14-49-17.jpg (62.14 KB, 65 downloads)
2014-01-29_14-51-25.jpg (50.71 KB, 65 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
There are also a couple of other ways that will let you see and adjust notes ...

Alternative way 1

Have to have a look at the bar in Piano Roll mode. If you want to, you can lengthen or shorten the note there, too.

If you place the mouse cursor at the end of the note in Piano Roll Mode (#1), it's possible to drag the note and make it longer or shorter (#2).

Alternative way 2

Have a look at Staff Roll Notation Mode. This is beside the Note Entry Mode when in Notation Editor. It's a really powerful way of entering notes and you can use the right mouse button to drag the note to any length you prefer.

Place the mouse cursor in the middle of the note-head, press the right button and drag to the right to create the desired note length. The blue horizontal line indicates how long the note is.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran

Overall, I am concerned about the ties in biab, or lack thereof, because aren't ties, linking one note to the second note suppose to sound like a continuation of the 1st note? So if biab decides not to put a tie in the biab sheet music, when the tie is originally there on the existing sheet music....do u see my point? smile

Thanks,
Shannon

Shannon, I missed answering part of your request.
The curved line joining notes together has two very specific functions:

1:
If the curve joins two notes of the same pitch, it is referred to as a Tie, and the second note is not played, but the time of the first second note is added to the first note (the length of play is extended).

2:
If the curve joins two notes of different pitch, the second note is played, but the line identifies a 'slur', indicating that all of the notes contained within the slur should be played smoothly, connectedly, 'legato' in style.

In your example, we have been referring to "ties", so the second note should definitely not play.

Are you seeing 'tied' notes in your notation, and the second note on the same pitch also plays?

If so, can you send the BiaB Song file (PM me if required). It will be interesting to investigate.

Cheers

Trevor

Last edited by VideoTrack; 01/29/14 10:44 AM. Reason: 'first' incorrectly used instead of 'second'

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Everybody!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to the forum (due to a bad cold) to thank you for all your help! With all of your help, it makes alot of sense now! Thank you again!

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Overall, I am concerned about the ties in biab, or lack thereof, because aren't ties, linking one note to the second note suppose to sound like a continuation of the 1st note? So if biab decides not to put a tie in the biab sheet music, when the tie is originally there on the existing sheet music....do u see my point? smile

Thanks,
Shannon

Shannon, I missed answering part of your request.
The curved line joining notes together has two very specific functions:

1:
If the curve joins two notes of the same pitch, it is referred to as a Tie, and the second note is not played, but the time of the first second note is added to the first note (the length of play is extended).

2:
If the curve joins two notes of different pitch, the second note is played, but the line identifies a 'slur', indicating that all of the notes contained within the slur should be played smoothly, connectedly, 'legato' in style.

In your example, we have been referring to "ties", so the second note should definitely not play.

Are you seeing 'tied' notes in your notation, and the second note on the same pitch also plays?

If so, can you send the BiaB Song file (PM me if required). It will be interesting to investigate.

Cheers

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Areas were they are tied together on the existing sheet music, Im unable to duplicate the two notes that are tied when I enter them in the notation window. I know about the staff roll and that is where I do most of my entering (notes). So I know about the horizonal lines, in increasing them and decreasing them to make a longer or short note. Ive tried everything I can think of to tied the two notes together. A few times in works, but most of the time it does not work so it throws off the song. Ive experimented alot during the tie situation, learned alot in the process, but still cant figure it out. ..And there's no rhythm or reason for this. It should work every single time, but does not. Any more suggestions? I'm heading over to the piano roll to see if that works, although I have my doubts.

Shannon

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,635
Posts735,286
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ely Bass, Barking, SYOTR, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 181